Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: Councilwoman Loquat Breaks Election Law
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
PBW wrote

So, again-if it's true, she's either an outright lawbreaker or an idiot, neither fit for office.

Umm, looks to me like she fits in perfectly in Hudson County

Posted on: 2009/7/7 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
In my mind there are certain crimes, like forgery, that you can't do accidentally. Voting in two different districts is one of them. If it's true, the only excuse I could think of for someone to have is that they didn't know. If that is the case she isn't fit to be a councilperson. So, again-if it's true, she's either an outright lawbreaker or an idiot, neither fit for office.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Let's see how this is handled in the New Jersey Courts. Does Mrs. Lopez get a green light to serve as Councilwoman in Jersey City or not? There is a sense of entitlement on her part, like I can have everything in the candy store without paying because I'm me. Her husband said incredulously when asked by a reporter about this "Can't she have a summer home?". Wrong season Mr. Lopez.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
I've never read such a well-written editorial.

Ms. Loquat is simply perfect for a position in Hudson County. She clearly understands how elections work here, and is ready to churn us under the Democrap machine.

Congrats, Loquat!

Posted on: 2009/7/7 13:03

Councilwoman Lopez Breaks Election Law

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/10 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Tuesday, July 07, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Florida official: Lopez has broken voting laws

Newly sworn Jersey City Councilwoman Nidia Lopez has violated two Florida laws by being registered to vote in Orlando at the same time she's registered to vote in Jersey City and by voting in both places in 2003, Florida officials said yesterday.

Voters who submit false voter registration information or cast their ballots knowing they're not qualified to do so are guilty of third-degree felonies, said Jennifer Krell Davis, a spokeswoman for the Florida Division of Elections.

Third-degree felonies are punishable by up to a $5,000 fine and/or up to five years in prison, according to the Florida statutes.

But Krell said it would be up to police officials in Orlando to enforce these voting laws. Those officials could not be reached last night.

Lopez did not return a phone call for comment. Her attorney, William Northgrave, declined to speak about the subject, noting: "I'm not an expert on Florida law."

Lopez has been registered to vote in Orlando, Fla. - where she owns a four-bedroom home - since 1997. She only voted in Orlando once - in a special mayoral election in February 2003, when she voted by absentee ballot, Florida officials said.

In 2001, she married Ben Lopez, Hudson County's director of Family Services, said Northgrave.

That same year she registered to vote in Jersey City and has voted in every primary, general and municipal election since, according to a spokeswoman for the Hudson County Superintendent of Elections.

In 2003, Lopez voted in Jersey City in June and November after voting in Florida in February, officials said.

Last week, The Jersey Journal reported Florida officials are investigating whether or not Lopez improperly received tax exemptions for her Orlando home.

The investigation came to light after Jimmy King, who finished second to Lopez in May's municipal election in Ward C, filed a lawsuit in Hudson County Superior Court challenging Lopez's Jersey City residency.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 10:22

Re: Councilwoman Elect Lopez a Florida Resident?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
FLORIDA PROBES LOPEZ
Wants return of'09 tax rebate
Thursday, July 02, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Nidia R. Lopez, who was sworn in yesterday as Jersey City's Ward C councilwoman, is being investigated by state officials in Florida for claiming a tax break for her home there and is being asked to refund the state for a homestead rebate check she was sent this year, officials said yesterday.

In addition, Florida and New Jersey election officials confirmed yesterday that Lopez is registered to vote in both states.

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/jerse ... 46515997264120.xml&coll=3

She needs to be removed from her seat, and be charged with fraud.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
You also can have more than one residence for some purposes. What constitutes "residence" for purposes of declaring a tax exemption may be different than residence for purposes of voter registration.

With respect to voting, there have been cases concerning the eligibility of individuals to vote in one place when they were considered "residents" of another place by other records. Generally the courts have found that it is indeed possible to have multiple residences, although one can only register to vote at one of them.

Even if that's all true and good, there may be (and probably is) a law that if you run for an office, you have to officially be a primary resident of that county/state.

The people who don't like her could argue that she's not proud of JC. On the other hand, one could argue that she's money savvy and that's not a bad thing.

As much as I don't like Healy lap dogs, the people elected her, and really the only issue is if it's legal or not that she ran, and if not, what would the penalty be.

PS I find it funny I mistakenly wrote "wrong run" instead of "long run" above.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
JP - yes, there are different definitions for different purposes, but we aren't talking about someone's right to own multiple dwellings.

"Florida law requires homeowners who take the exemption to be permanent residents."

NJ also has a homestead tax exemption - she wouldn't be able to claim it in NJ if she's claimed it elsewhere. At least on the count of where she lives, it seems clear she didn't "live" here.

Perhaps there is a gigundous loophole in NJ election law that allows for this, but I can't imagine what the original intent behind it would have been. Why would you want to encourage people who don't live here to govern you?

Posted on: 2009/7/1 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I went to college in NY. My tuition was double because I was not a NYS resident. I even worked in NY during that time. Exceptions are for residents who live there. This also applies in Florida. To receive an exception and not be a resident is fraud.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2009/7/1 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
You also can have more than one residence for some purposes. What constitutes "residence" for purposes of declaring a tax exemption may be different than residence for purposes of voter registration.

With respect to voting, there have been cases concerning the eligibility of individuals to vote in one place when they were considered "residents" of another place by other records. Generally the courts have found that it is indeed possible to have multiple residences, although one can only register to vote at one of them.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Shadow wrote:
Dis she vote in both states in the last year? This will be very interesting.

Or did she even vote? Or vote Illegally?

As far as I see it, if it's true she either:

1. ran illegally

2. filed taxes illegally

or

3. it was the accountant, and even though it's her responsibility in the wrong run, I would give a little slack.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Dis she vote in both states in the last year? This will be very interesting.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 2:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
Is there a time period someone must be a Jersey City resident before they are eligible to run for office? I know for some states have a two year residency requirement before you can run for the legislature.

Obviously if she is still a resident of Florida she would be ineligible to run in New Jersey.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
time for a recall?

Posted on: 2009/7/1 0:35

Jersey City Councilwoman Nidia Lopez a Florida Resident?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/10 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Former council candidate claims councilwoman-elect is a Florida resident

By Matt Friedman, PolitickerNJ.com Reporter

Nidia R. LopezAn unsuccessful Jersey City council candidate claims that his former opponent is actually a resident of the Sunshine State.

Jimmy King, who lost an election for Jersey City council for Ward C in May, has filed suit against the ward?s winning candidate, councilwoman-elect Nidia Rivera Lopez, alleging that she has a residency issue that should keep her from serving.

King said that Lopez, who owns a house in Orlando, Fl. that is currently up for sale, very recently claimed property tax exemptions that required her to cite Florida as her primary residence. He also said she has a Florida driver?s license.

?In order to accept that you had to be a resident of Florida and a homesteader in Florida. She collected over 10 of them,? said King, who hired a private detective to investigate Lopez.

Property tax records available online show that Lopez, who used to have the last name Boehringer from a previous marriage, claimed a homestead exemption of $25,000 for 2008 on the 13-year-old Orlando home that was deeded to her by her ex-husband in 2000. A tax bill from November shows that she saved $277.09 from the exception.

Florida law requires homeowners who take the exemption to be permanent residents.

Lopez is set to be sworn in at tomorrow afternoon?s reorganization meeting, making her the city?s first Hispanic councilwoman. She will replace Councilman Steve Lipski, who opted not to run again after he was arrested for urinating from a balcony onto a crowd of spectators at a Washington, DC concert.

King said that his attorney, Alex Booth, has filed the complaint, but that he has not heard whether any date has been set for a hearing.

?I think she deceived me and deceived everybody around her by running. If she didn?t run, I would have been the winner, and I think she took advantage of me because I?m a senior citizen,? said King, who at 66 is seven years older than Lopez. ?I?d like to see her knocked off, obviously? and if she did commit a crime in Florida, she should face penalties like any other citizen.?

Lopez could not be reached for comment.

Matt Friedman is a PolitickerNJ.com Reporter and can be reached via email at matt@politicsnj.com.

http://www.politickernj.com/matt-frie ... hnically-florida-resident

Posted on: 2009/7/1 0:12

Edited by Webmaster on 2009/7/19 2:48:37

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact