Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Is Jewett Ave safe?? pls help

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/30 19:04
Group:
Registered Users
its not great, not terrible either.

Thanks but how is it for a 30yr old female that gets off from her second job at 10pm at night which is in NYC the viliage area, which means that i might get to journal square around 11pm or even if im hanging out with friends and get home late...(i know i am paranoid, but i dont know much about NJ and I have lived in decent parts of NYC all my life)...i hope that walkin home that late from journal square isn't going to get me harrassed!!

Posted on: 2010/6/24 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
between bergen and monticello? skip it.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
its not great, not terrible either.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 18:01

Is Jewett Ave safe?? pls help

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/30 19:04
Group:
Registered Users
I recently found an apt on Jewett ave bet bergen and monticellio...i am hearing that it is safe but the current resident in the studio apt says she heard gunshots at 3am and she has only been there for 3 weeks she said the cops came and everything...other ppl say it is a nice place and honestly i have no clue what the heck to do!! it is affordable with a nice private back yard!! another tenant has been there for a 1yr and he said its not the best neighborhood but it is decent... HELPPPP!

Posted on: 2010/6/24 17:51

Re: Jewett Ave.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/5 23:01
Group:
Registered Users
I live on Jewett between Bergen and Kennedy. I think this street is a prime example of Jersey City's "block by block" changes in a very short span.

The block at the end between Bergen and West Side is tree-less and feels a little soul-less too. I love my block of course. The housing stock looks a little less big and grand Victorian between Bergen and Monticello, and then there are smaller and some much newer things between Monticello and Summit.

I spend very little time on Monticello but have found it less sketchy as time has passed. Whether I am more acclimated or the area has "improved" is hard to say. The new builds at the start of the street have produced more families and kids cooking out, riding bikes, sitting on stoops and socializing. That seems to diminish as you get closer to West Side and is obviously more apparent in warmer weather.

Someone mentioned the "class of people" you may encounter. There is definitely a shift from predominantly African American to a mix of Af-Am, East Asian, white European and "mixed" families as you travel down the street. The apartment building on the corner of Jewett and Bergen (opposite the Good Shepherd Church) gets a lot of people "hanging out" and an occasional open fire hydrant on hot days. (Though the hydrant on Bergen seems to be getting a lot more play this summer!)

Some folks are doing big renovations on those Victorian houses that went for around 200/300K five years ago and are now looking at high 500K value-wise. Overall though, it's pretty much a residential street without many safety issues that I have observed.

You would be very close to PS 17 which means droves of kids on the street in the morning and afternoon. I've heard from someone who's knows someone who works at PS17 that it's meant to be a pretty good school- though it's pretty big. 1,200+ kids in grades Pre-K-8.

The street is also used as a cut-through for folks driving from Summit to Lincoln Park so it can sometimes feel like a speedway.

Obviously, drive by, hang out and visit before committing to make sure that you will feel comfortable calling the place "home."

Posted on: 2007/7/19 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Thought of buying a house around there 2 years ago, but they were asking too much for the house and to make matters worse I saw a couple of gang bangers hanging in the corners. This was the eastern part of Jewett close to summit ave. The western part after JFK should be ok. This was two years ago, so i encourage you to walk around the block before you buy a home or rent.

Posted on: 2007/7/19 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a lifer, and it's a very bad neighborhood. There are some really gorgeous houses up there, but Stay away from Monticello Avenue and nearby vicinity at all costs.

Also, I bought a house in Bergen Lafayette a few years ago. I lived there with my husband and two little girls for six months before we put our beautiful house on the market. There was nobody for them to play with, and nowhere for me to bring them. I had to put them in the car and bring them out of their neighborhood for everything.

A lot of people raise their kids in the sketchy neighborhoods, with the hopes that the neighborhood will get better. But the way we saw it was that we didn't want to wait for our kids to be away at college by the time the neighborhood was good enough for them to be out and about. We felt that we didn't want to rob them of their childhood. Others may share another opinion, but it's just something to think about before you choose to buy anything.

Posted on: 2007/7/17 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I also really like Fairview Between Kenn and Bergen too!

Me too...

I think that Jewett From Bergen to West Side Ave is fine. There is a large apartment building on the corner of Jewett near Bergen that used to be a problem, but that's changed a bit in the past couple of years. The houses between Bergen and JFK are quite beautiful. I know a few people who live on that block and I can say that the interiors are amazing. Jewett between JFK and West Side is maybe considered safer by some, although I am partial to the housing stock between JFK and Bergen. I can't comment much on the area past Bergen on Jewett. I have walked by there many times, but not really late at night. I live a block north of you and as I have said multiple times on this list, I have had no major problems. Good luck!

Posted on: 2007/7/17 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
I believe the 90?s block is between Kennedy and West Side Ave. (closer to Kennedy) it?s safe, I'm partial to Kensington, Gifford, and Bentley. I?m a bit sketchy about Jewett closer to Bergen Ave. Gifford, Bentley and Kensington are fine between Kenn. and Bergen and all are pretty quiet blocks.
I also really like Fairview Between Kenn and Bergen too!

I live on Kensington between Kenn and WSA. I'm here for 2 ? years, moving from Hamilton Park, (where I lived 10+ years). I fell very safe and love having a driveway?truthfully, I feel a bit safer here then I did in downtown. If you?re looking to buy..there are two great houses are on the market on Kensington. If you rent make sure you know who lives above or below you and how many?.the walls in some of the Victorians are thin.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2007/7/17 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
I would thoroughly investigate the neighborhood before proceeding. I know that Jewett between Bergen & Kennedy is a notorious drug spot. I grew up in JC and a general rule of thumb was always to stay away from anything east of Kennedy Blvd. Maybe things have changed as many things have in JC.

I would sugggest driving around the neighborhood around the time you would normally go to bed. The nighttime activity should give you a good idea of how safe the area is.

Good Luck.

Posted on: 2007/7/17 17:26

Anonymous
Jewett Ave.
Hello all. Hopefully some of you can help me. I would like to know how safe is the 90's block of Jewett Ave. I believe that streety is between Fairview ave. and Belmont Ave. Also between Monticello and Bergen Ave. It would be myself moving there along with my wife and mother, and child on the way. Thanks in advance

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017