Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
56 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 56

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Bergen Lafayette?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

jctexan wrote:
We're looking at Astor Place. In your experience, is it fairly safe? People seem to take great pride in their homes in that area, and the neighborhood association seems like its strong (thanks, Google!).

I?ll suggest you go through some of this as a few people that live in the area have posted on it:
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=31797

If you have any questions on the area, don?t hesitate to send a private message over.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Wasn't someone shot a few days ago the next block over from Astor?

Not that I?m aware of.

Now you're aware.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... treet_in_jersey_city.html

Interesting... That street is rather crappy to start with. I walk my dog down it regularly and often times it is around then. They have a cop posted on the corner every morning, but I guess that isn't in effect during the commute home...

Posted on: 2014/5/23 12:56
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

jctexan wrote:
We're looking at Astor Place. In your experience, is it fairly safe? People seem to take great pride in their homes in that area, and the neighborhood association seems like its strong (thanks, Google!).

I?ll suggest you go through some of this as a few people that live in the area have posted on it:

If you have any questions on the area, don?t hesitate to send a private message over.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Not that I?m aware of.

Now you're aware.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... treet_in_jersey_city.html

Posted on: 2014/5/23 11:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jctexan wrote:

Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Not that I?m aware of.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 11:52
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/23 10:27

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/3 19:45
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, it's very safe. I've lived here 7 years and, I have never had a problem.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 4:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/23 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Yikes, I don't know about that. I live right on Communipaw (The Foundry) and while I like the neighborhood and have been here a long while, I am not sure I would want to be south of Communipaw. Where exactly?? Unless you are talking WAY SOUTH, over by the Danforth light rail station area, which is a VERY quiet area, with relatively low crime and traffic. Garfield Avenue is heavily trafficked, and the areas immediately next to it are very iffy.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 2:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
My husband and I are considering a house in Bergen Hill. We love the area, but wonder if south of communipaw would be a smarter choice in terms of house value and the potential for increase in the coming years. Any longtimers have any thoughts on the long term values? We just had our first child, so schools are also a concern.

Posted on: 2014/5/23 1:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 19:50
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I timed the commute and compared where I live now on Pacific to where I used to live on Third and it's only ten minutes longer to work. Yes, I gave up DT but I can afford a house. And it's quiet.

Posted on: 2014/5/17 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Love this walk on a nice night, super quiet too. I have a realtor friend in the neighborhood and he also says the inventory in the area is flying, definitely a good sign.

Quote:

Susan_N wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
It's not just one station, though. From the BeLa area close to the LSP station, you can gain quick, easy access to LSP (a very short walk) in addition to still being walking distance to DTJC. Yes, it is a long walk, but many people actually walk it from time to time.

Agreed. It's only 20 minutes to the Grove Street PATH station from much of Lafayette. I walk it all the time!

Posted on: 2014/5/13 11:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/13 3:47
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I just moved from DT JC to BL a few months ago. The commute is longer but still fairly quick. Hopefully quicker once the Jersey Ave Ext is built. Still wondering if/when the proposed plan will move forward.

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/uploa ... 20Conceptual%20Design.pdf

http://www.njtpa.org/getattachment/Pr ... m/JerseyCityLCDP.pdf.aspx

http://www.thejcra.org/index.php?p=project-details&pid=99

Posted on: 2014/5/13 3:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/10 2:34
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
It's not just one station, though. From the BeLa area close to the LSP station, you can gain quick, easy access to LSP (a very short walk) in addition to still being walking distance to DTJC. Yes, it is a long walk, but many people actually walk it from time to time.

Agreed. It's only 20 minutes to the Grove Street PATH station from much of Lafayette. I walk it all the time!

Posted on: 2014/5/13 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/12 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
What a difference a station makes, the last two homes sold for 365k and 420k. Go one station over and the houses are 240k.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I can corroborate as much, as well. I have been in that area (The Foundry) for over seven years, and while at first it seemed like on the verge of gentrification, the economic collapse brought that to an end. But, over the past two years or so, the area has seen a LOT of activity, with many old homes being bought and gut renovated, and some new small buildings have gone up. The area is still sorely lacking in terms of amenities, but I think those will follow. It is not at all rare anymore to see professionals coming and going from the LSP light rail station and the area around it.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I just had lunch with two clients and both had houses up for sale in the BL section next to the LSP lightrail and they both sold within a week. BL real estate seems to be heating up.

This is most certainly true. Houses around me are disappearing fast. One house wasn't even on the market for a day and it was under contract...

Posted on: 2014/5/12 20:02
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I just had lunch with two clients and both had houses up for sale in the BL section next to the LSP lightrail and they both sold within a week. BL real estate seems to be heating up.

Posted on: 2014/5/12 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Hey STC4 can you elaborate on the pictures you've posted and what the mayor is trying to convey ?

This was the wrap-up to the tour of the winning gardens in the City's Adopt-a-Lot Program. The UMMI Living Village Community Garden won for Seed Sowing. The seeds are mostly metaphorical, getting a wide variety of people involved in the garden. The people in the picture were accepting the award.

Posted on: 2013/10/20 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Hey STC4 can you elaborate on the pictures you've posted and what the mayor is trying to convey ? Quote:
stc4blues wrote: Not quite Lafayette, but just up the street, btw Communipaw & Harrison, Bergen & Monticello: IMGP4248 IMGP4243

Posted on: 2013/10/20 12:51
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Not quite Lafayette, but just up the street, btw Communipaw & Harrison, Bergen & Monticello: IMGP4248 IMGP4243

Posted on: 2013/10/20 10:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/8 14:47
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Check out the Halladay Homes, a new residential project underway in Bergen-Lafayette. Just off Pacific and Communipaw you may qualify to purchase a 2-family home for $250,000. New construction with 6 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. Watch the youtube video for contact information. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2kdTdW7gr4

The part of Bergen-Lafayette around Pacific and Communipaw has many amenities. The newest municipal pool, Lafayette Park, Light Rail Station, easy access to Liberty State Park and Science Center, library and soon - a community center and Berry Lane Park. There is a community and municipal effort to improve quality of life issues in this area of Jersey City

Posted on: 2013/8/23 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
No offense, but how can getting priced out of a neighborhood be a positive and the key sign that an area has come around, as you say? A lot of great middle income people got priced out of dtjc in the past few years. I lived there since 1995 & hated to leave last summer for another area due to the extreme over pricing. I find a lot of the development in dtjc to be out of control and not smart urban planning in terms of the exponential added density. I also find the diversity fading a bit too much for my taste.

As an unintended consequence, you have likely become a positive neighbor in an area that could benefit from that?

Posted on: 2013/8/20 19:40
Dos A Cero

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't say it was a good thing. I said it was an indication of how far the turnaround in DTJC had come. And being priced out is relative. What person A can't afford, person B can. I couldn't afford to buy here now, probably, but I'm here and I'm not going anywhere. I'm sorry people are leaving the area, but the positive side of that is that they are moving to other neighborhoods and helping to strengthen those, just as I did in 1999. I didn't move here thinking, "god, I hope more middle income people don't move here because then rents are going to go up and more expensive stores will displace the ones I can afford to shop at". I expected that a turnaround would take time and that JC had the room and the inventory to absorb new, more affluent people without it turning into another Hoboken. In my opinion, I think that has happened. I have worked in downtown revitalization and redevelopment tangentially for years, so all I can tell you is that there is still plenty of opportunity in downtown for healthy, sensible redevelopment. A few overpriced highrises were bound to happen, but those rents will fall over time. As far as the positives, they were already addressed by another person here.

I appreciate your wanting a diverse and interesting mix of residents, but in my opinion, we still have it. I have been gone, as I mentioned, for over 6 years and the changes I am seeing are startling across the board, both good and bad. There are many more homeless and drunk people on the streets. The sidewalks and streets are absolutely filthy, and you used to be able to eat off of them on my block. The business mix is more vibrant, but as I mentioned in another thread, businesses that cater to less affluent communities are still here, cheek to jowl with others that are more upscale.

There is a lot that can and should happen in terms of redevelopment, but there is a lot of opportunity still, and hopefully the new mayor will look at ways of doing it that are healthy and responsible.

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
No offense, but how can getting priced out of a neighborhood be a positive and the key sign that an area has come around, as you say? A lot of great middle income people got priced out of dtjc in the past few years. I lived there since 1995 & hated to leave last summer for another area due to the extreme over pricing. I find a lot of the development in dtjc to be out of control and not smart urban planning in terms of the exponential added density. I also find the diversity fading a bit too much for my taste.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 14:36

Flood Zones in Bergen Lafayette?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Be careful, some of the low lying areas by the Liberty Light Rail Stop are in the designated flood zone, which means thousands of dollars of required insurance.

I opted out of a home purchase when i found that out, so be sure to check the FEMA maps if you are considering purchasing.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

How did you get priced out in the first place, did the landlord triple your rent or were you too late in the home buying game ? As far as diversity is concerned consider it just a defrag of human storage. Strangely you are probably noticing more wealthy famlies of diverse groups that act very similar with a usual pattern from day to day.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 12:04

Edited by heights on 2013/8/9 12:22:46
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Those who say DTJC is not diverse in terms of racke are lying. There are plenty of east and south Asians. The least diverse neighborhood in JC is BL.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 9:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
No flooding around the LSP Light Rail stop, at least in any of the surrounding streets west of the stop during Sandy. Not like Grand Ave for instance.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I looooooooveeeeeee Pacific street right off Communipaw its such a lovely stretch of a block. As another poster pointed out I also looked at BL to live but I wanted to be near the Liberty State Park light rail but that area had major flooding issues so I passed, and the only transportation out of there was the LSP rail or the MLK hub :\

well there goes the quiet neighborhood :P

Posted on: 2013/8/9 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I looooooooveeeeeee Pacific street right off Communipaw its such a lovely stretch of a block. As another poster pointed out I also looked at BL to live but I wanted to be near the Liberty State Park light rail but that area had major flooding issues so I passed, and the only transportation out of there was the LSP rail or the MLK hub :\

Posted on: 2013/8/9 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

How about really good reasons...

1) Affluent neighborhoods where median income is high have less crime, especially violent crime.

2) Affluent neighborhoods where median income is high have better public schools - millburn in NJ for example. (btw, McNair is not a true public school in the sense that testing is required to get in so don't come back with me with that example)

3) Affluent neighborhoods where median income is high have less abandoned buildings and vacant lots.

I'm not against diversity but what does "diversity" add in real world terms? It's nice that my child has a diverse group of friends but what the heck does that matter if he/she cannot read or write ?

Safety & Education > Diversity

Disagree?

Posted on: 2013/8/9 2:30

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact