Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 15 »

Re: More Traffic for Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

Why would the bridge create any more or any less traffic downtown?
I fail to see how ADDING an entrance / exit will INCREASE traffic.

The concern is that driving commuters on the Turnpike during the inbound rush will exit the Turnpike at 14B or Liberty Science Center and take the proposed bridge and local streets as a shortcut to the Holland Tunnel.

Already there are a lot of drivers who take the Columbus Drive exit to do exactly that. The Academy Bus to Wall Street routinely does that.

And the JC traffic engineers seem to encourage that behavior. They've programmed the lights on Columbus Drive eastbound to give priority to drivers turning left onto Jersey Ave., Erie and Marin.

Local street traffic already includes more commuters passing through JC on their way to the tunnel because of these features. A car bridge connecting Jersey Ave. to Phillip St. likely will make that worse.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not looking forward to the commute home. I take 14C exit and there is always a backup of cars driving onto Columbus. Not sure how many really live in DTJC or just bypassing it to get into the Holland Tunnel traffic queue.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Since none of you have read the 200+ posts in the "bridge" thread, I'll summarize once again. The explicit purpose of this bridge is to divert rush traffic to Downtown, as noted in the JCRA study "The main thrust of this effort is to relieve the Bergen Lafayette neighborhood of 5000 vehicular trips made daily by motorists which must travel through local streets to reach their destinations." So the idea is to get all the people who leave the tpk at exit 14B to get around the traffic at 14C to use Jersey instead of Pacific to get to Downtown and the Tunnel.

Anyone who pays attention to traffic issues knows this will never work. When you relieve pressure at one point in a system with vast demand, the demand will always fill the void as people choose to take a route that now offers less friction. You can lower the pressure in a bucket by adding another spigot, but not a dike on the ocean.

So the result will be that B-L will have the same traffic, that is to say bad to point it's barely worth the detour, while Downtown will have a big new flow onto local streets, entering at an already disastrous intersection of Jersey & Grand, that has a hospital and 2 schools, with several more nearby.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 22:13

Re: OPEN JERSEY AVENUE TO LIBERTY STATE PARK!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
From JJ comments:

Quote:
Hey Healy administration the study was already done by the JCRA in 2011. Duh?

Jersey City Redevelopment Agency : Jersey Avenue Extension Project

Project Description
The Jersey City Redevelopment Agency has recently completed a conceptual design and street improvement plan for the city?s Jersey Avenue Extension Project. The plan seeks to analyze how to best address constructing a segment of road to eliminate a "missing link" in the city?s street network. The completion of this segment of Jersey Avenue would greatly improve local circulation by allowing direct vehicular access to Jersey City?s commercial business district. The main thrust of this effort is to relieve the Bergen Lafayette neighborhood of 5000 vehicular trips made daily by motorists which must travel through local streets to reach their destinations. The proposed extension will virtually eliminate this "cut through" traffic without harming the commercial business district.

The study gave careful consideration to the design, capacity and alignment of the extension in order to preserve the character of the historic neighborhood located just north of Liberty State Park and to promote pedestrian and bicycle access to the park. When studying different extension scenarios, priority was given to local circulation over regional access.

The overall project approach incorporated a context sensitive design solution, the premise beginning with any new connection between Liberty State Park and downtown Jersey City does not become a desirable short cut for out-of-town commuters. In essence, any new extension solution must discourage through traffic by reducing speeds along the corridor.

The next step for the city to undertake is to make a decision on which of the four alternatives to endorse with input from the public and key stakeholders. Upon receiving approval from all parties the city will then more forward with preliminary and final designs of the corridor.

The Jersey City Redevelopment Agency continues to appreciate and recognize the efforts of those who have contributed to the Jersey Avenue Extension Study including the Jersey City Division of Planning, Engineers, Friends of Lifers and John Nue.

http://www.thejcra.org/index.php?p=project-details&pid=99

28 page detailed plan: (22MB)

http://jerseycitynj.gov/uploadedFiles ... 20Conceptual%20Design.pdf

Posted on: 2013/3/14 21:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
The last two weekends that I've gone it is still fenced off. If you cross the skate park and go left of the shipping container, you'll see several beaten paths where people have been cutting through the brush. If you skinny, you can probably walk along the fence line, but if you're with a bike like myself it easier to cut through the brush.

Why spend 18 million on a bridge when there's a perfectly good route that we could pave over and use right away?

Posted on: 2013/3/14 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
"Healy sits on the North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority, a Newark-based agency that distributes federal transportation funding. The NJTPA awarded the $500,000 grant.

In 2011 the city applied for, and didn't receive, an $18.4 million federal grant to fund creation of the Jersey Avenue extension. Currently, the roadway, which runs north and south through Downtown, ends just south of the Jersey City Medical Center."

I can find nothing questionable with the above two paragraphs from this article...

Posted on: 2013/3/14 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

What I originally said:
What about the poor people on Pacific that have had to deal with "through traffic on narrow B&L streets" for the last 30 years? Do they not deserve a respite from the traffic log jam on their street?
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
Invest that money in something useful, maybe in giving job training to the poor people you talk about.

You're right. Maybe the money should be spent on education, so you'd have a better grasp of the English language, including the varying definitions of "poor":

poor (pr)
adj. poor?er, poor?est
8. Eliciting or deserving pity; pitiable: couldn't rescue the poor fellow.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
This kind of waste will bring this country down some day. The chinese are not going to lend money forever!

Posted on: 2013/3/14 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
An additional roadway (from Downtown, no less, which is very accessible by foot via the coming soon footbridge) is a waste of money.

Driving to an urban park is also something that I find really silly.

Really? So the roadways through Central Park/ Prospect Park is a waste? Glad you are not a man in power.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
An additional roadway (from Downtown, no less, which is very accessible by foot via the coming soon footbridge) is a waste of money.

Driving to an urban park is also something that I find really silly.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
This is stupid. Driving 2 more blocks makes it inaccessible? Invest that money in something useful, maybe in giving job training to the poor people you talk about. If the money has to be invested in infrastructure, improve all the bad roads (which are everywhere) in the city!

Quote:
Capital improvements that increase access to the largest open space in Jersey City is a waste of money? Do you only deserve to visit LSP if you are on foot / bike / any other method of transportation other than a car? Shouldn't a State Park be accessible to the people of the state and not just the immediate community surrounding the park?

Posted on: 2013/3/14 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I really hope this doesnt become a roadway that would create more through traffic on narrow downtown streets!

Why would the bridge create any more or any less traffic downtown? Will more people buy cars as a result of the bridge? Will more cars drive up and down 9th street or around Paulus Hook because of the bridge?

Quote:
Besides worsening traffic downtown it is a waste of money

Capital improvements that increase access to the largest open space in Jersey City is a waste of money? Do you only deserve to visit LSP if you are on foot / bike / any other method of transportation other than a car? Shouldn't a State Park be accessible to the people of the state and not just the immediate community surrounding the park?

I fail to see how ADDING an entrance / exit will INCREASE traffic.

Quote:
you can drive in to liberty state park by just driving 2 blocks further west on grand...

What about the poor people on Pacific that have had to deal with "through traffic on narrow B&L streets" for the last 30 years? Do they not deserve a respite from the traffic log jam on their street?

Quote:
They should just rebuild the bike/foot path.

They are. Read the article again. The two will run parallel.

Quote:
BTW, is anyone else amazed that a study costs $500,000! The roadway would probably be less expensive than the study!

Actually, a roadway would cost about $18 million, or at least, that's what was requested several years ago to construct a road bridge that was ultimately not approved.

The NIMBYism of this bridge in DTJC is just outrageous.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 19:27

More Traffic for Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... o_study.html#incart_river

I really hope this doesnt become a roadway that would create more through traffic on narrow downtown streets! Besides worsening traffic downtown it is a waste of money since you can drive in to liberty state park by just driving 2 blocks further west on grand...

They should just rebuild the bike/foot path.

BTW, is anyone else amazed that a study costs $500,000! The roadway would probably be less expensive than the study!

Posted on: 2013/3/14 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City has won a $500,000 federal grant to study whether to extend Jersey Avenue over Mill Creek into Liberty State Park, part of $2.2 million awarded for capital projects statewide.

Link to story

Posted on: 2013/3/14 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The last two weekends that I've gone it is still fenced off. If you cross the skate park and go left of the shipping container, you'll see several beaten paths where people have been cutting through the brush. If you skinny, you can probably walk along the fence line, but if you're with a bike like myself it easier to cut through the brush.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Is that shortcut open again as of now? A previous poster reported it had been fenced off by the contractors installing the pipeline a few weeks ago. Update please.

Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
I've actually gotten pretty fond of cutting down Aetna Rd and across the skate park. It's a mini adventure where at any moment you can fall and get tetanus.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've actually gotten pretty fond of cutting down Aetna Rd and across the skate park. It's a mini adventure where at any moment you can fall and get tetanus.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 22:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I can report that YESTERDAY a pre-built bridge was brought out to the vicinity of the previous bridge. I can't confirm this is the same bridge alluded to in the email you quoted, but I was wondering about the pre-fab bridge that was seen yesterday and it jives perfectly with what you were told. Could it be we get a bridge BEFORE April?? I would be impressed. Maybe another "home run" for JC...

This is different from the flatbed trucks that have been there for some time with all those concrete slabs? (hopeful)

Man, I can't wait to get back over to the park... I love running and cycling over there!

Posted on: 2013/3/5 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Yes - thank God for the election! It could have been years, otherwise.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I can report that YESTERDAY a pre-built bridge was brought out to the vicinity of the previous bridge. I can't confirm this is the same bridge alluded to in the email you quoted, but I was wondering about the pre-fab bridge that was seen yesterday and it jives perfectly with what you were told. Could it be we get a bridge BEFORE April?? I would be impressed. Maybe another "home run" for JC...

During election years such miracles do happen! The mayoral and council election is May 14.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MarkCore wrote:
Where was/is/will be the location of said bridge? I only moved back to JC recently but am nearer the park this time. Thanks!

Proceed south on Jersey Ave, when you reach the very end, past the hospital and the gravel area, that's where the bridge was.

link

Posted on: 2013/3/5 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Where was/is/will be the location of said bridge? I only moved back to JC recently but am nearer the park this time. Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/3/5 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/5 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
I sent a copy of that email in January. Sent a follow up today and got the below reply from Rosemary McFadden:

"Yes, the Council passed the resolutions for the funding of the engineering firm and the purchase of the pre-fab bridge. The order has been placed and we expect delivery late April; with goal to have it open late spring/early summer

Thank you for your interest"

Quote:

adrachman wrote:
I just sent this email-- please feel free to cut and paste it -- or write your own.
rmcfadden@jcnj.org

Dear Ms. McFadden,

I write concerning the rebuilding of the footbridge connecting downtown Jersey City and Liberty State Park. Access to the park should be restored right away! Jersey City citizens have been deprived from their park for months and we have been left in the dark about a time frame for rebuilding it. Jersey City citizens want their park back. Loss of the park has significantly affected our quality of life and I urge you and the mayor to act fast! It would be a tragedy for Jersey City citizens to miss the first big snow in the park or flowers blooming in spring.

Thank you for your urgent attention to this matter.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
Good to have most of the park back, hopefully they'll keep it open past 5PM once we get into daylight savings time.

You got your wish. A sign just inside the park says it's now open till dusk. Today, sunset is 5:29, so a little after that.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
The old bridge looked like it cost about $7.50 to build.

Filling the canal upstream would probably not be a great idea in case of another tidal surge - if anything it should be extended and possibly end in a retention pond of some sort.

http://www.sustainablecitiesinstitute ... _Retention_Ponds_Overview

Lord knows the sewer system can't handle the extra water flow.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
This is the pipeline project. I went running during the week while they were putting stakes in the ground to mark out the digging. I asked one of the workers and he said that the work will take about a month in that area.

Went running in the park today and Freedom Way is clear and dry but the footpath parallel to Freedom Way is plowed only from the point were the access road to Ellis Island is to the southern end of the park. The walkway along the water is not plowed at all - still snow covered.

Good to have most of the park back, hopefully they'll keep it open past 5PM once we get into daylight savings time.

Posted on: 2013/2/10 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Bad news for fellow runners -- construction has blocked the "shortcut" we were able to take to get from downtown to Liberty State Park. Construction workers have put up a fence. At the moment, there are areas where you can hop over the fence, but I'm guessing they'll fix it. Plus, if they're doing construction there during the week, we won't be able to cut through.

Does anyone know what this construction is? It's close to the park-and-ride lot by the entrance to the park. I can't tell if this is a city project or private.

I'm really annoyed that this couldn't wait until the pedestrian bridge was fixed. It's now a much longer walk/run to get to the park, and will be so until at least Memorial Day (and probably longer).

Posted on: 2013/2/10 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
In all likelihood, filling in the ~150 yards of creek upstream of the bridge can only have a positive environmental impact. I pity any creatures that make the filth spewing forth from that pipe their home. Maybe some day Jersey City will install a modern storm sewage system, but I wouldn't hold my breath -- oh wait, I have to when crossing that bridge.

Quote:

kellyh wrote:
Quote:

jcmiles wrote:
That quote is an obscene amount of money, for a "temporary" bridge which has no suspension engineering at all. The road is coming in maybe 2 years tops.

Why not just fill in a pathway using rocks/dirt from nearby excavation projects?? create an earthen path, then just add an asphalt or rock path on top of it with fencing??

The canal is used for nothing in that section and will most likely be filled in anyway.

The Mill Creek Sewer outfall is just upstream from the bridge.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 18:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/25 1:25
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcmiles wrote:
That quote is an obscene amount of money, for a "temporary" bridge which has no suspension engineering at all. The road is coming in maybe 2 years tops.

Why not just fill in a pathway using rocks/dirt from nearby excavation projects?? create an earthen path, then just add an asphalt or rock path on top of it with fencing??

The canal is used for nothing in that section and will most likely be filled in anyway.

The Mill Creek Sewer outfall is just upstream from the bridge.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 17:44

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 15 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017