Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Parking garages/lots?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
If you live in a city, cars are a luxury. If you want extra real estate, you should pay for it.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I recently heard that it is now estimated that only 38% of newcomers to DTJC are bringing cars. That 61% stat may be dropping faster than some may think, or want.

Where did that 38% figure come from?

The figure was presented by Candace Osborne during a neighborhood association meeting. Based on my limited experience (that is, based on what I know from neighbors in the same buildings in which I have resided) the amount of people with cars is definitely not 1 to 1. In my previous place, it was a high percentage (but it was also a building not in DTJC, with less walkable options) but even there not everyone owned a car, while in my current place, it seems like the minority of people own cars. Of around 100 units, I think maybe 30% own cars, and it may be even lower. It's hard to tell (I don't go around keeping tabs on cars and owners) but in casual conversation it is rare to come across someone that actually keeps a car. The few of us that do keep a car has mainly to do with work situations that require regular access to an automobile.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Where is the mass transit that Fulop tells people to take at town hall meetings? It is a pipe dream that people are giving up their cars. When Schundler was mayor he said he gave out tax abatements because the people moving downtown will not have children. This was even echoed by DeGise. We know that is a lie. There is not enough space for school children. This is also a lie, people will not give up their cars so let's plan parking spaces.

In this thread are the actual statistics proving that people moving to Jersey City are not bringing automobiles. The only person that is lying about anything is you, yet again. Consistently you prove that fabrication is part of your routine in order to gin up outrage over problems that do not exist.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:58
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I recently heard that it is now estimated that only 38% of newcomers to DTJC are bringing cars. That 61% stat may be dropping faster than some may think, or want.

Where did that 38% figure come from?

It makes perfect sense, and it's exactly what's supposed to happen.

Less parking per capita leads to larger percentages of new arrivals choosing not to bring one, which furthers that trend. It can also lead to established residents giving up cars, as I did years ago when my last one croaked.

Yvonne isn't nuts to drive here. She needs a car for all the reasons she mentions.

And it seems intuitive to her and others that life behind the wheel will get easier (or get harder more slowly) if we add more parking.

But the truth is just the opposite. The more off-street PARKING space we add (an expandable capacity), the more people like me will own cars without really needing them. And when they drive, it will further diminish our DRIVING space?a finite capacity in a mature urban street grid.

Meanwhile, businesses and other institutions will remain tempted to sprawl out along highways and barren stretches of "arterial" roads reachable most easily by car, instead of nestling into each neighborhood in search of walking and biking customers. It's the latter pattern?actually the pattern on which this city was built, before the car?that we need to encourage, for everyone's sake, including drivers.

This is one of the ironies of the pro-parking lobby: They're cutting off their noses to spite their faces. They can make it marginally easier to park their cars, but only by making it harder to drive.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Where is the mass transit that Fulop tells people to take at town hall meetings? It is a pipe dream that people are giving up their cars. When Schundler was mayor he said he gave out tax abatements because the people moving downtown will not have children. This was even echoed by DeGise. We know that is a lie. There is not enough space for school children. This is also a lie, people will not give up their cars so let's plan parking spaces.

You don't have to give up your car. You just likely have to pay to park it nowadays. And that's perfectly reasonable. Real estate aint free.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
I bought a condo that had parking because I am one of those horrible people who need a car for work but still enjoy living in jersey city and have no intention of going out to the suburbs (especially since my husband works in the city) and while its nice to show all those lots I have to say its not realistic to ask someone to pay $250 a month to park almost a mile away from their house.

Even in NYC which is obviously much less 'car friendly' there are garages on almost every single block so that you can park in decent proximity to your home.... I don't understand how a parking garage that is at the PATH station helps someone who lives at Monmouth and 9th

Even when I used to live at 4th & jersey and wanted to pay for parking there wasn't anything within reasonable "carrying a week worth of groceries and a baby in a car seat" distance which is why we had to move.

Why is it not realistic to pay $250 a month to park in the city?By the way, you can find lots for $125-150 per month less than a mile from downtown - which is more than reasonable for urban parking.

1. Living in a city
2. Having access to a car
3. Not paying for parking

Pick 2

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Pebble, you do not live in the real world, I do. Doctors, dentists, and other medical help are not in walking distance. My doctor moved his office when St. Francis closed down. He is now close to the Bayonne border, where I do not live. The same is for my dentist, miles away. My husband and I had the responsibility of taking elderly members of my family to their doctors. They were not able to walk distances. As I said before, I live in the real world, you don't.

If you're correct, sounds like more doctors need to open up practices in Jersey City then.

Or, you can take an Uber.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Pebble, you do not live in the real world, I do. Doctors, dentists, and other medical help are not in walking distance. My doctor moved his office when St. Francis closed down. He is now close to the Bayonne border, where I do not live. The same is for my dentist, miles away. My husband and I had the responsibility of taking elderly members of my family to their doctors. They were not able to walk distances. As I said before, I live in the real world, you don't.

That's funny. I am unaware that I do not live in the real world. I'll have to stop sending real mortgage payments on my real house. I'll just let them know I don't live in the real world...

Maybe, just maybe, you'll realize that there exists more than one doctor. There are, in fact, quite a few in the Heights as well as quite a few downtown. If you make the conscious decision to not go to a doctor that is within a close range of your home then you are also making a decision that your life requires a car. There are lot of people that understand these decisions and choose differently.

You also seem to fail at understanding that taxis exist. There is also Uber and Lyft to pick up the slack.

Owning a car requires maintenance on the vehicle, registration of the vehicle, insurance of the vehicle, inspection of the vehicle and gasoline. For many people, that can be quite expensive.

These family members are not going to the doctor every single day. If they are, you have larger problems than transportation. As such, let's guess that they visit once a month. The cost of a cab, on the extreme high end, is $50 (assuming downtown to Bayonne). That is far less than the monthly cost of car insurance, registration, gasoline and maintenance. Claiming it isn't would be yet another flat out lie from you.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:51
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I believe there are more drivers with cars in JC than bikers.

That's probably true. Therefore it's a good thing that even if the parking were reduced from 163 to 123, there would be parking available for more than 75% of the units in the building. What's the household car ownership % for that neighborhood? I know it's 61% for all of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Sorry, according to Mayor Fulop the public does not need garages or parking lots. He says this while he and all members of the council still have parking available in the rear of City Hall. Every town hall meeting I have video the public asks the same thing, "We want parking lots and garages." Instead, we are given bike lanes.

What do you propose we knock down in the Village to provide a lot/garage?

Solutions: New construction should have one to one parking so their cars are not on the streets. Next, there are 900 abandon properties I am sure some of these properties are in bad shape and can be knocked down for parking lots/garages. Development has been going on downtown, why didn't the city place a garage in the new development where BJs and Shoprite is located?

Did you read the opening opening post?

Here it is:
Quote:

denised wrote:
I live in the village section of downtown and I'm trying to find either a garage or lot to park my car in due to the snow. anyone know what would be the closest lot?

The person isn?t looking for parking on the street. They are looking for a garage close by. They are already parking on the street and no longer wish to do so.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Did anyone call you a nut? I find it amazing how people who want to impose their views on others, make personal attacks. In the real world of babies and aging family members that you are responsible for, a car is a necessity. Mayor Fulop is not responsible for taking care of an elderly relative or a child, so he does not have the context of understanding what the public needs.

I love the comment that because he doesn't have a baby, he can't know what it is like to need a car.

Oddly, you don't and have never owned a business, yet you continually comment on what did and did not cause businesses to close. Talk about hypocrisy...

As for having a baby and needing a car... no. These are not necessary. Plenty of people can walk to their doctor with a stroller. That is the point of living in a CITY.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:15
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

That's probably true. Therefore it's a good thing that even if the parking were reduced from 163 to 123, there would be parking available for more than 75% of the units in the building. What's the household car ownership % for that neighborhood? I know it's 61% for all of Jersey City.

Where is the data on this? I know for a fact, downtown (Paulus Hook, Van Vorst, Hamilton Park, the Village, Harimus, etc do not have parking.

Downtown Parking:
http://en.parkopedia.com/parking/jers ... 18&lng=-74.04470029999999

The parking lots are charging extortion prices, no wonder people park on the streets. No person can afford this unless they make more than six figures. This is like the drug companies who manufacture pills. People cannot afford the medicine. I saw on tv, the medicine Hep C cost $100,000. Insurance companies refuse to pay, well this is just the same, the prices are not in most people's budget.

Personally, people who own cars in Jersey City are nuts. It's way too expensive and not worth it. Completely agree with Yvonne on this one.

Did anyone call you a nut? I find it amazing how people who want to impose their views on others, make personal attacks. In the real world of babies and aging family members that you are responsible for, a car is a necessity. Mayor Fulop is not responsible for taking care of an elderly relative or a child, so he does not have the context of understanding what the public needs.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Where is the data on this? I know for a fact, downtown (Paulus Hook, Van Vorst, Hamilton Park, the Village, Harimus, etc do not have parking.

Downtown Parking:

The parking lots are charging extortion prices, no wonder people park on the streets. No person can afford this unless they make more than six figures. This is like the drug companies who manufacture pills. People cannot afford the medicine. I saw on tv, the medicine Hep C cost $100,000. Insurance companies refuse to pay, well this is just the same, the prices are not in most people's budget.

Personally, people who own cars in Jersey City are nuts. It's way too expensive and not worth it. Completely agree with Yvonne on this one.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
I bought a condo that had parking because I am one of those horrible people who need a car for work but still enjoy living in jersey city and have no intention of going out to the suburbs (especially since my husband works in the city) and while its nice to show all those lots I have to say its not realistic to ask someone to pay $250 a month to park almost a mile away from their house.

Even in NYC which is obviously much less 'car friendly' there are garages on almost every single block so that you can park in decent proximity to your home.... I don't understand how a parking garage that is at the PATH station helps someone who lives at Monmouth and 9th

Even when I used to live at 4th & jersey and wanted to pay for parking there wasn't anything within reasonable "carrying a week worth of groceries and a baby in a car seat" distance which is why we had to move.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Downtown Parking:

Posted on: 2016/2/22 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Here are people complaining about Newport lowering the parking requirements, yes, people are upset, they should be.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... e.html#incart_river_index

Posted on: 2016/2/22 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here are people complaining about Newport lowering the parking requirements, yes, people are upset, they should be.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... e.html#incart_river_index

Posted on: 2016/2/22 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Downtown Parking:

Posted on: 2016/2/22 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Where is the data on this? I know for a fact, downtown (Paulus Hook, Van Vorst, Hamilton Park, the Village, Harimus, etc do not have parking. These old buildings used stables which later became garages and then condos when the market heated up. There was also parking lots on Newark Ave that do no exist any more. I walked all over downtown before it was 'discovered' and I know what existed.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/22 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Solution: Anyone that prefers to keep a car in a city can rent one of the countless parking spots that are available today

Exactly. There is no shortage of parking. There is a shortage of free parking right in front of your house/apartment. Such is life in a city.

This. There are so many vacant parking spaces in garages all over downtown JC. Having one space per unit is more than enough when you consider that many JC households (even affluent ones) do not have a car at all.

I have to think that if the developer thought there was demand for the parking they would build it so they could sell it. If they have to overbuild the parking and they cannot sell it, they have to find another way to get that $2.4 million (roughly estimating $60k per space x 40 spaces) back.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It is amazing how people on this board says there are no shortage, yet when I video the various town hall meetings, there are people demanding the city create parking spaces. No one said these spaces should be free, my parking spot downtown was not free, but later it became a condo. If the city were to create municipal parking, it would not be turned into condos. I believe there are more drivers with cars in JC than bikers. This will become an issue for the next election.

Well you are demanding the city create parking spaces so it is you and your friends, hardly a good representation of the public at large.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It is amazing how people on this board says there are no shortage, yet when I video the various town hall meetings, there are people demanding the city create parking spaces. No one said these spaces should be free, my parking spot downtown was not free, but later it became a condo. If the city were to create municipal parking, it would not be turned into condos. I believe there are more drivers with cars in JC than bikers. This will become an issue for the next election.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Solution: Anyone that prefers to keep a car in a city can rent one of the countless parking spots that are available today

Exactly. There is no shortage of parking. There is a shortage of free parking right in front of your house/apartment. Such is life in a city.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Sorry, according to Mayor Fulop the public does not need garages or parking lots. He says this while he and all members of the council still have parking available in the rear of City Hall. Every town hall meeting I have video the public asks the same thing, "We want parking lots and garages." Instead, we are given bike lanes.

Solutions: New construction should have one to one parking so their cars are not on the streets. Next, there are 900 abandon properties I am sure some of these properties are in bad shape and can be knocked down for parking lots/garages. Development has been going on downtown, why didn't the city place a garage in the new development where BJs and Shoprite is located?

Posted on: 2016/2/22 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Um, there are multiple garages going up in the BJs/ shoprite space. The 'city' didn't place a garage there because the city doesn't own the property and sure as hell doesn't have the money to purchase it to put up a garage. Not to mention it is across the street from the mall lot, which is 1/2 empty and open to residents. All the high rises have garages, and virtually none of those garages (even the ones open to the public) are full.

There are 900 abandoned properties in the village? That seems very high. Regardless, those lots are likely 16' wide at max, which is not a space for a garage, and maybe a space for a few parking spots at best.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 18:32

Edited by moobycow on 2016/2/22 18:48:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/22 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/22 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Welcome to 2016. Non-auto transportation is the future of urban area transportation. Check out any thriving first world city as evidence.

I was being funny, just like the judge referring to Fulop as King George 3rd. But his attitude on cars does qualify him as another king with rules that make no sense.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 17:48

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017