Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
53 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 53

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Residents Say Drivers Are Ignoring Stop Signs, Flying Through Jersey City Intersection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Councilwoman, with all due respect, this is not a traffic engineering problem at this intersection. It is very clearly marked to STOP in multiple places, fresh paint etc. Plain and simple, this is a lack of enforcement issue, and its a problem city wide. Until this Administrations gets SERIOUS about consistent (and consistency is the key) as DeBlasio has gotten in NYC with his VISION ZERO program, Jersey City will never ever be the one of the 'best mid-sized cities in America.

I lived by this intersection, and around dtjc for 17 year and this behavior has been going on for at least that long (its not new). Now 4 yrs of living on JFK Blvd. which is a MONSTER speedway under JCPD enforcement jurisdiction. We've have numerous fatalities in recent year. This is a violent way to die and we should not have to live with such fears walking around our neighborhoods, just like we should not have to fear gun violence happening to us.

15+% of all murders in JC last year were caused by car cashes. THESE ARE VIOLENT CRIMES, and the whole administration needs to get on it city-wide and treat them as such. Criminals also drive and its proven that consistent police traffic enforcement not only makes roads safer, but boots police presence and deters other often more violent crime.

We need to demand a change as a city, neighbors. I applaud these residents for getting the attention. Let's see what the follow through is. I'd love to work with them.

Kara Hrabosky
President, Duncan Ave Neighborhood Association

Posted on: 2016/6/19 20:44

Re: Residents Say Drivers Are Ignoring Stop Signs, Flying Through Jersey City Intersection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
How about a market-driven solution? Get the insurers to put up a $5-10 bounty on video footage submissions of bad driving. Hit the idiot drivers though their insurance. Doesn't clog up the courts, doesn't require changes to the law, and creates a new video industry.

Interesting. How would that work? You post a privately shot video to a site that has plate recognition software? I think there might be a chicken and egg problem, getting insurers to band together to create it and the infrastructure to enforce it, with no guarantees of adequate submissions to justify it. It's strength and weakness is that you'd have to do it everywhere at once nationwide.

FWIW, my solution doesn't clog courts either. I don't know anyone who looked at the traffic cam video of themselves rolling through a red light and challenged it.

Posted on: 2016/6/19 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Hey, you know where people actually stopped, where there were traffic cameras!! How about creating a new class of "public safety" officers armed with a cheap hi-def camera. Let them stand in plainclothes at intersections and video cars for "no-points" traffic fines, including failure to stop, illegal use of turn lanes and gridlocking. Paying someone $30/hr to write at least 10-20 $100 tickets an hour seems like a no brainer. Yes there's the back office work, but it still should be cost effective.

Why insist law enforcement use only eyeballs and 1970's technology unless you like the status quo?

How about a market-driven solution? Get the insurers to put up a $5-10 bounty on video footage submissions of bad driving. Hit the idiot drivers though their insurance. Doesn't clog up the courts, doesn't require changes to the law, and creates a new video industry.

Posted on: 2016/6/19 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Hey, you know where people actually stopped, where there were traffic cameras!! How about creating a new class of "public safety" officers armed with a cheap hi-def camera. Let them stand in plainclothes at intersections and video cars for "no-points" traffic fines, including failure to stop, illegal use of turn lanes and gridlocking. Paying someone $30/hr to write at least 10-20 $100 tickets an hour seems like a no brainer. Yes there's the back office work, but it still should be cost effective.

Why insist law enforcement use only eyeballs and 1970's technology unless you like the status quo?

Posted on: 2016/6/19 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
It's outrageous at that intersection and having a park with parents taking their kids to now that summer.

Will make a nice revenue earner for JCPD until ppl get the message.

If the police have the money / manpower which the lack of seems to be the mantra lately at the Captain's meetings. Maybe if someone important is affected something will be done.

Posted on: 2016/6/18 1:55
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
It's outrageous at that intersection and having a park with parents taking their kids to now that summer.

Will make a nice revenue earner for JCPD until ppl get the message.

Posted on: 2016/6/18 1:51

Residents Say Drivers Are Ignoring Stop Signs, Flying Through Jersey City Intersection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Residents Say Drivers Are Ignoring Stop Signs, Flying Through Jersey City Intersection

June 17, 2016 7:20 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) ? Residents are concerned about a potentially major safety issue in Jersey City where people are consistently ignoring stop signs.

There?s a three-way stop at the spot where Jersey Ave intersects with York Street, there are multiple signs to warn drivers, but as CBS2?s Meg Baker reported, they just don?t seem to care.

One car after another zoomed through the intersection nearly causing accidents and hitting pedestrians.

?There?s stop signs on the ground, there?s stop signs on the poles. It?s pretty obvious that you should probably stop here,? Sean Popke said.

People don?t.

?I thought maybe it?s a big deal so I got my camera out,? he said.

Then Popke contacted CBS2.

?Added up to 100 plus cars in an hour and a half,? he said.

Chris Derrick drives in Jersey City and said it?s extremely dangerous,

?Especially for pedestrians because we are right near the park, a lot of kids,? he said.

Commuters also walk in that direction to the Grove Street PATH.

?Part of the solution is enforcement, but I also think that maybe some more signage around that say ?stop sign upcoming,? he said.

Councilwoman Candice Osborne saw Popke?s video on Facebook and sent it to Jersey City?s Traffic and Engineering Department.

?Ultimately they would like to put bigger, larger stop signs that are more noticeable and police targeted enforcement,? Osborne said.

She said usually when you tap into someone?s pocketbook they start following the rules.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/06/17/jersey-city-stop-signs/

Posted on: 2016/6/18 1:07

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017