Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: proposal for changing R1 zoning to R5 in Downtown JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
R-5 sets the minimum floor to ceiling height at 9 ft. Someone likes high ceilings at planning. 8.5 ft probably would have been adequate.

I think the minimum ceiling height comes from the over-riding "contextual" approach to the zoning change - most of the older buildings were typically built with stoops and/or much higher ceiling heights (at least on the parlor floors of townhouses). A slightly taller floor will help newer buildings have a harmonious architectural relationship with the surrounding older buildings. I especially like that parking in front of the buildings - the bane of the Heights - will be prohibited. Hopefully the effect of the new zoning language will also be to keep the streetwall more-or-less intact, and allow for landscaping in front to create a subtle visual buffer between the sidewalk and the new buildings.

Posted on: 2016/3/8 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
R-5 sets the minimum floor to ceiling height at 9 ft. Someone likes high ceilings at planning. 8.5 ft probably would have been adequate.

Posted on: 2016/3/8 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Holy crap, what sensible soul is behind this? R-1 has been a disaster, destroying the character of our streetscape. This is what has brought us the ubiquitous cookie cutter "peak roofed pink brick 2F w a garage" as infill, rather than brownstone style like all the infill in Hoboken.

I am as shocked (in a good way) as you are. Something tells me there will be a bunch of people screaming bloody murder over this.. probably involving something about parking.

Posted on: 2016/3/8 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Holy crap, what sensible soul is behind this? R-1 has been a disaster, destroying the character of our streetscape. This is what has brought us the ubiquitous cookie cutter "peak roofed pink brick 2F w a garage" as infill, rather than brownstone style like all the infill in Hoboken.

Posted on: 2016/3/8 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Can we do the same here in the Heights? i would love R-5 up here.

Posted on: 2016/3/8 18:41

proposal for changing R1 zoning to R5 in Downtown JC
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/2 18:18
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
On March 22 the Planning Board will hear a proposal to eliminate the R1 zoning downtown, replacing it with R5. R1 is 1- and 2-family housing with 3 stories, R5 will be 4 stories, 4-family buildings. There are also changes to parking requirements, lot size and commercial use on some streets.

the proposal can be read here:
http://hpnajc.org/resources/Documents ... %20R-5%20PB%20Version.pdf

The Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association heard the presentation from Planning about this a week ago. The Village Neighborhood Association will hear it this Thursday.

If you live in the Village (area between the Turnpike extension and Coles, and between Columbus and 7th Street) and are interested in hearing the details and asking questions - the VNA meeting is 7:30 pm on March 10 at 365 Second Street (between Monmouth & Brunswick Streets).

Posted on: 2016/3/8 18:33

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017