Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: In a 7 a.m. post yesterday on a popular local Web site, the owner of the grenades tried to expla
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
"I was surprised to hear about it," said Angel Dumancela, a neighbor who was evacuated for about two hours. "I don't know him personally, but as a neighbor he always seemed quiet and nice."

"Who could imagine we were harboring such a dangerous madman in our neighborhood," Angel went on to say. "It took over thirty cops and bomb squad members several hours to subdue him and restore the public safety. It's always the quiet ones."

Posted on: 2007/10/26 11:55

In a 7 a.m. post yesterday on a popular local Web site, the owner of the grenades tried to explain.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
IT'S A . . . DUD!
Pre-dawn bomb raid much ado about gre-'nada'

Friday, October 26, 2007
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Responding to reports from paramedics that a Jersey City man had grenades in his house, the Jersey City Bomb Squad detained the homeowner and evacuated neighboring buildings as a precaution early yesterday morning.

But as the homeowner - identified by police as Jason Slack - maintained all along, the grenades were non-operational and were used as paperweights.

With the street cordoned off, the Bomb Squad unit established the grenades were not a threat. But according to a message posted on a popular local Web site by someone who identifies himself as the owner of the grenades, the entire episode could have been avoided if the paramedics had believed him that the grenades were duds.

In a 7 a.m. post yesterday, the writer explained he is a recent arrival from the United Kingdom who's picked up the habit of "combing the streets" for "the odd and unusual detritus of people's lives."

He recently "picked up a couple of hand grenades some guy had been using as paper weights. Two dollars apiece," he explained.

According to the writer, he called paramedics to his house because he woke up before dawn with a "crazy tingling sensation pulsating through my limbs." The paramedics identified what he was experiencing as a panic attack. He refused further medical attention and bid them good-bye, he writes.

But 10 minutes later he heard "motors outside" and saw "lights flashing." Assuming another ambulance had mistakenly been sent to his house, he went outside to shoo them away.

But the next thing he knew he was being frisked and handcuffed, and a cop was asking him about "trip wires," he writes. His cell phone was yanked from his hand in case it was rigged as a detonator, he states on the post.

He was then taken to the Jersey City Medical Center, handcuffed to a bed and told he was about to get a "psychiatric examination," he writes. He was finally released around 5:30 a.m., he writes.

Slack didn't return written and phone messages left for him yesterday.

"I was surprised to hear about it," said Angel Dumancela, a neighbor who was evacuated for about two hours. "I don't know him personally, but as a neighbor he always seemed quiet and nice."

Representatives of the first responders said they followed protocol.

"We have been through a lot in this country in terms of homeland security and the EMTs are instructed that when they see a possible threat they need to report it to the police, and that's exactly what they did," said John McKeegan, a spokesman for the Jersey City Medical Center.

Better safe than sorry, added city spokesman Stan H. Eason.

"God forbid they (the police and paramedics) pooh-poohed it and . those grenades blew up a family member's house. There would be lots of people who would have to answer some tough questions and have lives and properties on their conscience."

===================================
(on a personal note)

To Slacky/Jason, I just want to say -- you seem like a very nice & funny guy -- please don't take this event too seriously -- at least nothing too bad happened and it seems that you have endeared yourself to your neighbors -- best of luck to you!

-- Grovepath

Posted on: 2007/10/26 8:41

Re: Bomb Scare on 5th street.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jclxz wrote:

The lesson I take from this is that I should not call 911 for any reason if I think I might have something in my apartment that could potentially be interpreted as dangerous.

Everyone has a lot of dangerous stuff in their home, of course. At least kitchen knives. An electric drill is a pretty scary thing, too.

Just a thought, but if you have trouble discerning the potential difference between a kitchen knife and unexploded ordinance then you probably don't have the ability to rate the qualifications of civil servants.

Quote:

There should be enough police familiar with grenades to realize what a grenade looks like, and when it is likely to explode and when not.

The most qualified experts on the planet can't, at a glance, tell the difference between a Samsonite filled with my tidy whities and a suitcase bomb. Why would you expect a police officer to instantly know a formerly lethal grenade is now harmless?

Quote:

But we have not a real grenade, but an obviously disarmed grenade, with a hole through it.

So obvious to an expert like you, huzzah.

Quote:

I should not call 911 if I have something that "could have had a device hidden in it"!

Plenty enough empty space between your ears to secret a device the size of a coffee mug, but what a waste of java!

[/quote]

Posted on: 2007/10/26 4:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/24 1:03
Group:
Registered Users
everyone knows those things are filled with urine and hazmat would be there as well. I raise doubt about the credibility of this post.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I just walked past Pavonia and Coles St. and counted 37 Police Cars, 14 Fire Engines and 3 Swat Teams. There is an 11 year old kid holed up in a brownstone with a loaded SuperSoaker. May God help us all.

Posted on: 2007/10/26 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I just walked past Pavonia and Coles St. and counted 37 Police Cars, 14 Fire Engines and 3 Swat Teams. There is an 11 year old kid holed up in a brownstone with a loaded SuperSoaker. May God help us all.

Posted on: 2007/10/26 3:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
the funny thing is that the original poster was having panic attacks because of the tons of tnt he has in a uhaul rental truck parked in front of his house. not the grenades. good job EMT

Posted on: 2007/10/26 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I'm as big a critic of the JC police as the next guy, but come on....Hand Grenades!

If the OP had logged on and said, "can you believe I had a house full of EMT guys, and not one of them said anything about the hand grenades lying there in plain view?!" this list would've gone ballistic.

They definitely went overboard with the response (what's next, tanks and choppers?) but again, they found HAND GRENADES.

sheesh.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

disp8218 wrote:
As a civil servant in the Emergency Services profession, I would commend the EMT/Paramedic for his/her actions.
[...]

Someone else mentioned it earlier.. Do you know for sure that the device was not active? It could have had a device hidden inside it.

The lesson I take from this is that I should not call 911 for any reason if I think I might have something in my apartment that could potentially be interpreted as dangerous.

Everyone has a lot of dangerous stuff in their home, of course. At least kitchen knives. An electric drill is a pretty scary thing, too.

So what level of danger are we talking about here? Common weapons that no one is being threatened with.

There should be enough police familiar with grenades to realize what a grenade looks like, and when it is likely to explode and when not.

If this was a real grenade, I would still be shocked that this happened.

But we have not a real grenade, but an obviously disarmed grenade, with a hole through it.

You have now raised the stakes, and it's you I am most afraid of as a "civil servant in the emergency services profession".

I should not call 911 if I have something that "could have had a device hidden in it"!

Anything can have something else hidden inside of it, of course. Usually there is some threshold of what could be hidden inside of something, or how easy it would be to hide a dangerous object inside of something else. So how big and how easy to hide?

Well, possible to hide in a GRENADE according to you!

I certainly will keep this in mind if I ever become aware of an apparent life-and-death emergency.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 23:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
Hmmm, panicked guy says the grenades on his table don't work. He's sweaty and nervous. Obviously, something serious is on his mind.
Says it's defused. What does a defused grenade look like? I don't know. I'm a freakin' EMT.
But he's not Muslim. So, at least I don't have to worry about getting sued by the ACLU or their lackeys for doing the safe thing and calling the cops.

-Good call, EMT.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 21:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/6/9 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
this just in, the jc police are a bunch of morons who treat innocent people unfairly.

in other news, water is discovered to be wet and the sky blue. film at eleven.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 20:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/21 0:41
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm looking forward to when the thought police roll into town.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 20:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/28 21:50
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
C'mon Sallygirl. When r u and your roomate gonna realize that the cove is not safe. Its about time y'all make the move to HamPak!!!

Posted on: 2007/10/25 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Don't expect many people to get this

Posted on: 2007/10/25 19:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/28 18:35
Group:
Registered Users
Parameds did the right thing. Maybe if the Blind Cleric had a panic attack at his Journal Square mosque, his paramedic might have asked about his cache of weapons...and maybe, just maybe the 6 people who died in 93 WTC bombing might still be alive today....see I didn't say 9-11

Posted on: 2007/10/25 19:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

missa wrote:

i truly hope that you are able to be recompensed for you time and suffering, and the very idea that a first responder would treat an anxiety sufferer with compounding his panic is horrible, and i hope that he loses his job, which probably consists of hanging out in the dunkin donuts most of the day.

Did you ever think that slacky's mental state coupled with his proximity to his grenade collection had something to do with worrying the EMT attendant?

Oh wait, you're right, slacky said they were duds! No one ever lies about such things, especially when they're trembling and sweating bullets!

Posted on: 2007/10/25 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I'm actually a bit surprised at how many people are expressing opinions that one side or the other was completely "right" or "wrong." I think some level of intervention by the police was needed - I don't know if I was the EMS I'd want the responsibility to make the call on whether a grenade is active or not. So I don't fault him for calling the police. Nor do I fault the police for arriving, clearly they needed to exhibit due diligence and look into the issue.

However, living directly across the street, the no-fewer-than-12 police and fire dept vehicles was absolutely excessive (possibly more down by Erie). Even if WORST case, the grenade was live AND did go off, was there a need for a 1:2 ratio (approx?) of police to residents. And honestly, all I noticed was most of the cops and fire-people (to be PC) shooting the s&*t and not actively doing anything. As soon as the situation was under control (and I can't believe that took 2 full hours), they should have moved on to the other events that were undoubtedly brewing across JC.

Yes, Slacky probably should have put the grenades away, but when having a panic attack, you're not thinking clearly. And likely his state of mind caused authorities to become even more suspicious and it became a cycle that didn't end: their suspicions of him and the grenade was "validated" if he was stressed and that in turn probably stressed him more....

I think - to add to the other thread's advice about safety (regarding the mugging) - I'll start wearing inactive grenades as a necklace, both to ward off mugging and finally attract police presence.

On a related-though-somewhat-of-a-shift-in topic, the book Blink by Malcolm Gladwell discusses these issues of snap judgements and how and why we make them and I highly recommend it.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
the fact that people are complaining about the cops/EMT on this is blowing my mind...

how many times, watching "COPS" on tv, to they ask a suspect "do you have weapons, drugs, etc" and the person says "no/nothing/i'm a nice guy just trying to help" and then they search and find guns/drugs/other weapons.

and how do you expect an EMT to know any visual identification of any weapon system.

if the EMT hadnt done anything, and they had been real, and they had been used or accidentally gone off - everyone here would be complaining about JCPD not doing anything when they were in the house....

they did the right thing.

While I'm surprised that the EMT and PD has a hard time recognizing decomissioned grenades (I'm not a professional and yet I know what they look like), calling the bomb squad and evacuating the neighborhood isn't what bothers me.

What bothers me is that this guy was taken away in handcuffs to the hospital, and handcuffed to the bed. I know that this is SOP for those under arrest. Was he under arrest? Just what was his status?

If they felt that he was a danger to himself or to others (I believe that's the standard used for detaining psych patients against their will) on what grounds were they making that judgment? And if he was a psych patient taken against his will, why the handcuffs? Is that standard?

This story could have had a MUCH WORSE ending. It's not clear to me that this guy did anything wrong, and yet he was detained.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 18:45
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
there is no law against having a paper weight in your home. again.. the guy must be muslim to raise to much suspicion.

not that they do racial profiling

Posted on: 2007/10/25 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/10/25 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
the fact that people are complaining about the cops/EMT on this is blowing my mind...

how many times, watching "COPS" on tv, to they ask a suspect "do you have weapons, drugs, etc" and the person says "no/nothing/i'm a nice guy just trying to help" and then they search and find guns/drugs/other weapons.

and how do you expect an EMT to know any visual identification of any weapon system.

if the EMT hadnt done anything, and they had been real, and they had been used or accidentally gone off - everyone here would be complaining about JCPD not doing anything when they were in the house....

they did the right thing.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 18:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
I don't want to sound like the EMS guy did the "wrong" thing. I mean, afterall, the guy did have grenades lying around his house.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 18:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/27 17:10
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I think the EMT did the right thing. I would rather go through the hassel of being evacuated than dead. If some crazy person did have a bomb and blew up the block everyone would be bitching that the EMT should have said something. Unfortunately this is the world we live in and everyone is under suspicion.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 18:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
I love that picture!!!

The holes in deactivated grenades are not huge, nor are they a pin hole. There is an explosive cylander that goes into a grenade. If that is taken out, the grenade can't be detonated and is harmless(unless, of course, you bash an idiot on the head with it, but I digress).

If the EMS guy was so concerned he should have asked to see it. One quick glance at the grenade would have shown that it was of no danger. There was complete over reaction on the part of the PD.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 18:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/4 14:07
Group:
Banned
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child:
but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/10/25 17:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

missa wrote:
slacky, its sucks that you had to go thru all of that.

unfortunately, welcome to the us. some of us just aren't very bright, and fear and hate anything that is different than what they are used to seeing.

i truly hope that you are able to be recompensed for you time and suffering, and the very idea that a first responder would treat an anxiety sufferer with compounding his panic is horrible, and i hope that he loses his job, which probably consists of hanging out in the dunkin donuts most of the day.

add this to the neverending list of the incompetance of the JCPD.

There are 2 sides to every story, and in this case 3 sides. I would love to hear the police officer's version, as well as the EMS version, I am sure that you will find that Slacky's behavior or actions were less than perfect. We should not just take the word of 1 person and convict everyone else, there may be some information missing here. I am sure that JCPD followed the correct protocol for this type of situation.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

missa wrote:

besides the fact that there was a huge hole going thru the grenade.
brush up on your reading comprehension. he said that in the first paragraph of his story.

nah. that couldn't have been the tip off.

not for the rocket scientists our taxes support.
no way.

Where did you read huge hole in the article - it could have been a pin hole that was covered up.

Talk about reading comprehension missa!

Posted on: 2007/10/25 17:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
what are you muslim?

Posted on: 2007/10/25 17:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/1 22:18
Group:
Registered Users
I sympathize. The cops should be able to investigate an incident like this without subjecting the OP to that kind of demeaning treatment. As many have noted, there is plenty of real crime on the streets, but cops like to make a big song and dance when there might be a chance of putting the hurt on a 'terrorist' without any consideration for the (likely) chance that a far more innocent/pedestrian explanation exists.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 17:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/29 10:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
OK, here it is:

1010 WINS
Posted: Thursday, 25 October 2007 8:46AM

It turns out that the grenades were just paperweights that the man bought at a yard sale.

'YARD SALE'!!!

How reassuring is that - no guarantee of it being an inactive grenade.

10/10 to the cops and ems dudes - and thats a lot coming from me.

besides the fact that there was a huge hole going thru the grenade.
brush up on your reading comprehension. he said that in the first paragraph of his story.

nah. that couldn't have been the tip off.

not for the rocket scientists our taxes support.
no way.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 17:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/29 10:29
Group:
Banned
slacky, its sucks that you had to go thru all of that.

unfortunately, welcome to the us. some of us just aren't very bright, and fear and hate anything that is different than what they are used to seeing.

add this to the neverending list of the incompetance of the JCPD.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 17:01

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017