Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Drivers and Crosswalks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Bikes are a special situation. Lets be honest, a bike is basically a fast moving pedestrian as far as footprints go. A small and silent contraption moving 5-10 times faster than a walker? You SHOULD have to use your bell all the time. On crowded side streets bikes can be as big a nuisance as cars and walkers combined.

The bike is a nuisance when the pedestrian does not look both ways when crossing. And should a car use it's horn all the time as well ? We are both (car/bike) in the street when travelling so it is up to the walker to also be aware of their surroundings...I know I am.

That would hold true if all bicyclists also followed the law but sadly it's not the case. I see bikes going the wrong way all the time. Fact: Your profile on a bike is miniscule compared to a car and yet you are traveling almost as fast as a car yet silently. Also, many bike riders will skirt the road close to parked cars therefore making them harder to see. I won't even mention sidewalks. Someone like me? Yes, I look both ways but for elderly folks or distracted pedestrians? It's a different story. Bike riders should be making their presence known constantly.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Bikes are a special situation. Lets be honest, a bike is basically a fast moving pedestrian as far as footprints go. A small and silent contraption moving 5-10 times faster than a walker? You SHOULD have to use your bell all the time. On crowded side streets bikes can be as big a nuisance as cars and walkers combined.

The bike is a nuisance when the pedestrian does not look both ways when crossing. And should a car use it's horn all the time as well ? We are both (car/bike) in the street when travelling so it is up to the walker to also be aware of their surroundings...I know I am.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 16:30
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/3/17 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
For me it's the jaywalkers and the timid-walkers. However, the biggest contributor is the CELL PHONE; this is a huge distraction on a grand scale. I do a lot of city driving bike/car mostly in the Heights but I manage to get to other parts of the city (J.C.) Downtown should sharpen their driving and pedestrian skills I always seem to hit the horn or bell when down there.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 11:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Speed Limit should be 20mph on residential streets. I have been here a long time and 99 out of 100 it is bad drivers causing dangerous situations. For every annoying jay-walker I see dozens more terrible "offensive" drivers. People have no common sense behind the wheel anymore. The art of "defensive driving" has been slowly eroded.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
My favorite are the rude assholes that park right
in the crosswalks blocking pedestrians from using
the crosswalk. And my experience is you take
your life in your hands as a pedestrian walking
around downtown with the drivers that don't
think or know that pedestrians have the right of way.
And unlike people from the Midwest or
south or wherever they stand on the corner
and wait for the light to change even if there
isn't a car coming either way? Good for them,
I'm jaywalking.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I've never been anywhere where people cross intersections diagonally as much as JC, even when there's traffic waiting to go through. And then there's the passive aggressive slow stroll across the street, annoying even when they have the right of way.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I've never seen so many blatant jaywalkers, anywhere, than JC. And I've never seen so many drivers make illegal u-turns, cross double yellows routinely, and blow stop signs as here either.

So I just walk, and drive, carefully.

Ever been to Manhattan?

In Manhattan I've never experienced pedestrians walking at corners through red lights, slowly, and expecting cars to give way like they do in JC.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Colleen was 100% right

"Learn it. Know it. Live it.". -Brad Hamilton, 3x Employee of the Month, All American Burger.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Exactly, bill.

Even hero69 himself acknowledged crossing at the wrong place because "everybody does it".

Once again, we have a case of careless, or ignorant, pedestrians with little understanding and/or a complete disregard of the laws and expecting cars to yield to them at all times.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yojimbo wrote:
Yeah, he said it's "convenient." What exactly is "convenient" about hopping a fence??

You must be quite a fatass to consider that fence unscalable. i feel sorry for you and your surely embarrassed kin.

And you have proved your dumbass intellect by rambling with the res of your post. I was only complaining of the jaywalkers which means by definition those crossing unlawfully. JEEZ

Posted on: 2014/3/13 19:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/15 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, he said it's "convenient." What exactly is "convenient" about hopping a fence?? And how many times have you seen people hopping that fence? There are marked crosswalks at Marin and Washington. Everyone I've seen crossing in the middle on Gangemi does it at Mall Drive East or West, and drivers rarely yield as they're required to.

You've already conceded that those are unmarked intersections. Arguing that the problem is caused by people who are too lazy to walk 50 feet and instead hop a fence is nonsensical.

Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

Yojimbo wrote:
Bill and bodhipooh, reading isn?t either of your strong suits, huh?

Coleen was 100% right, and cited the proper rule. That is an intersection. Hero is crossing at the intersection of Mall Drive and Thomas Gangemi Dr. It?s an unmarked intersection, but still covered by the statute

Not one of my strong suits!? Please show me where Hero mentions he is crossing at the intersection of Mall Drive E or W and TGD?

I've seen lots of pedestrians cross right across from the bank and then walk on the curb of the island till they get to Mall Dr.

Also if you have any inkling of physical ability you can hop the fence. Concerning the stroller, Hero was not specific in that person's location. If she was crossing in the unmarked intersection then obviously the driver needs to be ticketed and sent to defensive driving school.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yojimbo wrote:
Bill and bodhipooh, reading isn?t either of your strong suits, huh?

Coleen was 100% right, and cited the proper rule. That is an intersection. Hero is crossing at the intersection of Mall Drive and Thomas Gangemi Dr. It?s an unmarked intersection, but still covered by the statute

Not one of my strong suits!? Please show me where Hero mentions he is crossing at the intersection of Mall Drive E or W and TGD?

I've seen lots of pedestrians cross right across from the bank and then walk on the curb of the island till they get to Mall Dr.

Also if you have any inkling of physical ability you can hop the fence. Concerning the stroller, Hero was not specific in that person's location. If she was crossing in the unmarked intersection then obviously the driver needs to be ticketed and sent to defensive driving school.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 19:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/15 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
Coleen is correct. The area Hero is talking about IS an intersection. It's a "T" intersection at Mall Drive and Thomas Gangemi Dr. It's unmarked but still covered by the statute.

?The driver of a vehicle? shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection?

And yes, there are at least 3 crosswalks at every "T" intersection, even if two of them are unmarked, as in this case. It's almost impossible to jaywalk next to Wells Fargo-- there's a fence in the middle of the islands on both sides.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And, not only was colleen proving MY point, she seems to have missed hero69's subsequent comment where he (she?) clearly states knowing it was wrong to cross there, but it should be OK because "everybody does it".

Again: pedestrians DO NOT get the right of way just because they choose to jaywalk. The laws are codified to make streets safer for everyone. If you CHOOSE to jaywalk, you CHOOSE to accept the risks associated with it and, if you get run over, the driver will NOT be held liable (so long as he is not drunk or doing something illegal, and if he remains at the scene.) Heck, a litigious driver that runs over a person jaywalking could turn around and sue the jaywalker for all kinds of things (emotional distress, damage to personal property, etc.)

Posted on: 2014/3/13 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
from colleen's link,

Pedestrians:

Always cross at corners, within marked crosswalks where available.

If crossing in other locations, yield the right of way to vehicles. Failure to obey the law carries a $54 fine (court costs additional; C.39:4-32, 33)

Posted on: 2014/3/13 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Hero69: do you REALLY think it is safe and appropriate to cross from the Wells Fargo bank to the Newport Mall?? You have cross walks east and west. Your choice to jaywalk in the middle of the road is at your own risk. Accept it, or use the provided crosswalks.

I understood Hero to be walking along Thos Gangemi Dr (6th st). If you need a refresher, review NJ Statute 39:4-36 to understand why Hero is within his/her rights to cross on either side of Mall Drive East by the bank.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
You mean where people jaywalk?

On Manhattan Ave. east of Kennedy I saw a mother on her cell phone crossing in between cars holding her child's hand as cars having the right of way trying to avoid her. She just continued focusing on her phone conversation draging her kid behind as she strolled into the liquor store across the street.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 11:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I've never seen so many blatant jaywalkers, anywhere, than JC. And I've never seen so many drivers make illegal u-turns, cross double yellows routinely, and blow stop signs as here either.

Ever been to Manhattan?

Posted on: 2014/3/12 23:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Was the driver's fault either way.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 23:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
I think a lot of the crossing center lines right now has a lot to do avoiding pot holes. But that's a different topic.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/12 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I know this is not the correct excess, but the fact is that it is very convenient and everyone does it. if everyone is doing, perhaps the city should add speed bumps. its sorta like if everyone is smokin' but not inhalin', then maybe the government should consider alternative policies

Posted on: 2014/3/12 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Exactly! But, of course, let's not acknowledge that fact. While it is indeed true that drivers in JC are quite cavalier about basic rules and road etiquette, it is also true that TOO MANY pedestrians choose to jaywalk and cross streets wherever they please, seemingly without regard to their own lives. To make matters worse, some do this late at night, while wearing dark clothing.

Hero69: do you REALLY think it is safe and appropriate to cross from the Wells Fargo bank to the Newport Mall?? You have cross walks east and west. Your choice to jaywalk in the middle of the road is at your own risk. Accept it, or use the provided crosswalks.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
You mean where people jaywalk?

Posted on: 2014/3/12 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
JC needs to install lots more speed bumps and cameras, especially along the street/speedway bewteen the newport mall and metro plaza.

this afternoon i was walking across that treacherous path (near wells fargo) and i said to myself this is crazy - there are no stop signs or anything and someone is gonna get hurt. 20 seconds after running across the street, i hear a scream - a man had hit a woman with a todler in the stroller. fortunately, no one was hurt but wth!

Posted on: 2014/3/12 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
As I've said a dozen time on this board, writing tickets for traffic offenses in Jersey City should be like shooting fish in a barrel. For any cop sitting at a moderately busy intersection with a stop sign, at least one ticketable offense occurs per minute.

I really don't understand why the city doesn't use this as a giant bulging golden cash cow. Plug holes in the budget while making the streets safer at the same time.

Quote:

jcpedestrian wrote:
and the hits keep coming

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?se ... 55.166167960121517&type=1

I can't fathom how this can keep happening without a proper response from those sworn to protect you. The Jersey City drivers are the most aggressive, dangerous and flippant I've come across. I've lived (and survived as a pedestrian!) in some of the biggest cities in the US and have never encountered such insane, unchecked driving. Jersey City is the worst, most hostile driving I've ever encountered. There's no defense for it and certainly no excuse for the lack of enforcement.

How many people have to die or be injured before the police do their jobs? How many hit and runs before JC drivers observe the rules so easily followed by the rest of the world?

This is disgusting.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 2:23

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 1:32
Group:
Registered Users
and the hits keep coming

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?se ... 55.166167960121517&type=1

I can't fathom how this can keep happening without a proper response from those sworn to protect you. The Jersey City drivers are the most aggressive, dangerous and flippant I've come across. I've lived (and survived as a pedestrian!) in some of the biggest cities in the US and have never encountered such insane, unchecked driving. Jersey City is the worst, most hostile driving I've ever encountered. There's no defense for it and certainly no excuse for the lack of enforcement.

How many people have to die or be injured before the police do their jobs? How many hit and runs before JC drivers observe the rules so easily followed by the rest of the world?

This is disgusting.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think it is actually beyond the capibility of a human to safely cross (for example) Jersey Avenue at Seventh Street in a car.

You must edge out between parked cars, looking left and right, while also watching out of the corner of your eyes at the crosswalk you are in the middle of, and importantly watching both the crosswalk and sidewalk on the other side of Jersey Avenue for pedestrians.

It's difficult for a person to do that, I suspect that if you measured or simulated it, you'd find that a human can't pay attention to that many variables at once.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
How about closing sections of local streets and making them pedestrian-only? Erie at Cordoba, Coles at McNair, Manilla at St. Anthony's, Brunswick at Resurrection all spring to mind. That might discourage drivers using these streets as a cut-through.

that would be awesome. a little inconvenient for the locals, but a huge deterrent to the yahoos who want to get from the turnpike to the tunnel in record time.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 20:36

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017