Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: New Cafe Ordinance - Call to Action
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The whining complaint about allowing cafe seating....

Hmm...

Although I like the idea of having quiet, neighborhood cafes available all over the City, this Ordinance needs improving. Much as I like Prato Bakery and think it's a great addition to Downtown, it concerns me that the Ordinance appears to have been introduced to ?fix? the mess they seem to be in with backyard seating. Without a thoughtful, considered approach, the risk of unintended and damaging consequences is too great.

The City needs a Cafe Use Ordinance. BUT, IMHO backyard seating should NOT be allowed. Inside, front yard and sidewalk (per current requirements) are OK. But backyard has too much risk of disturbing the quiet enjoyment people have a right to expect inside in their apartments and homes. Noise bouncing off backyard brick walls is very disturbing.

The ordinance should be carefully worded to prevent any use change by sleight of hand. For example, include a provision to automatically revoke the initial Cafe use approval if an application for another use is made. Require that any new application be posted prominently on the front of the Cafe for 30 days. The Cafe would have to close for at least 30 days, or until the review was completed, and everyone could see the new Use application. This would effectively discourage change of use ?creep.? I don't want a quiet cafe on my block turning into ?Talde.? The noise from that place is unbelievable.

Posted on: 2015/7/19 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
"everyone". interesting. you don't speak for me.

now the stupidity about pedophiles and rapists aside, there are some very legitimate complaints to address here.

like why all of a sudden, due to one politically connected person is a hundred some odd years of zoning and regulations being shunted aside so they can succeed without the consent of their neighbors? look, seating in an establishment? IDGAF. backyards are another story.

hell, i get annoyed when places with their huge outdoor seating areas that are never full take up 2/3 of the sidewalk (looking at you, abby's and a couple others), especially in winter with snowbanks keeping people from accessing the rest. i'm not looking forward to every single place just tossing out a couple tables and shunting off walking access on sidewalks that aren't terribly wide to begin with.

getting back to the backyard issue... bedrooms are in the rear of the house. your street or sidewalk is a bit rowdy? you can retreat to the back and get your (relative) peace and quiet. eateries with liquor licenses open til 12, 2am in the backyard is another thing altogether. that is not something we should be facilitating.

downtown JC has more than enough of the hoboken vibe, and while i don't mind an expanded amount of liquor licenses, i do mind my neighbor's backyard being a partyzone just so some schmucks can make more money

Posted on: 2015/7/19 3:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

hamhock wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
What's a bodega ? Can someone translate the word?

A little convenience store that seemingly sells everything you need. Like Christo's on 8th Street/Coles.

Oh so it is a convenience store, the word bodega may cause the interpretation of the law some conflict.

What conflict in the interpretation of the law would it cause? Take a good long look at your local deli. Doesn't it seem to carry quite a number of things you need? You have probably fequenting bodegas for years but are totally clueless as usual.

Posted on: 2015/7/19 3:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Would anyone be interesting in forming a political group that will show up at public meetings and advocate for urban development and policies to counteract all these old idiots.

This cafe ordinance sounds wonderful, and I'm happy to see Jersey City pursue it.

Let's have nice things and fight these bastards holding the city back. I'm so tired of old farts being the voice of the city. Go visit your grandkids or something.

Posted on: 2015/7/19 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The whining complaint about allowing cafe seating is why Jersey City can't have nice things. Perhaps instead of crying about businesses being allowed to create the public spaces everyone wants, you should move to a nice quiet suburban cul-de-sac where there aren't any businesses next door or below you.

Posted on: 2015/7/19 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamhock wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:

A little convenience store that seemingly sells everything you need. Like Christo's on 8th Street/Coles.

Oh so it is a convenience store, the word bodega may cause the interpretation of the law some conflict.

Posted on: 2015/7/19 1:49
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
I guess another retail store would be a grocery store, like BJs, ShopRite, C-Town, Key Food, etc.

Posted on: 2015/7/19 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Don't bodegas by law have to sell loosies?

Posted on: 2015/7/19 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
For someone who has lived his whole life in Jersey City, I find it suspect that you don't know, or have not seen or used a "bodega". If this, in fact is true, I really feel sorry for you.

Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/19 0:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/19 0:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
CAFE ? A retail sales establishment engaged in selling of light meals and drinks where commercial kitchen appliances or ventilation systems are not permitted. Outdoor seating areas in the front and rear yard are permitted. Sidewalk cafes are permitted pursuant to Chapter 296, Article XII.

Does one still need to apply for separate Sidewalk Cafe License to have front seating? But does it read that rear yard outdoor seating is included with the Cafe License? There is no limit set to how many seats allowed in and outside the retail space . What kind of retail space - bodega, liquor store (?), bakery, newsstand/lottery ticket store fronts, and/or smoke shop? Technically these all sell light meals and drinks.

Posted on: 2015/7/18 23:54
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
CAFE ? A retail sales establishment engaged in selling of light meals and drinks where commercial kitchen appliances or ventilation systems are not permitted. Outdoor seating areas in the front and rear yard are permitted. Sidewalk cafes are permitted pursuant to Chapter 296, Article XII.

Does one still need to apply for separate Sidewalk Cafe License to have front seating? But does it read that rear yard outdoor seating is included with the Cafe License? There is no limit set to how many seats allowed in and outside the retail space . What kind of retail space - bodega, liquor store (?), bakery, newsstand/lottery ticket store fronts, and/or smoke shop? Technically these all sell light meals and drinks.

Posted on: 2015/7/18 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

squeeg wrote:
Dear Neighbors,
[...]
Those of you who do not live next to a property that may become a backyard eatery try wearing the hat of someone in JC who does! It's that simple!!!

Your presumably self-serving tirade over this issue seems a bit condescending at times. Not the best way to ask strangers to help support your cause...

Posted on: 2015/7/18 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Uh... OK, I am happy to consider the measure, but: Thieves, predators, pedophiles and crowds will break into our homes via backyard caf?s? Perhaps you should tone it down a bit.

Does anyone know the full text of the ordinance, and can explain how much it differs from current rules? Thanks.

And if you want people to haul their ass to a meeting don't use a screen name.

Posted on: 2015/7/18 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Uh... OK, I am happy to consider the measure, but: Thieves, predators, pedophiles and crowds will break into our homes via backyard caf?s? Perhaps you should tone it down a bit.

Does anyone know the full text of the ordinance, and can explain how much it differs from current rules? Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/7/18 20:49

New Cafe Ordinance - Call to Action

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 18:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Neighbors,

The city of Jersey City is attempting to push a new Caf? ordinance through the planning board then rubber stamp it off for a vote and adoption over then next two weeks. The city is counting on you to do nothing; they are expecting you to ignore this. Do not assume that others will speak up for you! Jersey City is OUR city so read below and consider your options.

The language in the new Caf? ordinance proposes to grant additional rights for current and future caf??s, bakeries (like Prato), restaurants, bodega?s etc., to add expanded seating inside their establishments as well as add additional seating to their storefronts and in their rear back yards!

Additionally, this new caf? ordinance will allow for an increase in the amount of ovens, exhaust systems & expanded hours of operation and become a gateway for future liquor licenses. If you are familiar with Hoboken then you will understand how badly this will affect our neighborhoods forever.

If the new ordinance passes it will affect everyone who currently lives near or around a caf?, bakery, restaurant, bodega etc., as it will not only increase foot traffic, but it will allow access for thieves, predators, pedophiles and crowds into our homes through presently off limit rear yard entry points.

The new ordinance is being forcefully pushed through by Mayor Fulop and supported by Councilwomen Osborne as a means to add dollars into city coffers by taxing businesses for this new privilege with few restrictions. I can assure that the smell of fresh bread or easy access to a croissant sounds nice but when the baker moves and a bar moves in you will quickly change your tune?.by then it will be too late!

YOU CANNOT IGNORE THIS CALL TO ACTION! YOU MUST NOT ASSUME IT WILL JUST GO AWAY?IF THE ORDINACE IS PASSED IT WILL CHANGE THE FACE OF OUR NEIGHBORHOODS AND AFFECT YOUR QUALITY OF LIFE, YOUR PROPERTY AND YOUR SAFETY FOREVER!

The time to act is NOW so if you have any desire to protect your safety, your children?s safety, your pets, your quality of life and your property then you MUST act now!

The new Cafe Ordinance is being introduced for public input on July 21st at 5:30pm at 280 Grove Street, 2nd Fl. JC.

Please show up and voice your concerns and objections so Mayor Fulop, Council Women Osborn, Zoning, the Planning Board and the rank and file of JC government hear you loud and clear.

WE CANNOT DO THIS ALONE ? WE NEED YOUR HELP T0 KEEP OUR COMMUNITES AS THEY ARE ? CLEAN, SAFE AND QUITE. KEEP OUR BACK YARDS OFF LIMITS & NUSANCE FREE AND PROTECT THE PEOPLE OF JERSEY CITY WHO WORK HARD AND ENJOY A PEACFUL EXISTANCE.

Please immediately email and/or call Mayor Fulop, Council Women Osborne and Nick Taylor in Zoning to express your displeasure with the proposed new Cafe Ordinance before Tuesday. If you cannot attend the planning board meeting on July 21st then please use the contact information below before it?s too late.

This has absolutely nothing to do with a few tables in a Bakery it has all to do with keeping back yards OFF LIMITS and keeping restrictions intact! Those of you who do not live next to a property that may become a backyard eatery try wearing the hat of someone in JC who does! It's that simple!!!

Mayor Steven Fulop
Email: fulops@jcnj.org
Phone: 201-547-5200

Council woman Osborne
Email: cosborne@jcnj.org
Phone: 201-547-5315

Zoning Officer - Nick Taylor
Email: ntaylor@jcnj.org
Phone: 201-547-4832

Posted on: 2015/7/18 20:31

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]