Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Eviction. Tenants rights please help.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
if the tenant does not pay the rent increase, then the landlord has grounds for eviction.

can u imagine what would happen if tenants were permitted not to sign a lease, stay in the premises and not pay the rent increase..

paradise

Posted on: 2014/2/10 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
I don't see how the landlord could evict you, given that you agreed in writing to the increase. The landlord may have wanted both names on the lease to protect themselves, but it seems like in this case, it protects you. I don't think they can arbitrarily decide who gets to stay as long as the terms of the lease haven't been broken and you are willing to sign a new lease with the increased rate.

I think if you can't work this out by the end of the lease, it will automatically become a month-to-month at the existing rate (i.e., I don't believe the landlord can raise the rent if you don't have a signed lease). So basically, the landlord would have to be willing to forego increase rent and the cost of trying to evict you. Make sure you keep your records straight (e.g., copies of the communication up until now and going forward, canceled checks, etc), and make sure everything is documented in writing (e.g., following up on phone calls with written summaries of the conversation in an email to the landlord).

Posted on: 2014/2/10 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i don't see how having 3 roommates in a 4 year period is a basis for not renewing the lease...sounds like you should be more thorough in selecting roommates in the future because your current roommate sounds like a real a_shole...i have never heard of anyone doing something like this

Posted on: 2014/2/10 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Just because a lease has come to an end doesn't mean you are history. It just means that the rental agreement is now on a month to month basis.

Your landlord (or your roommate) cannot just kick you out. The landlord has to file papers with the courts listing why he/she no longer wants you as a tenant. (Especially since there is a 2nd person on the lease he/she wants to keep) You can go to 574 Newark Ave, 2nd floor to see what your rights are. (Damned if I can remember the name of the agency, you'll know it when you see it) Bring a copy of the lease with you.

On another note - 3rd roommate in 4 years? Is this normal? Maybe you should consider less expensive digs that you can afford on your own. It has to be difficult to find someone compatible with yourself.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2014/2/10 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

teacherinjc wrote:
Please help. Where can I go for free or inexpensive legal advice. Thanks.

https://www.lsnjlaw.org/Publications/P ... Manuals/TenantsRights.pdf

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/hedc.aspx?id=1182

Posted on: 2014/2/10 12:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/11 17:26
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
You can be evicted for several reasons in addition to the one you listed. One is for not paying rent. See the link I posted for a complete list of reasons for eviction.

Posted on: 2014/2/10 5:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I was under the impression that a landlord can only kick out tenants - even at the end of the lease - if and only if the landlords are moving into the premise themselves.

I think I heard that from a real estate agent some years ago.

Posted on: 2014/2/10 5:20

Eviction. Tenants rights please help.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/11 17:26
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
Hi. This is a long one, but I want the issue to be clear. Please ask any questions you have.

My current apt lease ends April 30th. 3 weeks ago I got an email from the landlord telling me the rent will go up 9% at the end of the lease April 30th. I agreed to the rent increase. I have lived in the apt for 4 years and am on my 3rd roommate. We are both on the lease.. My current roommate and I don't get along. . Nothing major, Neither my roommate nor I have broken any laws nor have we done anything we are not supposed to that is listed in our lease. She has lived here 9 months, and will be here 1 year at end of lease on April 30. I have been here 4 years. Before talking to me, my roommate called our landlord last week and told the landlord she didn't like me and wants to keep the apt for herself and find a new roommate, and have me kicked out, evicted. I found this out when the landlord called to ask me why we didn't get along a few days ago. So I asked my landlord what my options were. She said she could refuse to give either of us a new lease (evicting me and my roommate), or to give my current roommate and a new roommate of her choosing a new lease, evicting me, or if my current roommate agrees to renewing the lease with me then we can both stay. I am fine renewing the lease with my current roommate though I would prefer a new one, but I'd never just kick her out unless she wanted to leave.
My landlord doesn't like the fact I would prefer to change roommates again, if my current roommate wants to move on her own accord. The landlord said she would refuse to sign a new lease for me and a new roommate which also evicts me. Can my landlord refuse to let me sign a new lease if I agree it a rent increase, have broken no laws and have not broken any of the rules in the lease? Can my landlord choose to give either or neither of us a new lease? She says she can. I have read through the tenants rights in NJ handbook several times and as far as I can tell she has no legal reason to kick me out. I don't want to move, my roommate doesnt want to move. Neither of us have broken any laws , we just don't have anything in common and don't get along. Please help. Where can I go for free or inexpensive legal advice. Thanks.

https://www.lsnjlaw.org/Publications/P ... Manuals/TenantsRights.pdf

Posted on: 2014/2/10 4:42

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017