Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
85 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: donation bins behind bed bath & beyond
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen them rifle though stuff and then not put the remaining clothes in the charity bin: that's the primary reason I just quickly get my stuff in the bin and don't let them take anything directly. They - like everyone else - need to go through the proper channels to get access to donated clothes (especially if they are going to just leave what they don't want on the ground).

I now only go with my husband because one time it got pretty ugly with them putting their hands in my trunk and I had to scream, 'back the f&*k away' - I think I got fed up - and concerned for my safety - and drove away.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 14:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/7 14:58
Group:
Registered Users
that's what i thought at first... hey, if they need my clothes that's cool. but really? i'd rather my clothes actually go to the charity... i'm thinking they just rifle through - find things that have known labels and sell them. it's also all in their approach...

Posted on: 2010/9/7 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
They hang out under the BJ's shopping cart drop off. I can't make up decide how I feel. It's really no skin off my back when they want to rifle through my drop offs.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 14:43

donation bins behind bed bath & beyond

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/7 14:58
Group:
Registered Users
i've been donating my clothes in the bins behind bbb for years. EVERY time i do it there are a gaggle of women who bombard me and beg for me not to put my bags in the bins but rather to just give the clothes to them. i refuse to do this. it's not like the women seem in need of a new wardrobe...they look well dressed enough. what's what with these women? and i understand i can just donate elsewhere, but location is everything when you don't have a car and your lugging around giant bags of clothes.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 14:36

Re: Clothing Drop Box
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:

The boxes at shoprite are not from a non-profit ORG. They are from American Recycling Technologies and they will get paid for whatever you drop off.

I already suspected this much. I saw a show on TV a while back about these drop off boxes and the clothing was being sold for a profit in third world countries.

Still, I think it's better to drop off there then to throw good clothing away that could be worn again and recycled. But it would be nice if the clothing was given out free. People should know this so they can best decide where to drop off because NNJR is right... they are not a charity organization.

Last week on my way to shoprite at night, I saw a group of people hauling clothing out of those drop off bins. Bags and clothing was strewn on the ground. They made quite a mess! But they looked happy, like they had won the lottery. Two women were holding garments up to them to see if they would fit and appeared to be collecting things for their kids. So I decided to mind my own business. They were happy and I was happy for them.

I swore after the way the Red Cross handled the 9/11 crisis I would never donate to them again. I still drop off at the Salvation Army over by the Holland Tunnel.

Posted on: 2006/12/28 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
The boxes at shoprite are not from a non-profit ORG. They are from American Recycling Technologies and they will get paid for whatever you drop off.

Attorney General Richard Blumenthal today sued American Recycling Technologies, Inc. of East Northport, New York for labeling its clothing drop boxes in a manner that falsely leads donors to believe they are making a charitable donation. In reality, American Recycling receives and sells for a profit all the clothing left at its bins, while paying a small yearly stipend to charities listed on the boxes.

American Recycling Technologies

Posted on: 2006/12/27 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not saying don't do it, but you might want to know what those clothes really go:

The Truth About Where Your Donated Clothes End Up

Where Do Your Charitable Clothing Donations Really Go?

You might do more good by to a local church, shelter or other charity.

Posted on: 2006/12/27 20:22

Clothing Donation Drop Box
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
hi all,

we're looking for a clothing drop box - salvation army, VA, etc.

we're in the heights but know the heights, hoboken, and downtown JC.

any help is appreciated.

Posted on: 2006/12/27 17:05

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/9/7 15:23:11

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact