Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: 2 Accidents on Erie and 1st in ONE WEEK
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
How long before somebody dies? Is that what it's going to take to get a 4-way stop sign here?

You don't need a 4-way stop. Those are both one-way streets, so you only need a "two-way" stop. For that, you only need to add one sign.

For $40 bucks and a steel channel stanchion from Home Depot, this problem can be taken care of:

traffic signs...

I'm totally serious about this. On the one hand, someone blowing through the stop could not legally get a ticket because the sign would not be "official". On the other hand, 99% of the drivers would stop. Additionally, the way JC is governed, it would be years before anyone from the city noticed, plus you get your stop sign asap, not after a 6 month "traffic engineering study" and budget appropriation.

Posted on: 2010/9/12 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Comey should be listening. My dogwalker's car was T-Boned last week and totalled by a guy driving with a suspended license. I would like to see more and more speed traps and enforcement of the Stop-Sign law. Get the cops out in force making our streets safe, pulling in outstanding warrants and filtering out the criminal element who use our streets as a super-highway. The person you saw get hit should document the illegally parked cars license plates and include them in any litigation.

Comey and his cronies gather like basking seals in front of police headquarters on Erie, watching people speed past, while others run the stop sign mere yards away on Bay Street. He doesn't even reach for his pen. And the majority of illegally-parked cars on that corner belong to police officials, despite the fact that they have their own parking lot right behind the building.

Posted on: 2010/9/12 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Comey should be listening. My dogwalker's car was T-Boned last week and totalled by a guy driving with a suspended license. I would like to see more and more speed traps and enforcement of the Stop-Sign law. Get the cops out in force making our streets safe, pulling in outstanding warrants and filtering out the criminal element who use our streets as a super-highway. The person you saw get hit should document the illegally parked cars license plates and include them in any litigation.

Posted on: 2010/9/12 19:50

2 Accidents on Erie and 1st in ONE WEEK
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
This is getting ridiculous. I just witnessed a hit and run in front of Toricos. Guy in a green 4-door ran the stop sign, hit a car on Erie, broadsided a parked car, then calmly turned around and drove away. Half a dozen people saw him and took down his license plate number. Genius.

On Monday, a cab driver was inching past the stop sign (unable to see past the 2 illegally parked cars on the corner), when he was hit by someone speeding up Erie. After the speeding driver hit the cab so hard that his own car spun around, he then gunned his engine, raced the wrong way down Erie and deliberately hit the cab again, broadside. Numerous witnesses reported this to the cop who responded, but the driver told him "I just lost control of my car," and was allowed to leave.

This busy corner has an ice cream store, a pre-school and 2 nearby churches. How long before somebody dies? Is that what it's going to take to get a 4-way stop sign here?

Fulop, are you listening?!

Posted on: 2010/9/12 19:27

Re: Stop Signs on Erie Street - Steven FUlop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
ianmac47 wrote: Quote:
Vigilante wrote: From Steve Fulop's email today: Traffic Lights: 2nd & Marin? The current administration has deemed this intersection not in need of a traffic light. .
WTF.

View Larger Map

Posted on: 2010/2/23 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
From Steve Fulop's email today:

Traffic Lights:
2nd & Marin? The current administration has deemed this intersection not in need of a traffic light.

WTF.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
10th & Erie ? Many people have suggested that this blinking light be changed to a fully functional light due a high number of accidents at this intersection. However, working with the Traffic division, our office has determined that a fully functional light would require a complete overhaul of the existing intersection and is not necessary. The East Police District has stepped up enforcement in this area.

That blinking yellow light is the funniest thing. What is its purpose?

If they won't make it a regular light, then pull that thing down, and put up stop signs on Erie. I'm waiting for the day a car mows down people when they are sitting outside at the Embankment.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
From Steve Fulop's email today:

Traffic Lights:
2nd & Marin? The current administration has deemed this intersection not in need of a traffic light.

9th & Marin ? The intersection is currently under design and should be ready for construction in late spring or early summer.

10th & Erie ? Many people have suggested that this blinking light be changed to a fully functional light due a high number of accidents at this intersection. However, working with the Traffic division, our office has determined that a fully functional light would require a complete overhaul of the existing intersection and is not necessary. The East Police District has stepped up enforcement in this area.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 15:23

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/11 7:11
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Whatever the reason, it's good they are doing it. I've almost been pummeled at the corner of 8th and Erie, while crossing the street in front of Basic, on the way to the PATH. Commuters are in such a rush to get to the tunnel, they bypass that stop sign constantly.

Posted on: 2010/1/26 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I have noticed that the JCPD is making a lot of traffic stops downtown lately. I saw one officer set up at an intersection and pulling people over for running the STOP signs. Kudos JCPD.

Sure, but I bet its a revenue issue rather than a safety issue. Once they meet their quota for the month they will disappear again.

Posted on: 2010/1/26 16:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/4 18:24
Group:
Registered Users
This is number one on my quality of life issues. Everyone on list has their justifiable fights, but this is the one that will end in serious injury or loss of life. Since drivers often disregard stop signs and just about always ignore marked pedestrian crosswalks, the issue exists at every intersection, but the one at Monmouth and Pavonia is out of control. NY bound drivers bail out on the Grand St. exit and head for the tunnel via the streets of downtown and Monmouth is the easiest route.

I personally think we have a good councilman downtown and he has been responsive to anything I've discussed with him, but this issue is ignored year after year. When the Jersey Journal headlines are about the person who never saw it coming from a car doing 50 on Monmouth, then we'll hear from out reps. Until then, it might be time for "Shame on You" again.

Posted on: 2010/1/26 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I have noticed that the JCPD is making a lot of traffic stops downtown lately. I saw one officer set up at an intersection and pulling people over for running the STOP signs. Kudos JCPD.

Posted on: 2010/1/26 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
another run stop sign, another crash at 1st and Erie.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I must have been hallucinating, but I believe I saw somebody get ticketed for running a stop sign tonight. AND the cops weren't dicks about it, but instead were very professional.

Posted on: 2009/11/27 5:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
From Steve Fulop's quarterly update letter:

Erie Street & Jersey Ave [Pedestrian and passenger safety]

While enforcement is a major component of both pedestrian and passenger safety, the Ward E Council office working with the Department of Public Works (DPW), came up with an added solution. The sight line at each intersection along both Erie Street and Jersey Ave., north of Newark Avenue, will be cleared to the 25 feet mandated by law.

I understand crossing these streets either on foot or by vehicle is very dangerous. I am still fighting for enforcement and traffic calming measures; for the meantime, I have had designated curbs along these two corridors painted bright red.

This is to serve as an additional safety measure for cars crossing or turning on to these busy roads, as well as a means to improve safety for pedestrians. At every one-way intersection, we have had the twenty five feet of curb that is directly in the sight line painted bright red (and for a two-way street like Jersey Ave., this means 2 curbs have been painted) to discourage cars from parking there while also making it easily identifiable to the enforcement division of the Jersey City Parking Authority.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 13:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/9 15:42
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
As a resident of the HP area for 7 years (not a newbie, yet not a long timer), I believe the speed limit on Eire should be reduced to 15 mph.

I've lived here, for 7 years and had a car the whole time, I still slow down (not stop) and look both ways at each intersection to be aware of oncoming cars/walkers & dogs attempting to cross at each intersection.

The legal limit is 25, yet even as an established resident aware of crossing/ intersection areas, I cannot bring myself to speed up to 25 on Eire. It just doesn't seem safe, and I know where to look for pedestrians.

I personally do not believe 25 is an appropriate speed for this area.

I grew up in NJ, Have been driving in NJ for 17 yrs, and I believe 25 is too fast for Eire. What about the people who aren't from around here and do not take the precauctions I do?

Reduce the speed limit to 15mph, less accidents and collect a ton of money of tickets.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

what's it going to take to make them stop?

An expensive lawsuit.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
The only way to solve JC's traffic problem is to make it impossible to cut through the residential areas. Make all the routes through downtown into loops and we'll lose 90% of the crazy traffic heading to the tunnel and the waterfront.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 0:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
another asshat just blew through the stop sign at 1st and Erie, broadsiding a car. no major injuries, but the driver who got her door smashed in is really shaken-up.

this is an active corner, with Toricos and the deli and LOTS of kids and commuters walking around - not to mention police headquarters RIGHT THERE - and yet people blow through that stop sign repeatedly.

what's it going to take to make them stop?

Posted on: 2009/10/29 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/10/13 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.ss ... ian_deaths_spike_aft.html
N.J. pedestrian deaths jump after years of decline
By Erin Eileen O'Neill/For The Star-Ledger October 13, 2009, 5:05AM

Pedestrian deaths this year have jumped 34 percent statewide, the highest number of such fatalities in New Jersey since the turn of the century, state accident data shows.

Through the end of September, 122 pedestrians were killed in motor vehicle related incidents, according to statistics from the state police?s fatal accident investigation unit. During the first nine months of last year, there were 91 pedestrian fatalities.

nj-pedestrian-deaths.JPGA pedestrian walks across the road at the intersection Mount Pleasant Avenue and Mount Pleasant Parkway in Livingston on Friday. Pedestrian deaths in New Jersey have increased this year after years of declining numbers.

This comes in spite of a nearly $74 million pedestrian safety initiative Gov. Jon Corzine announced about six months after he took office in 2006. The governor said the five-year program would focus on enforcement, education and engineering by cracking down on motorists and pedestrian violations.

Pedestrian deaths in New Jersey declined from 166 that year to 138 last year.

"Since 2006, we?ve been seeing the pedestrian numbers starting to come down. This year we have this spike," said Pam Fischer, director of the state Division of Highway Traffic Safety. "We?re hoping this is an anomaly."

In just the past two weeks, at least five people were killed by motor vehicles. Four of the accidents occurred in suburban parts of the state.

pedfate.jpgView full sizeChildren, senior citizens and non-English speaking people walking in urban areas are generally considered to be the most at-risk groups of pedestrians, Fischer said. But state data shows that since 2003, middle-age pedestrians have consistently been the largest age group for pedestrian fatalities.

"They?re physically active," Fischer said. "They?re able to get around. They?re not the vulnerable group you think about."

Pedestrian advocates say New Jersey?s nearly fully-developed road system ? much of which isn?t pedestrian friendly ? can make walking precarious all over the state.

"Everyone walks, at some point. At some point, you have to get out of your car and get to where you?re going. But, in the past, highways and developments have been built in a way, it seemed, as if it was assumed as if people wouldn?t walk at all," said Peter Bilton, a project manager with the New Jersey Pedestrian and Bicycle Resource Center, based at Rutgers University?s Edward J. Bloustein School of Public and Planning Policy.

Now, suburban residents are rallying for safer community streets.

At a recent council meeting in Summit, neighbors demanded more be done to improve the crossroad where Carlyse Kennedy, 55, was struck by a limousine service driver near Mountain Avenue and Devon Road on September 28. She died at the hospital the next day.

Patrick Hurley, who was acting as a representative for a group of neighbors, called for caution signs, reduced speed limits and more enforcement.

"The fact is the intersection is dangerous, and it?s deadly," Hurley said of the the intersection, where five roads meet. "It was not a question if a fatal accident would happen at that intersection. It was a question of when. And that question was answered ... when a resident of Summit was struck and killed by a car."

To address the large number of fatalities, the state has funded local initiatives, including decoy programs in towns like Montclair and Denville, where officers pose as pedestrians in crosswalks and ticket drivers who fail to yield.

The state Department of Transportation has also completed 60 pedestrian safety projects, including new sidewalks, revamped crosswalks and new pedestrian crossing signs and countdown signals, throughout the state since 2007, state officials said.

State officials say such programs have had a positive effect. But the responsibility for preventing further pedestrian fatalities ultimately rests on people on the road.

"We really need to focus on getting both pedestrians and motorists to really think about what they are doing out there," Fischer said. "We are all in a big hurry to get somewhere."

Related coverage

? Pedestrian decoy program begins in southern N.J. communities

? N.J. officials review sharp increase in '09 pedestrian deaths

? Transportation Department awards $5.4M throughout state for pedestrian safety projects

? N.J. sees increase in pedestrian deaths in early '09

? 2009 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

Posted on: 2009/10/13 12:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This has been an issue since 2006!
Let's get some action.
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=139643#forumpost139643

Posted on: 2009/10/12 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
Yes that was quite a smash last night - really sickening sound. One of the cars must have been going fast - the impact was incredible. My heart went through my chest as I heard it last night - just after the 11pm news started. I hope no one was critical from it - although they sure could be from the sound and the damage. A full light needs to be placed here at 10th & Erie - it is crazy that there is only a blinking light. What is the town waiting for - someone to die??

Posted on: 2009/10/12 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Saw the kitty litter still in the street this morning from the clean up. must have been quite impact. I agree that 10th and Erie is very dangerous. I have almost gotten hit a few times. It's usually a case of I cant see over all the giant SUV's with tinted windows, and I have to hope there isn't someone coming at close to 40+ mph.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
+1
All they have to do is change the blinking traffic light to a full service traffic light.
Quote:

oJcanuC wrote:
Another serious accident on intersection of 10th and Erie tonight. Ambulance, police and flatbed tow trucks. There needs to be a full traffic light here!!! Fulop....are you reading??!!! This is one dangerous intersection.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 12:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/14 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
Another serious accident on intersection of 10th and Erie tonight. Ambulance, police and flatbed tow trucks. There needs to be a full traffic light here!!! Fulop....are you reading??!!! This is one dangerous intersection.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 4:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
there is a police car - with cop - idled at the corner of 1st and Erie. somebody just blew threw the 1st street stop sign, within feet of the cruiser's bumper, and kept on going. the police officer stayed put. number on the cruiser is 2973.

Cue the classic city worker shoulder shrug. "What am I gonna do"?

Posted on: 2009/9/24 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
there is a police car - with cop - idled at the corner of 1st and Erie. somebody just blew threw the 1st street stop sign, within feet of the cruiser's bumper, and kept on going. the police officer stayed put. number on the cruiser is 2973.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 13:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Bogart,
I agree with you on that. Most of the drivers going down Erie or Jersey (and I assume most other roads) go way too fast, and don't seem to give a crap about anyone else.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jolly13 wrote:
Wait, JAC admits he was going the wrong way and Bogart uses this as a way to attack JC drivers? I was just wondering if JAC, after admitting he could have gotten a ticket, agreed to pay for any damage to the car.

I am a JC driver, a JC bicyclist and a JC pedestrian so I approach the subject with a pretty fair mind . I have previously expressed my opinion of riding a bicycle the wrong way. However, there is no question that the city is filled with drivers who do not recognize anyone's right of way except their own and who treat an intersection as an opportunity to assert their sense of self-entitlement. I have never lived anywhere where traffic laws are more routinely flouted.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 17:46
I live by the river.

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017