Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: Council person Osborne presents Pedestrian plan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I need a car for my type of work but seriously, parking issues aside, not being able to jump into your car quickly and make an escape to the country or shore is a sad, confined life. You want to take NJT and LIRR everywhere or deal with rental cars then good luck. NO f***ing way am I gonna do Zipcars and slow ass trains. For me it's quick jaunts to the shore or country or where ever I like. You "no cars" crowd can squeeze some fun out of Liberty State Park. Ugh. I'm sure chicks are impressed with the "I don't own a car" line.

Maybe it's a generational thing. It's not that the under 30, urban-dwelling crowd would specifically be impressed with somebody NOT owning a car; it's that somebody owning a car is not impressive and not expected.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I need a car for my type of work but seriously, parking issues aside, not being able to jump into your car quickly and make an escape to the country or shore is a sad, confined life. You want to take NJT and LIRR everywhere or deal with rental cars then good luck. NO f***ing way am I gonna do Zipcars and slow ass trains. For me it's quick jaunts to the shore or country or where ever I like. You "no cars" crowd can squeeze some fun out of Liberty State Park. Ugh. I'm sure chicks are impressed with the "I don't own a car" line.

You can do that.. but soon most people downtown will have to pay for a parking spot to do so.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
+1, who would have thought I'd +1 Vigi. But I agree 100%.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/22 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/10/22 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

For me that raises the question - in a sizable CITY, as Jersey City is - does every residential unit need a parking spot? That is the question everyone in a position to influence planning policy in Jersey City seems to be afraid to confront. My neighborhood, the Heights, historically had a comprehensive streetcar/trolley car network, and you can still see the remnants of the funicular that took you to the Hoboken waterfront.

When did accomodating all these cars in a dense, historically mass transit oriented environment become the be-all and end-all?!

+1.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

For me that raises the question - in a sizable CITY, as Jersey City is - does every residential unit need a parking spot? That is the question everyone in a position to influence planning policy in Jersey City seems to be afraid to confront. My neighborhood, the Heights, historically had a comprehensive streetcar/trolley car network, and you can still see the remnants of the funicular that took you to the Hoboken waterfront.

When did accomodating all these cars in a dense, historically mass transit oriented environment become the be-all and end-all?!

check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy

Posted on: 2013/10/22 3:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
Hi everyone -

Here is a link to the recommendations. These recommendations will be vetted with the traffic and engineering departments next week. It surely is not perfect, but I wanted to start somewhere.

We will measure the results, we won't just place things out there and hope for the best. As a part of phase 2 analysis, we will look at those results and the community feedback and do a "start/stop/continue".

http://www.slideshare.net/candiceosbo ... recommendationswardefinal

Best,
Candice

Thanks, Candace! I wish everyone the best with this initiative, and as a Heights resident where cars are the bane of many people's existence, thank you for initiating it!

Posted on: 2013/10/22 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
As I said before, I have no problem answering you, but I am using leverage, let the councilwoman answer the question on parking. This is not a downtown issue. In Journal Square, a building next to PS#31 is going up, 80 plus units and less than 20 parking spaces. Next to Canco, another 266 units with 180 parking spaces. These developments will probably receive an abatement and I have always questioned the city during the ordinance hearing as to why is the city allowing less parking to an already overburden city with narrow streets. I have been urging the city to built municipal garages similar to Hoboken in each ward. I have been complaining about this since the 1990s. Where doesn't the city do a census on cars that travel in JC? What is the saturation point?

Posted on: 2013/10/22 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downright wrote:
Yikes....almost got clipped by a car blowing through a red light at 9th and Marin. That spot is always treacherous. Had a few close calls at this intersection. But it's even worse when the tunnel traffic is backed up Marin. This particular driver didn't feel like waiting in traffic, so he decided to cross the double yellow and blow through the red light, while people were about to cross. Good thing I wasn't walking a little quicker, or I most likely would have ended up in the hospital. Maybe it's time to up my life insurance?

Besides the obvious pedestrian concerns at an intersection like this, shouldn't there be police directing cars when the traffic is so bad? Same situation at 9th and Erie. Feel bad for the people who live at that corner. The constant beeping is horrendous every Friday night.

Captain's Meeting !!!

Posted on: 2013/10/20 1:59
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Yikes....almost got clipped by a car blowing through a red light at 9th and Marin. That spot is always treacherous. Had a few close calls at this intersection. But it's even worse when the tunnel traffic is backed up Marin. This particular driver didn't feel like waiting in traffic, so he decided to cross the double yellow and blow through the red light, while people were about to cross. Good thing I wasn't walking a little quicker, or I most likely would have ended up in the hospital. Maybe it's time to up my life insurance?

Besides the obvious pedestrian concerns at an intersection like this, shouldn't there be police directing cars when the traffic is so bad? Same situation at 9th and Erie. Feel bad for the people who live at that corner. The constant beeping is horrendous every Friday night.

Posted on: 2013/10/20 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
All these fancy new terms and ideas never replace the best thing. Boots on the ground. Just put cops out there, people will slow down. People notice when police are in the same spot daily and slow down at it.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
webmaster. please rename this thread "tell me who you really are. no, you first." so that nobody stumbles upon it thinking they'll find a meaningful discussion about traffic in downtown JC.

thanks.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I should have said I lived, I moved last year.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Well, James, I have been attending council meetings since 1970s, live on Van Vorst Park for over 40 years and married a man whose family goes back to 1880s in this city. I was also the first President and founding member of the Van Vorst Park Association.

Now you have me seriously confused. You live in VVP, but Boggiano is your Council representative? When did VVP get moved to ward C? Shouldn't you be quizzing Boggiano or the at-large Council members about your parking concerns?

Posted on: 2013/10/7 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
If that parking quote came up while discussing the new Bright St development it is almost certainly out of context. The development is aimed directly at young, single professionals who work in NYC. The whole idea of micro apartments it to target a demographic that is less likely to have a car.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I cannot follow your comment thor, but my friend is still a resident in Ward E, Candice is his councilwoman, so I prefer not to use his name. Personally, I lucked out Boggiano is my councilman. He is a direct person and stands by his word. He would not back away from a statement whether it is popular or not. Boggiano, wouldn't say it is out of context.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne - great clip from a story implicating Candice that your neighbor friend told you third hand. I feel like I was there attending the meeting in person.

But seriously could you provide a vaguer and less detailed story ?

Posted on: 2013/10/7 0:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, James, I have been attending council meetings since 1970s, live on Van Vorst Park for over 40 years and married a man whose family goes back to 1880s in this city. I was also the first President and founding member of the Van Vorst Park Association.

Posted on: 2013/10/6 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Deflection? I least I use my real name. Who is dtjcview? ..

Another deflection, yes.

Me? My name is James. I've no political affiliation. No media association. Never been a public employee. Haven't run for office and I'm not a local political hack-tivist like yourself. I'm simply a 15-year resident of ward E, concerned about local issues like pedestrian safety since they directly impact me and my family.

Introductions over. Care to stop deflecting the questions on your involvement with JCPAC, the anti-Candice ads, etc?

Posted on: 2013/10/6 18:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
He said Candice commented, "People don't need cars, they work in NY."

Had I known that was her position I would have voted for her twice. You can do that in Jersey City, you know.

+ 1

Posted on: 2013/10/6 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Deflection? I least I use my real name. Who is dtjcview? I do agree that a new thread should be started on this subject. And it would be wonderful if all the council people respond to the subject of development and parking. I still stand by my friend's comment on Candice answer.

Posted on: 2013/10/6 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Agreed but I'm glad someone brought up the parking issues. A new thread should be started for that as a result.

If pitbulls were a legitimate threat and had a track record of real problems in DTJC, then it wouldn't be wrong to initiate the topic on the leash thread. So I agree and disagree with your rationale. But I appreciate the feedback.

Posted on: 2013/10/6 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
what does it matter who posts a given point, if the point is accurate?

Asking for a resolution to the City's parking problems, as part of a downtown traffic calming and pedestrian safety thread, is like hijacking an off-leash thread to push for a pit bull ban. Related, but out-of-scope and off-topic.

Anything wrong with questioning the motives of folks that have a history of out-of-context posts? Particularly when those folks have had their own previous public political agendas?

And like you, I'm a long-term resident of ward E, I've no political affiliations, and I'm not funded by anyone. Heck, I didn't even vote for Candice.

Posted on: 2013/10/6 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
In all fairness (and I have no clue who Yvonne or John is outside of their rants on here) what does it matter who posts a given point, if the point is accurate?

Parking is a major issue is most of JC and yet were allowing huge developments without the commensurate parking? It's madness.

I'm a lifelong resident of JC, I hope that qualifies my opinion as valid on this topic. I'm not part of ANYbodys political party in JC and am not funded by anyone. Satisfied JCListers?

Posted on: 2013/10/6 10:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne - I think JCListers know who has been slinging most of the dirt on this forum. Your evasion and deflection of the questions speaks for itself, and provides some insight as to why. You are not just the sore loser people make you out to be. Are you?

Posted on: 2013/10/6 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think it is cheap it is called trading, besides why have you linked me to the JCRecall, even if I wanted to, I cannot recall Candice because I no longer live in Ward E. When people are short on facts, they throw dirt. Let the councilwoman answer the question. I think everyone in Jersey City regardless of where they live wants to know about development with diminished parking. Didn't this administration talk about transparency? I attended the meeting when Shea was introduced to the public at a Heights public school. I was not surprised that a number of residents complained about parking. It is a universal theme in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/10/6 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Leverage or cheap ploy Yvonne? Is this your self-proclaimed openness and honesty? I think it's reasonable to ask if there's a connection to you and JCRECALL, and whether you're now using donations, intended for the Healy recall, to attack Candice on issues like this and others. Come clean.

Posted on: 2013/10/6 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As I said before, I have no problem answering you, but I am using leverage, let the councilwoman answer the question on parking. This is not a downtown issue. In Journal Square, a building next to PS#31 is going up, 80 plus units and less than 20 parking spaces. Next to Canco, another 266 units with 180 parking spaces. These developments will probably receive an abatement and I have always questioned the city during the ordinance hearing as to why is the city allowing less parking to an already overburden city with narrow streets. I have been urging the city to built municipal garages similar to Hoboken in each ward. I have been complaining about this since the 1990s. Where doesn't the city do a census on cars that travel in JC? What is the saturation point?

Posted on: 2013/10/5 23:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Way to dodge the question Yvonne.

Let's try a few more. Did you help JCPAC or John1952 make the anti-Candice video posted on JClist by John1952? Did you get paid for it? Are you now part of JCPAC? You helped them in the past with the Healy recall video that you posted on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o-0OKx4I7xQ

It might help us understand your posts on this thread and others.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I have my videos posted under yvobalcer, which is combination of my first name and last name.

Posted on: 2013/10/5 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have my videos posted under yvobalcer, which is combination of my first name and last name.

Posted on: 2013/10/5 22:46

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017