Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Kayaking in JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I wish there was some sort of phone app, or at least some way to get a PDF of those current charts into my phone. I have a hard copy at home, but it'd be nice to glance at it on the fly; when I'm on the water, in a harbor grabbing dinner, fishing, etc.

Why not just download them, crop them to the relevant area to save space, and upload them as pics to your phone? I've also had success making waterproof charts by flipping the image, printing it on a laser transparency, then spraying the back with white krylon. I imagine all 12 cropped to the harbor area would fit on one sheet.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I wish there was some sort of phone app, or at least some way to get a PDF of those current charts into my phone. I have a hard copy at home, but it'd be nice to glance at it on the fly; when I'm on the water, in a harbor grabbing dinner, fishing, etc.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
High tide in Weehawken is about 30 minutes after high tide at the Battery. Which makes sense, if the water is moving about 1-2 kts. It is indeed confusing, but the differentiating factor is the Long Island Sound...you really have two large bodies of water feeding NY Harbor. For this reason, Eldridge books include charts of the currents in NY Harbor - it's not a typical inlet system. I have been on my boat in the Battery where the East River and Hudson River meet, on a nearly windless day, going over 4' waves.

Thanks so much for the link to the Eldridge pages, I spent a long time studying them. Crazy crap, at 3 hr past low there's water pouring into the harbor both down the Hudson and up through the Narrows! Plus a separate little idiosyncratic current right in front of LSP. I've got a much better idea now of how to plan a trip.

I downloaded the maps, I imagine they're infringing the Eldridge copyright by having them up!

Posted on: 2013/8/13 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
High tide in Weehawken is about 30 minutes after high tide at the Battery. Which makes sense, if the water is moving about 1-2 kts. It is indeed confusing, but the differentiating factor is the Long Island Sound...you really have two large bodies of water feeding NY Harbor. For this reason, Eldridge books include charts of the currents in NY Harbor - it's not a typical inlet system. I have been on my boat in the Battery where the East River and Hudson River meet, on a nearly windless day, going over 4' waves.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

paulushooker wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Bravo PH! How's the new boat? And how are you working that tin, jigging near the bottom or retrieving? Is that clam on there?

My son and I were out yesterday 10:30 to 2, he working a hi-lo with fishbites and me a bucktail and teaser with Gulp hoping for a fluke. He had 7 spots & croakers, me zip. The boy caught dinner!

Was the first calm day in a while, but the wind rose from ~6kt to 15 just after we took off. Good timing was lucky. Another weid thing wa that even though high tide was 11:50, we still drifted north till after 1. I kept waiting for it to reverse, and finally we had to paddle back from north of Ellis back to the south end kayak launch.

That's great that you made it out. Wow 7 spots is great eating! Nice work.

The new yak is great. It's a 10ft Old Town Vapor Angler and tracks very nicely. My old Prijon was a whitewater river boat so every time I would do a stroke it would twist. Glad to have gotten that off my hands.

The only thing I don't like about it is the seat. It's brutal. Next time I'm using my PFD as the cushion. Otherwise it's really a great harbor boat.

I was using clams and just jigging in about 8ft. of water. I tell ya, they were nibbling and stealing the bait constantly. Definitely a good time, though.

Wear your PFD, don't sit on it! See if you can get some minicell foam sheet like this, it's closed cell, usually dark grey with a smooth surface, and commonly used for kayak seat outfitting. glue some 1/4 or 1/2 inch down in the seat with contact cement. One of the best things about my new boat is the great seat and backrest. After decades of paddling whitewater boats the backrest is such a luxury.

One way to beat the baitstealers is really small hooks, like #6 or 8. Next time out we'll bring some salted clam and see how it does head to head vs fishbites. The bite was definitely a little slower yesterday than some previous trips, lots of variable though, like time, tide and location.

Tommy, do I understand that correctly that at high there's a still a 1.7 kt north current? But you can't put water in a vessel without the level rising! Shouldn't high tide be later then, or is it actually later in Weehawken even as it's falling at the Battery?

Posted on: 2013/8/13 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
I have a barely used Hobie for which I have no storage space. I have been keeping it for years in a friend's garage upstate NY, but lately my buddy has been hinting that he wants it gone. If you guys know somebody who needs an ocean Hobie in excellent shape I can offer a good deal.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

paulushooker wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Bravo PH! How's the new boat? And how are you working that tin, jigging near the bottom or retrieving? Is that clam on there?

My son and I were out yesterday 10:30 to 2, he working a hi-lo with fishbites and me a bucktail and teaser with Gulp hoping for a fluke. He had 7 spots & croakers, me zip. The boy caught dinner!

Was the first calm day in a while, but the wind rose from ~6kt to 15 just after we took off. Good timing was lucky. Another weid thing wa that even though high tide was 11:50, we still drifted north till after 1. I kept waiting for it to reverse, and finally we had to paddle back from north of Ellis back to the south end kayak launch.

The new yak is great. It's a 10ft Old Town Vapor Angler and tracks very nicely. My old Prijon was a whitewater river boat so every time I would do a stroke it would twist. Glad to have gotten that off my hands.

The only thing I don't like about it is the seat. It's brutal. Next time I'm using my PFD as the cushion. Otherwise it's really a great harbor boat.

I was using clams and just jigging in about 8ft. of water. I tell ya, they were nibbling and stealing the bait constantly. Definitely a good time, though.

Wear your PFD, don't sit on it! See if you can get some minicell foam sheet like this, it's closed cell, usually dark grey with a smooth surface, and commonly used for kayak seat outfitting. glue some 1/4 or 1/2 inch down in the seat with contact cement. One of the best things about my new boat is the great seat and backrest. After decades of paddling whitewater boats the backrest is such a luxury.

One way to beat the baitstealers is really small hooks, like #6 or 8. Next time out we'll bring some salted clam and see how it does head to head vs fishbites. The bite was definitely a little slower yesterday than some previous trips, lots of variable though, like time, tide and location.

Tommy, do I understand that correctly that at high there's a still a 1.7 kt north current? But you can't put water in a vessel without the level rising! Shouldn't high tide be later then, or is it actually later in Weehawken even as it's falling at the Battery?

Posted on: 2013/8/12 20:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/27 23:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/12 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
It doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, but like I said it's a complex system. Check the charts out, good to have these on hand: http://www.villagecommunityboathouse.org/nyc-harbor-currents/

Posted on: 2013/8/12 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The current in New York Harbor moves north from 2 hours before high tide to 2 hours after high tide. It's not your typical system; very complex with Long Island Sound/East River also feeding the system.

I guess I don't understand how it can still be incoming after it hits high? Wouldn't that make high later in those areas? I checked the actual reading vs prediction at the Battery, and it did actually peak at noon. By 2 when we took off it seemed to be outgoing, the current below the LSP point was heading west towards the boat launch.

BTW, someone should tell all those powerboaters using that channel that there's a channel speed limit! Some are going 30 kts.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The current in New York Harbor moves north from 2 hours before high tide to 2 hours after high tide. It's not your typical system; very complex with Long Island Sound/East River also feeding the system.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/8/12 16:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Testing the new fishing yak and caught 3 croakers and a spot.

Croaker

Spot

Croaker #2

Croaker #3

Posted on: 2013/8/12 2:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/9 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
There are still a few spaces left for the kayak program at Liberty State Park:

Thursday, August 15
Friday, August 16
Saturday, August 17
Sunday, August 18
Thursday, August 29
Friday, August 30

To register, download the form at Liberty State Park and send an e-mail to lspoffice@verizon.net.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

paulushooker wrote:
New fishing kayak comes in tomorrow so I might see you on the water this weekend. I got the clams and bunker all ready to go.

I bought a can of Gulp Alive shads, if I get the skunk again at least I won't have wasted any bait! Don't forget to pick up some Fishbites Bloodworm strips and #6 hooks for the spots. They're small but tasty. Apparently spot fishing is HUGE down in the carolinas!

Posted on: 2013/8/8 3:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
New fishing kayak comes in tomorrow so I might see you on the water this weekend. I got the clams and bunker all ready to go.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Bought a new rod for the kayak and wanted to get out, but the wind has been howling. I don't get it, the marine forecast for Robbins Reef (just off the end of the Marine Ocean Terminal) calls for 11 kt winds, yet the realtime reading on the same page shows 19 kts! Same thing yesterday. 22 mph is too much wind for a comfortable, fun paddle.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
I was torn between this one and the Intex K2. In the end I had to go with marginally better reviews (by a thin hair) and the mfr's pedigree in making inflatable boats. Not that either is a high end boat, and in the end they are basically identical. Probably made in the same factory in China anyway.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Ha ha ha! You will not regret your purchase. I looked at that model and ultimately decided on the Intex version. I reckon they are essentially the same thing. Most impressive/surprising thing is being able to stand on them. You half expect the whole thing to collapse under your weight, but when properly inflated, these things are sturdy.

Maybe we should all organize a JCLIST kayaking meet up.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks to the discussion in this thread, I just ordered a Sevylor Fiji kayak to use in Barnegat Bay and hopefully the calmer bits of NY Harbor/Liberty St. Park.

I'll post an update on how it works and I won't blame JC List if I sink!

Posted on: 2013/7/30 18:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

In case anyone is interested, I'm selling my German-made Prijon Boxer river kayak. It has scratches from use is still very much seaworthy and a fun boat to paddle down rivers or creeks. 9 ft 10 in long, 25" wide, 40lbs. I am 6'3 and 225 and I fit into this boat with ease. Has a fully adjustable seat and footpads. $250 OBO. PM me if interested.

photo 2013-07-22094835_zps2245c55b.jpg

photo 2013-07-22094905_zps3d24d4a9.jpg

Posted on: 2013/7/22 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the tip, Brewster. I have been mulling a trip out to the Delaware Water Gap and other fun places, but wasn't sure if it was a good idea. Maybe I will test it out soon.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
If I recall correctly, about a year or two ago, someone came in here and tried to drum up some interest in getting some people to chip in to rent some space to store kayaks. I think interest was tepid, sadly. I would love to own a hard shell kayak, but cringe at the space requirements.

I ended up buying an inflatable one (Intex Challenger, through Amazon) and I have used it extensively on the Hudson and I am VERY impressed with it. It is fun, and VERY sturdy (I can actually stand inside of it) and it seats two. My usual copilot is my dog (a Weimaraner) and he is happy in it, too. There are suggestions for making it even more stable by adding a fin to it, but I have done just fine without it. I can have it inflated and ready to launch in less than 10 minutes. After taking it on the Hudson, I come home, wash it down, let it dry out and then fold it back into its bag. Definitely a good investment and fun. May not be suitable for a rocky white water rapids trip, though.

You'd be surprised about the whitewater, similar Tahiti's are often used by rentals out west, I've done local class 1-2 whitewater in mine with a kid, and my 14 year old did the Lehigh river a couple of weeks ago in it. But a ranger at the takeout thought it didn't meet the rubberized fabric code for inflatables they apparently have.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If I recall correctly, about a year or two ago, someone came in here and tried to drum up some interest in getting some people to chip in to rent some space to store kayaks. I think interest was tepid, sadly. I would love to own a hard shell kayak, but cringe at the space requirements.

I ended up buying an inflatable one (Intex Challenger, through Amazon) and I have used it extensively on the Hudson and I am VERY impressed with it. It is fun, and VERY sturdy (I can actually stand inside of it) and it seats two. My usual copilot is my dog (a Weimaraner) and he is happy in it, too. There are suggestions for making it even more stable by adding a fin to it, but I have done just fine without it. I can have it inflated and ready to launch in less than 10 minutes. After taking it on the Hudson, I come home, wash it down, let it dry out and then fold it back into its bag. Definitely a good investment and fun. May not be suitable for a rocky white water rapids trip, though.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 18:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote: Is there still nowhere downtown to store a canoe/kayak?

There appears to be a no-frills storage facility right next to Liberty State park that stores sailboats and power boats. Perhaps they would store kayaks.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Is there still nowhere downtown to store a canoe/kayak?

Posted on: 2013/7/17 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Never saw or heard of these spots. I caught two summer flounder off Bay Ridge a few weeks ago. Haven't done much fishing yet this year, just cruising but Brewster you are right it's a marvelous area to live and a marvelous area to boat in.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 12:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I caught a croaker using a minnow lure on Saturday. I went out on Sunday too but no luck.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Hey, I was out Saturday too! Didn't see you, was out ~2-5:30 in that same area. Catch anything?

Posted on: 2013/7/16 23:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

From Saturday. Fishing in the rain.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Got out last evening in my new sit-on-top fishing kayak, what a stunning time to paddle! On an outgoing tide I paddled from the LSP launch to Ellis I., fished some there, went east to the channel buoy, drifted south past Liberty I, and then west again, fishing various spots.

It was a very comfortable temp, that microclimate you get close to the water, the view of JC, NYC & the sunset was killer. A fleet of tourist boats came out to the Statue to view it silhouetted by the sunset, and a fireboat was there spouting jets of water in the air for some reason. Photo shoot?

After losing some bunker to baitstealers but getting the skunk, I headed back and tried some artificial bloodworm bait in the flats south of LSP and connected with the spots, a small member of the drum family that have made an unusually strong appearance this year. Fished till I could hear the park police announcing "the park will close at 10", and headed in with a couple of dinners worth of spot. I'd have preferred some blues, but I hear they're scarce in the bay this year for some reason. The paddle was a great reminder of what a spectacular place we live.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 20:56

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017