Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
62 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Tax abatement for Newport this Wednesday
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/29 21:11
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Personally...I support the American Can Company abatements, just as I supported giving the Beacon abatements. Some areas of the city need stimuli to spark growth.

What I cannot understand at all is giving abatements to Hudson River projects. It's just crazy. The JC waterfront is some of Hudson County's most desired residential real estate. People don't need to be cajoled and coaxed to live there. 20 years ago, abatements made sense in Newport. Now they are simply giveaways to the affluent.

Posted on: 2006/4/25 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/8 22:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rory_bellows wrote:

Millionaires? How much are these places going for? If I were a millionaire, I don't think Journal Square probably would be on the top of my list of places to live.

He probably meant it as hyperbole.

Posted on: 2006/4/25 17:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/28 23:53
From Moved to Dallas TX
Group:
Registered Users
Pisces, I hardly doubt that millionaires are gonna invade the neighbourhood but the demographics will change. That's a given.

And why would Steve vote for abatements like he does...do you really need to ask??? He's not the only one that will vote for it. If all members of the CC show up to vote, the vote will go something like 7-2-0 with Fulop and Richardson voting against it.

Posted on: 2006/4/25 17:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/23 16:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pisces1979 wrote:
The middle class indian homeowners who bought in the neigborhood in the 1980's will get screwed on property taxes, while millionaires in the condos will live tax free.

Millionaires? How much are these places going for? If I were a millionaire, I don't think Journal Square probably would be on the top of my list of places to live.

Posted on: 2006/4/25 16:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/14 20:38
From Journal Square / Marion
Group:
Registered Users
I am really annoyed at the American Can Company condo converstion tax breaks, these 600 new units will effectvilly double the neighborhood population, increase traffic, and put a burden on already stretched emergency services and police. The middle class indian homeowners who bought in the neigborhood in the 1980's will get screwed on property taxes, while millionaires in the condos will live tax free. And, the neighborhood does not have a real park, the closest parks are in the heights or over on west side avenue, usually developers at least offer green space or some other tangible benifit. And let's not foreget the giant warehouse and trucking center that will be built one block away on tonnelle circle, with hundreds of heavy trucks a day roaring though a residential neighborhood. And let's not forget the other 600 unit condo on JFK two blockas away, being built with a huge parking garage, when their is no need for it, becuase it is five blocks from the PATH.

Also, why is Steve the only one who votes against these abatements?

Posted on: 2006/4/25 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/8 22:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Don't waste your time calling your council person. "Give it away" Healy is simply a LIAR and an incompetent mayor. Hopefully, in the next election, Healy will be voted out.

I think that's a given.

Posted on: 2006/4/25 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Don't waste your time calling your council person. "Give it away" Healy is simply a LIAR and an incompetent mayor. Hopefully, in the next election, Healy will be voted out.

Posted on: 2006/4/25 14:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/5 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
Can't make the meeting but I called my Councilwoman to register my displeasure.

Posted on: 2006/4/25 13:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/2/20 5:21
Group:
Registered Users
I will definitely be there. Thanks for the heads up, Falcon!

Posted on: 2006/4/25 8:49
Have you had your DoJo Mojo today?

Tax abatement for Newport this Wednesday

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

This Wednesday the Jersey City council will vote on 2 tax abatements, a 20 year for a new Newport residential?building and a 30 year for the American Can building that is being converted into apartments.? Most of you are against tax abatements for luxury apartments, so am I.

Our councilman Steve Fulop indicated to me that he will vote against these 2 abatements but the rest of the council will most definitely vote in favor, they always do.? Remember that while campaigning Mayor Healy was against tax abatements for waterfront property; this Newport building is?at the rivers edge.? However since his election?the?Mayor?has supported every tax abatement on and off the waterfront.?

The two questions I have for the council are:
1.? Is it absolutely necessay for Newport to get a tax abatement for this project?? NJ State Law states that tax abatements should be issued as an incentive to build in "an area in need of redevelopment".?
Check out this promotional material, mainly the second page under "Urban Incentives".

2. Where is the detailed financial analysis and projection that we can inspect showing the financial benefit that Jersey City receives from issuing this abatement verses the developer paying regular property taxes?

I urge all Jersey City, NJ residents to show up and speak out at this meeting.? At last years Newport abatement vote this developer had 200 of its paid employees show up at city hall to back them and tell sob stories about how they love their jobs.?? Lets turn the table on them this Wednesday.
Wednesday April 26, 2006 6:30PM
City Hall Council Chambers
280 Grove Street
Jersey City, NJ

No need to get on any list to speak, comments are permitted before each vote by any city resident.

Posted on: 2006/4/25 7:14

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017