Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

Re: You know you're a JC old-timer if you remember...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

Blumpkin wrote:
the genius who dropped the bowling ball from 139 onto 1-9 traffic and killed an infant. i wonder if he is still locked up.

Oh man... that was terrible. I hope he is. I remember that and the poor couple drove their battered baby to St. Francis which was the first hospital sign they saw as they drove another half mile. I believe a friend of his turned him in to the police.

Up until just a few years ago, there were remnants of a memorial on State Highway.

I had heard they never caught the guy. glad I was mistaken.

Youth Held in Death from Bowling Ball - NYT 1994

Posted on: 2011/3/10 5:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/9 8:04
Group:
Registered Users
Lex Leonard.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 4:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/30 1:57
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

Blumpkin wrote:
the genius who dropped the bowling ball from 139 onto 1-9 traffic and killed an infant. i wonder if he is still locked up.

Oh man... that was terrible. I hope he is. I remember that and the poor couple drove their battered baby to St. Francis which was the first hospital sign they saw as they drove another half mile. I believe a friend of his turned him in to the police.

Up until just a few years ago, there were remnants of a memorial on State Highway.

The good ole sucked sometimes too. A friend of mine was stabbed to death in outside of Hamilton Park coming home from a school dance in the late 1970's. He was good kid with a lot of promise.

I also remember the "grave robbers" desecrating the crypts at Harsimus Cometary. Sad.

Was the death of your friend reported in one of the local newspapers? A friend of mine who was a pre-teen was "accidently" shot by a relative when I lived in JC in the mid-'70s. The death of my friend was quite a shock to me. To my knowledge, her death was never reported by the local newspapers. Perhaps there are there too many murders occurring in JC for the newspapers to report all of them. I sometimes wonder if some people are considered unimportant so their deaths are not reported by the newspapers. Did the police ever find out how your friend?s death occurred?

The article below discusses the desecration of graves in JC?s Vroom Street Cemetery in the 1970?s.

"Speaking Personally: Jersey City's Yesterdays" (NY Times; October 10, 1976)

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac ... +CITY%27s+yesterdays&st=p

The article below describes an incident which occurred in Van Vorst Park in Jersey City in 1974.
I do not recall reading about this incident in any local newspaper.

"The Miracle of Flower Power" (Reader's Digest; September 1976)

http://www.speaknj.com/Reader's%20Digest.pdf
(cut & paste web link)

Posted on: 2011/3/10 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
the skate shop in midtown liquors!

Posted on: 2011/3/9 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
You know you're an old-timer if you remember the dilapidated Shop Rite on the site where the Leviathan known as the Cali Building stands.

Posted on: 2011/3/8 13:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/30 1:57
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
How about when the main county road was called Hudson Boulevard, and the buses that ran along it were the #1 from JSQ to Nunguessers, and the #5 for Nyc. Also when the Central Ave. bus was brown and it ran through the Western Slope in the Heights.

Oh yeah... smelliest busses of all time. I think that the Central Avenue line was privately owned and up until 1980 ran a few old busses that were built in the 1950's.

With all of this nostalgia, let's not forget that some Jersey City's Puritan laws and overt racism. My family had a brick thrown through our front window because we were the first Latino family in our neighborhood. The police also pulled my father out of a car in front of our home and beat him during a cold winter day. Pretty tough for a four year old son to watch.

"Coloreds" weren't allowed in my neighborhood. I thought my first name was "hey spic" and I also had to sprint home from Sunday school so the Irish and Italian kids wouldn't kick my Puerto Rican butt after we said our seven Hail Marys.

There were also wonderful people in my neighborhood who defended my family against thugs, and were very supportive when my dad lost his job in the 1960's. Despite some of the problems, everyone was on the front stoop of their homes and there was a real sense of involvement in the community. There was always one community leader who got the city to provide a bus for a day trip to the shore or Lake Hopatcong.

Strangely, years later, some of those same Irish and Italian kids who chased me home from Sunday school happen to be good friends of mine.

JC had a much more liberal environment in regards to ethnic relations in the mid-'70s than what you described which occurred previous to the 1970s. Despite the problems the city had in the '70s, I'm glad that I lived in JC during the ?70s rather than previously. I never realized that there were strained ethnic relations in Jersey City in earlier decades. However, the situation in Jersey City in regards to ethnic relations was not very different from the situation in NYC. The movie ?West Side Story? (1961) portrays ethnic divisions in NYC in a previous time. Perhaps the people who didn't treat you well when you were younger are older now. They probably view the world & other people in a different way now since they are older.

You wrote: "'Coloreds' weren't allowed in my neighborhood." How were your neighbors keeping black people out of the neighborhood? Were they threatening to beat them up?

Posted on: 2011/3/8 8:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
No Offense Woodsurgeon but Laico's is still in business as is Mr Softee. Most of these places are recently closed.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 22:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/24 19:59
Group:
Registered Users
How about remembering:
Laico's Restaurant
The Stadium on Audubon Avenue
The Roosevelt Stadium Marina
The Muskrats behind the Roosevelt Stadium
The Watershed Towers Behind Roosevelt Stadium
The Kreges Factory by Roosevelt Bowling Lanes and Pathmark where they assemplied war planes for WWII.
Bayonne Pool on the Blvd.
The Ice House on Mallory
The Fruit and Vegetable Trucks that rode around Neighborhoods and the Knife Sharpener Man and the Amusement Ride Truck
Mr. Softie and Good Humor Truck
The Mongomery/Westside Bus was originally owned by Picardi who was my Mom's Uncle.
How about all the Shoemen that fixed shoes, boots and leather including my Grandfather.
How about all the butcher shops and breadstores/Bakeries
The Bakery on Jackson Avenue near Sacred Heart Church made the Best Cream Donuts in this Universe.
St. Francis Hospital, Greenville Hospital, J.C. Medical Center, Margaret Hague Maternity Hospital, Christ Hospital and the Bayonne Hospital.
Audubon Park, Lincoln Park, Bayonne Park
Recreational Basketball in Public Schools
The State, Stanley, Lowes and Pix Theaters
Robert Hall was a stand alone building on Route 440 between Great Eastern and Roosevelt Lanes or Pathmark
All the Automobile Dealers on the Blvd. & Communipaw Avenues
Country Village and Sullivan Drive
Greenville Memorial Home
The War Barrick Homes by Cityline near Kerrywoods.
The Minature Golf 21 holes on real green turf on Rte 440.
The Airplane Carrier called the WASP before it was dismantled by the shipyards.
more to come

Posted on: 2011/2/24 20:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/25 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
*Ducky's on Newark ave
*Ann Schnieders bakery nxt door.
*Tripoli Restaurant a few blocks north on Newark.
*Jacobs deli on Baldwin
*Tuffys on Central acrross from pershing field

Posted on: 2011/2/24 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Mr. S on State Highway & Central ave,
Starting on Bay and wroking towards Newark ave was,
Staloff Hardward ( La Conga) A Material store that eventually moved accross the street and became several short lived stores before becomming the 1st Tanyas. Next Lucy Wolf (Stanleys Clothes). Next was the Mendez Agency and El Cuyon restaurant. Chinese restaurant was where the Aibonito Aces bar,next to them was a Car parts store, that was eventually sold to Willar furniture,and the corner building housed a Commercial Trust Branch that closed and only was just recently renovated. Going back to Bay street and going towards Newark ave, again was a Polish Deli,grocery combination with almost no product, next was Neumans furniture that housed the next thre business's that are there now, Jewelry,pizza, and J Nails. The material store before turning over was a Paint store B.Moore if I can remember. Morllees was located on Newark & Grove and it was known as Murray Walters clothe store. To many open and closed stores to remember between Murray's and Waldsteins another cloth store. In between there was Hudson Camera, a Medical Operation, parking lot. and a Little Further down you had Jersey City Tobacco, a large warehouse for distributing candy,cigarettes, and other
candy store items. Next to them Red Cross store and churchs chicken, and that became a parking lot. JC Tobacco also became a gym in between. Then Grove Pointe ended everything there.The newer Hudson camera was a Thom Mcann shoe store. On the north west corner of Newark & grove was a Clothes store, sorry I can't remember the name off hand.Very colorful character owned it.

The Triangle restaurant on Monmouth & Newar was served by elderly twin sisters, that was a great place. Sorry I am writing a things are popping up in my head. The Palace theatre where the parking lot is next tp Place Drugs, and the Western Diner on the left of the parking lot. The Central ave Theatre off of Sherman Place and the Ritz theatre up around Bowers Street. There was one of the 1st Chinese restaurants on a second foor.

There you go for now.

Posted on: 2011/2/23 20:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/23 2:17
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey City Pickle Works on Jefferson Avenue;

Hudson Rock Beverages on Hopkins Avenue;

Archie's (candy store) on Baldwin Avenue (IIRC);

Isabella's at Oakland and Beacon Avenues;

The F.W. Woolworth's at 335-337 Central Avenue.

Posted on: 2011/1/4 7:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/29 1:31
Group:
Registered Users
Some more memories:
Bruno's Restaurant on Summit Avenue
High School Field on Montgomery Street
The Fulton and the Monticello Theaters
The second floor bowling alley on the corner of Monticello and Communipaw Avenues
Fiore's home made ravioli and fresh mozzarella on Newark Avenue
Shopping districts on Jackson and Ocean Avenues
Packenham's Funeral Home on Arlington Avenue
The tuxedo rental on Monticello Avenue
Rocky Pope's All Star Sports Store on Bergen Avenue
American Can Company
Airco and the Westinghouse Elevator Division on Pacific Avenue
St Michael's High School
When almost everyone you knew had worked at the "Print" at one time in their lives
Manna's, Faccone's and the Keyhole Restaurants on First Street
Cas Rutkowski's Jersey Journal Sports articles
The Prep-Dickinson Thanksgiving Day football game at Roosevelt Stadium
Fifty five cent slices at Three Guys from Italy on the Square

Posted on: 2011/1/3 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wavz13/s ... 79761251/with/4224114880/

Found these old photos on flickr. Some incredible looks at old Jersey City.

Wow! Thanks for posting this link. What a treasure for JC History buffs!

Posted on: 2010/12/31 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wavz13/s ... 79761251/with/4224114880/

Found these old photos on flickr. Some incredible looks at old Jersey City.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
When Grove St used to be called Beach St and Kellogg St (the mid point was Grand St)

Posted on: 2010/12/5 1:35
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

aguy wrote:
I meant to say Glenwood, not Highland, and yes, I know the name changes when it is east of Bergen, but I forget what it is.

Mercer & Wayne respectively.

Posted on: 2010/12/5 1:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/4 1:59
Group:
Registered Users
I meant to say Glenwood, not Highland, and yes, I know the name changes when it is east of Bergen, but I forget what it is.

Posted on: 2010/12/5 1:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/4 1:59
Group:
Registered Users
The site of Hudson Catholic, the block bordered by Bergen, Tuers, Montgomery and Highland, was where the circus made its annual visit to Jersey City. It was a "tent show", entirely under canvas, raised by the roustabouts goading the elephants into pulling the tents up into place. I remember it well in the mid to late 30s. I thnk only the start of WWII ended that.

At the southwest corner of that property, roughly where the empty kiosk now sits was a small hut of roughly the same footprint. There was door at two ends. The trolley cars that ran along Bergen and those that traversed the city along Montgomery, would turned into the tracks that circled the hut.

At Journal Sq, what is now the parking lot just east of the main HC Community College building, was the large circle where the trolley cars would pull in and discharge pax who were connecting to the escalator that ran from northwest corner of that area, down into the Hudson and Manhattan Tubes (now the PATH).

One day, maybe 10/15 years ago, the abandoned motor of the escalator, whose entrance which had simply been planked over and then covered with asphalt, caught fire and was sending smoke billowing up. Apparently the electrical panel had never been totally dismantled and salt water used in snow removal on the lot had seeped in and shorted out the lines, starting the underground fire

The firemen on the scene were reluctant to tear open the ground. I heard the lieutenant wonder aloud, "What the f is under there that could be burning?" Another was trying to radio the parking lot owner to find out what he might know.

They were worried there might be something down there that would explode. They were relieved when I told them what it was and then traced out the area that it used to follow so they knew in which direction to work.

Another abandoned passage went under the boulevard bridge from a doorway just to the north side of the Loews. The passage went to the same Tube station. It allowed commuters coming from that side, to avoid the danger of crossing the boulevard.

Finally, there was a ramp-like enclosed bridge that connected Magnolia Ave from roughly where the phone company has its parking lot opposite the Dunkin Donuts, off Summit, also going down, across the tracks, into the lower concourse of the Tube station.

All gone now.

Posted on: 2010/12/5 1:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/3 5:13
Group:
Registered Users
The number 16 Public Service bus to the Square
The Star Tavern on Newark Ave by the train tracks. Awesome roast beef sandwiches.
The Grateful Dead at the Stanley Theater
The Butterfly record and 'head shop' at the square
The Columbus statue being in the middle of Kennedy Blvd across from the Loew's
Charlie Budd's music store on Bergen Ave

Posted on: 2010/12/3 5:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/10/15 20:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/15 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Opening Day of Baseball with the Jersey Giants, Mayor Hague closed down all public schools to a half day, afternoon half was closed, so that any child was allowed to go to the game free as long as he had a written note from parents. The PS busses would be parked at the school and load all that was going to the game, when you got on you would get a bleecher ticket for the game and a ice cream pop on a stick, where you got dropped off you were picked up and taken back to the school, and I never heard of losing any kid.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 18:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/29 1:05
Group:
Registered Users
I remember when you could not fathom the idea of tearing down the Embankment...Environmental Impact Study....

Posted on: 2010/10/4 23:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DragonXJC wrote:
Great thread!
A few from Greenville:
-jumping on the back (on top of the bumper) Bergen/Local buses and see how far we could get.
-Bradlees on 440
- Shoprite right across from it.

And the Robert Hall mens clothing store at the 440 plaza before it was a mall.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 22:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The JC Gardens on Ogden ave where the fights were had every Tuesday night.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 22:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
De Monicos Duncan Horse Riding Acadamy on Duncan Ave and Highway, where the Apt buildings are now.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 22:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Great thread!

A few from Greenville:

-jumping on the back (on top of the bumper) Bergen/Local buses and see how far we could get.

-Bradlees on 440

- Shoprite right across from it.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HudsonCity wrote:
.......If you remember the old, simple but nice white with black letters/numerals street signs that were at each corner. I think these street signs were a Jersey City icon in the days before the present street signs.

i think i still have childhood photos laying around where prospect street at palisade ave still had them. i think there's still a few floating around on side streets in the heights.

Posted on: 2010/4/11 7:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/12 12:15
Group:
Registered Users
Do you remember JGE Wholesale on Morton Pl

If you are a member of any city, state, or federal union I can get it for you wholesale

JERRY

Posted on: 2010/4/10 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HudsonCity wrote:
.......If you remember the old, simple but nice white with black letters/numerals street signs that were at each corner. I think these street signs were a Jersey City icon in the days before the present street signs.

Yes I remember them well. They lasted pretty long up he in the Heights I was sure I still saw some of them into the 21st century. For some reason I saw them on Hudson Boulevard. Perhaps the county didn't kick in their portion of the money for the change over.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 9:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/18 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

soulman wrote:
Close but no cigar. It was Food Fair.

Nope. I have never in my life shopped in a place called "Food Fair." I have, on hundreds of occasions, been dragged as a child by my mother to the Food Town on West Side Avenue by the Miss America Diner and Jersey City State.

Nice try, though.

Anyone remember when it was Pantry Pride.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 3:24

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017