Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
63 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 »

Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
how about the link that YOU POSTED CHRIST DO YOU EVEN READ WHAT YOU WRITE

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
No, there was not battles here except for Black Tom, which was the name of Porte Liberte then. There was an explosion from a German sub. But the people who served in those wars were from JC had a high mortality rate. The generals recognized their sacrifice. There was a sign called "Old Glory." I know my history.

https://www.njcu.edu/programs/jchistor ... s/Black_Tom_Explosion.htm

"On the evening of the Black Tom incident, barges and freight cars at the depot were reportedly filled with over two million pounds of ammunition waiting to be shipped overseas. The munitions at the depot included shrapnel, black powder, TNT and dynamite. The Johnson Barge No.17, for example, held some one hundred thousand pounds of TNT. Given these incendiary devices, the Black Tom facility was not securely gated to safeguard the nearby civilian population from the potential of foul play.

Had the fire begun as a result of "spontaneous combustion," carelessness of one of the employees or guards, or German sabotage?

A suspect in the incident was Michael Kristoff, a 23-year old immigrant living with relatives in nearby Bayonne and a former employer at the Tidewater Oil Company. Kristoff is said to have started the fires at Black Tom with incendiary devices in exchange for five hundred dollars."

it never even mentions submarines. God Yvonne

Posted on: 2016/3/18 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I know my history.

NO. You don't. There was no submarine attack at Black Tom Island. It was ruled / determined to be the work of saboteurs.

Where is your proof?

Posted on: 2016/3/18 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I know my history.

NO. You don't. There was no submarine attack at Black Tom Island. It was ruled / determined to be the work of saboteurs.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
No, there was not battles here except for Black Tom, which was the name of Porte Liberte then. There was an explosion from a German sub. But the people who served in those wars were from JC had a high mortality rate. The generals recognized their sacrifice. There was a sign called "Old Glory." I know my history.

https://www.njcu.edu/programs/jchistor ... s/Black_Tom_Explosion.htm

Posted on: 2016/3/18 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Many American soldiers died in JC during World Wars 1 & 2.

Huh. I wasn't aware of the great battles of WWs 1 and 2 that took place in Jersey City. You really do learn something new every day.

JC is where General Patton launched his first assault. After taking back the waterfront and returning free parking to its residents, something the Nazis took away, Patton marched his unit across the ocean.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 15:08
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Many American soldiers died in JC during World Wars 1 & 2.

Huh. I wasn't aware of the great battles of WWs 1 and 2 that took place in Jersey City. You really do learn something new every day.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Many American soldiers died in JC during World Wars 1 & 2. There was a sign at Mercer St perhaps near Monmouth called "Old Glory" denoting their sacrifice. The bottom line - there is enough history to have monuments on our history. We do not need to display another country's history. It used to be if you came to the USA, you were proud to be American, now you want your pieces of your former country, then why leave? We have streets named for people who never lived in the USA. An example is Marin Blvd. That name used to be Henderson. Henderson along with his brother produced pottery that became internationally recognized and one of the brothers became mayor of JC. So what do we do? In the 1980s, the take his name away and give it to some one who represents another ethnic group and never lived in the USA.

You are SO IGNORANT. It is terrifying to think you actually taught little children. From your atrocious grammar, to your ignorant opinions and misinformed thoughts, you are the very embodiment of what people fear when they speak of subpar teachers.

Tell me Yvonne, do you consider Hawaii part of the USA? Or, how about DC? Do you even know who is the person being honored/remembered by Marin Blvd?

Posted on: 2016/3/18 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
We're a nation of immigrants, yet there are people that stubbornly refuse to accept this fact. It really is quite sad...

Posted on: 2016/3/18 14:57
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I believe monuments should reflect the US history not another country's history.

Did you think that all the way through?

No, she didn't. But, then again does she ever??

Posted on: 2016/3/18 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Clemente Field? GTFO. Dude wasn't even American.

Huh?

Posted on: 2016/3/18 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Many American soldiers died in JC during World Wars 1 & 2. There was a sign at Mercer St perhaps near Monmouth called "Old Glory" denoting their sacrifice. The bottom line - there is enough history to have monuments on our history. We do not need to display another country's history. It used to be if you came to the USA, you were proud to be American, now you want your pieces of your former country, then why leave? We have streets named for people who never lived in the USA. An example is Marin Blvd. That name used to be Henderson. Henderson along with his brother produced pottery that became internationally recognized and one of the brothers became mayor of JC. So what do we do? In the 1980s, the take his name away and give it to some one who represents another ethnic group and never lived in the USA.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I believe monuments should reflect the US history not another country's history.

Did you think that all the way through? What about, for example, the United States? numerous Holocaust and Great Famine memorials?

Posted on: 2016/3/18 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
No, she's right. It's time to clean house.

Clemente Field? GTFO. Dude wasn't even American.

Columbus Triangle? Sorry, paisan, take it back it Italy.

It's time somebody had the nerve to say something. Also, what's with all this Dutch shit around here? I haven't met anybody named Van Vorst the entire time I've lived here.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne, you're crazy. Keep the monument.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The monument happened because Mayor Cucci and Councilman Vazquez were courting the Polish vote. It does not belong in JC. It is more appropriate in a cemetery. My late mother in law was Polish, so I am not anti-Polish. But this does not belong. I believe monuments should reflect the US history not another country's history.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Annual Katyn Forest Massacre memorial service April 10 in Jersey City

By Alisha Morales-Lizardo | The Jersey Journal 
Email the author 
on March 15, 2016 at 12:47pm

The Katyn Forest Massacre Memorial Committee will hold a remembrance ceremony in Jersey City on April 10 to mark the 76th anniversary of the Katyn Forest Massacre and the sixth anniversary of the Smolensk airplane catastrophe.

Read more,  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _katyn_1940_monument.html

Posted on: 2016/3/18 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
The Polish People have known this since time immemorial. I had a Polish friend who would bitterly talk about this every time anyone mentioned WWII.

As for the statue....I like it for some reason. Never saw it as something visually offensive.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
talk about necromancy on a dead thread, but have at it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19552745

Quote:
US 'hushed up' Soviet guilt over Katyn

New evidence appears to back the idea that the Roosevelt administration helped cover up Soviet guilt for the 1940 Katyn massacre of Polish soldiers. Historians said documents, released by the US National Archives, supported the suspicion that the US did not want to anger its wartime ally, Joseph Stalin.

They showed the US was sent coded messages suggesting the Soviets, not the Nazis, carried out the massacre. More than 22,000 Poles were killed by the Soviets on Stalin's orders. Soviet Russia only admitted to the atrocity in 1990 after blaming the Nazis for five decades.

Posted on: 2012/9/11 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
sinik wrote:

Quote:

haha, yeah, the joke in Poland is "Colombowicz".

Poles love to brag about Chopin and Copernicus (Kopernik) but this one.....naahhh.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 8:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sinik wrote:
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:
I can't even believe someone had the nerve to post this at all-- if this post was entitled "who thinks the holocaust/african american/other "accepted" group needs to go", I guarantee the webmaster would not even allow this post to be published. This is not about the supposed "artistry" or "taste" of the memorial (all just a pretense), it's just flat out bigotry against a group that has suffered longstanding injustices without much acknowlegement, sympathy or attention.

Webmaster, I request you delete this garbage post in its entirety and refuse to allow such bigotry on this forum. This is why I don't read JC List anymore.

How do you know that people can't genuinely have a problem with the appearance/location of the memorial while at the same time still sympathize with the victims of the Katyn massacre? Are all the people that objected to the Bayonne 9/11 memorial being located in Liberty State Park 'bigots'?

Bigotry is the intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself. That description seems to fit the tone of your post.

Because it is a foreign monument being dedicated to foreign matters.

Posted on: 2010/12/5 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I can't wait for the monument that deplicts us (U.S) invading Iraq with the horse-siht belief of WMD being developed and a nation supporting terrorists there.

A bunker full of women and children being blown-up by a smart bomb would deplict it nicely......or a smart bomb blowing up a milk formula factory is just as nice, then again a nude guy with a pit-bull about to bite his nuts off is clever too !
A note stating Sadam was found guilty and hung for a crime commited in the 80's would be 'the cherry on top' !

I'd also like a giant statue made in the shape of a dollar sign highlighting how many billions have been spent, soldiers lives lost and civilian deaths in Afghanistan for basically chasing the single person responsible for 9/11. The statue could include the % of taxes used and services lost by 'joe blow' citizen chasing the one person.

I'm still at a lost with all the billions spent on high tech weapons and satillite tech crap, we can't find a middle-aged not soldier person in a desert ...... even the amount of money spent during WWII was cheaper then this one person !

Posted on: 2010/12/5 19:48
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:
I can't even believe someone had the nerve to post this at all-- if this post was entitled "who thinks the holocaust/african american/other "accepted" group needs to go", I guarantee the webmaster would not even allow this post to be published. This is not about the supposed "artistry" or "taste" of the memorial (all just a pretense), it's just flat out bigotry against a group that has suffered longstanding injustices without much acknowlegement, sympathy or attention.

Webmaster, I request you delete this garbage post in its entirety and refuse to allow such bigotry on this forum. This is why I don't read JC List anymore.

How do you know that people can't genuinely have a problem with the appearance/location of the memorial while at the same time still sympathize with the victims of the Katyn massacre? Are all the people that objected to the Bayonne 9/11 memorial being located in Liberty State Park 'bigots'?

Bigotry is the intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself. That description seems to fit the tone of your post.

Posted on: 2010/12/5 19:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/12/5 14:02

Re: Remembering Katyn - Wall Street Journal Perspective
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Few statues in the world tell a story better that this one.

Keep the story.

Posted on: 2010/12/3 7:12

Remembering Katyn - Wall Street Journal Perspective
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/29 16:00
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
History is context for the future. Perhaps, there's hope if we pay more attention to it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001 ... =WSJ_Opinion_AboveLEFTTop

Posted on: 2010/12/1 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I love the Katyn statue

Posted on: 2010/12/1 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trp3 wrote:
sinik wrote:

Quote:
I wonder how many statues to Columbus there are in Poland

zero.

Well maybe there will be now.

http://www.wbj.pl/article-52239-was-c ... umbus-polish.html?typ=ise

Posted on: 2010/12/1 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
sinik wrote:

Quote:
Why hasn't the powerful Polish community in JC also erected monuments to them?

there's a vietnamese community in Warsaw, they don't have any monuments.

although, the muslim community (very small, like every ethnic group in Poland) is still trying to build a mosque in warsaw.....see how well that one goes.

anyway, i dig the statue. during my morning runs along the water i used to like whizzing past it. all these mixed feelings about it make me like it even more. maybe that was the artist's intentions.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 7:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Great monument, but crap location..............It shouldn't be the first thing you see exiting the PATH for tourists, visitors, residents and business commuters. It's a poor welcome 'mat' for JC and has nothing to do to promote JC.

Just relocate it to Lincoln Park, so kids can have an excusion with school and view all the monuments of JC in one go !

Posted on: 2010/11/13 0:11
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/29 16:00
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Two additional thoughts:

1. Ignorance is bliss.

2. There's no accounting for taste.

The statute is actually an amazing success, even if you intensely dislike it's artistic value or its message.

It remains thought provoking and will continue to be for years to come -- and this thread provides ample evidence of that from all sides of the conversation.

All the best.

Geoff

Posted on: 2010/11/13 0:01

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact