Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Fulop won't run for governor, will back Murphy, sources say
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, there are murals, but plenty of streets you can't walk down at night. BTW, what happened to the Monopoly board art installation?

Posted on: 2016/10/1 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Baldassare asked,

Really?

Bald Ass Rash....

#LOL

Posted on: 2016/10/1 15:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/11 2:23
Group:
Registered Users
Opening the pedestrian plaza showed real vision. That in and of itself created something visionary that WOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED with the old guard. The city murals are amazing. All in all Fulop's Jersey City is much improved. The parks our better, the schools are better, our lives are better. I know we have our specific issues with some of his policies but lets at least acknowledges his successes.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
like what?

most major things were well under way when he took office, a few others that were accomplished from the JCPA and JCIA mergers that were poorly executed, packed with dead weight and failed to achieve the anticipated savings, along with smaller things like murals, speed bumps and bike lanes, were done half ass and poorly. bigger than JC issues like paid sick time and raising hourly pay were done from the hip and no analyses and study done. whats is left, the pedestrian plaza?

and that is before getting to the major failings with shrugging off the increase in the murder rate as targeted and addressing the increasing demand on aging/deteriorating infrastructure and the horrendous racial disparity of property taxes.

really, has he started to have an impact on making local government more efficient and effective, more honest and open, (because there are evidence based ways to do that) things that directly impact our lives?

he is riding the wave of the big boom that followed the "great" recession, and squandering for us the benefits. his predecessors, may have been flawed, but were decent mostly well intended people from our culture of local politics. even you have a hard time saying that about the mayor.

Quote:

thor800 wrote:
Quote:

AMo wrote:
I think Moran is kind to suggest that Fulop remember "why he got into this game" in the first place. The "why" was self promotion, plain and simple. There were no core beliefs, only a lust for power. It's time that he return to the private sector where he will be free to cut deals that advance his interests, free from the inconvenience of considering the public good.

all politicians seek to advance themselves. even with his unbridled ambition, hes done more than any previous JC mayor

Posted on: 2016/10/1 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
They're all effing crooks and corrupt

Posted on: 2016/10/1 0:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

(Well, this just got interesting:)

"Do you remember the Port Authority giving money to someone named Sandy Cunningham?" Baldassare asked, later adding the money was given to the Urban League for Cunningham, who has ties to the organization.

"I believe it was in the neighborhood of $1.5M," Wildstein said, adding it was for a job training program.

"Isn't it the case that the reason the Hudson County Urban League got that money was because Mayor Steven Fulop asked the governor to help keep Sandy Cunningham from running against him?" Baldassare asked. "And the governor wanted the Port Authority to give that money to the Hudson Urban League so that Sandy Cunningham wouldn't run against Steven Fulop; correct?"

Wildstein replied, "That is my understanding, yes, sir."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/states/new-je ... race-105952#ixzz4Lkf7T87W
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

Posted on: 2016/9/30 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/30 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Ok, so far we've heard.

1. Fulop isn't running for Governor because of bombshell testimony in the Baroni case.

2. Fulop isn't running for Governor because Robert Cowen will make bombshell revelations regarding the traffic stops of commercial vehicles from the Port Authority.

3. Fulop isn't running for Governor because of corruption relating to Tom Bertoli (one person even says it involves my building).

They're all wrong.

4. Fulop isn't running for Governor because HE OWES ME MONEY! He didn't have cash for the tip at the barber and I had to loan him $10.00. I still don't have it. PAYBACK'S A BITCH, ISN'T IT!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Well, here's what the Mayor says IS THE REAL REASON he's not running for governor - in his own words via an email:

Subject: 2017 Election? I choose Jersey City

Three years ago, residents of Jersey City gave me the opportunity to be mayor, and I have been thankful every day since for that privilege. While we have made great strides forward, I also realize that there is still work that needs to be done. That is why I announced my plans to run for re-election as mayor of Jersey City. My hope is that you will give us the chance to continue the incredible progress we have made during the past three years.

Jersey City has led New Jersey on countless issues during the past three years, from open space initiatives, to housing starts, to job creation, to paid sick leave, to the minimum wage... the list goes on and on. While there is more work to be done, I am proud of what we have accomplished so far, and know that we can build on this success with a second term.

My commitment to Jersey City has never been stronger, and I hope our residents are willing to give me an opportunity to continue moving our city forward.

I love Jersey City, and I know we will continue the progress towards an even better city.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, so far we've heard.

1. Fulop isn't running for Governor because of bombshell testimony in the Baroni case.

2. Fulop isn't running for Governor because Robert Cowen will make bombshell revelations regarding the traffic stops of commercial vehicles from the Port Authority.

3. Fulop isn't running for Governor because of corruption relating to Tom Bertoli (one person even says it involves my building).

They're all wrong.

4. Fulop isn't running for Governor because HE OWES ME MONEY! He didn't have cash for the tip at the barber and I had to loan him $10.00. I still don't have it. PAYBACK'S A BITCH, ISN'T IT!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted on: 2016/9/30 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
I'd say King Steve has some skeletons in his closet - maybe he can start focusing on JC now.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 23:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
So is the October 4 Fundraiser still on at the Zeppelin?

Yup, just got this email:

Please join us on Tuesday, October 4th at 6:00pm at Zeppelin Hall (88 Liberty View Drive, Jersey City) for an important campaign fundraiser. There are a number of issues facing Jersey City this fall, from open space initiatives to increasing voter turnout, and we need your help.

The support and enthusiasm we have seen throughout the year at our Zeppelin Hall fundraisers has been incredible, and proves that these grassroots fundraisers will continue to make our campaign successful.

Over the past three years, we have accomplished incredible things here in Jersey City. We have seen hundreds of new businesses open up, development spread to areas away from the waterfront, policies enacted to support our city's workforce, and investments made to protect our parks and open space. Together, we can keep the momentum going through this November.

There is still more work to be done, and I hope I can count on your support as we continue to move Jersey City forward.

I hope to see you on October 4th! Tickets are $20, and can be purchased through the link below or at the door.

Link to Event Brite Ticket Sales

Posted on: 2016/9/29 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Didn't see him at the Irish Festival Saturday.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AMo wrote:
I think Moran is kind to suggest that Fulop remember "why he got into this game" in the first place. The "why" was self promotion, plain and simple. There were no core beliefs, only a lust for power. It's time that he return to the private sector where he will be free to cut deals that advance his interests, free from the inconvenience of considering the public good.

all politicians seek to advance themselves. even with his unbridled ambition, hes done more than any previous JC mayor

Posted on: 2016/9/29 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
looks like Steve Underwood is getting exposed...

Posted on: 2016/9/29 13:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/11 1:27
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/29 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop, derailed by ambition, clears a path for Murphy | Moran
By Tom Moran | Star-Ledger Editorial Board
on September 29, 2016 at 6:30 AM, updated September 29, 2016 at 8:25 AM

The epic rise and fall of Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop reached a new low Wednesday when he stood in front of city hall and surrendered his ferocious ambition to become New Jersey's next governor.

And then he lied about it.

He said that careful contemplation convinced him that Phil Murphy -- a man whose campaign he described two weeks ago as "desperate and floundering" -- is really the better choice.

When he was asked to explain the flip-flop, he lied again.

"He's no longer desperate and floundering," the mayor said.

It was, in the end, a sad moment. Fulop proved his enormous potential three years ago when he toppled a corrupt machine that had been in power for a decade. He was just 36 years old.

"I offer this one promise," he said as he swore his oath. "We will be both honest and competent. I have set the bar high for myself."

Almost immediately, though, his mission was poisoned by his unrestrained ambition. He told his inner circle that his real goal was to run for governor. He abandoned old friends in the school reform movement, switching sides to curry favor with the more powerful teachers' union. Big donors starting getting big contracts, just like before.

And now he is caught up in the Bridgegate case, with emails that refer to him as a "snake" suggesting that he promised to endorse Gov. Chris Christie as part of a deal to win help for a commercial client the mayor represented on the side.

Fulop is on the witness list, though he said Wednesday that he's still unsure if he will be called.

"It was his character that tripped him up," said Ellen Simon, a former ally who sits on the city's school board. "I thought his ambition was a good thing, that it would make him want to accomplish things for Jersey City. Well, I was wrong."

Fulop's withdraw changes everything in the race for governor. It vaults Murphy, a former U.S. ambassador to Germany and a senior director at Goldman Sachs, into the lead spot overnight -- at least for now. His more experienced rival, Senate President Steve Sweeney, is based in South Jersey, which hasn't produced a winner for statewide office since 1989 ? more than a quarter century ago.

"This is a game changer," said Patrick Murray, director of the Monmouth University poll. "Murphy is the favorite now. Things could change, but I give him 60-40 odds."

Fulop says he will run for re-election as mayor next year, and he is the heavy favorite. His city is booming. Its credit rating is improving on his watch. And he's pushed progressive causes, like paid sick leave, a higher minimum wage, and more efforts to build affordable housing.

But my hope is that he first spends 40 days in the desert clearing his head and remembering his roots.

I was among those cheering him on three years ago. But he veered off course almost right away, showing the same kind of arrogance and ethical blindness that derailed the governor's presidential ambitions.

The first sign was his crazy decision to blockade a port terminal in Jersey City, creating traffic jams that he apparently hoped would pressure the Port Authority to yield in a tax dispute with the city.

It was a mini-Bridgegate, and it misfired almost as badly. The dart aimed at the Port Authority hit only the truck drivers who were stalled for hours. Fulop's own police chief later said the mayor wanted to block traffic at the Holland Tunnel as well, but the police brass refused.

Fulop denied all that. But when I closed in on him, he weaseled away and refused to answer questions. This was the great progressive hope?

Since then, he's played slippery games like that over and over.

He awarded and rescinded city contracts with political players in Middlesex County, in hopes of winning support for his gubernatorial election, according to a half dozen sources I talked to with direct knowledge of it.

He rebuked and threatened an ally, Freeholder Gerry Balmir, after Balmir's wife won a contract with Sweeney's organization. "Steve needs to understand that women are not possessions," Balmir said.

He claimed he had no idea who donated $1 million to a Super PAC associated with his campaign. And while I can't prove that's a lie, the donor turned out to be a private hospital chain based in Hudson County, for whom Fulop had done favors. You do the math.

Fulop seems enchanted by the dark arts of politics, the punishing enemies and rewarding friends, the back room deals, the heavy pressure moves. Those are the sins of excess ambition.

I wouldn't count him out as governor someday. But I hope he puts it all aside for now, and focuses on being mayor. It's not a bad job, after all. And maybe then he'll remember why he got into this game in the first place.

Link & Comments

Posted on: 2016/9/29 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
So is the October 4 Fundraiser still on at the Zeppelin?

Posted on: 2016/9/29 2:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/11 1:27
Group:
Registered Users
Bobby Kennedy worked for Joseph McCarthy. Did RFK = McCarthy? Thought not.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Matsikoudis = Healy

Healy = Matsikoudis

Posted on: 2016/9/29 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Both Obama and Christie managed to shed the "scumbag lawyer" image. Matsikoudis has a hill to climb in the race for mayor.

http://observer.com/2016/09/matsikoud ... -on-fulop-in-jersey-city/

?Steve Fulop?s unethical conduct is catching up to him and today is the first step downward of his political descent,? Matsikoudis said. ?Many of us saw the signs of his flawed character long ago and now New Jersey and Jersey City will see it in full focus as more facts come out.?

Geez Louise, 'dem are fighten' words...

Posted on: 2016/9/29 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Both Obama and Christie managed to shed the "scumbag lawyer" image. Matsikoudis has a hill to climb in the race for mayor.

http://observer.com/2016/09/matsikoud ... -on-fulop-in-jersey-city/

Posted on: 2016/9/29 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I guess we'll have to wait to see the Bertoli angle get explained, but he has a sense of humor. When asked why he would be put on the traffic cone court case he replied, 'I have no idea why they would want me. I use the Lincoln Tunnel'!

Posted on: 2016/9/28 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City residents have mixed reactions to Fulop's stunning decision

By Corey McDonald | The Jersey Journal
on September 28, 2016 at 5:04 PM, updated September 28, 2016 at 5:05 PM

JERSEY CITY ? Mayor Steven Fulop's surprise decision to forgo a run at governor in 2017 and instead focus on re-election was met by a wide range of reactions from locals today.

While some told The Jersey Journal they are not particular fans of Fulop's, others are content with the job he's done thus far. Some residents interviewed are glad he will seek a second term, while others would have been unhappy with him regardless of the decision he made.

More

Posted on: 2016/9/28 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stateaidguy wrote:
I hope Fulop's departure lets Ray Lesniak or John Wisniewski become a top tier candidate.

Both Lesniak and Wisniewski have a lot of integrity and deserve a fair look.

Lesniak is the state's #1 advocate for animal rights. That's not an issue a politician picks up who just wants to pander to donors or a big constituency. I respect him for taking up a cause for a voiceless, voteless group.

Wisniewski was a very early backer of Bernie Sanders. I was never a Sanders person, but I admire Wisniewski's independence for this. Wisniewski went for Sanders when nobody thought Sanders had a chance.

Yeah and if it is Wisniewski then Declan o' Scanlon would be a perfect match up. They constantly dueled over those red light cameras.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 21:33
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
The second coming of Peter Cammarano...??

Posted on: 2016/9/28 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop won't run for governor due to rumors surrounding close ally, source says
By Tom Bergeron, September 28, 2016 at 10:08 AM

In a stunning surprise, Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop will announce this afternoon that he will not run for governor of New Jersey in 2017, according to a person familiar with his thinking.

The person, who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for the mayor, said Fulop is choosing to not enter the race because of rumors surrounding Tom Bertoli, a close ally.

More

Great find, I knew it!

Posted on: 2016/9/28 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Interesting potential problem non-gubernatorial candidate Fulop might face - pay to play. Jersey City's standard is much tighter than the Starr's particularly with regard to PACs. Should be interesting to see how that develops.

Can you please elaborate/explain?

Posted on: 2016/9/28 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop won't run for governor due to rumors surrounding close ally, source says
By Tom Bergeron, September 28, 2016 at 10:08 AM

In a stunning surprise, Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop will announce this afternoon that he will not run for governor of New Jersey in 2017, according to a person familiar with his thinking.

The person, who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for the mayor, said Fulop is choosing to not enter the race because of rumors surrounding Tom Bertoli, a close ally.

More

Posted on: 2016/9/28 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop announces re-election bid, ending flirtation with governor run

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
on September 28, 2016 at 3:42 PM, updated September 28, 2016 at 3:53 PM

JERSEY CITY ? Mayor Steve Fulop ended his three-year flirtation with a 2017 gubernatorial run this afternoon, saying during a brief address in front of City Hall that he will instead seek re-election as mayor and back Democrat Phil Murphy's bid to become governor.

Speaking to a group of about 100 city workers, members of the press and curious onlookers, Fulop said he wanted to avoid a "bloody" Democratic primary next year and continue what he called the "progress" his administration has made in Jersey City since he was elected mayor three years ago.

"Over the last couple weeks I've been doing a lot of thinking about what's in the best interests of Jersey City, what's in the best interests of the state of New Jersey and where I am situated that I can be most meaningfully helpful to moving an agenda forward that's progressive," he said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... on.html#incart_river_home

Posted on: 2016/9/28 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
(Click on the link...)

Steve Fulop For Governor!
stevefulopforgovernor.com

New Jersey's Best Mayor! Steven Fulop for Governor! ... DILIGENT. Be sure to sign the petition to get Mayor Steven Fulop to run for Governor! SIGN TODAY ...
(Google content)

Posted on: 2016/9/28 19:59

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017