Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: JCPD BLACK & BLUEHe called cops - they beat, cuffed him

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/5 19:21
Group:
Registered Users
Excerpt--
Bolton said he heard a noise on his roof and when he looked out a skylight saw two men trying to break in, so he called police and was told a car would be sent. After hanging up he ran downstairs to open the front door because there is no bell, Bolton said.

"I opened the door and midway up the steps were two thug-looking guys in jeans and T-shirts, and they looked pretty tough," said Bolton.

In fact, they were plainclothes Police Officers Victor Vargas and Kevin Hill.

Bolton said the two didn't identify themselves or display badges - a point the officers disputed in the police report of the incident.

"These guys rushed me and I heard sirens in the distance and my first thought was, these guys might be connected to the burglars," Bolton said

How did the 2 guys go from trying to break in on the roof to coming up the stairs so quick...??? Did they jump off and renter the building Something wrong here....If he heard the sirens do u think they did too.. so what were they thinking lets just stick around to beat on him a while so the real police can catch us..He couldn't tell the difference from thugs and police just by the way they questioned him ..?? Come on...there's more than that here looks like somebody wants an early retirement..$$$$..

Posted on: 2008/9/5 19:31

Re: SUIT: COP 'SHOT UP' BEFORE ATTACKING - Claims 'roids fueled beating on wrong man
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
steroids...if these guys go to a gym or its part of the culture with the cops, then yes they would be guilty.

it makes no sense to call the cops then struggle with them if they didn't identify themselves unless the caller has a history of doing so or might be the nutter which I don't believe is the case...................sue the cops and department to generate change !

Posted on: 2008/9/4 13:09
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

SUIT: COP 'SHOT UP' BEFORE ATTACKING - Claims 'roids fueled beating on wrong man
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
SUIT: COP 'SHOT UP' BEFORE ATTACKING
Claims 'roids fueled beating on wrong man

Thursday, September 04, 2008
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Jersey City man injured by police officers responding to his call for help during a burglary filed a civil suit in federal court, alleging that steroids fueled the attack by one of the cops.

The suit filed last week by Mathias Bolton, 34, of Palisade Avenue, accused officers Victor Vargas and Kevin Hill of assault and battery, false arrest, and civil rights violations during the Aug. 20, 2007 incident.

The suit, which also names the city and police department, does not specify how much money Bolton is seeking.

The lawsuit claimes Vargas was a target of a Jersey City Police Department investigation into steroid use by cops and "was using a steroid, testosterone or other prescription substance when he assaulted Mr. Bolton which was a proximate cause of his attacking and beating Mr. Bolton."

John Young, Vargas' attorney, said Tuesday his client "categorically denies using steroids at any time including prior to or at the time of this incident." Citing ongoing litigation, city and police officials declined to comment.

The drama began when Bolton spotted burglars on his roof and called police for help. When Bolton heard a knock on his door, he assumed help had arrived, the complaint said. But when he opened the door, "two men in civilian clothes rushed in and grabbed him and demanded to know whether he called the police," the lawsuit stated.

Bolton thought he was confronting the burglars, the complaint said. Vargas and Hill, meanwhile, apparently thought they had caught a burglar, court documents said.

Bolton didn't answer any questions posed to him by the two men, then Vargas and Hill "proceeded to punch and kick him," the suit states.

Bolton could hear the sirens of other responding officers as "Vargas and/or Hill then threw him down the exterior stairs," and dragged him along the pavement, according to the lawsuit.

As other officers arrived, Bolton called out for help, but one of the cops "proceeded to strike Mr. Bolton with his nightstick as he lay on the ground," the lawsuit states.

Then, one cop took off Bolton's shoe and "twisted his ankle telling him 'It will never be the same again,'" and Vargas, Hill and another officer "repeatedly assaulted Mr. Bolton with their fists and/or weaponry," the suit states.

"Why are you arresting me? Why aren't you arresting them?" Bolton cried out, referring to Vargas and Hill, the complaint stated. That's when either Vargas or Hill identified himself as a cop for the first time, according to court documents.

The suit alleges the cops "created false police reports and records indicating that Mr. Bolton had committed a crime" and made a "horrible situation much worse by charging Mr. Bolton with two counts of aggravated assault on a police officer and one count of resisting arrest."

Days after the incident, the charges were downgraded to misdemeanors, which will be adjudicated in a municipal court outside of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2008/9/4 6:51

Re: JCPD BLACK & BLUE
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soshin wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:

Maybe they were called into court during an undercover operation.

That would explain why they printed their photographs in the newspaper.

It would in and with the City of Jersey City

Posted on: 2008/8/4 12:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 15:05
From John Wilkes Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

That would explain why they printed their photographs in the newspaper.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
If I had to weigh up guilt on appearance, then the dumb-ass looking cops take the prize.

Good thing our system doesn't work that way.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
Why do these guys look so much alike? And why are they dressed so formally? You will notice everyone else in the background is dressed rather casually. I suspect they are not from around here. I suspect they are from a place far far away.

"what mode of attire is customarily worn by the earthlings in their primitave courts of law Zork?"

" we have studied intercepted earth broadcasts of the ancient television shows Perry Mason and The Defenders, it seems the traditional attire for these judiciary proceedings is the male business suit with necktie"

Do you ever watch those court tv shows most of those defendants and the accusers are dressed like teenagers hanging out on the street corner.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 9:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
No suit, no tie, a tacky T-shirt and a badge on a neck chain. Looks like a clear case of guilt by accessorization.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 4:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Why do these guys look so much alike? And why are they dressed so formally? You will notice everyone else in the background is dressed rather casually. I suspect they are not from around here. I suspect they are from a place far far away.

"what mode of attire is customarily worn by the earthlings in their primitave courts of law Zork?"

" we have studied intercepted earth broadcasts of the ancient television shows Perry Mason and The Defenders, it seems the traditional attire for these judiciary proceedings is the male business suit with necktie"

" but what about our lack of follicle growth?"

"we are most fortunate in that it is quite fashionable for the human male to shave the cranium in these times, they will suspect nothing"
Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/8/3 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

This case would have been on the cards for quite some time now to get a suit on.

Maybe they (cops) feel the same way as their attorney and feel that bashing a guy that didn't sustain any serious injury shouldn't require a court appearance or court action.

If I ever bash a person, I'll be sure not to hurt them too much and request some sort of reasoning for not going to court as the cops attorney !

Posted on: 2008/8/3 2:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I would have thought that the dress code for a court appearance would be tie and jacket not jeans and t-shirt !

It clearly means (to me) that the cops have little respect for the court process and the judge. Remember the 'My cousin Vinnie' movie and the dress code issue? Could these cops be mocking the JC Justice system ?

If I had to weigh up guilt on appearance, then the dumb-ass looking cops take the prize.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I would have thought that the dress code for a court appearance would be tie and jacket not jeans and t-shirt !

It clearly means (to me) that the cops have little respect for the court process and the judge. Remember the 'My cousin Vinnie' movie and the dress code issue? Could these cops be mocking the JC Justice system ?

Posted on: 2008/8/3 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure why JJ online didn't carry this but here is the latest update.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
steroids testing for that cop!

Posted on: 2007/11/8 18:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/21 14:41
Group:
Registered Users
HERE IS A STORY THAT HAPPENED TO MY BROTHER AND I APPROX 1992 IN JERSEY CITY.
My brother and I went to Maloneys meat market 7/4 for a Barbque. On our way home we had a stop sign by the Old Wilson Carpet on Cook street. Some guy behind us started beeping like a madman. After pulling to the side to see who this was and to see what the problem was a guy started cursing us and blowing his top that he will kick our Arse and we are pieces of crap( the works) I laughed and flipped him the bird. He then pulled a gun and pointed it at us....at this my brother hit the gas and took off towards the heights....we could not believe this was happening. We could not loose this guy....we were hoping a police car would see and help. At no avail I advised my brother this guy is crazy and head to the 6th precient on central ave . When we got there I jumped out of the car and ran for cover inside the precient...This guy ran right in after us!!!
All the cops there drew guns on both of us!! I froze.....turned out this guy was a officer on his way to the a parade in downtown jersey city. He was some kinda golden glove boxer and I realized thats why he thought he was a tough guy. He lied and never addressed himself as a police officer...he was just another gung ho out of hand hot headed so called cop thinking he was above the law. The Capt at the desk made him apologize to me and my brother and asked if we would forgive him . We did that knowing at the time there was no way we would have a case due to the corruption in this city. I know of several stories about the abuse of the Jersey City police ....I grew up in Jersey City and left 18 years ago.....I just joined this sight and can sure believe all the abuse postings i see here....Truthfully..while growing up in JC I was a good kid....hung out with friends never looking for trouble...it always seemed if you were hanging out in a crowd with friends you were considered doing somthing wrong.....we were a good group of kids and several times have seen abuse by these guys. It's not right.....Jersey City was a great city at one time. I think just before 1980 it got so rotten it was downhill from there.

thanks for listening

Posted on: 2007/11/8 17:51

County prosecutor takes over case of man who says cops beat him
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
County prosecutor takes over case of man who says cops beat him
by Michaelangelo Conte
Friday October 05, 2007, 10:48 AM

The case of a Jersey City man injured by police officers responding to his call for help during a burglary was to proceed in municipal court today but the parties showed up only to learn the case has been taken over by the county prosecutor's office.

"It involves an allegation touching on internal affairs and it will be reviewed for determination as to what is the appropriate venue for disposition," Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

Mathias Bolton, 34, of Palisade Avenue, has said that on Aug. 20 he called police when he heard a noise on his roof and saw two men trying to break in. He then went down four flights to open the front door because there is no bell.

At the door Bolton found Jersey City Police Officers Kevin Hill and Victor Vargas running toward him and thought they were with the burglars. Vargas and Hill apparently thought Bolton was a fleeing burglar.

The cops said they identified themselves. Bolton said they did not.

The officers grabbed him and knocked him to the ground after one officer repeatedly punched him in the head, Bolton says.

The police report said that when police cruisers arrived, Bolton said: "Get the (expletive) off me. Who are you guys?" and that after the uniformed officers arrived on the scene, Bolton said, "OK, I give up. I'm sorry" and was taken to the police station and then to the hospital.

Bolton was originally charged with aggravated assault on police officers and resisting arrest but those charges were downgraded to disorderly persons offenses and remanded to municipal court.

Bolton then filed aggravated assault charges against the cops and asked the judge for a change of venue.

DeFazio said his office will look into the matter to determine if the charges against the officers should be pursued as a criminal matter, or as an administrative matter only.
See more in Courts, Crime, Jersey City

Posted on: 2007/10/6 2:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/19 21:19
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, it worked!

Have a nice day.

Posted on: 2007/9/6 16:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/11 12:35
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
They need to whip on giant hats with blazing sirens. That would clearly identify them as cops, and also, it would be awesome.

Posted on: 2007/9/6 15:23
"Contemplate this upon the Tree of Woe."

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
While I generally agree with your post, Justi, two points-

1. Closest unit is supposed to respond first.

2. Standard Operating Procedure in any *decent* caliber PD is to verbally and visually (i.e. "badge") identify yourself to anyone on the scene, whether you think they're a suspect or a victim, particularly if the responding officers are plaintclothes. There are as many legal reasons as practical ones for doing so.

Hindsight is 20/20 and since I wasn't in any of these peoples' shoes at the time, I'll reserve judgement until more details emerge.

Posted on: 2007/9/6 15:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/5 17:42
Group:
Banned
it is kind of odd that plain clothes cops were sent there in the first place....

Posted on: 2007/9/6 14:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/11 12:35
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The real problem here is that both of the parties acted reasonably, given the information that they had. (note that this is about the initial encounter, not the post facto mudslinging.)

When I got robbed a couple of years ago, I was so super pissed off that I am sure that I was radiating waves of aggression and red-hot pissedoffedness. It would be easy to mistake this for bad intent towards cops, had they showed up unsure of who I was.

It's also totally reasonable for the victim here to think that two thuggy dudes bursting in his front door shouting "did you call the cops" are intending to F him up (which, ironically, they ended up doing.)

If I had been the cops, the victim could reasonably have looked like a perp in flight, especially if he resists.

If I had been the victim, I would likely have reasonably inferred that these dudes were thugs, and responded to their query by putting my foot in their face, or shooting them. I am not going to scrutinize their bling to see if it includes a police badge.

As long as these undercover groups exist, and respond to calls like this, these sorts of things will happen. This method of policing guarantees it. Cops in uniform are:

A) visibly identifiable as cops.

and

B) reduce crime in the area, because of A).

I understand the reaction, in a stress situation, of both parties, and could see myself behaving that way. I think we need to look at how to prevent these situations from occuring.

Posted on: 2007/9/6 14:54
"Contemplate this upon the Tree of Woe."

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/5 17:42
Group:
Banned
the fact that the original charges were downgraded speaks volumes......

Posted on: 2007/9/6 14:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/6 18:17
Group:
Registered Users
Ratslayer I am so glad to see that you know how to use vulgar language have a nice day!

Posted on: 2007/9/6 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Cops' 'victim' in court
To make change of venue request

Thursday, September 06, 2007
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The Jersey City man injured by police officers responding to his call for help during a burglary filed complaints against the two officers in court yesterday, accusing them of assaulting him, officials said.

Based on the Aug. 20 incident, Mathias Bolton, 34, of Palisade Avenue near Bowers Street, filed complaints against Jersey City Police Officers Kevin Hill and Victor Vargas.

The officers assaulted Bolton "by punching and kicking" him "about the head and body" and by throwing him down his front steps, the complaints allege. Bolton said he suffered a black eye, injured foot, and many abrasions on his arms, back and shoulders. He said doctors told him his arm was fractured, although it was not in a cast yesterday.

"He was assaulted by the police officers and he needs to vindicate his rights," said attorney Raoul Bustillo, who represented Bolton in Jersey City Municipal Court with co-counsel John Burke.

The police report of the incident says Bolton was treated at a hospital for "minor scrapes."

Bolton, who has a master's degree from Rutgers University and is director of research for a labor union in New York City, was originally charged with aggravated assault on police officers and resisting arrest. When he made his first appearance in Central Judicial Processing Court on the charges only days after the incident, a judge downgraded the charges and sent the case to municipal court.

Yesterday Municipal Court Judge Cynthia Jackson granted Bolton a postponement until Oct. 5 at 9 a.m. so his lawyers can request a change of venue in order to have the case heard outside the jurisdiction where Vargas and Hill work.

As Bolton and his attorneys left the Summit Avenue courthouse, Burke said they were on their way to file an internal affairs complaint at police headquarters. Police said they have launched an investigation into the incident and Chief Thomas Comey asked that no one jump to conclusions until all the facts are in.

Bolton said that on the day of the incident he called police when he heard a noise on his roof and saw two men trying to break in. He then went down four flights to open the front door because there is no bell, Bolton said.

Bolton mistook the two men running toward him as possible burglars and plainclothes officers Vargas and Hill apparently thought Bolton was a fleeing burglar. The cops said they identified themselves. Bolton said they did not.

The officers grabbed him and told him they were investigating a burglary and Bolton replied, "So get the hell off me," and then fell trying to run away, kicking at Hill and Vargas while down, the reports said.

Bolton said he was knocked to the ground after one of the officers repeatedly punched him in the head.

The report said that when police cruisers arrived, Bolton said: "Get the (expletive) off me. Who are you guys?" and that after the uniformed officers arrived on the scene, Bolton said, "OK, I give up. I'm sorry" and was taken to the police station and then to the hospital.

Posted on: 2007/9/6 11:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/24 1:03
Group:
Registered Users
I dont' know anything about this particular thread. but i had to deal with a pissed off cop once. sadly the only thing you could do is arm yourself and hope you didn't get shot first. there isn't much you can do if the cops and their fraturnal order don't care for you. so slashing tires is the least of anyones worries.

Posted on: 2007/9/5 19:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/19 21:19
Group:
Registered Users
Melhere2, please shut the F8ck up! Enough!

Posted on: 2007/9/5 19:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/26 20:37
Group:
Registered Users
Well, you seem to think the JCPD are the ones who should be canonized.

Whatever makes you feel safe. Ignorance is bliss.

Posted on: 2007/9/5 19:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Guess again! You need to give people more credit then you are giving me. I'm sure the JCPD has nothing else to do but slash tires please give me a break. You can believe him all you want. I am starting to believe him less & less because of the reaction you are giving. And the way you are telling it someone better alert the Catholic Church because we have Saint right here in JC.

Posted on: 2007/9/5 19:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/26 20:37
Group:
Registered Users
actually, it does. I know him, know what he's capable of; know that he has know reason to lie about it; know that he doesn't drink or do drugs, when the clutching-at-straws cops tried to smear his name by saying he was drunk or high; know that he's pretty beat up for no good reason; know that his girlfriend's tires were slashed the next morning; know that the JC cops have a history of impropriety.

And it's not that I WANT to believe him because he's my friend. I BELIEVE him because he's telling the truth. Period. You're just some troll message board pseudo pundit who just wanted to stir up controversy by addressing an issue she knows absolutely nothing about.

Posted on: 2007/9/5 19:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just because you are friends with him does not make you an authority on this matter either!

Posted on: 2007/9/5 19:27

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017