Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: my first JC parking ticket
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Fight it. Several years ago, I was parked on the corner of Erie and 3rd St and received a ticket saying I was parked over the crosswalk. I was not, took pictures of where my car was parked, the crosswalk, the signs, etc. Went to court, presented photos to judge:

"Case dismissed."

Posted on: 2007/7/18 0:46
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caps wrote:
is it worth fighting this or just to forget about it and and pay it. any similar experiences or info would be appreciated.

Yes. I've fought many a ticket in court. From what I've seen, even half-assed excuses get cases dismissed. My favorite one was from one middle-aged man who said, "Judge, I had to go upstairs to my apartment to pee, so I double parked on Westside Ave." Case dismissed.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 0:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/3 12:11
Group:
Registered Users
Would it be possible under the 'freedom of information' to get the ruling and location of all similar infringements issued by the parking authority, whereby a Judge had given a ruling that an infringement issued be void due to the ambiguity or lack of clear markings or signs at that location?

Can I assume that the parking authority is present during these 'court cases' and would be fully aware that issuing a ticket at those locations would be deemed by the Judge as unenforceable until they were signed or marked correctly?

Since a Judge has set a clear message and basically set a precedent that anyone parking at those 'unenforceable' locations shouldn't be given a ticket, could one then have a counter claim against the parking authority for wasting your time, the court's time for not correcting the situation and knowingly and intentional issuing those infringements?

In concluding, wouldn't it be nice if this was researched and those that did pay for infringements wrongly issued, were reimbused by the parking authority!

Posted on: 2007/7/18 0:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/8 0:29
Group:
Registered Users
The same thing happened to me and I went to court b/c I had gotten two tickets in one week. In both cases, the arrows on the street signs didn't make it obvious that parking was prohibited and similarly the red paint was barely visable. I went to court armed with a few pictures and a brief letter. The judge dismissed the ticket in about 10 seconds.

I think you can likely avoid the fee by going to court. I guess you just have to figure out if you're willing to spend the time to save the $42. I'm all for going to court b/c I think the city should either not be giving tickets in the spot you described or make the signs more clear and there's no motivation to do that if we pay the tickets.

Posted on: 2007/7/17 23:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/2 23:19
Group:
Registered Users
don't park on the corners, that's my experience. even when there is no sign and no faded red paint, you may get ticketed. why? apparently, within 25 feet of the curb is a violation--at least that what's a ticket-issuer told me when i asked why he was issuing a ticket to a car under the above circumstances. is it worth it to go to court? no idea, but traffic court exists in some lower circle of hell; reason enough to avoid it.

Posted on: 2007/7/17 23:19

my first JC parking ticket
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
i received my first parking ticket in JC. i have only had my car here for a few weeks thus far. i parked on 4th street btwn jersey and coles next to the former funeral home. i parked in the last spot i thought was available right at the end of 4th and the corner of jersey. the ticket i received was for parking in prohibited designated areas. the red markings i noticed are barely visible on the curb, all worn away. it is for $42. i hate throwing away money on this shit. has anyone actually gone to court to fight one of these and if so is it really worth it, are there court costs involved, etc. i parked on that side around 1pm to avoid the street sweeping on the other side from 1-3pm. is it worth fighting this or just to forget about it and and pay it. any similar experiences or info would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2007/7/17 23:09

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017