Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
79 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 16 »

Re: An open letter to the Dog Owners of DTJC (brace yourselves)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
Do we really need to rehash the exact same points over and over again.

Bubble Tea, has anyone on this board said they would be opposed to development of that park? You asked for input and people gave you honest responses. I would love to see the park developed. Do you have any idea of the difficulties that have been involved in trying to get the park developed; how many different bodies own the parcels of land that were included in the "connect the parks" plan? The fact that they have even gotten the parcel owned by the Veteran's Affairs group developed is a massive win. The newport waterway and newport park have been completed in the last couple years, the colgate clock park is under development. The state has done a good job restoring LSP after Sandy, the new footbridge to LSP was rebuilt and massively improved. It may not seem like it because you're focused solely on Morris Canal park but the city has done a pretty impressive job of developing the waterfront despite a difficult economic and political situation.

If you want the park developed do something other than complain that it's not being done fast enough on a message board where you will get nothing done. There are scheduled cleanups at morris canal park. You can always help out with those.

And FYI, I'll reiterate this fact one more time. If one of your biggest arguments is that people aren't using the park because of feces on the ground then you also need to include a plan to control the goose population because they contribute a heck of a lot more to that problem than the dog population. And again I am not in any way saying that cleaning up after your dog is not a problem.

Its great that you want to see our neighborhood improved, but understand that you're not the first person to bring up the concept of developing Morris Canal park. Most of us who have been here have been hoping for that for some time, and if the city is able to retake back ownership and control of that parcel of land maybe we'll be able to get it done quicker.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I'm actually saying that because Hamilton Park is filled with children and surrounded by busy streets.

Moris Canal Park would also likely be filled with children if it was developed FOR PEOPLE (including children). Right now it is a glorified dog park.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Agreed on all fronts. That is one of the reasons I and others like me have joined each respective neighborhood association. I promise that you will see changes in time. But, it definitely takes time. I urge you to join your NA as well and get involved.

Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
Just saw this sad but true quote in an article:

"Peninsula Park is a great parcel of land that has unfortunately been deteriorating for years and acts solely as a local non-fenced dog park these days. "

Link: http://thejerseycitylife.com/?p=384

We have a glorified dog park in one of the best locations for a beautiful park imaginable that actual PEOPLE could be enjoying.

It's a park that no one would want to picnic or relax in because dogs would be racing by and over you and because you would be would eating on top of a dog toilet.

And we have dog owners that would literally oppose development of the park if it meant that the construction of a fenced in dog run area.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

mdips wrote:
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
Quote:

mdips wrote:
Unfortunately I would not be in favor of a dog run in Morris Canal Park.

Firstly, they are generally designed too small. Take a look at the rendering of the dog run in the plans the "connect the parks" people drew up. It looks like an afterthought on the outskirts of the park.

Secondly, one of the big draws of Morris Canal park is the water. My dog spends 90-95% of the time I am at the park in the water or down walking along the rocky shoreline.

I think this comment goes to the heart of the dispute going on in this thread and is a HUGE problem.

Dog owners like this person want their dogs to have, literally, free reign in JC's parks. And they view developed parks with dog-run areas as a threat to that free reign.

I think people like this would actually oppose fixing up Morris Canal park and making it look nice if it meant the installation of a dog run. They prefer the weeded areas high grass, broken up pavement, etc. that dogs may love to run through, whereas everyone else would like a nice clean park they can enjoy.

The difference I suppose is that certain dog owners see the parks as primarily being available for the enjoyment of their dogs. Conversely, everyone else see's them as being primarily for the enjoyment of people.

I think your comment actually goes to the heart of the problem. You asked what I assumed was a serious question of local dog owners and I provided a straight forward response in hopes that it would help forward a dialogue. At no point did I make the point that the park is solely for dogs or petition to keep the park in the state that it is currently in.

Look back through the thread. I've stated that I empathize that the off leash has become an issue at times and there may be a need for it to be addressed. All I've suggested all along is for the possibility for off leash hours to placate both sides of the issue. It's worked in NYC, Brooklyn, several cities within NJ etc.

As to the weeded areas, broken up pavement and garbage you refer to, have you been involved in the park cleanups? A lot of us dog owners are at the park on a daily basis (year round, inclement weather or not, off leash and not) and take a pride and interest in maintaining the park. I have to clean up countless broken bottles and six packs, blunt wrappers and today it was fireworks boxes. Just because I own a dog and like to walk it in the park doesn't allow the jump to be made that I don't care for the park or anyone else that wants to enjoy it.

I think a designated off-leash time is a good idea for an area as big as Lincoln Park or Morris Canal, but not for a little landscaped pocket like Hamilton park. Just one dog owner's opinion.

Hamilton Park might be more area than Morris Canal park. You're saying that because Hamilton Park is landscaped and nice.

I'm actually saying that because Hamilton Park is filled with children and surrounded by busy streets.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just saw this sad but true quote in an article:

"Peninsula Park is a great parcel of land that has unfortunately been deteriorating for years and acts solely as a local non-fenced dog park these days. "

Link: http://thejerseycitylife.com/?p=384

We have a glorified dog park in one of the best locations for a beautiful park imaginable that actual PEOPLE could be enjoying.

It's a park that no one would want to picnic or relax in because dogs would be racing by and over you and because you would be eating on top of a dog toilet.

And we have dog owners that would literally oppose development of the park if it meant that the construction of a fenced in dog run area.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

mdips wrote:
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
Quote:

mdips wrote:

Firstly, they are generally designed too small. Take a look at the rendering of the dog run in the plans the "connect the parks" people drew up. It looks like an afterthought on the outskirts of the park.

Secondly, one of the big draws of Morris Canal park is the water. My dog spends 90-95% of the time I am at the park in the water or down walking along the rocky shoreline.

I think this comment goes to the heart of the dispute going on in this thread and is a HUGE problem.

Dog owners like this person want their dogs to have, literally, free reign in JC's parks. And they view developed parks with dog-run areas as a threat to that free reign.

I think people like this would actually oppose fixing up Morris Canal park and making it look nice if it meant the installation of a dog run. They prefer the weeded areas high grass, broken up pavement, etc. that dogs may love to run through, whereas everyone else would like a nice clean park they can enjoy.

The difference I suppose is that certain dog owners see the parks as primarily being available for the enjoyment of their dogs. Conversely, everyone else see's them as being primarily for the enjoyment of people.

I think your comment actually goes to the heart of the problem. You asked what I assumed was a serious question of local dog owners and I provided a straight forward response in hopes that it would help forward a dialogue. At no point did I make the point that the park is solely for dogs or petition to keep the park in the state that it is currently in.

Look back through the thread. I've stated that I empathize that the off leash has become an issue at times and there may be a need for it to be addressed. All I've suggested all along is for the possibility for off leash hours to placate both sides of the issue. It's worked in NYC, Brooklyn, several cities within NJ etc.

As to the weeded areas, broken up pavement and garbage you refer to, have you been involved in the park cleanups? A lot of us dog owners are at the park on a daily basis (year round, inclement weather or not, off leash and not) and take a pride and interest in maintaining the park. I have to clean up countless broken bottles and six packs, blunt wrappers and today it was fireworks boxes. Just because I own a dog and like to walk it in the park doesn't allow the jump to be made that I don't care for the park or anyone else that wants to enjoy it.

I think a designated off-leash time is a good idea for an area as big as Lincoln Park or Morris Canal, but not for a little landscaped pocket like Hamilton park. Just one dog owner's opinion.

Hamilton Park might be more area than Morris Canal park. You're saying that because Hamilton Park is landscaped and nice.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 11:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mdips wrote:
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
Quote:

mdips wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/8 5:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mdips wrote:
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
Quote:

mdips wrote:

First off, any development of the park would likely mean a dog run area. The vast majority of the nice modern developments in the NYC area have them. Some of the reasons for this include that the landscaping gets ruined when dogs run leashless and because people don't feel as comfortable picnicking or lounging in the park when dogs are flying through it. If you want to make a park nice FOR PEOPLE, it just makes sense to have a dog run area. But, again, you are opposing a dog run because you want your doing to have free reign across the entire park.

Second, you didn't answer my question:

Can you please let us know how big the dog run would need to be for you to be okay with it?

Here is the connect the parks plan you were talking about; http://www.jcwpc.org/Images/plan.jpg

Do you want it to be two times that size? Do you want more space for dogs than people? I'd like to know what you're thinking.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 4:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
Quote:

mdips wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/7 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
I really did "lol" at the suggestion of dna identification of poo as a way of "curbing" this heinous behavior. Ridiculous! It might work in a hamlet not in a busy city.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Morris Canal Park should be a tourist spot - Ideal for viewing new year fireworks and NY skyline. It also the location of our war memorial.
I'm amazed how now we have to provide dogs with the opportunity to play in water and run around - Man's best friend is turning into a high demanding pet and no longer only needing a long walk and companionship of their owners.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 22:27
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mdips wrote:

Can you please let us know how big the dog run would need to be for you to be okay with it?

Here is the connect the parks plan you were talking about; http://www.jcwpc.org/Images/plan.jpg

Do you want it to be two times that size? Do you want more space for dogs than people? I'd like to know what you're thinking.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mdips wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/7 21:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Who said anything about the dogs liking the park for the view? The dogs give a damn about being able to play in the water.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Wouldn't Morris Canal Park make for a great location for a children's playground, coin operated BBQ area and shelter from the elements with that great view of the NY skyline? - I don't think dogs give a rats-ass about the view!

Posted on: 2013/8/7 17:23
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/7 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/7 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
I'd like to comment again that much of this issue could be resolved with fenced in dog-run areas in Jersey City's parks-- especially at the Morris Canal park and Liberty State Park. NY and Brooklyn have them. There is no reason JC should not.

It would make everyone happy. Dog owners would have a place to let their dogs go leashless and would have no excuse for doing so outside the fenced in area. And non-dog owners could enjoy the parks without many of the complaints they are making on this thread.

It wouldn't resolve all of the problems, like owners who don't clean up after their dogs while they are leashed. But it would go a long long way in making things better.

the free-thinkers who let their animals off-leash within view of the dog runs at Hamilton Park scoff at this reasonable compromise.

Can dog owners that are commenting on this thread please confirm that they would be IN FAVOR of dog run areas in places like Morris Canal Park? So it's clear where it's appropriate for dog's to run leashless.

With all the back and forth on this thread, I think it's a reasonable point EVERYONE can get together on.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
@Seagull - Let me connect the dots for you. The city could register every dogs DNA as part of yearly licencing, then any dog poop found on streets or parks could be tested and the offending dog owner fined. Licenses and fines could cover the operating costs. The poop problem would quickly disappear.

To me that is better than a group of vigilante snitches, confronting and ratting out their neighbors, and wasting police time on calls. Of course then you would have to find something else to pick fights over.

Your DNA idea to stop the dog feces pandemic in this city is a pipe dream. Have you ever looked into the cost of something like this? Also, until we have a written law in place requiring dog owners to register their dogs DNA (not ever going to happen) this will continue. You can keep your pipe dreams and dog poop. dtjcview....the champion and defender of dog crap.

You seem more comfortable with labeling people, than tackling the issue. I guess labels help simplify your thinking.

The cost? According to http://www.pooprints.com/ fines of around $150 would cover it. DNA testing itself is getting cheaper every year - currently you can get it done for $60 or less.

Pipe dream? Dallas gave it serious consideration. There would be a huge benefit to being an early adopter since a company like pooprints would pay for the publicity. Why not showcase JC as taking a lead?

And law on DNA testing? What would stop the City and County adopting ordinances requiring it as part of dog licenses, the same as micro-chipping, or rabies shots?

Posted on: 2013/8/7 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
@Seagull - Let me connect the dots for you. The city could register every dogs DNA as part of yearly licencing, then any dog poop found on streets or parks could be tested and the offending dog owner fined. Licenses and fines could cover the operating costs. The poop problem would quickly disappear.

To me that is better than a group of vigilante snitches, confronting and ratting out their neighbors, and wasting police time on calls. Of course then you would have to find something else to pick fights over.

Your DNA idea to stop the dog feces pandemic in this city is a pipe dream. Have you ever looked into the cost of something like this? Also, until we have a written law in place requiring dog owners to register their dogs DNA (not ever going to happen) this will continue. You can keep your pipe dreams and dog poop. dtjcview....the champion and defender of dog crap.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/7 11:45

Edited by dtjcview on 2013/8/7 12:08:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:
@dtjcview - You MAY be outraged but you might implode because you sound so afraid to make a stand. Btw ,I didn't make any inflammatory comments.

I consider threatening to anonymously post a video of dog poop offender and labeling them scum, not much better that what happened earlier on this thread when the OPs name and photos were posted. Neither is illegal nor particularly brave, but both are uncivil. And the only thing I fear is that nutcases reading this thread take the law into their own hands and repeat the kind of poop slinging confrontations that have happened in JC in the past.

How about a less confrontational approach? Why wouldn't something like this work city-wide?

http://www.pooprints.com/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05 ... p-dna-test_n_3281695.html

People need to be held accountable for their actions. It's that simple. I understand that you don't like that. Maybe you're a repeat offender yourself. The links you provided are funny, but in this case we don't need to go through that channel of trying to match DNA evidence. We have photographic proof, and there's no need to have DNA testing. Tell me, what would you suggest people do with the DNA evidence? Once there is DNA evidence we should just file it away, never bring it up again, and move on meanwhile dog crap covers our streets? That's your logic. SMH.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 11:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:
@dtjcview - You MAY be outraged but you might implode because you sound so afraid to make a stand. Btw ,I didn't make any inflammatory comments.

I consider threatening to anonymously post a video of dog poop offender and labeling them scum, not much better that what happened earlier on this thread when the OPs name and photos were posted. Neither is illegal nor particularly brave, but both are uncivil. And the only thing I fear is that nutcases reading this thread take the law into their own hands and repeat the kind of poop slinging confrontations that have happened in JC in the past.

How about a less confrontational approach? Why wouldn't something like this work city-wide?

http://www.pooprints.com/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05 ... p-dna-test_n_3281695.html

Posted on: 2013/8/7 9:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@ o73o2 - I like the idea!
@Seagull - Yes, that sounds like the same gross person.
@jcdd - I totally agree with your approach - call out these people and make them aware that what they are neglecting is wrong.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/7 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
We all need to start openly calling out owners that we see on the street that don't clean up the poop. In a very loud voice, say "YOU NEED TO PICK UP YOUR DOG'S POOP". If the person refuses to listen to you, continue to follow them and repeat the message. Lastly, make a point to take a picture of them on your camera. Tell them you will be forwarding it to the police. I used to be shy and embarrassed to do this, but now it realize that it is the dog owner that should be embarrassed.

Dog poop is completely unsanitary and is a public health hazard. Would it be okay if we had human poop staining the sidewalks throughout the City? Seriously people, let's try not to look like a third world city.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Owlie - I think it's possible to be both outraged by people not picking up their dog poop, and be civil enough to demand action without making inflammatory posts. Me, I'm also outraged by ignorant and inconsiderate dog-owners that don't pick up their dog's crap, but I'm happy to let the judge label the offending dog-owner in court when they pay their fines.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 0:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:
@dtjcview.... Nobody called the offending person "Scum" to their faces. Why do you think what was written is uncivilized? Free speech and thought has not been outlawed yet. I think anyone who objects to this outrage about all the dog crap is a part of the problem; that is my humble opinion. Do you think we should just turn a blind eye when the streets are being fouled because the city will eventually clean it up at taxpayers expense? That is uncivilized behavior (again in my humble opinion).
If you look at the rest of the world, there are countries where the dog owners would never consider not cleaning up after their pets, i.e. Japan and the streets are immaculate. Then, there are countries like France and the US where people choose to leave dog crap on public streets as a statement of their lack of pride.
To ignore the dog crap situation in Jersey City is uncivilized and unacceptable.

Hey Owlie,

What did this girl look like? This evening around 6:45pm, I was walking home on Barrow and Christopher Columbus, and I witnessed an asian girl with a brown and white pitbull letting her dog relieve itself on the street. She was wearing jogging attire. I guess she's dressed to run just in case someone says anything to her. LOL. She let the dog crap all over the place and didn't even think about picking it up. She also didn't have anything with her to pick it up. Is this the same person?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@dtjcview.... Nobody called the offending person "Scum" to their faces. Why do you think what was written is uncivilized? Free speech and thought has not been outlawed yet. I think anyone who objects to this outrage about all the dog crap is a part of the problem; that is my humble opinion. Do you think we should just turn a blind eye when the streets are being fouled because the city will eventually clean it up at taxpayers expense? That is uncivilized behavior (again in my humble opinion).
If you look at the rest of the world, there are countries where the dog owners would never consider not cleaning up after their pets, i.e. Japan and the streets are immaculate. Then, there are countries like France and the US where people choose to leave dog crap on public streets as a statement of their lack of pride.
To ignore the dog crap situation in Jersey City is uncivilized and unacceptable.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 22:44

Edited by owlie on 2013/8/6 23:02:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
I'd like to comment again that much of this issue could be resolved with fenced in dog-run areas in Jersey City's parks-- especially at the Morris Canal park and Liberty State Park. NY and Brooklyn have them. There is no reason JC should not.

It would make everyone happy. Dog owners would have a place to let their dogs go leashless and would have no excuse for doing so outside the fenced in area. And non-dog owners could enjoy the parks without many of the complaints they are making on this thread.

It wouldn't resolve all of the problems, like owners who don't clean up after their dogs while they are leashed. But it would go a long long way in making things better.

the free-thinkers who let their animals off-leash within view of the dog runs at Hamilton Park scoff at this reasonable compromise.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 17:07

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 16 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017