Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: Council person Osborne presents Pedestrian plan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:
john1952 wrote:
Do this and do that. Did Jersey City strike oil or discover a gold mine. Go out and cut spending first and get grants.

Otherwise, we cannot afford this. This council forgets that we cannot handle anymore tax increases. Period. I thought they knew that during the last election. I thought they said they could cut spending. Has the Healy budget become the new normal?

In the past seven years, four people have been killed in traffic-related incidents within six blocks of my home (two pedestrians, one bicyclist and a passenger in a car.) How can we afford not to do this?

Any plan is better than no plan and I'm thrilled to finally see someone putting effort into this matter since the problem is getting worse as the years go on. The key is to obtain as much federal and state grants as possible. Jersey City sees nothing from The Port Authority of NY & NJ even though our roads and neighborhoods are greatly impacted from the Holland Tunnel.

As La_Verdad stated "how can we afford not to do this?"

Posted on: 2013/9/10 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Anybody remember this incident? The guy lived and the driver, a teenager from Bayonne, eventually turned himself in. Scary stuff and very typical behavior in this city. Light turns red, cars and buses still in intersection and a bad driver runs the light.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
john1952 wrote:
Do this and do that. Did Jersey City strike oil or discover a gold mine. Go out and cut spending first and get grants.

Otherwise, we cannot afford this. This council forgets that we cannot handle anymore tax increases. Period. I thought they knew that during the last election. I thought they said they could cut spending. Has the Healy budget become the new normal?

In the past seven years, four people have been killed in traffic-related incidents within six blocks of my home (two pedestrians, one bicyclist and a passenger in a car.) How can we afford not to do this?

Posted on: 2013/9/10 3:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I can't honestly say I've come across egregious pedestrian behavior when I'm driving. If someone happens to jaywalk, I slow down and let them cross the street. No big deal, because I accept that I live in a densely populated city and I shouldn't be going faster than 25 mph anyway. If I see a yellow light, I actually slow down and stop rather than floor it to try to beat the light. I know this doesn't make me popular with other drivers, but screw them. This is the city I live in, and how I want drivers to behave starts with me.... Now, bicyclists, on the other hand... They really need to start cracking down on the wankers who bike on sidewalks and against the flow of traffic!

Posted on: 2013/9/10 2:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Jaded, I agree with you on all counts. But, like I said, it's a very one-sided approach. The pedestrians in this area are complete schmucks, just as much as the drivers are insane. This proposal is a great first step. But much is left to be done to keep the walking folks (on the Chevro-legs, get it? lol) in line as well.

Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
In all my years living in JC, I think I can count all the driveways I've seen in the downtown historic districts on the fingers of both hands. I'm not sure they enhance the value of the properties - most of them look like half-assed illegal curb cuts and are about as aesthetically pleasing as the chain-link fencing that usually come with such properties. The only nice one I've seen is that row house on Barrow, just south of Montgomery, with the garage that looks too small to even fit a Mini Cooper, so I'm not even sure if the driveway can even actually be used.

As someone who just got a car earlier this year, I want to applaud Candice's proposal. Yes, please make it as inconvenient for me to drive around JC as possible. I don't mind at all. All the latest real-estate marketing studies show that communities that promote walkable, pedestrian friendly business districts actually enhance property values in the area.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
In all my years living in JC, I think I can count all the driveways I've seen in the downtown historic districts on the fingers of both hands. I'm not sure they enhance the value of the properties - most of them look like half-assed illegal curb cuts and are about as aesthetically pleasing as the chain-link fencing that usually come with such properties. The only nice one I've seen is that row house on Barrow, just south of Montgomery, with the garage that looks too small to even fit a Mini Cooper, so I'm not even sure if the driveway can even actually be used.

As someone who just got a car earlier this year, I want to applaud Candice's proposal. Yes, please make it as inconvenient for me to drive around JC as possible. I don't mind at all. All the latest real-estate marketing studies show that communities that promote walkable, pedestrian friendly business districts actually enhance property values in the area.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

jklm wrote:
City of Jersey City/JCPA needs to raise the yearly residential zone Permit Parking from $15 to something approaching $100 - then we can try to pay the officers needed to enforce the permit parking 16 hours a day, 365 days a year.

That's silly, all we need is the JCPA to have the productivity of any other citys parking agency, then they would be filling the city's coffers in addition to paying their own way. Get rid of the clowns like that guy who was a full time JCPA supervisor AND a full time teacher. He's a poster child for how the city is viewed by the "old school" as nothing but a cow to be milked.

Hopefully JCPA will combine resources with the Police Dept. - that JCPA supervisor could be out of a second job.
Fees for the privilege to park on Jersey City streets should come from vehicle owners. What's the point of creating permit parking without enforcement? Someone has to pay for this, why not the car owners instead of the property owners? Right now the city also gets a portion of the violation $$ collected, right?

Posted on: 2013/9/10 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

The driveway tax is a retarded idea. Just because you are too poor to afford a home with a driveway in DTJC, you are going to tax people who have one. Nice. I suggest you get a better job.

That's the best you can come up with, thinking I'm poor? Just trying to find ways to pay the city's bills - those driveways take up the same amount if not more than single car.

Curious - what does it cost the property owner to get a driveway?

A home with a driveway significantly increases the property value of the home - esp in dtjc. Higher property value homes = higher taxes.

But you know what, I'm sorry. This is what we should do:

1. Turn 10% of the roads to pedestrian only plazas

2. Make the rest of the roads toll roads

3. Remove all traffic lights and replace lights with stop signs!

4. Reclaim all parking lots and turn them into homeless shelters

5. Reclaim all driveways and turn them into artist dens!

6. If all the above do not work, think of other things to alienate the tax paying, middle income residents of Ward E!

I call it the 6 point plan to return DTJC back to glory

Posted on: 2013/9/10 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

If you want to only side with pedestrians over drivers then the current approach works great!

I think that's right. Jersey City needs to prioritize pedestrian safety over automobile convenience. Things like the "Delayed Walk" at Columbus and Grove are precisely what we need to get rid of. Yes, some pedestrians do cross when it says "Don't Walk" because that is a heavily walked intersection by the main transit hub for downtown, and some people assume that they can go on a green light. I don't, but I do know of people not familiar with the area who are baffled when they first see that they have to wait a prolonged period of time for automobiles to go north-south when that is the direction they are working in.

Perhaps a "delayed green" (allowing walkers to cross the street first) or simply a "yield to pedestrians" sign would be more effective and safer.

Anyway, most people who are pedestrians are also drivers and vice-versa. I have a car, as does just about everyone that attended the meeting with Candice in Gulls Cove/Liberty Harbor. So yes, driver input was solicited.

How do you get to "most people who are pedestrians are also drivers"? Did you also conduct a vigorous study? Did you survey a whopping .018% of residents?

I don't know the exact numbers but there is around 43,000 people in Ward E. SHE GOT 800 RESPONDENTS FOR AN AMAZING .018% of Ward E. Yay to assumptions.

What would be fair is to carry out the rules that relate to both drivers (ticketing, fines, etc.) and also to pedestrians (fines for jaywalking and not obeying traffic signals).

At the end of the day, even if you walk across the street on a green light and a car hits you, it's the driver and not the pedestrian's fault.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

The driveway tax is a retarded idea. Just because you are too poor to afford a home with a driveway in DTJC, you are going to tax people who have one. Nice. I suggest you get a better job.

That's the best you can come up with, thinking I'm poor? Just trying to find ways to pay the city's bills - those driveways take up the same amount if not more than single car.

Curious - what does it cost the property owner to get a driveway?

Posted on: 2013/9/10 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jklm wrote:
City of Jersey City/JCPA needs to raise the yearly residential zone Permit Parking from $15 to something approaching $100 - then we can try to pay the officers needed to enforce the permit parking 16 hours a day, 365 days a year.

That's silly, all we need is the JCPA to have the productivity of any other citys parking agency, then they would be filling the city's coffers in addition to paying their own way. Get rid of the clowns like that guy who was a full time JCPA supervisor AND a full time teacher. He's a poster child for how the city is viewed by the "old school" as nothing but a cow to be milked.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
City of Jersey City/JCPA needs to raise the yearly residential zone Permit Parking from $15 to something approaching $100 - then we can try to pay the officers needed to enforce the permit parking 16 hours a day, 365 days a year. Make downtown permit parking 8am-midnight, 7 days a week, especially near the PATH.
I suggest making those with driveways pay a yearly fee as well (less parking spaces because of the driveway) if they don't already.

Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Resident parking fee is 15$ for a valid annual parking sticker and the DMV requires you to get a NJ license within 60 days of establishing residence fyi. It's not someone complaining...those are the rules.

Quote:

tern wrote:
If they live there, then they are entitled to park there, they aren't making things any worse than they would be if they followed the rules.

All your complaining will achieve is forcing them to register their car in NJ and pay more insurance.

How will you be any better off?

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
City of Jersey City/JCPA needs to raise the yearly residential zone Permit Parking from $15 to something approaching $100 - then we can try to pay the officers needed to enforce the permit parking 16 hours a day, 365 days a year. Make downtown permit parking 8am-midnight, 7 days a week, especially near the PATH.
I suggest making those with driveways pay a yearly fee as well (less parking spaces because of the driveway) if they don't already.

Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Resident parking fee is 15$ for a valid annual parking sticker and the DMV requires you to get a NJ license within 60 days of establishing residence fyi. It's not someone complaining...those are the rules.

Quote:

tern wrote:
If they live there, then they are entitled to park there, they aren't making things any worse than they would be if they followed the rules.

All your complaining will achieve is forcing them to register their car in NJ and pay more insurance.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
The City put those cheap, white plastic rumble strips near my home. They do absolutely nothing to slow down the traffic and, less than a year later, they are all pretty much broken. Completely and absolutely useless. They do make a lot of noise, though.

I agree that speed humps work, but the cheapie plastic rumble strips will do nothing.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
It is the council person's job to represent their district. I would venture that 9 out of 10 idiots speeding through DTJC do not live or pay taxes in DTJC.

It makes perfect sense that pedestrians get more out of the deal as that is the resident tax base for the most part.

Why should DTJC be a speedway for suburban commuters? As it is, pedestrians have to push a crosswalk button to get extra time to cross most streets. That is ridiculous. Every traffic light should be synchronized with the crosswalk signals. Pedestrians are completely on the short end of the deal in DTJC and these measures will start to level the playing field.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

tern wrote:

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 22:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
I hope they do something about the raceway known as Monmouth St between Newark Ave northbound to Hoboken. I think everyone is tired of the horrible drivers racing through our neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

If you want to only side with pedestrians over drivers then the current approach works great!

I think that's right. Jersey City needs to prioritize pedestrian safety over automobile convenience. Things like the "Delayed Walk" at Columbus and Grove are precisely what we need to get rid of. Yes, some pedestrians do cross when it says "Don't Walk" because that is a heavily walked intersection by the main transit hub for downtown, and some people assume that they can go on a green light. I don't, but I do know of people not familiar with the area who are baffled when they first see that they have to wait a prolonged period of time for automobiles to go north-south when that is the direction they are working in.

Perhaps a "delayed green" (allowing walkers to cross the street first) or simply a "yield to pedestrians" sign would be more effective and safer.

Anyway, most people who are pedestrians are also drivers and vice-versa. I have a car, as does just about everyone that attended the meeting with Candice in Gulls Cove/Liberty Harbor. So yes, driver input was solicited.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VVPANEWS wrote:
Just to note, Candice did listen to the members of the Van Vorst Park Association which straddles both Wards E & F. Jersey Ave was mentioned as a major issue and she promised to address it.

Great to hear!

Posted on: 2013/9/9 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Why not just make Newark ave between Grove and Erie a pedestrian plaza, like how Times square has been ( or will be).

The folks on Barrow, between Newark and Columbus, might not be too keen on this plan.

Why not?

All that traffic headed East on Newark is gonna have to go somewhere.

What folks? There is really not much on that section of Barrow other than a gym, a barbershop, a small store and one small building.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Why not just make Newark ave between Grove and Erie a pedestrian plaza, like how Times square has been ( or will be).

The folks on Barrow, between Newark and Columbus, might not be too keen on this plan.

Why not?

All that traffic headed East on Newark is gonna have to go somewhere.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Four way stop sign needed at 8 and Manila !

Posted on: 2013/9/9 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
btw, nothing in your presentation Candice talked about increasing ticketing to jaywalkers and people who cross columbus on a green light trying to re-enact frogger....huge problem, especially during the morning.

If you want to be fair to both drivers and pedestrians, then get both sides of the story.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Vigilante is right. Legally, you have to re-register when you move, with a certain time frame (I don't recall what it is). People that don't do this are part of the problem when it comes to NJ insurance being so high.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's great to see a plan that affects drivers so much has a lot of driver input..oh wait.

You're approach was to survey 800 people (is that even .1% of dtjc?) do a street audit, and get pedestrian complaints about drivers?

How about you do an assessment of how many families in Ward E have cars? Many Ward E residents have moved to DTJC cause they want a car and can't afford to maintain a car in Manhattan or Brooklyn.

DTJC should be safe and friendly to both cars and pedestrians....can we strike a balance here?

Ward E is not quite Chelsea yet and I fear you are alienating many families in your district

Posted on: 2013/9/9 17:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/9 14:13
Group:
Registered Users
Just to note, Candice did listen to the members of the Van Vorst Park Association which straddles both Wards E & F. Jersey Ave was mentioned as a major issue and she promised to address it.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tern wrote:

Robin.

If they don't want to register in NJ (Legally they are supposed to) or get a valid permit or declare their residency then they should not be rewarded. Let them get lot parking so real residents can park.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
agree with the 24 hour parking enforcement. My block has a ton of people who have out of state tags and game the system quite effectively. Pretty annoying, especially since DTJC is getting more crowded with cars...

Posted on: 2013/9/9 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Is there anyway to convert the PATH entrance on the Marin side to be serve as a pedestrian passage? So many cars turning onto Marin makes it difficult to cross the street safely.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 15:44

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017