Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
73 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: The Future of Ocean Ave.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/18 17:50
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We are also hesitant of the government getting involved, but unfortunately, we can't change the zoning ourselves. That's the beauty of this event: to make a plan that is entirely driven by the community.

That's awesome about Woodlawn and Ocean! I've lived here my entire life, and I really feel like things are starting to get better for the first time.

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

I am a little weary of the government getting involved but hopefully they can get some things done. Check out whats happening on Woodlawn and Ocean the development there is happening organically without Frank or Diane involvement. An organic smoothie shop is about to open and further down by the firehouse a BBQ spot its set to open with backyard seating. I do agree with the rezoning of Ocean Ave, too many houses were built on some parts of the Avenue which does not make much sense. Another negative of Ocean as you go further down towards Bergen Lafayatte far too many liquor stores.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I'm thinking a 24hr Fried Chicken spot would kill in that area.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SouthGreenvilleNA wrote:
Thanks for posting this, user1111!!!

As of now, Ocean Ave is zoned as residential (it was changed from a business zoning to residential in the 70s when the population of JC began to decrease), so if someone wants to open a small business there, they have to jump through all sorts of hoops to make it happen. There is a new fruit and vegetable market opening soon on Danforth and Ocean, and it took them a long time to do it. That should not be the case and we want to make our neighborhood more walkable and friendly to small business.

Ever since we started talking to the planning department about having Ocean Ave zoned back to a business district, two different people have come up to me personally to say they would love to open up a small coffee shop and an art gallery/framing place, and would seriously consider it should the zoning rules allow it. This would help out the businesses that are already there as well (some examples: Casa Latina - awesome food, an organic dry cleaners, Lou's Diner, a pharmacy that's been there for decades, etc).

I'll post the information about this event below in case anyone is interested:

The South Greenville Neighborhood Association has planned this event. It will be on May 30th from 9:30 am to 2:00 pm at People's Tabernacle of Worship church on the corner of Ocean and Danforth.

The task of this community gathering is to co-create a vision for Ocean Avenue redevelopment (from Merritt Street to Cator Avenue) that incorporates what the community wants to bring to life in this section of the neighborhood, as well as what it does not want.

In a structured, facilitated approach, we will share ideas and wishes for the neighborhood that honors the values of all the diverse residents and those who work there. The diversity is rich and valued ? all genders, age groups, ethnicities, economics, workers, with a range of diverse issues, such as having a community center, re-establishment of the library, preservation of historic buildings and fixing other buildings, continuing the clean up of the street scape, and more.

During the day, we will be working in small groups so that everyone has an opportunity to contribute and we can avoid individual grandstanding.

Coffee and donuts/rolls will be served in the morning and lunch at about noontime. Free of charge ( small contributions will be accepted at the event to offset the cost.) Mayor Fulop will stop by.

If you would like to attend, please register here:http://www.eventbrite.com/o/south-gre ... ion-8149733574?s=38133010

I am a little weary of the government getting involved but hopefully they can get some things done. Check out whats happening on Woodlawn and Ocean the development there is happening organically without Frank or Diane involvement. An organic smoothie shop is about to open and further down by the firehouse a BBQ spot its set to open with backyard seating. I do agree with the rezoning of Ocean Ave, too many houses were built on some parts of the Avenue which does not make much sense. Another negative of Ocean as you go further down towards Bergen Lafayatte far too many liquor stores.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 16:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/18 17:50
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for posting this, user1111!!!

As of now, Ocean Ave is zoned as residential (it was changed from a business zoning to residential in the 70s when the population of JC began to decrease), so if someone wants to open a small business there, they have to jump through all sorts of hoops to make it happen. There is a new fruit and vegetable market opening soon on Danforth and Ocean, and it took them a long time to do it. That should not be the case and we want to make our neighborhood more walkable and friendly to small business.

Ever since we started talking to the planning department about having Ocean Ave zoned back to a business district, two different people have come up to me personally to say they would love to open up a small coffee shop and an art gallery/framing place, and would seriously consider it should the zoning rules allow it. This would help out the businesses that are already there as well (some examples: Casa Latina - awesome food, an organic dry cleaners, Lou's Diner, a pharmacy that's been there for decades, etc).

I'll post the information about this event below in case anyone is interested:

The South Greenville Neighborhood Association has planned this event. It will be on May 30th from 9:30 am to 2:00 pm at People's Tabernacle of Worship church on the corner of Ocean and Danforth.

The task of this community gathering is to co-create a vision for Ocean Avenue redevelopment (from Merritt Street to Cator Avenue) that incorporates what the community wants to bring to life in this section of the neighborhood, as well as what it does not want.

In a structured, facilitated approach, we will share ideas and wishes for the neighborhood that honors the values of all the diverse residents and those who work there. The diversity is rich and valued ? all genders, age groups, ethnicities, economics, workers, with a range of diverse issues, such as having a community center, re-establishment of the library, preservation of historic buildings and fixing other buildings, continuing the clean up of the street scape, and more.

During the day, we will be working in small groups so that everyone has an opportunity to contribute and we can avoid individual grandstanding.

Coffee and donuts/rolls will be served in the morning and lunch at about noontime. Free of charge ( small contributions will be accepted at the event to offset the cost.) Mayor Fulop will stop by.

If you would like to attend, please register here:http://www.eventbrite.com/o/south-gre ... ion-8149733574?s=38133010

Posted on: 2015/5/29 16:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
please....30 years away man. Beirut looks move livable at this point!

Posted on: 2015/5/29 16:00

The Future of Ocean Ave.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Jersey City planning officials seeking feedback on future of Ocean Avenue

I am looking forward to this. Shops are already popping up and they are actually shops I would patronize. I guess someone got the memo.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 15:20

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017