Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 16 »

Re: Unleashed Mastiffs Attack JC Man Downtown this Morning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think anyone would disagree with you, but once dogs attack humans, no rehab wants to run the risk they do it again. The thing is, even the Vick rehab in Utah is only for dog-on-dog aggression.

Posted on: 2009/3/7 12:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'd hate to see these dogs euthanized because they were raised by a bad owner and grew up in an urban area where they didn't belong in the first place.

I don't know how old these dogs are, but maybe they could get rehabilitated in a place/space by people who could deal with them?

Posted on: 2009/3/7 8:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/2 23:04
Group:
Banned
Owner of Downtown Jersey City dogs accused in attacks due back in court today
by Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
Friday March 06, 2009, 12:35 PM

A date could be set in municipal court this afternoon for the trial to decide if two pet dogs tied to several Downtown Jersey City attacks will be euthanized under the state Vicious Dog Law.

The South African boerboels' owner, Susan Kolb, has asked for a trial to defend the animals and keep them from being killed.

At a hearing last Friday she told Municipal Court Judge Nesle Rodriguez that she would be represented by a new lawyer today.

The proceedings have been delayed several times as Kolb's previous attorney waited to get documents he needed in the discovery process.

Today's pre-trial hearing is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Jersey City Justice Complex, 365 Summit Ave., off Journal Square.

The allegations and Kolb's explanations of them in an interview with The Jersey Journal are as follows:

Jonathan L. Rodriguez, 24, of Brunswick Street, was injured Jan. 19 at Washington Street and Christopher Columbus Drive. He said Kolb unleashed the dogs and they ran across the street and tore into his arm. Kolb said the dogs got away from her.

James Joyce, 24, said he needed six stitches after being attacked Jan. 9 by the dogs at Warren and Morris streets. Kolb said Joyce was not injured.

On Sept. 21, at the park at Greene and Essex streets, police said the two dogs knocked down a woman and the 6-month-old child she was carrying. Kolb said it was an enclosed park and she let the dogs loose because she thought it was empty.

After The Jersey Journal published a story about the dogs in January, law enforcement received a number of calls from residents telling of other incidents that may have involved the dogs.

The male dog weighs about 160 pounds, the female about 100 pounds.

They were impounded after the last incident and have been at held at the Liberty Humane Society near Liberty State Park.

Kolb has complained that officials at the Humane Society have barred her from visiting the dogs and the judge has requested that a representative of the organization explain why.

Posted on: 2009/3/7 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Financial Compensation is what I'm all about - kid goes to the 'sin bin' and the parent coughs up the coins for damage, graffiti, medical bills etc - As a dog, a kid is for life or until he is no longer a minor !

Posted on: 2009/3/6 23:26
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I'm all for dog owners being made accountable for their dogs actions. Now lets take the next step and make parents accountable (financially) for their children's action until they are no longer minors.

Hey FAB, are you a Heinlein fan? In Starship Troopers he advocated public flogging, and the parent of a convicted minor to be flogged alongside the kid. This woman sounds like flogging would do her some good.

Would either plan really work as a deterrent? At least flogging can be done even if (as most likely) the family doesn't have a pot to piss in.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'm all for dog owners being made accountable for their dogs actions. Now lets take the next step and make parents accountable (financially) for their children's action until they are no longer minors.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 22:31
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know what happened today?

Posted on: 2009/3/6 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
I think the hearing was postponed to yesterday-does anyone know what happened?

Dogs getting new lawyer; next hearing Friday
Saturday, February 28, 2009

Determining the fates of two allegedly vicious South African boerboels inched closer at a court hearing yesterday when the owner's attorney said prosecutors had provided him with all documents necessary to move forward.

The dogs have been tied to at least three attacks in Downtown Jersey City resulting in four people needing medical attention, officials said. The dogs' owner, Susan Kolb, has asked for a trial to defend the animals and keep them from being killed.

Proceedings were delayed twice as Kolb's attorney, Jonathan Goodman, waited to get documents he needed in the discovery process.

Yesterday, he informed the judge that Kolb is switching lawyers. The parties will be back in court next Friday at 1 p.m.

Jonathan L. Rodriguez, 24, of Brunswick Street, was injured on Jan. 19 at Washington Street and Christopher Columbus Drive. He said Kolb unleashed the dogs and they ran across the street and tore into his arm. Kolb said the dogs got away from her.

James Joyce, 24, said he needed six stitches after being attacked on Jan. 9 by the dogs at Warren and Morris streets. Kolb said Joyce was not injured.

On Sept. 21, at the park at Greene and Essex streets, police said the two dogs knocked down a woman and the 6-month-old child she was carrying. Kolb said it was an enclosed park and she let the dogs loose because she thought it was empty.

MICHAELANGELO CONTE

?2009 Jersey Journal
? 2009 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

Posted on: 2009/2/28 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ConcernedMom wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I thought that I would get an email telling me when there were new posts but I didn't. Guess that shows how new I am to this posting stuff.

Anyway, I agree with the person who said that it was a good idea that the prosecutor posted a phone number for people to call. I think most people would be calling not for their own personal gain for a lawsuit but rather to prevent an incident in the future from which a lawsuit could spring. Does anyone have the number?

I wonder if Ms. Kolb indeed did move? She was not living in Hudson Point but nearby in the building diagonal to Hudson Point (diagonal from the intersection of Hudson and Warren).

CM

"DeFazio asks that anyone who may have been attacked by these dogs to call his office at (201) 795-6959."

Posted on: 2009/2/28 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think the hearing was postponed to yesterday-does anyone know what happened?

Posted on: 2009/2/28 15:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/1 14:35
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Everyone,

I thought that I would get an email telling me when there were new posts but I didn't. Guess that shows how new I am to this posting stuff.

Anyway, I agree with the person who said that it was a good idea that the prosecutor posted a phone number for people to call. I think most people would be calling not for their own personal gain for a lawsuit but rather to prevent an incident in the future from which a lawsuit could spring. Does anyone have the number?

I wonder if Ms. Kolb indeed did move? She was not living in Hudson Point but nearby in the building diagonal to Hudson Point (diagonal from the intersection of Hudson and Warren).

CM

Posted on: 2009/2/28 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hudsonhorizons-I will relay the message to my source. In the meantime, we'll see where this ends up and what's really going on.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 12:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
The prosecuters office posting a phone number for people to call about past attacks was a bad idea. They had enough evidence already and it just opens it up to anyone with a frivolous charge/lawsuit thereby clogging the proceedings and delaying justice. Bad Idea.

I disagree, I think it was a good idea. People who had additional information went to them which may have made their case stronger to peruse additional charges.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The prosecuters office posting a phone number for people to call about past attacks was a bad idea. They had enough evidence already and it just opens it up to anyone with a frivolous charge/lawsuit thereby clogging the proceedings and delaying justice. Bad Idea.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 17:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/30 1:35
Group:
Banned
So much for skepticalhook's "good authority".

Posted on: 2009/2/21 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
MORE DOG STORIES
Saturday, February 21, 2009
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Calls keep coming in alleging additional incidents involving the Downtown Jersey City woman's two dogs that have been tied to three attacks that sent people to hospitals, a Jersey City municipal prosecutor said in court yesterday.

"More people have come out now that it has been in the news," said Jersey City Municipal Court Prosecutor Armando Molina at yesterday afternoon's hearing on the South African boerboels owned by Susan Kolb.

Kolb has asked for a trial to defend the animals and keep them from being put down under the state's Vicious Dog Law. The trial date was pushed back again yesterday because Kolb's attorney, Jonathan Goodman, has not yet received all the police reports and interview transcripts connected to the three incidents before the court.

The parties were in court earlier this month, but the hearing was postponed for the same reason. The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office is considering seeking criminal charges against Kolb and the ongoing investigation at the county level has generated additional documents needed by Goodman in the municipal court case.

"He will certainly have everything by the end of this coming week," Molina told Municipal Court Judge Nesle Rodriguez yesterday.

Molina said the ongoing calls are being looked into, but he said the three cases currently before the court suffice to move forward in the case to determine the fate of the dogs.

Jonathan L. Rodriguez, 24, of Brunswick Street, was injured on Jan. 19 at Washington Street and Christopher Columbus Drive. He said Kolb unleashed the dogs and they ran across the street and tore into his arm. Kolb said the dogs got away from her.

James Joyce, 24, said he needed six stitches after being attacked on Jan. 9 by the dogs at Warren and Morris streets. Kolb said Joyce was not injured.

On Sept. 21, at the park at Greene and Essex streets, police said the two dogs, reportedly unleashed, knocked down a woman and the 6-month-old child she was carrying. Kolb said it was an enclosed park and she let the dogs loose because she thought it was empty. All four alleged victims needed medical treatment.

Kolb attended yesterday's hearing. The male dog, weighing 160 pounds, and the female, weighing 100 pounds, have been held at the Liberty Humane Society since the day after the most recent incident.

Kolb has complained that the Liberty Humane Society has refused to allow her to visit the dogs and Rodriguez instructed Goodman to have a representative of the organization appear at the next hearing.

The judge ordered the parties to reconvene on Friday at the Jersey City Municipal Court building on Summit Avenue.

?2009 Jersey Journal
? 2009 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 13:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
That is good news! Hopefully they will be adopted by a responsible owner.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 22:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Susan DID NOT get the dogs back..will know more at the hearing on Friday

Posted on: 2009/2/18 21:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
he just called to go to court today, he couldnt really talk just now but i will def keep you guys updated. it was a surprise to hear that court was today

Posted on: 2009/2/18 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

loveanimals wrote:
All I wrote in that post was about the court case and btw I do love animals. Not sure where the info on Kolb getting her dogs back came from but Jonathan is going to court today. Keep you updated.

I thought the courtdate was 2/20 as reported : http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... erboels_accused_in_a.html

Is there something else going on today? Grand Jury?

Posted on: 2009/2/18 18:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
All I wrote in that post was about the court case and btw I do love animals. Not sure where the info on Kolb getting her dogs back came from but Jonathan is going to court today. Keep you updated.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I hope you're right, but I guess we'll see what happens on Friday. They have already moved to a place with a fenced in yard in preparation for the return of these animals.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
LHS was not informed of any decision. Your source is completely uninformed.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 18:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/7 16:03
Group:
Registered Users
According to the previous statute 4:19-21.1 :

"the municipality and the owner of the dog may settle and dispose of the matter at any time in such manner and according to such terms and conditions as may be mutually agreed upon." N.J.S.A. 4:19-21.1

Posted on: 2009/2/18 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
I too would LOVE to know where this information is coming from.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My understanding is that LHS was informed of the decision.

If someone from LHS would like to weigh in, I think we'd all like to know the facts.

I erroneously reported yesterday that they were finally evicted. In fact, it appears that they moved to the west side as part of a deal to have the dogs in a fenced in yard. I think that is part of the NJ statutes when a dog is found to be potentially dangerous. See NJ Statute 4:19-23. Finding to declare dog potentially dangerous; http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/st ... 9_1_4_19A_17.htm#s4_19_22

Apparently, they went right past a hearing to determine if it was vicious, potentially dangerous, or otherwise, and simply cut a deal behind the public's back. I wonder if the victim's were even informed.

To those on the West Side of JC, enjoy. They're your problem now. You can thank your local prosecutors and judges.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
I'd LOVE to know where this information is coming from.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 14:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
I have it on good authority that notwithstanding the promise to prosecute this witch for assault, notwithstanding scheduled hearings to determine whether thses dogs are vicious, notwithstanding 3+ attacks on humans, and notwithstanding public outcry:

THE DOGS ARE BEING RELEASED TO KOLB.

Anyone want a puppy? Because they will need to sell a couple to make up for the cash they presumably gave to the prosecutor and judge.

THERE IS NO JUSTICE IN JERSEY CITY.

This is outrageous!

Posted on: 2009/2/18 12:22
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have it on good authority that notwithstanding the promise to prosecute this witch for assault, notwithstanding scheduled hearings to determine whether thses dogs are vicious, notwithstanding 3+ attacks on humans, and notwithstanding public outcry:

THE DOGS ARE BEING RELEASED TO KOLB.

Anyone want a puppy? Because they will need to sell a couple to make up for the cash they presumably gave to the prosecutor and judge.

THERE IS NO JUSTICE IN JERSEY CITY.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 11:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Your screen name is a little disengenuous. If you truly loved animals you would understand that a dog, like a child is only as good as it's upbringing. Like a child, a dog can eventually overcome it's upbringing and through love and care and alot of hardwork become a well behaved citizen. Take a look at Michael Vick's dogs for instance. Many of them have overcome the depravity that only a sick human would inflict on them. These Mastiffs should be taken away from this woman and probably seperated from each other. A good handler could easily get them to be well behaved, wonderful pets. Crying out for their blood seems a bit too much.
Quote:

loveanimals wrote:
The case on the 20th is Susan trying to defend her Vicious Dogs...she is trying to prove that they are not vicious and also Susan can be possibly charged with aggravated assault.

Not exactly sure why you're ripping into "loveanimals"--that statement didn't seem to be anti-animal. In any event, I understand the difference between the Vick dogs and these boerboels is that the Vick dogs were vicious towards other dogs, not people (according to the place in Utah--no personal knowledge). The boerboels go after both humans and dogs.

"Ripping"? Hardly. I sympathize with her boyfriend but she is blaming the dogs for something that the owner is truly responsible for allowing. The dogs can be fixed. I doubt the owners could be. Hopefully they haved moved away and the dogs can be moved to a rescue group.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 16:24

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 16 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017