Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: New bike path from Lincoln Park to Newark
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
El Squid - I've been looking at the Google map and ECG website. Just double-checking this: When you leave Lincoln Park (headed west to Newark) and approach the Hackensack bridge, do you ride on the sidewalk?

ECG says that at Hackensack Ave. in Kearney, cross at the crosswalk and ride on the sidewalk on the south side of the Lincoln Highway. You do that? Or ride in the road?

And then on the Newark side of the Passaic bridge, are you still on the sidewalk until you get to Raymond?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/7/29 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
I stuffed myself to the gills with fine Iberian cuisine and sangria for two hours at Catas, and somehow made it home to Downtown JC. The hardest part was schlepping back up over the Palisades. The riding in Newark and back through Kearny was flat and mellow except for the ramp up to the Passaic River bridge, which I bypassed by walking my bike straight up the grass slope to the bridge. (The old dirt stairs there got destroyed, but the hill is nbd.)

Posted on: 2014/7/29 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scubachris wrote:
I just fired off an email to the ECG.

"Yeah, this person Monroe on jclist doesn't think it's worth biking to Newark, so let's just shut the whole thing down."

And, scubachris, I wouldn't swim or scuba in the Passaic or Hackensack rivers either, lol.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 15:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/6 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
I just fired off an email to the ECG.

"Yeah, this person Monroe on jclist doesn't think it's worth biking to Newark, so let's just shut the whole thing down."

Posted on: 2014/7/29 13:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 23:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I really wish there was a better option for biking between the two places. I was surprised to learn this was technically part of the East Coast "Greenway." Besides it not being well-kept, the Newark side is particularly unfriendly, with Raymond Blvd having no bike lanes or bike markings. The lanes aren't all that wide and cars drive pretty quickly on that stretch. I think there are lots of reasons people would bike between the two cities, both for employment and recreational reasons. Newark has a performing arts center, arena, art museum and several galleries, Branch Brook Park, some good restaurants, etc.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The path reminds me of the story about the dog chasing the truck-what's he going to do when he catches it?

So you bike over the two rivers and find yourself in-downtown Newark?? Newark isn't exactly bike friendly, nor does it have many (any?) attractions for bike riders. There aren't many places I'd chain up my bike in Newark and sightsee for a while.

The Ironbound is a very vibrant, active neighborhood with a fairly unparalleled selection of Brazilian and Portuguese restaurants.

Yes, and the last thing I'd want to do after chowing down at a rodizio is bike back from the Ironbound in the dark over those two bridges even if the path was clean. Maybe when the Passaic Riverfront is more developed and they have a bike path along it I'd be interested.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The path reminds me of the story about the dog chasing the truck-what's he going to do when he catches it?

So you bike over the two rivers and find yourself in-downtown Newark?? Newark isn't exactly bike friendly, nor does it have many (any?) attractions for bike riders. There aren't many places I'd chain up my bike in Newark and sightsee for a while.

The Ironbound is a very vibrant, active neighborhood with a fairly unparalleled selection of Brazilian and Portuguese restaurants.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
http://www.greenway.org/contact-us
http://www.hudsontma.org/index.php?op ... &id=60&cat_id=0&Itemid=65
I would contact both the East Coast Greenway group and the Hudson County (TMA) Transpotation Management Authority with these horrible concerns. I rode that Greenway when they had the ribbon cutting ceremony in Lincoln Park. It was the only time I rode it. I was not impressed it is everything that is described in this thread. I was told by the ECG members that if the path is not maintained by the city/county it runs through then said path will be removed from the ECG list/map.

Thank you, I just sent both them links a email.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/28 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.greenway.org/contact-us
http://www.hudsontma.org/index.php?op ... &id=60&cat_id=0&Itemid=65
I would contact both the East Coast Greenway group and the Hudson County (TMA) Transpotation Management Authority with these horrible concerns. I rode that Greenway when they had the ribbon cutting ceremony in Lincoln Park. It was the only time I rode it. I was not impressed it is everything that is described in this thread. I was told by the ECG members that if the path is not maintained by the city/county it runs through then said path will be removed from the ECG list/map.

Posted on: 2014/7/28 17:01
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I did call the mayor action hot line again yesterday and they told me the county is responsible. They said they contacted them so we'll see how long before the area gets attention.
I did see a street sweeper this morning along the road sweeping, didn't look like it was cleaning much but at least the trash got pushed from one spot to another.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 15:31

Re: New bike path connects Jersey City and Newark
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
I tried it once the week it opened and vowed never again. Whoever (A) designated that stretch of filth and treachery a "bike route" and (B) is responsible for maintaining it (I'm guessing the State since 1/9 is a state highway) should be embarrassed. But I'm sure they're not.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
I just did this about a month ago.

I rode my old hardtail mountain bike with good Armadillo hybrid tires switched in.

It was fine, though not for everybody. I rode on the sidewalks and catwalks over the bridges (the only time I ever ride on sidewalks).

The sidewalk approaching the first bridge (over the Hackensack River) had a lot of big, leafy weeds growing into my path, but I basically just plowed right through them, and never had to put a foot down.

On the approach to the second bridge, over the Passaic, there was some sand, railroad-sized rocks, and garbage, which would have been a tad unpleasant on a road bike with skinny tires, but again I just pushed through it.

The bridge catwalks themselves were quite clean (I think the Greenway people cleaned them up last year). And the views of the rivers and nearby infrastructure were awesome.

Once over the Passaic and into Newark, I skipped Raymond Boulevard and headed south into the industrial areas, which (on a Sunday) were fairly deserted. I wound my way through them into the Ironbound and watched some World Cup Soccer at Catas, a great restaurant on Market Street.

Then I rode home.

I would like to encourage more people to do this. Yeah, it could use some more cleanup and trimming of the vegetation. But it is a way to connect and explore these two great cities by bike.

Posted on: 2014/7/26 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
I did it a long time ago. Responsibility is with the cities where the path crosses -- presumably JC and Newark. EC Greenway plans the route, but aren't responsible for maintenance.

Even when it started, it just wasn't worth the effort. Better to take the PATH.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 22:38

New bike path connects Jersey City and Newark
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ects_jersey.html#comments
I know this is 2 years old but has anyone tried to walk or bike this trail lately? It's so bad, overgrown grass & weeds & trash, broken glass, etc.
Who is in charge of maintaining this area?
It should be kept clean espically since the Skyway is closed, some people like to walk and bike but can't now across this memorial bridge.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

missmags wrote:
I did this ride within days of it being in the newspaper and the signs directing you to go the right way were already missing. Personally I did not find it easy to find and when I finally found the exit out onto the truck route of 1/9 it was anti climactic.

I guess if you do this ride often you can probably find it easier.

I tried it today. It's pretty terrible. Far and away the worst "bike path" I've ever seen.

I don't really know what's "new" about it. It's just the sidewalk along Truck 1/9 that looks like it's been overgrown with weeds and littered with broken glass and garbage for decades. I had to dismount twice, once to get around a particularly large pile of trash and again to stuff my bike and duck under a temporary sign NJDOT put up and weighted down with sandbags across the sidewalk.

It doesn't feel particularly safe. You're supposed to cross 1/9 once or twice if you follow the cues, and you have to cross several ramps with traffic swinging in and out at 55 mph. And again, garbage, broken glass, debris, and overgrowth. I'll stick to using PATH to get my bike to Newark.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 4:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
I did this ride within days of it being in the newspaper and the signs directing you to go the right way were already missing. Personally I did not find it easy to find and when I finally found the exit out onto the truck route of 1/9 it was anti climactic.

I guess if you do this ride often you can probably find it easier.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 14:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
Apart from the gravel, debris, and overgrown foliage, is it nontheless easy to follow? Is there any signage up?

Posted on: 2012/7/26 9:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jwave wrote:
Has anybody ridden this? It sounds like a real asset for those looking to commute west by bike.
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... path_connects_jersey.html

I rode it and found it pretty griddy. There was gravel everywhere, along with debris, over growth of trees, grass, and other plants. From Newark PENN Station the ride is somewhat dangerous. At first you have to ride with traffic, then as you go further east you are in the industrial area. After that you have to cross the street and encounter vehicular traffic lanes. I think this Greenway was a bit premature in it's unvailing.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
There should be bike paths everywhere and the city should be looking a solar and wind energy at every opportunity - Does JC have a sustainability policy ?

http://sustainablejc.org/wordpress/charter/
http://www.meetup.com/Sustainable-Jersey-City/
http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/boards.aspx?id=8684

Posted on: 2012/7/23 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Bike_Lane wrote: Since the newspaper didn't provide an indication of where you can go to find maps/cues of the "bike path" route, here's a link to the map from the East Coast Greenway website: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&sll=40.481462,-74.405366&sspn=0.563006,1.141205&q=http://greenway.org/maps/ECG-NJ.kml&ie=UTF8 Looks like a pretty rough route and a guaranteed tube puncture or two. And it dumps you onto Raymond Blvd, which isn't a very bike-friendly street. Oh well, it's something at least. I'll give it a shot, but I think I'll be sticking with PATH for bike trips to Essex Co. Edit: The link above keeps getting broken up. Plz copy the entire URL and paste into your browser.
Here's a clickable link: Greenway Bike Path Map

Posted on: 2012/7/23 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

missmags wrote:
In my opinion the ride seemed a bit scary and hectic. This ride may work for people but I didnt feel safe doing this ride before work since the exit within Lincoln Park is in a very remote section of the park. I prefer riding in parks and paths that are not right next to traffic.

The Lincoln Park exit is actually in one of the safest areas of the park during daylight hours. It's next to a number of sports fields and the dog run - generally there are a lot of people around. There's regular policing by both JCPD and Hudson County. Its remote location and inaccessibility actually reduces the odds of being the victim of a crime. For example, a mugger would want an easy getaway. Near that exit, there isn't one.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Since the newspaper didn't provide an indication of where you can go to find maps/cues of the "bike path" route, here's a link to the map from the East Coast Greenway website:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&sll=40.481462,-74.405366&sspn=0.563006,1.141205&q=http://greenway.org/maps/ECG-NJ.kml&ie=UTF8

Looks like a pretty rough route and a guaranteed tube puncture or two. And it dumps you onto Raymond Blvd, which isn't a very bike-friendly street. Oh well, it's something at least. I'll give it a shot, but I think I'll be sticking with PATH for bike trips to Essex Co.

Edit: The link above keeps getting broken up. Plz copy the entire URL and paste into your browser.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
I attempted this ride once on my road bike and didnt find it designed for a road bike. The path to connect out of the park is a gravel type road that really beats up your tires. Once out of the gravel area you ride on a sidewalk on the side of route 1/9 truck route. The ride does not look very scenic and I turned around at that point and went back home.

In my opinion the ride seemed a bit scary and hectic. This ride may work for people but I didnt feel safe doing this ride before work since the exit within Lincoln Park is in a very remote section of the park. I prefer riding in parks and paths that are not right next to traffic.

Posted on: 2012/7/22 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
whoooaaaa nice. Don't know when I'll get around to riding it, but that's great. Previously the only way to get to Newark with a bike was the PATH, which made for an odd quirk in the East Coast Greenway

Posted on: 2012/7/22 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
There should be bike paths everywhere and the city should be looking a solar and wind energy at every opportunity - Does JC have a sustainability policy ?

Posted on: 2012/7/22 13:02
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

New bike path from Lincoln Park to Newark
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
Has anybody ridden this? It sounds like a real asset for those looking to commute west by bike.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... path_connects_jersey.html

Posted on: 2012/7/22 9:50

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017