Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Question on Safety of Brunswick Btwn 2/3rd
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Elvis,

Met you with the gal on the path last week.

I just moved here from Grove and Bay. Never a problem. I move 5 blocks and whammy. My personal feeling is it was a bad week.

Stuff like this happens in a city. Otherwise move to the burbs. Not you Elvis.

After living in Manhattan and Brooklyn for 22 years combined, just keep your guard up. Random madness does happen but to call a section unsafe is a bit over the top. With regards to police, the only time I see them is when they go to the corner stores for a coffee. Then again maybe that is their way of showing presence.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 22:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
Also, does anyone else see the irony in Grove Path posting the story about the shooting on First and Brunswick, or is it just me?

Total irony, elvis-- I would agree.

I wonder too if this grovepath character actually lives in the neighborhood that he describes as "very quiet." From the fire-house alarms/ sirens, to the occasional street ruckus, to the seemingly constant construction projects, this wasn't my experience at all.

Also, I gotta back you up for not knowing what GP meant by the second "vintage shop" in the neighborhood. That's certainly not how I would describe that place on 3rd & Newark either.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
So, in light of this shooting, does everyone still think this is a safe area?

Also, does anyone else see the irony in Grove Path posting the story about the shooting on First and Brunswick, or is it just me?

Wonder why he didn't post it in this thread...

Posted on: 2009/2/2 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hudsonhorizons wrote:
I just heard about a shooting on Brunswick and 1st Street last night. Anybody have info on this, I couldn't find anything online at the Jersey Journal.

Scary.

My son heard gunshots around 3 AM. They found shell casings in front of Carmines Pizza.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 2:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/17 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, it was a stabbing, (police told a merchant) - people fighting, I watched the crime scene unfold from my window, (the BCI unit, I think they call it here) yellow cones, photos, then the jcfd went into the bodega on the corner, bought bleach, put it in what looked like an old exterminator cylinder, and sprayed the blood, (there was much... a trail - from around the corner on 2nd to Brunswick then out onto the street) it is now drying in the cold winter sun. Have a great weekend everyone!

Posted on: 2009/1/31 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I call BS on the shooting. I was out this morning and took my dog for a couple walks down Brunswick. No such blood trail, or my dog would have been all over it. She's a K-9 trained German Shepherd.

Posted on: 2009/1/31 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How about all the cops out there right now? I was out and saw one cop pointing to the trails of blood going down Brunswick. The fire department has roped off the building on the corner of 2nd and brunswick and it looks like an investigation is going on. Any info on this?

Posted on: 2009/1/31 17:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/30 1:35
Group:
Banned
I just heard about a shooting on Brunswick and 1st Street last night. Anybody have info on this, I couldn't find anything online at the Jersey Journal.

Scary.

Posted on: 2009/1/31 16:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/8 2:30
Group:
Registered Users
I've been reading Jersey City list since I moved here in June and this is my first post. I bought on 2nd across from the Italian bakery between Brunswick and Colgate.

I walk home from the PATH late at night many times given my working hours (sometimes 1AM, 2AM) and have never felt especially threatened. Newark is well lit and most people down on 2nd street have motion lights. Like any city environment, I always have my "guard up" when I'm walking at night, but I doubt I would feel any different if I was closer to the water or out in Hoboken.

I would also like to point out that the area is only going to increase in foot traffic. There is a large complex being built between 1st and 3rd behind Colgate that I believe is going to have a bunch of units as well as the renovated buildings such as the one you are looking at now. Usually I say more people = more safe.

Finally, I'd have to second that I love carmines and the 2nd street bakery. Noise has never been a problem for me and I'm on the ground floor. Good luck with your search!

Posted on: 2009/1/30 18:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
I lived on 5th and Brunswick for about a year. I did plenty of walking home from the Path alone at night, and didn't experience any trouble; however at the same time I never felt especially safe or homey there. Kids do like to stand around on Brunswick and smoke blunts and the like, but none of them ever bothered me except to buy them beer. I think my own feeling of unease came more from not knowing any of my neighbors, which I think may be due to high turnover.

Now I live up by "big-bad journal square" (off Magnolia) and I gotta say as a single woman I actually feel much safer. Often people characterize downtown as safe and journal square as sketchy, but I think that's an oversimplification, and my experience has been the exact opposite. My neighbors, though their skin may not be the same hue as mine, seem to look out for each other and there is much more sense of community.

Not to say that Brunswick and 3rd is unsafe (and I suppose it is up-and-coming). I just didn't feel as safe living there, and I would certainly not describe the neighborhood as quiet.

Posted on: 2009/1/30 16:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/15 19:02
From Waterfront
Group:
Registered Users
PS- The property we were looking at is 133 Brunswick on the corner of 3rd. It is a brand-new corner duplex condo on the ground and first floor. It is a mix of brownstone/ townhouse/mediterranean, very beautiful. It is a very affordable price as well.

Posted on: 2009/1/30 3:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/15 19:02
From Waterfront
Group:
Registered Users
I want to thank everybody for taking the time to respond so quickly to my request on this neighborhood. Many of you live in and like this neighborhood, you have answered my questions and I am a whole lot more "in the know." You were extremely detailed and thoughtful in your responses. There are mixed thoughts on the topic, and that is ok.

I enjoyed your humor, too. Thank you immensely!

Posted on: 2009/1/30 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
I just moved to 118 Brunswick. I have no problem. I guess after living in Brooklyn and Manhattan I have a higher sense of threat.

I do agree that the Lamppost can be a bit loud but it is winter now.

I find everyone to be very kind.

Posted on: 2009/1/30 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
GrovePath wrote:

Quote:

To the OP - the area you are asking about is very quiet - go at different hours and look around - go into the stores, restaurants and bars and talk to real people - not some of these trolls.

GrovePath wrote:

Quote:

OP go to real places in the area - talk to real people - go at all hours - it is a lot like the best areas of Brooklyn. Good Luck!

To the original poster, I assume you also looked at the third floor condos that are not selling at 395 Second. If so, they're much lovelier than the neighborhood, but if you even have this concern... why take the risk? For me and Elvis and the others, perhaps it's no problem. But ya know what, if you think you're too yuppified or gentrified to even consider this neighborhood, then don't. Trading security (not actual safety, but just the sense of it) for a great condo is something you seem to be shying away from.

Also, you'll have no idea what "real people" think even after talking only a select number of them. GrovePath is trying to be open and welcoming and democratic or something equally unimportant, but wrongly presumes the random person-on-the-street knows better than those who apparently live in the neighborhood.

Since you came HERE to ask your question, listen to the people on THIS thread who provided their input: Elvis, Buttons, srg1, Rizzer, Justin, JCemcee, etc. Also, I used to live there about 3 months ago. Also, bounce some ideas off of the self-appointed neighborhood association, The Village. They're pretty cool people, and diverse, but are not representative of the neighborhood. That is, they're mostly family-friendly hunky-dory new JC folks: not the historical JC Village residents... whatever that means. They've got a meeting coming up. http://jcvillage.org

So:

Brunswick Street gets a lot of traffic from Newark Avenue. Brunswick Street also gets a lot of high schoolers and litter. The 2nd Street Deli gets a lot of customers, especially cops/ firemen. 2nd street gets a lot of noise, drunks, smokers, and double-parked cars because of Latin Lounge and Lamp Post. Same goes for Indios on First Street. There's even a motorcycle shop on that block of second but I've never heard complaints about them.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Having lived at Brunswick and 4th for many years, I would agree that safety is not a major issue. Random things happen all over town, even in the so-called nicer areas. No-one is immune from that as evidenced this week.

What I didn't like was the throngs of kids cutting through the street for lunch (from Ferris HS mostly) who were extremely disrespectful, littering and vandalizing properties, the side mirrors of my car were broken off several times and my car was broken into once. I often would come home to find the stoop of my building occupied by these kids who would leave their soda bottles and trash there on a daily basis. Other than that the streets around Newark and Brunswick are very loud with sirens and fire trucks barreling down Newark Ave at all hours.

I moved last year and don't miss it one bit. Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 20:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/24 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
I live on 2nd & Brunswick and I have only encountered the kinds of issues that any city dweller would expect. The bars mentioned are not directly on that stretch of block that you're asking about so it will not be too noisy (Lamp Post is around the corner and the others are a couple blocks away). If you're living directly across or next to them that is a different story, but you have that risk moving very close to a bar in any city. As a woman I feel comfortable walking around at night. Just remember, its still urban, so you always have to be on guard (the suburbs exist if you're looking to get away from that). But I agree with what was said above, its just as safe as any of the nicer areas in Brooklyn.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 19:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/10 18:14
From JC Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I live on 2nd a Brunswick and there are no real problems. Bars are fine and don't usually get too nuts. Bar over on 1st (Indios) is kind of crazy - would reco not going there.

Kids walk around during or right after school hours - no big deal. There are cops all over the place most of the time (as mentioned above) at the deli, pizza place, etc.

It is still the city, so obvs you need to stay aware. However, this is not even close to being what I would consider a 'bad' neighborhood. It could use some improvement on a few fronts, but that is why it is an investment.

Bonus - 2nd st. deli & madame claudes are crazy good and you'll be right next to them. Go for it.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 18:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/19 21:19
Group:
Registered Users
I have lived on Brunswick near 3rd for 7 years. I can say the neighborhood has improved since then in terms of safety and appearance. I can't get over how many galleries have popped up. I've had no problems walking around late at night and several women I know who live in the area also have never been fearful at night. But that's not to say that the scumbags don't show up every now and then. Last year, teen thugs attacked an older man with a brick between 2nd and 3rd, smashing his face. This past summer I witnessed right in front of my building a severe beating a gang of 10 teens dished out on another teen. Interestingly, these crimes were committed in broad daylight.

Nevertheless, I have always felt the neighboor to be safe; it's the old Italian hood. I'd say the dangerous places downtown are around Monmouth, Coles, Erie, and Wayne. The problem is that Brunswick serves as the pathway between Newark Ave and the projects on the other side of Columbus Ave.

And if yer thinking of buying ... beware. The older row houses on Brunswick, like many in JC, were built on the cheap and atop swampland (infill). Basement flooding is frequent. Check out the foundations; some are settling. And the inground vibartions caused by the trucks and buses on Newark Ave. are weakening the buildings as well. Spend a few days in an apartment near Newark. You'll get the picture.

Good luck

Posted on: 2009/1/29 17:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
I live on Brunswick with my family.....It's fine. I love it, actually. It's a little noisy at street level when the bars close, but I dont' have a problem with that. Keep in mind that it is Jersey City, so you have to always watch your back; especially after dark. The side streets are very dark, indeed. And, the fact is that downtown is targeted for muggings, etc. But, I walk home every night at 9:00. No problems.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
OP go to real places in the area - talk to real people - go at all hours - it is a lot like the best areas of Brooklyn. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2009/1/29 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You and I both know you were talking about "Another Man's Treasure." Do you live there? That one on third and Newark is a dump. One tiny step up from a salvation army. In fact, OP, please go to the "vintage" shop he speaks of. Do you honestly think I don't know my own neighborhood?

OP- You can choose to listen to whoever you want, an actual resident of said neighborhood, or someone who doesn't live there. And for the record, I am a real person.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
3rd & Newark has a vintage/junk shop & on weekends a flea market. Check it out.

Quote:

elvis wrote:
You said two vintage stores, genius. The other is...?

Posted on: 2009/1/29 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You said two vintage stores, genius. The other is...?

Quote:
On Brunswick there are a bunch of Art Galleries and two vintage stores including the new Boomerang

Posted on: 2009/1/29 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Boomerang a new vintage shop just opened - so I guess elvis doesn't get out much.

To the OP - go into real places and talk to real people - see it at all hours.

Quote:

elvis wrote:
I would take his advice with a grain of salt. (the one vintage shop he speaks of moved about a year ago)

Posted on: 2009/1/29 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I assume I am the "troll" in question. In my defense, I can only say, having lived on that particular corner for 3 years now (and in JC for 11), I would NOT raise my family there. While it's true there are many of those stores that Grove mentioned, after dark the place becomes a different beast all together. Grove clearly doesn't live on this intersection, so I would take his advice with a grain of salt. (the one vintage shop he speaks of moved about a year ago)

Do a search for Abby's on here. Or for the Latin Lounge. See how happy the residents are to have those two bars so close. Not quiet at all.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
On Brunswick there are a bunch of Art Galleries and two vintage stores including the new Boomerang -- and beside Madame Claude's French Bistro there is Carmine Pizza where lots of cops hang out. Though I wouldn't go to the Bar on First street - The Lamp Post has live music and Abbey's Hookah Bar can be fun. If there is a sketchy area on Newark it is the 24hour Paradise deli where a homeless bum(s) hangs out and that is at Coles Street!

To the OP - the area you are asking about is very quiet - go at different hours and look around - go into the stores, restaurants and bars and talk to real people - not some of these trolls.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
2nd and brunswick is anything but quiet. While it suits my needs now, I would not raise my children there. Between one of the "local" bars (which brings in a seedy element from god knows where) and the proximity to other parts of JC that just haven't been renovated yet, I would say do not move your family there. It might look OK now, but it is particularly bad in the summer.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 14:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/13 23:15
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't say it's unsafe. Its' pretty quiet over there. There are 2 local bars which are both fine. I live on Brunswick and 5 and feel the sketchiest part of the walk is from Monmouth to Brunswick, but I've never had problems and I make that walk at all times of the day and night.

There are some neat new buildings, so I wish you luck. On the other side of newark on bunswick is a great french restaurant and a park a few blocks down.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2009/1/29 5:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/30 1:35
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ansky wrote:
I would tag that area as 'questionable'. I wouldn't walk around there alone at night.

I agree. The further you get from Grove Street along Newark Avenue, the more desolate and unsafe it feels, especially at night.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived there for three years. It is OK. My only issue is Brunswick during the day. I think the high school students use Brunswick to walk around during lunchtime.

Did you look at the new place they built or is it something else?

Posted on: 2009/1/29 2:40

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017