Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
82 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 31 »

Re: Whole Foods in JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Pssssst. The Hoboken Shop Rite has a better fish department - and you get to miss all the craziness that is the JC location. And if you're coming home via the 33rd Street PATH, Citarella sits right atop the 9th Street station.

The whole point is that I shouldn't have to plan to go to Hoboken or to the City to buy groceries. Access to healthful, fresh food should not be too much to ask of a large "up and coming" urban environment.

Good lord. Do you have any other First World problems you'd like to discuss?

"I had to look at poor people while I bought my Belgian Tilapia!"

Posted on: 2014/10/16 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Pssssst. The Hoboken Shop Rite has a better fish department - and you get to miss all the craziness that is the JC location. And if you're coming home via the 33rd Street PATH, Citarella sits right atop the 9th Street station.

The whole point is that I shouldn't have to plan to go to Hoboken or to the City to buy groceries. Access to healthful, fresh food should not be too much to ask of a large "up and coming" urban environment.

Agreed, you shouldn't have to. But 'til then, you can't really starve or eat processed food. So, you cope. They entire retail scene in JC is abysmal. I made one of my rare trips to Newport Mall a few weeks ago and discovered the Gap is no longer there. Not that I ever get anything from there besides some basic t-shirts. But an American mall without a Gap? Unheard of.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 13:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/16 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/16 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
I do:( I just went to ap after work and paid $16 for some seabass, the plastic wrap got ripped banging against some cans in the bag on the way home. Didnt even realize it until I got in the rush hour elevator - the rotten fish smell was so overwhelming. Everyone in the elevator was looking at me going wtf is wrong with this kid... When I got home and inspect it fish had some white slime on it and stank my entire apt. Needlessly to say I threw it out - so sick of this crap. Had the same thing happen to me in Morton Williams too with their shrimps and scallops. We need a good supermarket!

PS the paulus hook public elementary is actually very good rated 8 in great school, it's an open secret most newcomers dont realize jersey city has a good elementary. So I be ok school wise here. Just kinda tired of lack of quality grocers. Fresh direct only gets you so far.

What can I say? I feel your pain! I try to follow a pescatarian diet, and I just don't feel like we have any good fish options in town. Several people here have said that Shoprite is decent for fish, but I rue my every visit there, so I just get my fish needs fulfilled at WF (in Tribeca on my way home, or Millburn on weekends) and sometimes get some of the frozen stuff from TJs. We definitely need a decent fishmonger in town. A business like that would do some serious business by virtue of being the only one.

About the PH elementary, I have heard great things about it. I don't have any elementary school aged kids, but it is good to know for when people ask. But, I do have question (thread hijack alert...): I had heard that some kids were no longer guaranteed a spot there due to overcrowding. Is that not true? Or, perhaps no longer the case? IIRC, kids that were sent elsewhere only had to do that for a year. Any information would be great. Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/10/16 11:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
I do:( I just went to ap after work and paid $16 for some seabass, the plastic wrap got ripped banging against some cans in the bag on the way home. Didnt even realize it until I got in the rush hour elevator - the rotten fish smell was so overwhelming. Everyone in the elevator was looking at me going wtf is wrong with this kid... When I got home and inspect it fish had some white slime on it and stank my entire apt. Needlessly to say I threw it out - so sick of this crap. Had the same thing happen to me in Morton Williams too with their shrimps and scallops. We need a good supermarket!

PS the paulus hook public elementary is actually very good rated 8 in great school, it's an open secret most newcomers dont realize jersey city has a good elementary. So I be ok school wise here. Just kinda tired of lack of quality grocers. Fresh direct only gets you so far.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 7:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
jcguy05 wrote: Quote:
bodhipooh wrote: Quote:
jcguy05 wrote: i am thinking about moving to edgewater just for the supermarket, they have wf, tj, AND mitsuwa. My 3 favorite supermarket for very different reasons. Meanwhile JC has none :( Only thing stopping me is the damn daily commute to newport i am told the traffic is insane during rush hour and the <10 mile commute takes 1.5 hours one way!
The traffic to/from Edgewater IS insane. I have ridden my bicycle there faster than it takes me to drive the same distance. There is no good route there. I have tried turnpike to 3, JFK all the way, multiple combinations of local roads, through Hoboken (using Bloomfield, Clinton, Washington, and Willow) and the best route I have figured out is via Paterson Plank Road from DTJC to 14th St, and then the god awful River Road. That whole area would BLOW UP in popularity if they had better road access into and out of it. If you ever get stuck in the River Road traffic, you will be stranded for what feels like an eternity trying to cover a relatively short distance. After the last time that happened to me, I swore off the area and now head out to Millburn for my WF/TJs fix. They don't have a Mitsuwa, but the peacefulness and much more pleasant crowd more than makes up for it.
yeah that's the general feedback about the commute. what do you think about taking the ferry from edgewater dock to manhattan, then transfer to another ferry from there to downtown jersey city? that was my other crazy idea, but noone seem to be doing it.
You must REALLY care about your supermarkets. :) Personally, if given a choice, I would stay in JC and simply head out west for my supermarkets needs (Millburn is about 15 to 20 minutes from DTJC, where you can find TJs and WF within a half mile of each other, and Woodbridge is about 25 to 30 minutes from DTJC, where you can find Wegman's). Of course, as per your other message, schools are an important consideration, so JC is probably not the best choice for you anyway.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Seriously, why is it that retail employees in this region feel it is OK to treat customers like shit??? How is it remotely acceptable for a customer-facing employee to curse or yell at a customer?

Have you ever worked in retail before? The answer is because many customers are very rude to the employees.

Also, while I have encountered quite a few supermarket employees who are obviously disinterested in their job, I've never encountered outright rudeness or cursing before. It's only my experience, but I'd bet that most of the rudeness is inflicted on the employees rather than the other way around.

You might be right (lots of rude people around this area) but I still can't fathom how it is remotely acceptable for an employee to be overtly rude to a customer.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
If you like boat rides, that sounds like a great idea...except it would cost a bundle. Have you thought about Weehawken? You'd be halfway to Edgewater but could use the light rail to commute.

I did the problem with weehawken is the schools are terrible and it's still a drive to the supermarkets in edgewater. I might as well be in Hoboken if I were to do that.

Anyway don't mean to derail this thread but not that there is much to discuss given the lack of progress.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you like boat rides, that sounds like a great idea...except it would cost a bundle. Have you thought about Weehawken? You'd be halfway to Edgewater but could use the light rail to commute.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
bodhipooh wrote: Quote:
jcguy05 wrote: i am thinking about moving to edgewater just for the supermarket, they have wf, tj, AND mitsuwa. My 3 favorite supermarket for very different reasons. Meanwhile JC has none :( Only thing stopping me is the damn daily commute to newport i am told the traffic is insane during rush hour and the <10 mile commute takes 1.5 hours one way!
The traffic to/from Edgewater IS insane. I have ridden my bicycle there faster than it takes me to drive the same distance. There is no good route there. I have tried turnpike to 3, JFK all the way, multiple combinations of local roads, through Hoboken (using Bloomfield, Clinton, Washington, and Willow) and the best route I have figured out is via Paterson Plank Road from DTJC to 14th St, and then the god awful River Road. That whole area would BLOW UP in popularity if they had better road access into and out of it. If you ever get stuck in the River Road traffic, you will be stranded for what feels like an eternity trying to cover a relatively short distance. After the last time that happened to me, I swore off the area and now head out to Millburn for my WF/TJs fix. They don't have a Mitsuwa, but the peacefulness and much more pleasant crowd more than makes up for it.
yeah that's the general feedback about the commute. what do you think about taking the ferry from edgewater dock to manhattan, then transfer to another ferry from there to downtown jersey city? that was my other crazy idea, but noone seem to be doing it.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Seriously, why is it that retail employees in this region feel it is OK to treat customers like shit??? How is it remotely acceptable for a customer-facing employee to curse or yell at a customer?

Have you ever worked in retail before? The answer is because many customers are very rude to the employees.

Also, while I have encountered quite a few supermarket employees who are obviously disinterested in their job, I've never encountered outright rudeness or cursing before. It's only my experience, but I'd bet that most of the rudeness is inflicted on the employees rather than the other way around.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Any time someone raves about Fairway it tells me they have never been to other cities in the US where great supermarkets have devoted followings, like HEB in Texas, and Publix in Florida.

OMG I was visiting a friend in FL and we stopped in a Publix to pick up some things. The bagger (yes, all the registers had baggers, smiling baggers!) helped us bring everything out to the car and then refused a tip. Amazingly friendly, helpful employees.

EXACTLY. It's the same at HEB: they usually have baggers (not at every aisle, though) and they have staff members available to help you bring the stuff back to your car, and will load the groceries for you, and no tipping allowed or expected. Just good ole customer service.

I have never been to an HEB, or Publix, and not be greeted with a smile from the cashier, and a warm greeting. Certainly, I have never been yelled at by an employee or cashier, which has happened to me (and I have witnessed happening to others, as well) in ShopRite. The fat troll that works in the "customer service desk" (btw, that hellhole cubicle area should be re-branded "customer purgatory and employee cursing zone") is the absolute worst. She curses under her breath all the time, and sometimes aloud, but she does it in Spanish and thinks she gets away with it.

My friend, you have obviously never visited the Publix on SW 27th Ave. in Miami. Stop by there on a Saturday evening and watch the madness you'll see from both customers and employees. It's like a Latin version of Mad Max.

You are right, I haven't. Still, my limited exposure to Publix (about 10 different ones) has always been good. I am sure there are exceptions to those, but Publix ranks second only to TJs in popularity according to most surveys.

As for the Latin version of Mad Max comment, that elicited a good chuckle. That's how I feel about the MetroPlaza ShopRite (particularly at the beginning of every month) and the Costco in Clifton any weekend.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2014/10/15 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i am thinking about moving to edgewater just for the supermarket, they have wf, tj, AND mitsuwa. My 3 favorite supermarket for very different reasons. Meanwhile JC has none :( Only thing stopping me is the damn daily commute to newport i am told the traffic is insane during rush hour and the <10 mile commute takes 1.5 hours one way!

Posted on: 2014/10/15 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Any time someone raves about Fairway it tells me they have never been to other cities in the US where great supermarkets have devoted followings, like HEB in Texas, and Publix in Florida.

OMG I was visiting a friend in FL and we stopped in a Publix to pick up some things. The bagger (yes, all the registers had baggers, smiling baggers!) helped us bring everything out to the car and then refused a tip. Amazingly friendly, helpful employees.

EXACTLY. It's the same at HEB: they usually have baggers (not at every aisle, though) and they have staff members available to help you bring the stuff back to your car, and will load the groceries for you, and no tipping allowed or expected. Just good ole customer service.

I have never been to an HEB, or Publix, and not be greeted with a smile from the cashier, and a warm greeting. Certainly, I have never been yelled at by an employee or cashier, which has happened to me (and I have witnessed happening to others, as well) in ShopRite. The fat troll that works in the "customer service desk" (btw, that hellhole cubicle area should be re-branded "customer purgatory and employee cursing zone") is the absolute worst. She curses under her breath all the time, and sometimes aloud, but she does it in Spanish and thinks she gets away with it.

My friend, you have obviously never visited the Publix on SW 27th Ave. in Miami. Stop by there on a Saturday evening and watch the madness you'll see from both customers and employees. It's like a Latin version of Mad Max.

I don't find Shop-Rite that bad, but maybe my standards have been lowered. I've found that the employees are about as courteous as you are to them.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
We were at the Fairway in West Paterson Saturday; somehow it always underwhelms me. At least they have a liquor store inside with the occasional bargain on wine.

I am with you. I have never understood why people are so crazy about Fairway. I think they are overpriced and not that great. But, compared to other regional chains (and, excluding TJs and WF) it is about the best we have, after Wegman's. In other words, of all the crappy supermarkets in this region, they suck the least. Any time someone raves about Fairway it tells me they have never been to other cities in the US where great supermarkets have devoted followings, like HEB in Texas, and Publix in Florida.

I agree. I have called the Fairways in Manhattan USA Lourdes. Old ladies who can barely walk throw away their canes and walkers and become elbowing aggressors. Recently had the misfortune of going to the one in Plainview, same crap. Also, what's with the cockamamy signs? The numbers all look edemitous. I continue to hope that DTJC gets a fish store and other specialty stores, rather than a big supermarket. The meat and F & V at Key Food continues to improve - this week they started selling more lamb and veal. Actually, I find it interesting to watch how their merchandise continues to improve. Also, the specialty grocer at 8 Erie (think Taleggio and Granas) and the pasta store on Jersey may fill in a few gaps too. On the other hand, I think the saddest thing in JC is the bus stop across Marin from Shoprite. Sad to live in a densely populated city and still not be able to walk to affordable quality food.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/15 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sure someone will chime in otherwise, but I've yet to hear anything negative about TJs. Great selection and great prices.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/15 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
We were at the Fairway in West Paterson Saturday; somehow it always underwhelms me. At least they have a liquor store inside with the occasional bargain on wine.

I am with you. I have never understood why people are so crazy about Fairway. I think they are overpriced and not that great. But, compared to other regional chains (and, excluding TJs and WF) it is about the best we have, after Wegman's. In other words, of all the crappy supermarkets in this region, they suck the least. Any time someone raves about Fairway it tells me they have never been to other cities in the US where great supermarkets have devoted followings, like HEB in Texas, and Publix in Florida.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Heck, sometimes I find and buy some nice products I would normally buy at WF, but at a much lower price.

Low prices at the Pathmark!?!?! Are you kidding me? As supermarket that caters to the ghetto it is certainly over priced. There is so much theft at that store that they build their pricing structure with a very high cost of theft. Not to mention going to that supermarket makes me extremely uncomfortable as it is certainly not the safest. I have witnessed several (yes, I said several) drug transactions take place there. That entire plaza is a waste of space. Bringing in whatever grocer as an anchor (a WF, TJs, Wegmens, Stew Leonards, etc) will change the entire vibe of that place and maybe even bring in other vendors so that they entire space is adequately utilized.

First of all, you quoted the wrong person. I am the one that said I could find products I normally buy at WF in that Pathmark, at a much lower prices. Which brings me to the next point on your lack of reading comprehension: I didn't make any claims as to the overall pricing levels of Pathmark. I simply stated that I could find the same product there as in WF, but at a lower priced. Case in point: Califia Farms Almondmilk. I normally pay about $7 at WF, but it costs 4.49 at Pathmark. The same goes for Horizon milk, which retails at Pathmark for about a dollar or two less than at WF. In fact, Pathmark has a lower price on Horizon than ShopRite or Target.

As to your overall point that Pathmark is overpriced (which you have made in other threads) I find the claim ridiculous and unsubstantiated. I (sparingly) shop there out of convenience (it is closer to me than ShopRite, and I despise ShopRite and the madhouse it is) and the prices are about the same on most every day products. ShopRite has VERY GOOD sales, though. And, their produce selection is better (in terms of variety and quantity) . But, at the end of the day, that's like comparing one turd to another and concluding that one stinks less than the other.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/14 19:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
"The specialty grocer is slated to announce Thursday that it has signed a lease to open a 29,000-square-foot store in the heart of the city's downtown. "

29K sq ft grocery store is small. Most grocery stores in NJ are 40K-80K sq ft.

wait is a WF finally coming to jersey city!?!?!? is this confirmed, where are you getting this quote from?

Ha.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
"The specialty grocer is slated to announce Thursday that it has signed a lease to open a 29,000-square-foot store in the heart of the city's downtown. "

wait is a WF finally coming to jersey city!?!?!? is this confirmed, where are you getting this quote from?

That referred to the upcoming WF in Newark.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/14 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Wegmans could fit in the area north of the tunnel and would get plenty of people from Hoboken that way too.

TJ could fit downtown- it's a much smaller footprint, maybe in the mall when Sears and JC Penny inevitably go under.

I could do without Whole Foods.

The A&P is nice, no crowds, and you can get decent prices if you get sale items. The Shop Rite is god awful and I only deal with it if it's a big sale. The entire place is a madhouse. I've never been so aggravated to go food shopping.

The Pathmark is in desperate need of an overhaul. Imagine what that whole plaza could be with even TJ as an anchor.

Call me crazy, but I much prefer the Pathmark at Old Colony than the ShopRite at Metro Plaza. The Pathmark is less crowded, has a self service check out aisle, and I find that their inventory is pretty decent, including things I would never expect to find in a supermarket catering to a ghetto area. (And, yes, I used that term. Sue me.)

Heck, sometimes I find and buy some nice products I would normally buy at WF, but at a much lower price.

You're crazy. That is probably the only part of DTJC where I feel totally unsafe. Definitely seen drugs dealt in the parking lot. Also have seen expired foods put on the shelves. As much as shoprite is horrible, pathmark is 10x worse.

If that's the only part of JC where you feel unsafe, you are a braver man than I.

Downtown JC

You're right, you did say that. Strike my comment.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 14:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Low prices at the Pathmark!?!?! Are you kidding me? As supermarket that caters to the ghetto it is certainly over priced. There is so much theft at that store that they build their pricing structure with a very high cost of theft. Not to mention going to that supermarket makes me extremely uncomfortable as it is certainly not the safest. I have witnessed several (yes, I said several) drug transactions take place there. That entire plaza is a waste of space. Bringing in whatever grocer as an anchor (a WF, TJs, Wegmens, Stew Leonards, etc) will change the entire vibe of that place and maybe even bring in other vendors so that they entire space is adequately utilized.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Wegmans could fit in the area north of the tunnel and would get plenty of people from Hoboken that way too.

TJ could fit downtown- it's a much smaller footprint, maybe in the mall when Sears and JC Penny inevitably go under.

The A&P is nice, no crowds, and you can get decent prices if you get sale items. The Shop Rite is god awful and I only deal with it if it's a big sale. The entire place is a madhouse. I've never been so aggravated to go food shopping.

The Pathmark is in desperate need of an overhaul. Imagine what that whole plaza could be with even TJ as an anchor.

Call me crazy, but I much prefer the Pathmark at Old Colony than the ShopRite at Metro Plaza. The Pathmark is less crowded, has a self service check out aisle, and I find that their inventory is pretty decent, including things I would never expect to find in a supermarket catering to a ghetto area. (And, yes, I used that term. Sue me.)

You're crazy. That is probably the only part of DTJC where I feel totally unsafe. Definitely seen drugs dealt in the parking lot. Also have seen expired foods put on the shelves. As much as shoprite is horrible, pathmark is 10x worse.

If that's the only part of JC where you feel unsafe, you are a braver man than I.

Downtown JC

Posted on: 2014/10/14 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/14 14:28

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 31 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017