Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Union Republic -- Impressive New Place on Newark Ave @ Third Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
I heard they're going to turn it into a night club?

Posted on: 2016/9/7 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah Union Republic was really good, I always wondered why it didn't draw better crowds.

Posted on: 2016/9/7 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Did patronage decline or was the rent too damn high? This is a real disappointment, we took my FIL, who's a serious traveler and restaurant patron, there a few months ago. He loved it and was looking forward to returning.

Posted on: 2016/9/7 22:00

Re: UNION REPUBLIC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Ugh indeed. They were great, service was always mediocre, though, and it was just too far away from the crowds, I guess?

Posted on: 2016/9/7 21:06

UNION REPUBLIC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/7 20:57

Re: 7online..NEIGHBORHOOD EATS: RAMEN AT UNION REPUBLIC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i like the place. i wish they served booze. they don't even have kombucha.

I was there a couple weeks ago and ordered a beer. My guest ordered wine.

I do like their food, though.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 13:42
Dos A Cero

Re: 7online..NEIGHBORHOOD EATS: RAMEN AT UNION REPUBLIC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
They just got a Liquor License.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 10:24

7online..NEIGHBORHOOD EATS: RAMEN AT UNION REPUBLIC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(nice piece by Lauren Glassberg on today?s 5:00 pm news hour. It made JC look hip..maybe someone watching will make it their's.)

NEIGHBORHOOD EATS

EATS: RAMEN AT UNION REPUBLIC
WABC By Lauren Glassberg
Updated 2 hrs 10 mins ago

JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- At Union Republic, Ramen is on the menu in a number of ways, but it's not an Asian restaurant per se. It's just a spot where the owners serve up some of their favorite things.

Located at 340 3rd Street in Jersey City, Union Republic is many things. It's part butcher, grocer, a cafe and a restaurant - a melding of offerings created by best friends Greg Torrech and Noah Sexton.

On the menu, a variety of vibrant salads, sandwiches, items from the butcher counter and Ramen - from a ramen burger to soup options.

Full piece with recipes and video?.

http://7online.com/food/eats-ramen-at-union-republic/373548/

Posted on: 2014/10/30 22:25

Re: Union Republic... in Union City!?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
The answer to their question, "have we taken ramen too far" is YES.

Love checking out all of the excellent ramen bowls in NYC, the rest of that stuff (ramen burger, etc) is scary.

Posted on: 2014/6/23 17:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/2 21:46
Group:
Registered Users
looks like they corrected it:

Ramen Corn Dog at Union Republic: This creation taps a similar vein as the Ramen Burger: take a classic American comfort food and swap about the bread product for ramen noodles. The restaurant's homemade hot dogs from their on-site butcher are enveloped in a cornmeal batter with knots of ramen noodles, then deep fried. On the side, kimchi relish and whole grain mustard. It's not completely out of left field for this Jersey City, NJ restaurant since they already serve ramen and even have their own version of a ramen burger made with roasted pork.

Posted on: 2014/6/22 5:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/6/21 13:43

Union Republic... in Union City!?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
So, Union Republic just got a mention in a Gothamist article about creative takes on ramen noodles (link to article) but they were identified as being in Union City, NJ. Ugh.

Posted on: 2014/6/21 7:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I ate there on Saturday night. I had a really great experience. The waiter was super attentive and accommodating. We used to frequent MAE a lot, and while I was sad to see it go, I'm happy they opened up this place.
I ordered the grilled skate and my partner had a steak that he selected from their fridge. I had never had cooked skate before, and this was perfectly seasoned and super tender. My husband's steak was also cooked to his liking, medium rare.
There were 5 of us all together and everyone was totally happy with their meal. Ended up sharing a couple of creme brulees and an order of chocolate chip cookies. The only critique I could make was that I wish that there was a salad or another appetizer on the menu that was vegetarian.
On a side note, we had won dinner for 4 at a charity auction. It was unclear how much the item was worth, so when we went to UR, we had expected to pay for at least one of the guests as there were 5 of us, and the bill was pretty big. The owner/s were incredibly generous and comp'ed us the entire meal. Completely unexpected. We will definitely be going back. I wish them the best.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 13:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/31 15:33
Group:
Registered Users
I was there last week with a small party. We were told the wait would be 30 minutes. An hour later we were seated. We watched 2 other parties waiting ahead of us leave.

While we were waiting we noticed not one table had left. Most were already finished their meals and had paid their final check but were insistent on drinking another bottle of wine they had brought or finishing whatever other alcoholic beverage they had. There is a difference between enjoying a few drinks with your meal and sitting around finishing a 6 pack AFTER your meal.

While this is in no way the fault of the restaurant, more so the ignorance of the patron, it is still one of the more frustrating downsides to a BYOB establishment.

Without charging a corkage fee is there a way to deter this behavior that the restaurant might be able to enforce? For example would it be legal to charge a corkage fee to patrons who choose to stay AFTER the final check is given?

It just seems unfair to the restaurant and servers who aren't making money or turning tables because people sit around drinking what they brought for another hour or so after finishing their meals. I doubt servers are being compensated for the additonal time people choose to stay at the table in their tips either since the alcohol isn't on the bill.

As for the food and establishment I have enjoyed every meal there thus far and have no problems whatsoever other than the blatant ignorance of patrons who are taking advantage of the BYOB policy. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually turn it into a dry establishment if complaints begin to hinder profits, which would be a shame.

Posted on: 2014/1/13 16:29

Edited by JustComplainList on 2014/1/13 16:47:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Went late Saturday afternoon. Music was too loud, though staff turned it down slightly after 20 minutes. Again, just like MAE. . . ventilation seems to be an issue. The place smelled from the kitchen. Like the set up, the ramen was very good, coffee was excellent...service was attentive enough.

However. . you definitely cannot have the place smelling like a burning smoky kitchen.

Posted on: 2014/1/13 14:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/12 13:54
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Went here the other day for lunch. The ramen is somewhat overpriced, but good tasting. The only thing that I really, really, really do not like is the setting. It feels like a cafeteria rather than a restaurant, they need some color up in there. Even the outside with the circles being done is so much nicer than the stark walls inside.

And my #1 peeve is the windows. I walk by every day and I can see everything from the outside. Its like a fish bowl. I can see up skirts and into purses, its not pretty or pleasant. They need to frost the windows from the floor to table level, please!

Posted on: 2013/12/18 15:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/28 11:18
Group:
Registered Users
I've been to this place twice so far. The first time I had the Nose to Tail, it was DELICIOUS. The 2nd time I got the Hen Full. It was very bland and the chicken meatballs did not taste all that great. My husband got the vegetarian ramen and that was somewhat bland too. I will try the Fish Mazemen next time.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 2:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/16 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
I have been here a handful of times for lunch. I've tried several of the Ramens and the pork sandwich. All were good. I like coming here because the space is very open and can fit a stroller. Not a lot of places in DTJC where I can do that with ease.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Just got back from dinner, the Nose-to-Tail was really good, some crunchy stuff and a lot of tender pieces. A bit greasy, but if you love pork like I do, it's heaven.

The rest of the table had burgers (with Brussel Sprouts?) and thought it was the best patty they've tasted in JC. And that's compared to the ones at Park & Sixth, Marco & Pepe, Left Bank Burger Bar and VB3, to name a few.

Will def go back.

and still BYO, IMO a definite plus

Posted on: 2013/12/17 0:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/5 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Just had the head to tail for lunch, this is my new go-to takeout place.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, there were lots of people stopping in to pick up when I was there.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 15:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/5 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Is takeout available here?

Posted on: 2013/12/16 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
True. I usually use organic dashi made by kayanoya from Fukuoka. Not available here unfortunately.

Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Seagull, I too found the ramen stock lacking in flavor and heat. Noodles are cooked perfectly. It's a great place and people are nice but when I eat noodles, I expect the bowl to be steaming hot and not room temperature. As for flavor, I'm sure the management is open to suggestions.

Quote:

Seagull wrote:
I thought the food was mediocre. Had the Full Hen, and I found it bland. The ramen wasn't that hot, and although they claim there was dashi in the broth, I couldn't taste it. The staff was pleasant though, but I'm not in any hurry to go back. "Underwhelming" would be the best description of my experience.

I'm pretty certain the noodles are bought from Sun Noodle, which has one of their locations in Teterboro, NJ. I think what's going on is they're cooking the noodles, shocking and rinsing them in cold water, but not flashing them in boiling water to heat them up after the noodles have been shocked and rinsed of any starches in the cold water. It's the cold noodles being placed into the hot broth, which then cools the whole dish to room temperature. Just my guess based on my own cooking experience. The broth definitely needs either stronger dashi or just a little more in the recipe. Making good dashi is an art unto itself.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
EXACTLY! Why anyone would pass up BYOB is beyond me. Yeah let me pay 3 times for the same beer or liquor I can bring myself?

Living in GV has its perks I guess, lol.

Us regular folks like to save a little here and there.

Amiright!?

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I stopped by last night, did not eat after I was told no liquor license. It looked promising, it reminded me of the cafeteria at my old job at JP Morgan

. The staff was friendly. I hope to go back sometime next year and try it out and hopefully they can get a license.

You were big on "The Dopeness" -- and they don't have a liquor license -- enjoy the BYOB while it lasts -- everything on Newark with have a license soon enough.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Seagull, I too found the ramen stock lacking in flavor and heat. Noodles are cooked perfectly. It's a great place and people are nice but when I eat noodles, I expect the bowl to be steaming hot and not room temperature. As for flavor, I'm sure the management is open to suggestions.

Quote:

Seagull wrote:
I thought the food was mediocre. Had the Full Hen, and I found it bland. The ramen wasn't that hot, and although they claim there was dashi in the broth, I couldn't taste it. The staff was pleasant though, but I'm not in any hurry to go back. "Underwhelming" would be the best description of my experience.

I'm pretty certain the noodles are bought from Sun Noodle, which has one of their locations in Teterboro, NJ. I think what's going on is they're cooking the noodles, shocking and rinsing them in cold water, but not flashing them in boiling water to heat them up after the noodles have been shocked and rinsed of any starches in the cold water. It's the cold noodles being placed into the hot broth, which then cools the whole dish to room temperature. Just my guess based on my own cooking experience. The broth definitely needs either stronger dashi or just a little more in the recipe. Making good dashi is an art unto itself.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Seagull wrote:

Posted on: 2013/12/15 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I stopped by last night, did not eat after I was told no liquor license. It looked promising, it reminded me of the cafeteria at my old job at JP Morgan

. The staff was friendly. I hope to go back sometime next year and try it out and hopefully they can get a license.

You were big on "The Dopeness" -- and they don't have a liquor license -- enjoy the BYOB while it lasts -- everything on Newark with have a license soon enough.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/15 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/15 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I visited two weeks ago to try out their coffee and desserts. I ordered a slice of the chocolate banana bread pudding. It was INCREDIBLE. I also had a cup of coffee and was very, very happy with its taste. The best part is that, despite what little I ordered, the staff was SUPER friendly and welcoming. I will be going back to try out the other food. Already, this place is a winner on my book based solely on the bread pudding and the staff friendliness and service.

Posted on: 2013/12/12 17:50

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017