Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
29 user(s) are online (19 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 29

more...



Tags: ''  

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 20 »


Re: New York Times: They’re All Connected -- www.BeaconOwners.com
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2004/9/15 19:03
Last Login :
8/25 18:25
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 9116
Offline
Resized Image

Why do I keep thinking of "The Shining"?

Posted on: 2009/11/24 23:12
Top


Re: New York Times: They’re All Connected -- www.BeaconOwners.com
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/9/1 11:45
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 456
Offline
though i am not a resident of the building, i do know many people in the building (dog walking clients and people i meet on my daily trips over there) and used to post every so often on the forum. my account was banned from sending private messages for no reason. i've never solicited anyone from the beacon, and i don't solicit people for dog walking work anywhere.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 22:56
Top


Re: New York Times: They’re All Connected -- www.BeaconOwners.com
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined :
2007/10/6 13:30
Last Login :
2010/11/2 23:04
Group:
Banned
Posts: 47
Offline
This is a hilarious string.

I tried to join the board last year (at the time you didn't have to be a resident) because I was thinking of moving there. It was about the time that rental listings were dropped from the board.

I sent a slightly amusing email and suggested that JCLIST could fill that service, and asking for membership. I got back a scorching email from James that he did not like JCLIST or some of it's members (who he named in the email) and denied me membership.

He sounded like a nazi webmaster from hell. But no great loss.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 21:46
Top


Re: New York Times: They’re All Connected -- www.BeaconOwners.com
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/10/15 20:21
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 375
Offline
Hi Mary, and whomever Brokenyc is. From time to time I did disagree with him on the forum but I didn’t have an experience with censorship so I cant speak to that. Putting censorship and whether or not you agree with his positions aside, I felt he stepped up to the plate for the Beacon. From what I gather he did a lot of heavy lifting for the complex when it was a fledgling community, much beyond the message board.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 20:29
Top


Re: New York Times: They’re All Connected -- www.BeaconOwners.com
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/11/24 16:34
Last Login :
2009/11/24 16:40
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1
Offline
What the article doesn't say...

If James doesn't like what you post on the forum, although you are are a resident in the building, he will permanently ban you from communicating with other residents in the building. So although he attempted to do something productive for the building, in essence the power he felt by creating this online communication tool got to his head and he began censoring what people would write. He would even delete comments or threads when he felt like it, although they communicated valuable information to other residents within the building. I will never understand why people feel the need to sensor social media!

Posted on: 2009/11/24 16:44
Top


Re: The Beacon
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/10/15 20:21
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 375
Offline
Moving cities could make a difference if things like previous aggregated losses, fire departments and crime was different AND measured to that detail. Distances of a mile or two within a city...I wouldnt hang my hat on gaining or losing from any perceived differences, you're more likely to be averaged together. There usually are no differences anyway at that level. There is no database that i know of that has all kinds of detail by neighborhood...for instance Newport versus Paulus Hook or "downtown". Those are neighborhoods which are loosely defined, not counties, towns or even census tracks or insurance territories. Zip codes are often lumped together with ones that have similar experience, sometimes they can be split apart if there is real reason. An example of data available...crime stat vendors I have tested will give you the same "rating" for downtown as they do for JSQ.

Insurers vary with their pricing methodology, and have fluctuations over time in thier underwriting standards based on a number of reasons. This is why you get different prices from different carriers, they all do it differently to some degree. Many factors can go into underwriting, if you were specifically asked about it being "gated" than maybe it was included. If you were not i wouldn’t assume it was. What i have heard used for HO are things like distance to responding fire station, rating of the fire department, construction material, date built, replacement cost (not market value), security systems, presence of sprinklers, and some location factors but assuming it is by neighborhood is not necessarily accurate.

I am now walking on a line at the edge of my knowledge in this area. I try to make it a rule not to say things on here that is an assumption and could possibly be untrue...that is just a disservice to anyone reading it. So i will leave it with this as my understanding of how this works. I am fairly certain this is all correct, if there are any HO underwriters out there please add some more detail.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 19:06
Top


Re: The Beacon
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/10/16 18:26
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 214
Offline
My insurance company knows I moved from Secaucus to Jersey City and they didn't have a problem leaving my fee alone. I don't know why my HOI is less I lived in a gated community before I moved here too. Just got lucky I guess.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 18:05
Top


Re: The Beacon
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/10/15 20:21
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 375
Offline
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
It's unchanged because you're not moving to the Beacon from downtown. Your homeowners insurance is less because you live in a hotel-like high rise as opposed to a small brownstone which is more likely to get flooded. I'm not trashing the Beacon by any means, just giving a comparison between zip codes. I think your facilities are lovely...the gym, juice bar, pool, billiard room...etc. I don't think I could bring myself to pay a grand in maintenance for that, but that's besides the point.


I would be interested to know what kind of experience/knowledge of insurance and underwriting practices you have.

It would be great to have detailed data to be able to underwrite properties specifically based on their block, much of this data doesnt exist. To get specific data for each personal auto and HO policy would cost too much. Typically surveys/inspections are only done on larger commercial risks with high premiums and potentially high payouts...personal policies are almost a commodity these days. Many times they are pretty accurately automatically assigned rates.


Auto insurance territories are not defined by zip codes...they are usually banded together. I am almost positive the HO rate change had a lot more to do with the masonry construction, having security, age of building, replacement cost, having sprinklers etc...not location within JC as what data would differentiate one location in JC from another? We all have the same fire department system which is a good one. Flood is NOT included in your regular HO insurance and therefore shouldn’t have any impact. If your in a flood zone, dont assume you are covered, go get government flood insurance.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 17:00
Top


Re: The Beacon
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2007/9/24 22:26
Last Login :
1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 444
Offline
Quote:

marybarr wrote:
Well my car insurance is unchanged and my home owners insurance is LESS.


It's unchanged because you're not moving to the Beacon from downtown. Your homeowners insurance is less because you live in a hotel-like high rise as opposed to a small brownstone which is more likely to get flooded. I'm not trashing the Beacon by any means, just giving a comparison between zip codes. I think your facilities are lovely...the gym, juice bar, pool, billiard room...etc. I don't think I could bring myself to pay a grand in maintenance for that, but that's besides the point.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 16:38
Top


Re: The Beacon
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/10/16 18:26
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 214
Offline
Well my car insurance is unchanged and my home owners insurance is LESS.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 15:03
Top


Re: The Beacon
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2007/9/24 22:26
Last Login :
1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 444
Offline
Quote:

billc wrote:
I moved from Secaucus to the Beacon two and a half years ago and my car insurance is unchanged. Maybe your friend should shop around for a better rate. One insurance companies rate does not prove anything.


He's a conservative spender and a smart consumer. I'm SURE he didn't go with the first quote offered to him.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 13:38
Top


Re: The Beacon
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/7/1 13:58
Last Login :
2009/8/29 2:02
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 23
Offline
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
I have a friend who lives there, who is moving downtown tomorrow. We had to pay $10 for valet, because you can't park your car in their lot yourself and I wasn't going to leave my car in the surrounding neighborhood. Another interesting thing is his car insurance went up despite his residence being in a "gated" community. The downtown zipcode costs LESS to insure then the zipcode at the beacon. The car insurance companies have spoken. And they are telling us our cars are safer downtown.


Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/7/30 13:36
Top


Re: The Beacon
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/10/31 20:04
Last Login :
2015/9/9 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 39
Offline
I moved from Secaucus to the Beacon two and a half years ago and my car insurance is unchanged. Maybe your friend should shop around for a better rate. One insurance companies rate does not prove anything.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 13:29
Top


Re: The Beacon
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2007/9/24 22:26
Last Login :
1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 444
Offline
Quote:

sjcarolan wrote:
Out of curiosity, if I lived at the Beacon and was having friends visit, would my friends be allowed to ride the Beacon shuttle from Grove St (assuming that I, the Beacon resident was not there)? Let me know, thanks!


I have a friend who lives there, who is moving downtown tomorrow. We had to pay $10 for valet, because you can't park your car in their lot yourself and I wasn't going to leave my car in the surrounding neighborhood. Another interesting thing is his car insurance went up despite his residence being in a "gated" community. The downtown zipcode costs LESS to insure then the zipcode at the beacon. The car insurance companies have spoken. And they are telling us our cars are safer downtown.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 13:09
Top


Re: The Beacon
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/6/13 17:16
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 521
Offline
Quote:

sjcarolan wrote:
Out of curiosity, if I lived at the Beacon and was having friends visit, would my friends be allowed to ride the Beacon shuttle from Grove St (assuming that I, the Beacon resident was not there)? Let me know, thanks!



Yes, if you confirm that they are expected.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 23:04
I live by the river.
Top


Re: The Beacon
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/8/14 14:00
Last Login :
2010/11/22 15:52
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 29
Offline
Out of curiosity, if I lived at the Beacon and was having friends visit, would my friends be allowed to ride the Beacon shuttle from Grove St (assuming that I, the Beacon resident was not there)? Let me know, thanks!

Posted on: 2009/7/29 22:40
Top


Re: The Beacon
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/12/2 22:11
Last Login :
2013/5/29 20:47
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 41
Offline
I personally find it pretty funny when people complain about the distance. A 15-20 minute walk or a 5 minute bike ride might be a blessing in disguise.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 22:37
Top


Re: The Beacon
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/6/13 17:16
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 521
Offline
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:

If what you mean when you say the Beacon is too far from the PATH is that the neighborhood through which you walk is inferior than other downtown locations of comparable distance, then by all means just say that. But don't pretend it's any further from the PATH than the walk from Simple or White Star is.



Having lived at the Beacon and now on the north side of Hamilton Park I can tell you they mean both the distance and the neighborhood.

The distance to the PATH is roughly comparable from both locations and it is just far enough to represent a real issue for me. Everyone has a personal take on this, but for me, once it takes more than ten minutes to walk to and from the train, I am going to consider the walking time to be a significant component of the trip. And the weather really matters.

But it does make a difference where the walk takes you. Like many others I'd rather walk from Hamilton Park to the Grove station than to Pavonia even though it is a bit farther because walking through the mall parking garage and the mall (not to mention crossing Marin and Washington) is simply not pleasant while walking through the Hamilton Park and Harsimus Cove neighborhoods feels safe and visually appealing.

Let's just say neither the walk from the Beacon to JSQ or the walk down Montgomery to VVP is very appealing. But given the shuttle service I rarely had to consider either option.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 17:28
Top


Re: The Beacon
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/7/23 18:04
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Posts: 228
Offline
I don't understand why it's so important for people to bash the Beacon, to the point where they go out of their way to do so.

It's a fact that, on foot, the Beacon is no further from JSQ than West Hamilton Place is from Newport or Grove Street PATH stations. Let alone how far all but the southeastern-most parts of Hoboken are from the PATH.

Granted, West Hamilton Place brownstones don't come with a shuttle. And, granted, the walk to/from the PATH from West Hamilton Place is arguably an aesthetically "nicer" and "safer" walk than from the Beacon to JSQ. That's a wash to me.

If what you mean when you say the Beacon is too far from the PATH is that the neighborhood through which you walk is inferior than other downtown locations of comparable distance, then by all means just say that. But don't pretend it's any further from the PATH than the walk from Simple or White Star is.

It's kinda fascinating how angry people get at the Beacon and its residents.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 15:56
Top


Re: The Beacon
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/10/15 20:21
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 375
Offline
Quote:

MrWolf wrote:
As I continue to read this thread, I feel like I’m staring at a hamster wheel that somehow morphs into a car crash – of course, I cannot look away, of course, I hate myself for wasting the time.


That is pretty funny!

Posted on: 2009/7/29 15:50
Top


Re: The Beacon
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/8/14 14:00
Last Login :
2010/11/22 15:52
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 29
Offline
[quote]
bsun wrote:

Lol, you don't even know the neighborhood. Yeah, find me a galore amenities that you described within one block radius on 34th and 1st. I know FDR is there. Oh yeah, the Water Club is pretty close.

[quote]
How about second avenue genius? Pretty sure you can find everything you need right there. Enjoy the Beacon!

Posted on: 2009/7/29 15:45
Top


Re: The Beacon
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/6/14 0:56
Last Login :
2017/12/7 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 97
Offline
As I continue to read this thread, I feel like I’m staring at a hamster wheel that somehow morphs into a car crash – of course, I cannot look away, of course, I hate myself for wasting the time.

Either way, I think Shep has succinctly laid out the facts regarding the development’s walkability. He is not the only person I know who does this walk and I would further agree that it compares well distance wise to similar strolls throughout points Downtown. However, this fact is not very relevant given the effective operation of the shuttle. Again, it starts at 6:00AM and runs until 2:00AM, leaves every 15 minutes during peak hours and is well ridden by residents. Further, it’s only a six to seven minute ride to Grove street, nine to ten to Exchange Place (normal traffic) and very, very convenient (no walking through the rain, snow). Aside from walking and the shuttle, parking is available for at least half of what it costs a few other JC developments and it comes with valet (think grocery shopping and children). Finally, for those who insist on public transportation, the Westside NJ Transit bus stops right in front of the development (which I’ve take a number of times) and goes all the way to Newport Mall.

Regarding the local shopping fare, there are a number of options east on Montgomery and all along Bergen …. oh yeah, and you can also take a quick shuttle ride to access the golden promise land of Downtown commerce.

Look, it’s clear that perspective and comfort zone accounts for a lot when it comes to choosing a neighborhood. I get that and understand the varying opinions regarding this topic. So, can we all put the hamsters down and cease with this non- discourse regarding location and The Beacon?

Posted on: 2009/7/29 15:28
Top


Re: The Beacon
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/7/1 13:58
Last Login :
2009/8/29 2:02
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 23
Offline
Quote:

sjcarolan wrote:
Clearly you are confused, again-you made a similar argument a few weeks ago, to no avail. You are now comparing Manhattan neighborhoods with amenities galore (bars/restaurants/etc) within a one block radius to the Beacon, which has amenities (projects and a highway on-ramp) within a one block radius. Beacon is in the middle of nowhere from a shopping/mass-transit pov. Give it a rest buddy.


Lol, you don't even know the neighborhood. Yeah, find me a galore amenities that you described within one block radius on 34th and 1st. I know FDR is there. Oh yeah, the Water Club is pretty close.

Quote:

sjcarolan wrote:
Im glad you like it there, but stop trying to convince me and everyone else who doenst live there there that the location is something it's not.


No one is trying to convince you but telling you the fact of how they feel about where they live. You don't have to buy it. I think you should give it a rest since you have no interest in Beacon.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 14:58
Top


Re: The Beacon
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/8/14 14:00
Last Login :
2010/11/22 15:52
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 29
Offline
Quote:

bsun wrote:


I've lived quite few places such as 34th on 1st avenue and Battery Park. According to you, those aren't consider urban atmosphere because they are located a easy 10 mins walk to the station.


Clearly you are confused, again-you made a similar argument a few weeks ago, to no avail. You are now comparing Manhattan neighborhoods with amenities galore (bars/restaurants/etc) within a one block radius to the Beacon, which has amenities (projects and a highway on-ramp) within a one block radius. Beacon is in the middle of nowhere from a shopping/mass-transit pov. Give it a rest buddy.

Im glad you like it there, but stop trying to convince me and everyone else who doenst live there there that the location is something it's not.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 14:35
Top


Re: The Beacon
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/7/1 13:58
Last Login :
2009/8/29 2:02
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 23
Offline
Quote:

sjcarolan wrote:
The fact is I know the area quite well as I actually looked at a unit when I was in the market. I also ride my bike all over JC including past your building on my way to Lincoln Park.


At this point lets agree to disagree. You think the location is perfect and I find it less desireable.


Does your bike included in the transportation value you talked about?

Posted on: 2009/7/29 14:32
Top


Re: The Beacon
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/7/1 13:58
Last Login :
2009/8/29 2:02
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 23
Offline
Quote:

sjcarolan wrote:

Let's talk about Williamsburg, I lived there for 3 years. The L train stops on Bedford/Lorimer/Graham...great proximity and yes public housing in some parts but the point is that they are close to public transport....not sure what you are getting at as the Beacon is NOT.

I guess you are in the minority that wants to live an urban atmosphere without the conveniences typically associated with city living - shops/restaurants/transport all within walking distance. As Ive said before, I am thrilled that you are so pleased with your buy, but that does not change the fact that the location is subpar at best-and the majority of people value location in real estate.


I've lived quite few places such as 34th on 1st avenue and Battery Park. According to you, those aren't consider urban atmosphere because they are located a easy 10 mins walk to the station.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 14:24
Top


Re: The Beacon
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/10/15 20:21
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 375
Offline
Quote:

sjcarolan wrote:
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:


Thanks for clarifying, I think i errantly wrapped in sentiments from earlier posts.

I dont need a GPS to prove my point, I can tell you from personal experience. I offered the GPS since you have actually never walked around here, yet are posting about how far it is from public transit. It is also a new toy I am dying to use! Looking at Google Maps would also suffice. With respect to shopping...are you under the assumption that there are no stores up here?

The fact is I know the area quite well as I actually looked at a unit when I was in the market. I also ride my bike all over JC including past your building on my way to Lincoln Park.


At this point lets agree to disagree. You think the location is perfect and I find it less desireable.


I agree to disagree, but dont think that i believe the location is perfect, I would love our own PATH stop! I just didnt see the value in paying for that premium.

I am glad to hear you get around JC, I dont think enough do, and Lincoln park is an amazing hidden gem.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 14:02
Top


Re: The Beacon
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/8/14 14:00
Last Login :
2010/11/22 15:52
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 29
Offline
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:


Thanks for clarifying, I think i errantly wrapped in sentiments from earlier posts.

I dont need a GPS to prove my point, I can tell you from personal experience. I offered the GPS since you have actually never walked around here, yet are posting about how far it is from public transit. It is also a new toy I am dying to use! Looking at Google Maps would also suffice. With respect to shopping...are you under the assumption that there are no stores up here?

The fact is I know the area quite well as I actually looked at a unit when I was in the market. I also ride my bike all over JC including past your building on my way to Lincoln Park.


At this point lets agree to disagree. You think the location is perfect and I find it less desireable.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 13:55
Top


Re: The Beacon
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/10/15 20:21
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 375
Offline
Quote:

sjcarolan wrote:
JCSHEP, I will keep this very easy for you. Never once did I say that where you live is unsafe, or that I was afraid to venture there. My only point has been that your location is far from ideal for the majority of people who value proximity to mass transit as well as shopping/restaurants/etc. Ultimately if you need to GPS and time your walk to prove to me that its not that bad, well that kinda proves my point.


Thanks for clarifying, I think i errantly wrapped in sentiments from earlier posts.

I dont need a GPS to prove my point, I can tell you from personal experience as I did in detail. I offered the GPS since I *assume* you have actually never walked around here, yet are posting about how far it is from public transit. Honestly, it is also a new toy I am dying to use! Looking at Google Maps would also suffice. Are we on top of the subway? No. But using your exact logic claiming our location is sub par and makes an appreciable difference means Hamilton park west should be a bust...and it is not.

With respect to shopping...are you under the assumption that there are no stores up here? To see the highest concentration of stores similar to Newark Ave downtown I would invite you to take a stroll down Bergen Ave.

I am curious, have you visited the area around the Beacon? Have you walked around it? Have you experienced the neighborhood?

Posted on: 2009/7/29 13:37
Top


Re: The Beacon
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/8/14 14:00
Last Login :
2010/11/22 15:52
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 29
Offline
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:

Lets talk about it...location to transit and what kind of areas you have lived in...


Seriously lets move this discussion to facts. How about we first address location of here relative to the PATH. I hope the following gives you a snapshot of my life living here relative to transportation.

It takes me between 10-12 minutes to walk to JSQ, I estimate it is between .7 and .8 miles away…maybe less. I just got a GPS after getting semi-lost backpacking in Southern Utah this June and can confirm it if you want. We are AS CLOSE as the west side of Hamilton Park from a PATH stop, the park border, not the neighborhood border which is further. This means there are parts of williamsburg further from a subway stop than we are (given not too many).

So, it takes me about 10-12 minutes of casually walking to get to JSQ. I will fully admit, i am a very tall person so add a minute or two for that. The argument that we are far from public transit is fully Bull $!#&. And it comes from people who have never wondered around this area, yet somehow claim to know what they are talking about. Please someone stand up who has actually walked from here to JSQ, to Astor Bar, to the Reservoir, to the ice skating rink, to Grove street (not too much further than JSQ)…not someone who lives on the waterfront and “knows” about where I live. I live here and I do it all the time.

A) - we have a shuttle if you dont want to walk, B) - we are AS CLOSE as the west side of Hamilton Park from a PATH station. Look at Google or Live maps if you don’t believe me. Am I asserting that the neighborhood similar between here and JSQ, no, and I would not. Most of the people between here and JSQ are family people, and in my experience, real people. And honestly that is why I personally like it.

Is it terrible and unsafe? I don’t think so, I have never had an issue, not even a comment said to me, any of my friends or my girlfriend. Maybe it depends on who you are and how you carry yourself…body language is something we all unconsciously recognize and you will be bleeding from the eyes that you are scared if you are. That wouldn’t be a good thing downtown if that is you at night either. Have you ever lived outside of a fully “gentrified” place? If not, I understand why you feel uneasy, this is new to you, you don’t know if it is safe. I walk here to JSQ, bike to the waterfront and all around on the weekends, frequent the local businesses, live here like you live downtown with no problems. If you are uncomfortable walking from here to JSQ, OK, fine, you know your bounds and your comfort zone. Understand not all people need the assurances you do!

Oh, and I don’t have a car….


JCSHEP, I will keep this very easy for you. Never once did I say that where you live is unsafe, or that I was afraid to venture there. My only point has been that your location is far from ideal for the majority of people who value proximity to mass transit as well as shopping/restaurants/etc. Ultimately if you need to GPS and time your walk to prove to me that its not that bad, well that kinda proves my point.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 13:16
Top




« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 20 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017