Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
75 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Jersey City tightening control of off-duty work for cops
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/15 23:01
Group:
Registered Users
Again the only thing that counts towards the pension is base salary, overtime, off duty don t figure in and have absolutely no impact on the pension whatsoever for example if the base salary is 80,000 when you retire after 25 years the pension is paid out solely on that , I can"t make it any simpler then that. If the officer makes an additional 10,000 in overtime or off duty the pension payout is still based on the base salary of 80,000

Posted on: 2013/11/7 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc344 wrote:
Off duty details have nothing to do we pension calculations, the pension is based on the base salary .

I would imagine that pension calculations include 'on duty' overtime that so many public employees pad in their final years to raise their pension. My question was whether these 'side jobs' like monitoring a worksite that is paid by, say, a utility is counted towards pension calculation.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
This is the best thing the Mayor has proposed. You don't see cops at off-duty sites in NYC. The cost of off duty jobs is added to our water bills, the MUA talked about this at their last meeting. My neighbor had to hire an off duty cop when fencing was delivered for his backyard. I also had to hire an off duty cop to fix repair my sewer line. The work took one hour but I had to pay for 4 hours. Plus the cop was in the way.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 12:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Off duty details have nothing to do we pension calculations, the pension is based on the base salary .

Posted on: 2013/11/7 11:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Do the 'off duty, but in uniform' job revenues count towards pension calculation?

Very good question. If so, the construction company isn't paying the full bill - we keep on paying for those "off-duty" hours worked. And if it's a utility, we're getting hit with up front cost anyway.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 6:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Vigilante, let's start with the facts, first and foremost all off duty rates were and are set by the Mayor and City Council and yes that includes production companies , and as a matter of fact a year ago the rates were increased by the City Council and Mayor and correct me if I am wrong I do believe the current Mayor Steven Fulop was a Councilman and if I am not mistaken in ward E so who really does the price gouging ? The production companies no longer film here because of the taxes on the production companies doubling , for example law and order SUV filmed exclusively in North Bergen up until 2010 but left because the taxes and fees to the state were too expensive. Why let facts get in the way

Posted on: 2013/11/7 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc344 wrote:
Just a question for the mayor, when the crossing guard is busy working the off duty details who crosses the school kids at the crossings? The on-duty police officer? Who is going to direct traffic for the crossing guards who are working the off duty details being that according to title 39(State traffic code) crossing guards have no legal authority to direct traffic only to cross pedestrians safely? Who is going to issue the summons and impound the vehicles that are parked in the construction zone, again according to state law crossing guards don't have the legal authority to do so? Who is going to close the street since again State Law only gives that authority to a police officer or state certified flagman with the necessary permits? And who is going to pay the lawsuit when one of the crossing guards working the off duty illegally directs traffic and gets hit by a car ? And lastly why would a construction company who hires an off duty officer to save on the insurance costs hire a crossing guard when they would still have to pay the same fee (actually ten dollars more per hr since the city wasn't happy with the 4 million dollars in fees it pulled in this year) and would see no decrease in insurance costs?

Sorry, Crossing Guards can ignore cars running Stop Signs just as well as an "off-duty" cop. Something I've seen time and time again. And why are there so few film shoots around Jersey City compared to years ago? Because the JCPD made a concerted effort to gouge the production companies. I've seen cops needed and useful about 5% of the time I see roadside or construction work. Too Fucking bad. The gravy train is ending.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 3:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just a question for the mayor, when the crossing guard is busy working the off duty details who crosses the school kids at the crossings? The on-duty police officer? Who is going to direct traffic for the crossing guards who are working the off duty details being that according to title 39(State traffic code) crossing guards have no legal authority to direct traffic only to cross pedestrians safely? Who is going to issue the summons and impound the vehicles that are parked in the construction zone, again according to state law crossing guards don't have the legal authority to do so? Who is going to close the street since again State Law only gives that authority to a police officer or state certified flagman with the necessary permits? And who is going to pay the lawsuit when one of the crossing guards working the off duty illegally directs traffic and gets hit by a car ? And lastly why would a construction company who hires an off duty officer to save on the insurance costs hire a crossing guard when they would still have to pay the same fee (actually ten dollars more per hr since the city wasn't happy with the 4 million dollars in fees it pulled in this year) and would see no decrease in insurance costs?

Posted on: 2013/11/7 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Do the 'off duty, but in uniform' job revenues count towards pension calculation?

Posted on: 2013/11/7 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I always wondered why they couldn't give a lot of that work to crossing guards...

Posted on: 2013/11/7 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Jersey City tightening control of off-duty work for cops

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City is revamping the way its cops earn money from off-duty jobs, with city officials saying the proposed changes would save local businesses money and put eight more officers on the beat.

Under the proposed changes, two civilians would arrange for off-duty police staffing (currently, two police officers in each of the city?s four districts handle that administrative task), and a requirement that each officer be paid four hours minimum for each job would be eliminated.

The measure, up for initial approval at next week?s City Council meeting, would also take some authority away from the police chief when it comes to staffing off-duty officers and give them to civilians.

READ MORE

Anyone else see some funny arithmetic in Officer Kutiak making $107,824 off-duty at $35/hr? That would be over 3000 hrs, add in 2000 regular hrs, and he's working 96 hr weeks. Assuming he actually did this, (is there a reason we should not?) there should be a regulation against an officer rendering himself unfit for duty. I would no more want such an exhausted officer on the streets than I would want a drunk one.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
+1

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Bout time.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Bout time.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City is revamping the way its cops earn money from off-duty jobs, with city officials saying the proposed changes would save local businesses money and put eight more officers on the beat.

Under the proposed changes, two civilians would arrange for off-duty police staffing (currently, two police officers in each of the city?s four districts handle that administrative task), and a requirement that each officer be paid four hours minimum for each job would be eliminated.

The measure, up for initial approval at next week?s City Council meeting, would also take some authority away from the police chief when it comes to staffing off-duty officers and give them to civilians.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/11/6 22:13

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017