Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
80 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: New rules to address noise complaints for restaurants and nightclubs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Council pres. said they need to consult more w/ bar and restaurant owners.

That's what Council Pres. Vega does any time he doesn't want to take a stand on an issue.

More discussion, further study and "reaching out".

Politic-speak for "I'm not doing anything that may lose me votes".

He's a master at that.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
This is why Newark Avenue doesn't have nice things.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 17:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ErinMaiden wrote:
whatever became of this? this is a really important issue b/c i think its EXTREMELY unrealistic to limit clubs to these ridiculous standards.

The ordinance was on the council agenda last week and was tabled. Council pres. said they need to consult more w/ bar and restaurant owners.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
I'd really like to see the pros and cons for this. And i don't want to hear, neighbors deserve peace and quiet. This is a city, there will be bars/ clubs, they should have some rights as well.

Sounds like you're not up for discussing this.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 16:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/19 19:54
Group:
Registered Users
erin,

don't quote me on this, but there were several reliable sources that told me this won't be in effect. i've discussed it this past weekend. this shouldn't be a real issue.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
whatever became of this? this is a really important issue b/c i think its EXTREMELY unrealistic to limit clubs to these ridiculous standards.

everyone's spewing "art, art, art" well, music is art as well. And it seems like anyone that tries to bring original music to this town is facing an uphill battle if this is passed.

I was at automata chino this weekend and this was brought up. Apparently a bunch of business owners are trying to fight this. I was shocked to hear fullop is for it.

I'd really like to see the pros and cons for this. And i don't want to hear, neighbors deserve peace and quiet. This is a city, there will be bars/ clubs, they should have some rights as well.

It's taken so long to get places that local bands can play, and when you get something good going it seems like its only a matter of time before they get shut down.

i left the bar around 2 and there were no stabbings/fights, just a bunch of people having a good time.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
This ordinance is good in principle, but the noise levels don't seem realistic.

Regarding Nico's (now York St. Tavern), there was an issue with noise but the larger issue there was the gangs of people (mostly 20-something a-holes not from the area) that would make noise, p!ss in the street and curse like MFers at 2AM after the bar closed. Not sure if York St. Tavern has the same issues, but I do know their food sucks and by the looks of things it's still a dive, just a different name.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
New rules for clubs

Thursday, October 16, 2008
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The Jersey City City Council has introduced an ordinance creating an entertainment license that differentiates between restaurants and nightclubs and sets limits on how loud they can be.

The stated purpose of the ordinance, which was introduced and then tabled at the council's Sept. 24 meeting, is to help city officials clamp down on "occurrence detrimental to the public's safety," including "riots, disorderly groups, public consumption of alcohol and urination."

The new proposal limits restaurants to a decibel level of 55 decibels from noon to 10 p.m. and then 45 decibels from 10 p.m. until closing. Nightclubs would be restricted to 65 decibels from noon to 10 p.m. and 50 decibels from 10 p.m. to closing.

Sound measurements could be taken either inside or outside the establishment depending on the nature of the complaint, officials said. Special permits would still be granted for outdoor entertainment, city officials said.

The decibel levels could change before the ordinance is adopted, said Commerce Division Director Paul Barna.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 13:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/14 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
It's not like they enforce these laws anyway. Nothing changed at Sand Bar after the original law went into effect.

Posted on: 2008/10/8 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How many decibels are Frank the Pizza Guy's megaphones?

Posted on: 2008/10/8 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Metropolis wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
The new proposal limits restaurants to a decibel level of 55 decibels from noon to 10 p.m. and then 45 decibels from 10 p.m. until closing. Nightclubs would be restricted to 65 decibels from noon to 10 p.m. and 50 decibels from 10 p.m. to closing.

Sound measurements could be taken either inside or outside the establishment depending on the nature of the complaint, officials said.

I think this needs some clarification... 65 decibels is the equivalent of a normal conversation between 2 people. Clubs would be in violation of the ordinance if a waiter dropped a plate on the floor!

Mark.

+1 Mark!

I pointed this out in several emails I sent to Steve Fulop back in Dec \'07, when they had a working committee on this noise ordinance. Obviously, those who signed off on this ordinance did not consider it important what are widely published decibel scales as to conversation, acoustic music, etc, as the ordinance level quoted above is absurd for a guideline.

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

NOTES:

*One-third of the total power of a 75-piece orchestra comes from the bass drum.

*High frequency sounds of 2-4,000 Hz are the most damaging. The uppermost octave of the piccolo is 2,048-4,096 Hz.

*Aging causes gradual hearing loss, mostly in the high frequencies.

*Speech reception is not seriously impaired until there is about 30 dB loss; by that time severe damage may have occurred.

*Hypertension and various psychological difficulties can be related to noise exposure.

*The incidence of hearing loss in classical musicians has been estimated at 4-43%, in rock musicians 13-30%.

*Statistics for the Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart were taken from a study by Marshall Chasin , M.Sc., Aud(C), FAAA, Centre for Human Performance & Health, Ontario, Canada. There were some conflicting readings and, in many cases, authors did not specify at what distance the readings were taken or what the musician was actually playing. In general, when there were several readings, the higher one was chosen

Posted on: 2008/10/8 21:42
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
For the oldies of JCList..we once had that thread regarding Nicco's on Washington. I'm not sure if this is one of the threads that was cleaned up when the webmaster had to dump old threads to make space. The drama that happened over the noise coming from Nicco's was severe. Some folks who post here and were involved in this may want to chime in....

There is also this thread (click)

Posted on: 2008/10/8 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
For the oldies of JCList..we had that thread regarding Nico's. I'm not sure if this is one of the threads that was cleaned up when the webmaster had to dump old threads to make space, but the drama that happened over the noise coming from Nico's was severe. Some folks who post that were involved in this may want to chime in....

Posted on: 2008/10/8 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Another example of our fine city's priorities. They probably sat around for 3 weeks discussing this one. Your tax dollars at work.

Posted on: 2008/10/8 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
What I'd love to know is how bad a bar has to be for it's license to be turned down for renewal. Is there any level of litter, noise and 3am streetfights that will do this, or "once you're in, you're in"?

Posted on: 2008/10/8 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I hate when music is too loud or if the volume is on with any TV show... I think pub culture is meant for talking...

Anyway here is a chart of noise Db.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/10/8 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
This whole ordinance is a bit silly.

Posted on: 2008/10/8 19:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jillianp wrote:
seriously...can you buy a decibel measurer?

That's a pretty fancy one... the most common is one from good old Radio Shack.. I've had mine for years. $50.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/ind ... decibel&parentPage=search

Mark.

Posted on: 2008/10/8 19:36
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder, does this apply to a straight up bar? Or do they have to fall into the "Nightclub" or "restaurant" category?

Posted on: 2008/10/8 18:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Sound measurements could be taken either inside or outside the establishment depending on the nature of the complaint, officials said.

I think this needs some clarification... 65 decibels is the equivalent of a normal conversation between 2 people. Clubs would be in violation of the ordinance if a waiter dropped a plate on the floor!

Mark.

Posted on: 2008/10/8 17:03
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

New rules to address noise complaints for restaurants and nightclubs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Move on new rules for clubs, eateries

Tuesday, October 07, 2008
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The Jersey City City Council has introduced an ordinance creating an entertainment license that differentiates between restaurants and nightclubs and sets limits on how loud they can be.

The stated purpose of the ordinance, which was introduced and then tabled at the council's Sept. 24 meeting, is to help city officials clamp down on "occurrence detrimental to the public's safety," including "riots, disorderly groups, public consumption of alcohol and urination."

The ordinance was tabled to give city officials time to notify the roughly 30 business owners with entertainment licenses about the proposed changes, officials said.

Last year, the city passed an ordinance to stop outdoor entertainment at 11 p.m. Sundays through Thursdays and at midnight on Fridays and Saturdays, primarily to address complaints about the SandBar Cafe on Marin Boulevard.

Sound measurements could be taken either inside or outside the establishment depending on the nature of the complaint, officials said. Special permits would still be granted for outdoor entertainment, city officials said.

The decibel levels could change before the ordinance is adopted, said Commerce Division Director Paul Barna.

Posted on: 2008/10/8 12:55

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017