Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Dollar Buses
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
I love the jitney's because they run so often. But they are crappy, hot, and uncomfortable.

People whining about them - don't take them. But don't ruin them for those of us who like to take trips to Bergenline and buy hot pants for deep discounts.

Have you ever driven a car behind these things? They are a menace, and if they were held to the same traffic laws the rest of us abide by (and they are obviously immune to), they would be arrested and never allowed to operate any motor vehicle ever again.

Posted on: 2010/7/17 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
are there any dollar vans that run the length of Montgomery?

Posted on: 2010/7/17 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
I love the jitney's because they run so often. But they are crappy, hot, and uncomfortable.

People whining about them - don't take them. But don't ruin them for those of us who like to take trips to Bergenline and buy hot pants for deep discounts.

Posted on: 2010/7/3 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
BassFace wrote:
CoreyBrainerMan,

Idiotic comments don't offend me.

What are you talking about?

Nice to know you won't be offended by anything anyone says. I'm not particularly either. But if you're trying to insult me, making an awful pun about my name is the best you can do?

Resized Image

That's just embarrassing for you.

Quote:
"Blaming the area". Where the heck did I do that? Please point it out because you are making stuff up. Blaming a park for leaving something there? Are you for real?

from your original post: Just heard this morning that my mom-in-law left an envelope on one of them yesterday. She left her items in a public place. Anyone could have picked them up - a rider, the driver, maybe it got knocked on the floor and mistaken for trash. Blaming the bus driver and/or company because you left something there is mildly ridiculous.

Quote:
There "policy on lost and found is sketchy at best". This so called policy is one that has been invented between your ears, not anywhere else. You are amazing.

You mean the line where I use the word policy in quotation marks to denote a sarcastic tone since there clearly isn't one? I'm agreeing with you, hoss. Reading comprehension with me?

Quote:
My mom in law is 72 years old, jerk. She had decided to go on her own. She has been advised to avoid them in the future.

Good for her, my dad is 76. Why should she avoid them if she needs them to go from point A to point B? Because she lost something in a public place once?

Quote:
She lost important papers. We didn't recover them. It's done.

And my sympathies for her and you. Losing important documents suck. Could have happened anywhere.

Quote:
I would advise you to take a basic reading course so that next time, your "advice" will make a penny's worth of sense.

I'd advise you to not be an idiot and blame a bus/bus driver/bus company for your elderly in-law being forgetful or clumsy. Again, my sympathies for the hassle, show some common sense in apportioning blame. Work on your reading comprehension while you're at it.

Posted on: 2010/7/3 4:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Say whatever you want but at the end of the day it's all about supply and demand. Clearly there is demand for the stinky, unsafe, nonenglish speaking driver vans.

Personally I've never gotten a smelly one, but I will stipulate that they do exist.

Unsafe? I hope not, but I'm not convinced NJT is a whole lot better, I'm just not.

Non-english speaking? It's an educational opportunity!!! I have learned to say "La Proxima" and I'm damn proud of it! I didn't say I could spell it.

Posted on: 2010/7/3 3:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/21 18:47
Group:
Banned
All you whiny bigots can wait 45 mins in the freezing cold or rain and pay almost DOUBLE for your 'glamourous' (hahahahahahah) bus.

The dollar vans (with all their faults) are fast, reliable, and cost-effective.

When I worked in NYC at a '9-5' job, there was a MAJOR snowstorm. PATH, Port Authourity and busses were
SHUT DOWN. Hotels were all booked and EVERYTHING stopped.....EXCEPT.....

.....THE 'DOLLAR VANS'.

They ran ALL night taking people home from NY side of tunnel...and dropping off just outside of Jersey Side of Tunnel near Post Office in No. Bergen.

I never forget that.
I saw that all the secretaries, and low-level vice presidents and managers where MORE THAN HAPPY to take the vans THEN!

What a bunch of cry-babys.

Posted on: 2010/7/3 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Had a surprisingly quick drive to Union City today (via Palisade Ave). Also noticed how little traffic there was on Bergenline. Then it dawned on me-- there were no dollars buses!!

It's been this way for a few days. Apparently the authorities have been cracking down on these vans and their safety violations.

Posted on: 2010/7/2 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
i'll only agree to a raised fare if they get new buses, speak fluent english and don't have to yell out to get off. otherwise, raising the fare and being uncomfortable with a stench so vile especially when it's summer and it's a crowded bus, let alone yelling out to get off is not worth a raised fare. i prefer waiting for a NJT Bus if that's the case.

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Those jitneys should raise the fare so that the drivers can make sure that they are safe and pass inspections!

Posted on: 2010/6/29 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
from experience my mother forgot her briefcase on the bus years ago. lucky for her NJT bus authority called her , must've gotten her info from her briefcase. hindsight, you're better off recovering your belongings on a NJT bus and even in a taxi cab than you do on one of those dollar buses aka immigrant mini-bus.

i believe, some of the dollar buses do have a sign that they are not responsible for lost items.

one thing potential riders and even regular riders must know about Dollar Buses , don't think it has the same policy as the NJT bus authority or even Taxi-cabs. They only do 3 things take cash and take you from point A to point B. period. you forget a bag, package, wallet, envelope you can kiss it good-bye unless there was an honest rider who will get your attention or report it to the police. Do not trust the drivers to do anything about it. most don't speak english and don't get involved.

Quote:

val7101 wrote:
I have empathy Bass Face, I really do, no sarcasm I promise, I'm just not convinced the outcome would've been better on NJT.
I can imagine how much restraint it must've taken not to beat the crap out of the "dispatcher", but it's not we've never heard about surly public servants either.
I'm just sayin'....

I will save the wisecracks for Juan who is insane and just too much fun to make fun of.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have empathy Bass Face, I really do, no sarcasm I promise, I'm just not convinced the outcome would've been better on NJT.
I can imagine how much restraint it must've taken not to beat the crap out of the "dispatcher", but it's not we've never heard about surly public servants either.
I'm just sayin'....

I will save the wisecracks for Juan who is insane and just too much fun to make fun of.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 2:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/24 18:45
Group:
Banned
CoreyBrainerMan,

Idiotic comments don't offend me.

What are you talking about?

"Blaming the area". Where the heck did I do that? Please point it out because you are making stuff up. Blaming a park for leaving something there? Are you for real?

There "policy on lost and found is sketchy at best". This so called policy is one that has been invented between your ears, not anywhere else. You are amazing.

I understand that all types of people read these posts, and many fall into the 97% who don't read category, but I am amazed or in your case, dumbfounded.

My mom in law is 72 years old, jerk. She had decided to go on her own. She has been advised to avoid them in the future. She lost important papers. We didn't recover them. It's done.

I would advise you to take a basic reading course so that next time, your "advice" will make a penny's worth of sense.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 2:14
>>> IT'S TOO LATE.....<<<

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
apparently, dollar buses (immigrant minibus) is only good for bringing you from point A to point B. don't assume its laws and regulations are the same as the NJT buses. the only thing they have in common is insurance (if that) and drivers licenses. you take a risk if you bring stuff with you on the dollar buses. people have left umbrellas and i've seen (spanish) riders reaction to it and don't say a word - could be because they can't speak english and dont know how to say it or they just don't have the common courtesy to let the person know. i was the only one who had to yell out to get the attention of the person who forgot her umbrella. i guess it's habit for me.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
No offense, but blaming the area she dropped something for losing an item is kind of silly. Do you blame a park if you forget something there? Do you blame a subway? Yea it sucks that she lost something and who knows if she'll ever get it back, and yea their "policy" on lost and found items is sketchy at best, but put a little blame on yourself when you lose something, you know? No one's fault but your own.

Posted on: 2010/6/28 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i hate to break it to you but u most likely won't get it back. it's not like the NJIT buses where they have to report lost items if found. Dollar buses are run independantly and has sketchy riders and majority of them don't speak english. if there was a good samaritan rider who reports it than you are very lucky! but than that is IF they report it.

Quote:

BassFace wrote:
Just heard this morning that my mom-in-law left an envelope on one of them yesterday with every kind of personal info from SS#'s to addresses, and even medical reports and health insurance information.

My wife and I headed to a spot on Palisade Ave next to Supremo supermarket this morning at 8 am. Supposedly the dispatcher is located there.

After questioning a few people in the area we were told the dispatcher hangs out by a pharmacy a few blocks back.

We soon located the dispatcher, whose office is a jeep 4x4,
equipped with CB + and a shitty attitude. Not only did he not hear anything from his esteemed colleagues, he said there are over 100 independents who he has no contact with. Apparently, all lost and found items wind up in his truck, I guess.

I got his plate and maybe fake name he gave us and will see
if I can file a complaint with the state. I thought these idiots would have a spot where they received lost and found items.

Let's see if my mom-in-law takes my advice and avoid them in the future.

Posted on: 2010/6/28 15:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/24 18:45
Group:
Banned
Just heard this morning that my mom-in-law left an envelope on one of them yesterday with every kind of personal info from SS#'s to addresses, and even medical reports and health insurance information.

My wife and I headed to a spot on Palisade Ave next to Supremo supermarket this morning at 8 am. Supposedly the dispatcher is located there.

After questioning a few people in the area we were told the dispatcher hangs out by a pharmacy a few blocks back.

We soon located the dispatcher, whose office is a jeep 4x4,
equipped with CB + and a shitty attitude. Not only did he not hear anything from his esteemed colleagues, he said there are over 100 independents who he has no contact with. Apparently, all lost and found items wind up in his truck, I guess.

I got his plate and maybe fake name he gave us and will see
if I can file a complaint with the state. I thought these idiots would have a spot where they received lost and found items.

Let's see if my mom-in-law takes my advice and avoid them in the future.

Posted on: 2010/6/27 1:16
>>> IT'S TOO LATE.....<<<

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The dollar bus, also known as the jitney, or immi, ROCKS.
Real people, providing a service, making a living. Are they a luxury ride? Duh, get a clue. You get where you need to go at a fair price.

Suck it Juan - the immi isn't going any where any time soon.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I sort of view the jitneys as Jersey City's potential Deep Horizon. Corners are cut so that they can keep the fares low which is what consumers want and Christie's recent cuts to NJ transit funding doesn't help.

I sometimes take the jitneys and I'm like wow - these buses are bad!

Posted on: 2010/6/23 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Those jitneys should raise the fare so that the drivers can make sure that they are safe and pass inspections!

Posted on: 2010/6/21 15:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
Now THESE are some nice buses, not those terrible jitneys yuck i hate them http://www.flickr.com/photos/21091456@N04/

Posted on: 2010/6/21 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
for a dollar you actually get a ride.....for a dollar I would have thought you get the privilege to push it !

It could be worse !

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/6/17 8:06
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/8 12:16
Group:
Registered Users
i find them very convenient. However, try and stay away from the back seats though - Alot of times, when you see them pulled over with no passengers, the driver is busy taking care of necessary business in the back : (

Posted on: 2010/6/16 2:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/26 2:28
Group:
Banned
Lovely vans??? No, they're more beat up than can be imaginable plus they do not have set schedules either; sometimes if I wait for an NJT Bus It takes about 15-20 Jitneys to pass, YUCK!!! Talk about inconsiderate, not to mention the smelly insides of those Jitney Buses and those Crazy Drivers; seriously the Police should take note; Jitney/Dollar Buses are NOT buses, more like fork-in-the-road Taxis!!!

THE BOTTOM LINE, GET RID OF THEM ONCE AND FOR ALL AND CLEAN THIS AIR!!!!

dollar buses SUCK!!!

Posted on: 2010/6/16 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i've takened dollar buses but I call them the "meera meera bus" . they're pretty good but do be careful some of its drivers will rip you off if they think you're new to the area. local should only be $1.25 , beyond JC it goes from $1.75 up. if you're still in JC area and you're asked to pay $1.75 or more tell them you've takened this before and you know local is only $1.25 and let them know you'll report them if they understand english that is.

i think their last run is at 12:30 am. sometimes earlier if there's hardly any riders.

Posted on: 2010/6/3 3:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/5 18:11
Group:
Registered Users
Where do I find schedules, routes for these lovely vans?

Posted on: 2010/6/2 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
the dollar buses are great, especially late at night coming back from nyc. they dont run to JC 24/7 (i don't think), but they do run to 32nd street in union city 24/7. it can be a more convenient method of transportation between NY and NJ than the path is.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 17:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/22 16:15
Group:
Banned
These small white busses FLY down Newark Ave right by my front door too. Honestly they drive erratically (most of them it seems like) going what seems like 50mph cutting cars off stopping where they please.

Then sometimes you get stuck behind one thats going 15mph and shooting black smoke out the back.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 13:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/18 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
well these vans are some what reliable and being smaller may be better for the environment and our health. nj transit should look into this for the non rush-hour. from what i understand these buses are illegal due to the lack of license and insurance not to mention they are not equipped for people with disabilities. my son has taken these buses and several times the bus was stopped by police and everyone had to get off.

also these drivers rent theses buses, last i heard several hundred dollars a day, that is why they hustle to make back their rental money, also they have to pay to use the route (notice on palisade and booream they stop and a man comes from a parked car to collect a few dollars, this happens every round trip). I find the buses that run from journal square to fairview are much nicer. i guess they have the proper licenses and insurance since they can go into the path.

Posted on: 2010/5/26 4:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Now the Immi is responsible for global warming? Wow, I hope they close the borders soon.

Posted on: 2010/5/26 3:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
nothing like dirty jitney buses adding to pollution that is causing climate change.

getting rid of them will be a welcome start to reducing toxic fumes.

Posted on: 2010/5/25 4:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I applaud the entrepreneurial spirit of the guys who run the Immi's. They provide a needed service. If the drivers are breaking laws, the cops need to do something. Why are they all parked at 10th and Manila? That is a hazard. Who is calling the cops to report them? In the meantime, go Immi.

Instead of complaining about how annoying it is to drive behind them, be happy you are able to afford a car.

Posted on: 2010/5/25 3:39

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017