Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Condo Noise
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Texas wrote:
coronalime, there is a difference between talking to your neighbors about something and complaining. You have to be nice, and if it doesn't work then go from there. What does it cost to have a sound-proofing company come in and install a drop ceiling to muffle the noise? Sounds expensive. Not everyone in this situation has money to spend on something like that. We don't even know if the original poster, crushthedemoniac is renting their place or owns it. If they are renting, why on earth would they spend money to put in a drop down ceiling?

I do own the unit, the thing that kinda gets me is one of my first questions was about the sound from upstairs and how it would affect my unit. I was told that unless the person upstairs was doing an Irish jig or something you would not hear much. I don't think I'll go as far as to sound proof it, I guess I'll just give him some time since hes only been there a month ,and hopefully he picks up an area rug soon. One positive is at night I don't have the same problem because the units bedrooms are right above/below each other and they have carpeting.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
My condo requires 70% of the floors to be covered with carpeting, makes it quieter.
Check and see if this is part of the house rules.
I never hear the upstairs neighbors.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 17:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
coronalime, there is a difference between talking to your neighbors about something and complaining. You have to be nice, and if it doesn't work then go from there. What does it cost to have a sound-proofing company come in and install a drop ceiling to muffle the noise? Sounds expensive. Not everyone in this situation has money to spend on something like that. We don't even know if the original poster, crushthedemoniac is renting their place or owns it. If they are renting, why on earth would they spend money to put in a drop down ceiling?

Posted on: 2010/7/27 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
How about bringing it up with the building management or condo association (or as someone else mentioned, talk to the people upstairs). In my building, we all agreed to walk around in slippers/socks or barefoot - nobody found that a particularly onerous request. As an Asian, I always found the western habit of wearing your "outside" shoes in your home particularly disgusting.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Your best bet is to have a sound-proofing company come in and install a drop ceiling to muffle the noise.

Complaining to your upstairs neighbor will get you nowhere.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 17:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
I bought my place 2 years ago and I'm still dealing with the same issue. it's a huge pain in the ass and I'd love to know any solutions that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I used to have a lot of trouble getting to sleep but now I turn my fan on high next to the bed to drown out most of the noise. It seems to do the trick most nights.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 17:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
Have you guys not thought about talking to your neighbors? I bet if they are on the top floor they have no idea that they are making noise that disturbs you. I had a place in Westfield, NJ several years ago that had hard wood floors. The building and lease required that all tenants had 75% of their floor space covered by area rugs that had a foam thing underneath. I thought it was a dumb rule at the time, but now that I live on the 2nd floor of a 3 story building I totally understand why the building had the rule. I bet if you let your neighbors know what is going on and suggested they get a area rug with a liner underneath your problem would be solved.

Did your management company and realtor really tell you to deal with it or move? What #OOPS#ing jerks....I can't believe they didn't suggest you try talking to your neighbors.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 17:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/24 18:10
Group:
Registered Users
I am going thru the same thing. I was told by the realtor and management company that I have to deal with it or sell. which in this market would mean I would lose like 20k and I bought it at a ridiculously low price to begin with.

In any case, I am going to keep a close eye on this thread to see what answers you get.

p.s. thank the Lord that they do not have a rocking chair. yeah that's fun to hear for hours at a time! or better yet their chained up yappy dog jumping off the bed and dragging the 20lb chain in the middle of the night or just as you are drifting off to sleep.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 17:09

Condo Noise
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Anybody else dealing with loud footsteps above them due to hardwood floors? I cant hear the person doing anything else, but the footsteps are clear as day. Now if the person decided to put down an area rug would this dull the noise? Or do I just have to deal with it?

Posted on: 2010/7/27 15:36

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017