Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
57 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 57

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: FULOP, DEAL WITH PEDESTRIAN & BIKE SAFETY!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jackp wrote:
Thanks, I just joined Glad to see an interest group forming as I have never seen driving as bad as what I experience in this city.

Great!

Hudson County's Kennedy Boulevard as deadly as ever

Considering we had only 3 of us and only 24 hrs to pull it off, we got 73 people at our Community Walk yesterday, including the Mayor & Freeholder & Councilman who walked with us. The Mayor gave us a commitment to make enforcement on JFK a priority and to attend a puiblic meeting after Thanksgiving to discuss a plan. We made it clear to him that JFK Blvd is JC's "Boulevard of Death" but that ALL of JC has traffic safety problems and we want him to adopt a "Vision Zero" plan for the entire city. This is only the beginning. We have to work together, group this group and hold the Mayor accountable. I hope many of you will join this cause to make all our streets safer for everyone.

If 3 people can pull this off in 24 hrs, just envision what a lot bigger group of us dedicated people do with more planning.

Posted on: 2016/10/17 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, I just joined Glad to see an interest group forming as I have never seen driving as bad as what I experience in this city.

Posted on: 2016/10/17 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you are concerned about TRAFFIC SAFETY issues in JC, please join our new group SAFE STREETS JC.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

local enforcement is a local MUNICIPAL issue and falls under the mayor and his appointees. if the mayor does not get on board, nothing happens.

and the crowd sourcing (where do you want a stop sign or speed bump) might have been a start, but what good is a stop sign nailed to a telephone pole if not enforced.

changing the physical environment (complete streets) is a piece that also pretty much starts at the mayor's level like does enforcement.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jackp wrote:
Please Mayor, instruct JCPD to aggressively ticket drivers for moving violations in the City, especially those that threaten peds.

Really !
Why not ... Please 'Governor', or Please 'President' !!!

Take yourself down to the local police precinct / district or send them an email and address your concern to the Community Relations Officer ... CC. the District Commander and if you're totally desperate CC. it to Philip D. Zacche; Chief of Police

Enlighten yourself in the chain of command if you want something done

If you believe your voice hasn't been heard and the JCPD are negligent, write a letter to the Public Safety Director, James Shea

Posted on: 2016/10/16 5:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Please Mayor, instruct JCPD to aggressively ticket drivers for moving violations in the City, especially those that threaten peds. For example, failure to yield to peds in marked crosswalks, double parking on busy streets like Danforth and Pacific forcing all kinds of bad driving, speeding, and aggressive driving. I have rarely seen anybody pulled over, yet every time I drive, i see laws being broken. We need to see enforcement with citations being issued.

The word will get around if a sustained city wide effort is put into place.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
There are obviously some people that are extremely ignorant or mental on JClist. The expectation of any Mayor is not to micro-manage every facet of social interaction, crime, justice and every other crap individuals want to complain about. There are departments, city officials, senior managers that address any complaint people can think of ... what's next ! JClister's complaining that it's a Mayor's job to moderate public forums.

If it's a community safety / law and order issue, then it's the police and justice department that needs to hear your issue.

Posted on: 2016/10/15 8:05
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
AGAIN!! This is the THIRD traffic death (pedestrian/cyclist) this month alone and the month isn't near over. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!! We all need to speak out! People, PLEASE tweet @stevenfulop and demand he make Traffic Enforcement a priority city-wide. Please include #jcmakeityours & #jcmakeitsafe in your tweets. We need to all stay on this.

Boy dies after being hit by bus in Jersey City

Start by getting jitneys off the street. They are a menace to pedestrians, and other vehicular traffic. I have been cut off by jitneys way too many times, and have had some really close calls from their incessant braking on a dime, and constant weaving in and out of traffic.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
AGAIN!! This is the THIRD traffic death (pedestrian/cyclist) this month alone and the month isn't near over. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!! We all need to speak out! People, PLEASE tweet @stevenfulop and demand he make Traffic Enforcement a priority city-wide. Please include #jcmakeityours & #jcmakeitsafe in your tweets. We need to all stay on this.

Boy dies after being hit by bus in Jersey City

Posted on: 2016/10/14 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
No one is following rules and rules are not being enforced.

i see many drivers who go beyond the speed limit on busy streets in downtown JC (i.e., Columbus, Montgomery). Recently, I even saw one make an illegal right turn on red near the postoffice on Montgomery, whilst a traffic cop was in front of them and cop did not stop or do anything.

I also see dumb pedestrians crossing against the light while busy texting. Those are the inattentive ones who deserve to be hit. Crazy people everywhere.

Exactly my POV & what I'm talking about when I say enforcement. It applies to all users of the roadway.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
No one is following rules and rules are not being enforced.

i see many drivers who go beyond the speed limit on busy streets in downtown JC (i.e., Columbus, Montgomery). Recently, I even saw one make an illegal right turn on red near the postoffice on Montgomery, whilst a traffic cop was in front of them and cop did not stop or do anything.

I also see dumb pedestrians crossing against the light while busy texting. Those are the inattentive ones who deserve to be hit. Crazy people everywhere.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
OTOH, I've yet to see a single pedestrian obey the 'red hand' at the JFK/Communipaw intersection, giving cars the ability to make a left turn in front of opposing traffic-they ignore it 100%.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Red light cameras (championed by Whizzy, who got a lot of $ from the red light camera companies) died after the trial period showed little or no improvement of safety-but the towns LOVED it because they sucked up the cash from tickets.

As a pedestrian, I loved them because on the blocks of JFK in my hood, they worked! Now drivers are constantly running red lights, and pedestrians with the walk sign have near misses with getting hit daily. I now have to give like an extra 3-5 secs after the light changes to cross the street at JFK/Duncan, where we use to have a camera. This was not a problem like this when the cameras were in place.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/15 0:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
No charges filed against driver in fatal Jersey City crash on Kennedy Boulevard

By Caitlin Mota | The Jersey Journal
on October 03, 2016 at 12:35 PM, updated October 03, 2016 at 1:43 PM

JERSEY CITY -- No charges have been filed against the driver who fatally struck a 30-year-old man crossing Kennedy Boulevard early Thursday morning.

Police said Juan Mas was struck by a taxi near Leonard Street at about 6 a.m. The driver, a Union City resident, stayed at the scene with the victim where he was pronounced dead, police said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... o.html#incart_2box_hudson

Posted on: 2016/10/3 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Red light cameras (championed by Whizzy, who got a lot of $ from the red light camera companies) died after the trial period showed little or no improvement of safety-but the towns LOVED it because they sucked up the cash from tickets.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Agreed, but as previously explained NJ state has outlawed both red light and speed cameras. So not an option right now. But enforcement is.

Which politicians are responsible for killing these initiatives? Pressure needs to be put on them, too.

Much of the NJ State legislature. That's a way bigger battle. Let's start with JC and what can be done here.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
a few months back someone did a time lapse video at jersey and York. It got quick attention and was used on the local news.

Good video can get attention especially when it is embarrassing to the City

It got attention for about 5 mins. Sadly, the city has done nothing about it in terms of improving enforcement. So we all need to keep the pressure on with consistent public pressure in all its forms.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
I complained to the city about a month ago about drivers routinely going through the stop sign at LSP, the corner of Phillip St. and Johnston. It's very dangerous for pedestrians/cyclists going into or out of the park. The employee said he would send a police car out to observe. I'm not clear what good that did or could do, but the situation is the same.

I also volunteered to take videos of drivers going through the stop sign. I was told that videos by the general public are not admissible.

However, if enough of us did this and posted it online and to Fulop - assuming it's legal, it may have an effect. Or maybe I have my rose-colored glasses on.

YESSSS! DO THIS and tweet it to @stevenfulop with hashtag #jcmakeityours. This fits in completely with the effort needed here to get the Mayor's public attention on this city-wide problem.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ThirdStreet wrote:
As a driver, I have to say the prevailing "pedestrian can do no wrong" attitude doesn't help solve the problem at all. I see a lot of pedestrians with earbuds, crossing when they're not supposed to, taking their sweet time getting across. I think there has to be a multi pronged approach where Jay walkers are actively treated as as driver not yielding to pedestrians.

That is not the POV here at all. Enforcement includes all users of the roads, including pedestrians.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
no, people should be able to bike on JFK, if there was a will, it could be calmed.

look at the map of JC bike lanes -

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7162854,-74.0811764,14z/data=!5m1!1e3

there are no connected north/south or east/west routes. it only isolates JC neighborhoods into district separated areas. starting to stripe bike lanes was just that, a start. but then nothing.

on any given day, 3 of the 4 people in my household bike to work or school, that is less cars on the road, and less people on our overcrowded buses.

Quote:

GlitterQueen wrote:

Quote:
I walk or ride my bike on JFK 7 days a week, and it is terrifying.

You really shouldn't ride on JFK. Or expect the city to put real bike lanes onto JFK.

One of the goals of bicycle routes is that it encourages cyclists to avoid the roads with faster and more auto traffic.

I highly recommend you find a parallel route.

I don't know any parallel routes to JFK which room for bike lanes. Westside ave and bergan ave barely have room for cars. There is only room on JFK for bike lanes at least from the West side(and I'm pretty sure from the heights). They have them on Columbus and that road used to be a clusterfuck.

Biking is becoming more and more of a norm in America and the infrastructureure needs to be updated to reflect this change. Jersey city can't continue this car only mentality.[/quote]

Posted on: 2016/10/1 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Agreed, but as previously explained NJ state has outlawed both red light and speed cameras. So not an option right now. But enforcement is.

Which politicians are responsible for killing these initiatives? Pressure needs to be put on them, too.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:
I walk or ride my bike on JFK 7 days a week, and it is terrifying.

You really shouldn't ride on JFK. Or expect the city to put real bike lanes onto JFK.

One of the goals of bicycle routes is that it encourages cyclists to avoid the roads with faster and more auto traffic.

I highly recommend you find a parallel route.[/quote]

I don't know any parallel routes to JFK which room for bike lanes. Westside ave and bergan ave barely have room for cars. There is only room on JFK for bike lanes at least from the West side(and I'm pretty sure from the heights). They have them on Columbus and that road used to be a clusterfuck.

Biking is becoming more and more of a norm in America and the infrastructureure needs to be updated to reflect this change. Jersey city can't continue this car only mentality.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
a few months back someone did a time lapse video at jersey and York. It got quick attention and was used on the local news.

Good video can get attention especially when it is embarrassing to the City

Posted on: 2016/9/30 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
I complained to the city about a month ago about drivers routinely going through the stop sign at LSP, the corner of Phillip St. and Johnston. It's very dangerous for pedestrians/cyclists going into or out of the park. The employee said he would send a police car out to observe. I'm not clear what good that did or could do, but the situation is the same.

I also volunteered to take videos of drivers going through the stop sign. I was told that videos by the general public are not admissible.

However, if enough of us did this and posted it online and to Fulop - assuming it's legal, it may have an effect. Or maybe I have my rose-colored glasses on.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 22:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
As a driver, I have to say the prevailing "pedestrian can do no wrong" attitude doesn't help solve the problem at all. I see a lot of pedestrians with earbuds, crossing when they're not supposed to, taking their sweet time getting across. I think there has to be a multi pronged approach where Jay walkers are actively treated as as driver not yielding to pedestrians.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Seriously? They can't tell you how many moving violations were written?!!!

Not really, and its a problem. See this as an illustration.

Can it be possible traffic citations aren't in the COMSTAT with every stop & frisk? Seems unlikely. I find it hard to believe that if the chief said "how many moving violations were written in 2015?" he wouldn't have it in his hand in 5 minutes. These people work for us, the public. They need to act like it, not like we're asking for a bank loan.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

kencares wrote:
Fulop neither cares about improving traffic safety nor does he have the knowledge or skill set to do so.

We need a new mayor who truly cares about the safety of Jersey City's residents.

The first part of your statement (not caring) - I'd agree with, and its a huge problem. The second part I think is false. He only has to make it a priority and let the experts improve it, and just stay on them to make them follow through.

He has to at least know that he needs to hire the right people and know how to hire them. Every bungled action over the past 4 years has proven him incompetent to do so.

We need a new mayor in 2017.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
We've been trying to get the clear data you are seeking from the JCPD for awhile now. The record keeping isn't great.

Not really, and its a problem. See this as an illustration.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
We've been trying to get the clear data you are seeking from the JCPD for awhile now. The record keeping isn't great.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Actually, its a long held fact that once one crosses into Bayonne via JFK Blvd that you need to slow down to the speed limit or get busted for speeding. Why? Because they have always had solid and consistent enforcement in Bayonne.. Its not that hard to do and we should be demanding it from our City.

Where would one find stats to back this up? Like traffic tickets per officer or per capita? Clearly our neighbors to the N & S have better enforcement. Of course one expects the JCPD to respond "we have more crime to deal with and don't have time for traffic". Hence my proposal for a traffic division.

I am also in agreement with you about a traffic division - that's part of what we can push Fulop to do by making this a priority.

We've been trying to get the clear data you are seeking from the JCPD for awhile now. The record keeping isn't great. Another item that Fulop can direct improvement on, via the Director of Innovation's help (Brian Platt).

So all of this goes back to pushing Fulop to make this problem a priority. See?

Posted on: 2016/9/30 17:33

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017