Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
78 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 50 51 52 (53) 54 55 56 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/31 18:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
An escalator can never be broken. It can only become stairs.

Stairs would be fine, but they usually block it off with makeshift fencing. Still everything would go more smoothly if people stayed to the right on stairs and walkways. All of NYC has this problem. Tokyo does this right even with twice as many riders.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Pavonia/Newport
Both up esclators broken this morning as well as a revolving door.
Lets see how many months it takes to fix this one.

So I guess the revolving door became a window?

Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Pavonia/Newport

Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Pavonia/Newport

Posted on: 2010/1/27 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:
Someone once said they should create a pedestrian walkway under the hudson with those conveyer belt type things that they have at airports. I think that's genius. No waiting for trains, minimal maintance, and you'll probably get wherever you need to go as fast as the train...

It would be genius, revolutionary, and world famous. Unfortunately it will never happen.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 20:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Someone once said they should create a pedestrian walkway under the hudson with those conveyer belt type things that they have at airports. I think that's genius. No waiting for trains, minimal maintance, and you'll probably get wherever you need to go as fast as the train...

Posted on: 2010/1/27 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
Express service is never gonna happen.
It would be impossible to run express trains through the PATH system since they only have one set of tracks each way going in and out of the city. Two more lines of tracks would need to be built to be able to skip the other trains.
What the Port Authority needs to do is be more spontaneous - have more trains and allow for additional trains if needed at certain times like New Years, Halloween etc. There is no reason to run JSQ through Hoboken during peak holiday times or on weekends for that matter. If they tracked turnstyle turns and card swipes, they can see where extra service is needed. With the cameras in the stations they can see if the platforms are getting overcrowded. They also know from past history that the trains are overcrowded on Halloween for example and have additional conductors on call during those times. They are just too slow to react to these situations.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 18:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/10 20:52
Group:
Registered Users
I am not siding with PA but NJ transit is another complete mess...you will know if you've ever taken any trains in and out of Penn...I actually don't feel path is bad, it could use more service, cars could be cleaner but that can be said for the city subways as well.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 18:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
You're right. The PATH should not be expressed. The stops are far enough apart. What we need is an alternative. The PATH is a money loser for the PA and they have no competition; thus there is no incentive to provide better service. We should work on making meaningful alternative probably in the form of a light rail under the Hudson. See the map linked:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... 6b1ded8bc5be&ll=40.725145,-74.033775&spn=0.062965,0.104027&z=13

Posted on: 2010/1/27 16:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/3 15:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Longhorn wrote:
Quote:
I get on the 33rd st line everyday between 8:45 and 9:15 and it is never so crowded that I can't get on and sometiems get a seat, unless there was a breakdown/delay. The WTC line on the other hand looks like a can of sardines.

The WTC train is more crowded for 8 am and 9 am shift starts. 33rd is more crowded for 10 am shift starts. The WTC train is practically empty at 9:30 while the 33rd is at capacity. It should be 2 WTC for every one 33 during the early shift and two 33, 1 WTC, late shift. The bigger travesty is Hoboken service taking up half of the system time. Going home from 33rd at 5 or 6 pm, the JSQ platform looks like the city is being evacuated for a hurricane while nearly everyone gets a seat on the Hoboken train. Its pretty easy for PATH to figure out how to stagger service so that crowded lines have more trains at times when they are at capacity, but for whatever reason they don't. NJTransit passengers don't transfer to the PATH at Hoboken Terminal anymore after Secaucus Junction was built. Hoboken PATH service needs to be reduced accordingly. Easy fix. Make a 33rd express from JSQ that stops at JSQ, Grove, Newport, 14th, and 33rd. And a local that stops at everything including Hoboken. All trains are filled. PATH saves money. Its a win-win for everyone.

Just wait, because Harrison's Transit City isn't even built yet. It is only going to get worse.

I get off at 23rd everyday and would be really annoyed if they built a line that skipped it over. And in my experience, far more people (seemingly half the train car) get off at 23rd than at 14th on a weekday during rush hour.

It'd be nice to have some kind of express, but I'm not sure it would really work out well.

Posted on: 2010/1/26 17:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/6 1:25
Group:
Registered Users
I like the Path. I have been in JC for about 10 years and the PATH is really reliable especially compared to MTA.

Its definitely getting more crowded now but hey we all knew that was coming and there is nothing that can be done about that. My 2 cents.

Posted on: 2010/1/24 21:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/5 15:20
Group:
Banned
I guess we can all complain about the dysfunctional Path system, but compared to other people in the world I think we are all extremely fortunate to live so close to NYC and have the access to the culture and happenings that influence the world.
Think about Haiti and the people that have nothing. maybe a slice of Humble Pie is what most of us need when we have someone being this or that on the 20 minutes we ride a train into one of the cultural capitals of the world.

Posted on: 2010/1/24 21:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/31 18:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I get on the 33rd st line everyday between 8:45 and 9:15 and it is never so crowded that I can't get on and sometiems get a seat, unless there was a breakdown/delay. The WTC line on the other hand looks like a can of sardines.

The WTC train is more crowded for 8 am and 9 am shift starts. 33rd is more crowded for 10 am shift starts. The WTC train is practically empty at 9:30 while the 33rd is at capacity. It should be 2 WTC for every one 33 during the early shift and two 33, 1 WTC, late shift. The bigger travesty is Hoboken service taking up half of the system time. Going home from 33rd at 5 or 6 pm, the JSQ platform looks like the city is being evacuated for a hurricane while nearly everyone gets a seat on the Hoboken train. Its pretty easy for PATH to figure out how to stagger service so that crowded lines have more trains at times when they are at capacity, but for whatever reason they don't. NJTransit passengers don't transfer to the PATH at Hoboken Terminal anymore after Secaucus Junction was built. Hoboken PATH service needs to be reduced accordingly. Easy fix. Make a 33rd express from JSQ that stops at JSQ, Grove, Newport, 14th, and 33rd. And a local that stops at everything including Hoboken. All trains are filled. PATH saves money. Its a win-win for everyone.

Just wait, because Harrison's Transit City isn't even built yet. It is only going to get worse.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 22:58

Re: Grove Street PATH Escalators
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/22 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
When the heck do people start work that the train is crowded at 9:20?

I get on about 7:30 and have been doing so for 4 months now. I haven't been delayed or late even once. Compare that to driving/NJ Transit or buses and you find that the PATH is way more reliable.

It is a limited line system that runs every 6 minutes, of course it is going to have occasional problems (though as I said none yet for me), just the like the subway or airlines or cars or any other form of transportation.

Suck it up people. Sometimes things break.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
They have a major office in Manhattan as well. The bigger problem is that New York state doesn't see the PATH as an asset to economic growth and New Jersey largely sees the PATH as that Hudson County thing, and so neither statehouse gives it the attention it needs.

If you looked at their budget you wouldn't think so ! And without a fine tooth comb.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

lilmissdemeanor wrote:

Here's where I need advice: Clearly, I still need to get in to NYC, as I am lucky enough to have a job. That job, however, likes me to be on time and not full of blinding rage when I show up. Would taking the WTC-bound train be better? I was wondering if it would be less prone to these crowding issues, but am afraid that might be wishful thinking. I work near Columbus Circle, so I end up taking the NYC subway after I take the Path in anyway.

Thanks!!

this is not a tough equation to solve on your own. try the WTC line (to the 1, I guess?) and see if it's quicker and/or more pleasant.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 17:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 16:06
Group:
Registered Users
Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

I have been compelled to break my JCList silence by my seething rage for the Path. I feel like I have a Dr Evil-style nemesis, in that it is inept and super-annoying. That nemesis is my commute. This morning pushed me over the edge and I need advice.

(Quick run-down on this a.m. - I board at Grove Street every M-F either 9:21 or 9:26. Today the first 33rd St-bound train is completely full. Rather than shove my way on, I wait for the next one. It's moderately full, but do-able. We get to Pavonoia/Newport and the conductor says they are re-routing to Hoboken because of a medical emergency. Like 80% of the people leave the train. She closes the doors and says after Hoboken the train will be continuing on to 33rd. People, definitely including me, were not happy. We wait and get on the next 33rd train and get into the city eventually.)

Here's where I need advice: Clearly, I still need to get in to NYC, as I am lucky enough to have a job. That job, however, likes me to be on time and not full of blinding rage when I show up. Would taking the WTC-bound train be better? I was wondering if it would be less prone to these crowding issues, but am afraid that might be wishful thinking. I work near Columbus Circle, so I end up taking the NYC subway after I take the Path in anyway.

Thanks!!

Posted on: 2010/1/22 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

That's because most of the PATH riders use it to go to New York City whether it be for work or play. PATH conducts it's business in New Jersey or least it is headquarted there. All PATH employee roads lead to Jersey City, Harrison, and Newark so I guess a car would suffice. I'm sure if the employees wanted to go to the City then they would take the PATH train as well.

They have a major office in Manhattan as well. The bigger problem is that New York state doesn't see the PATH as an asset to economic growth and New Jersey largely sees the PATH as that Hudson County thing, and so neither statehouse gives it the attention it needs.

Posted on: 2010/1/21 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
My theory is that the people who administer the PATH don't ever ride the PATH, they are too well paid and at a higher level to condescend to actually use it. The guys that repair the escalators are union. They probably all drive to work too.

That's because most of the PATH riders use it to go to New York City whether it be for work or play. PATH conducts it's business in New Jersey or least it is headquarted there. All PATH employee roads lead to Jersey City, Harrison, and Newark so I guess a car would suffice. I'm sure if the employees wanted to go to the City then they would take the PATH train as well.

Posted on: 2010/1/21 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
My theory is that the people who administer the PATH don't ever ride the PATH, they are too well paid and at a higher level to condescend to actually use it. The guys that repair the escalators are union. They probably all drive to work too.

Posted on: 2010/1/21 16:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/3 15:45
Group:
Registered Users
I made an instructional comic page on my autobio webcomic site with tips on how to ride the PATH here:
http://glassurchin.nerdcomics.com/201 ... al-comic-riding-the-path/

Personally I love the PATH (convenient, fast, low fares), but sometimes PATH riders (especially during rush hour) can suck...

Posted on: 2010/1/14 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Check this out. Photos of people eating on the train:

http://www.trainpigs.com/

Posted on: 2010/1/14 4:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
PATH alerts are useless. You receive a PATH alert email about an hour after an incident occurs, followed within a few minutes by an alert that everything's back to normal. I'm not sure why it takes an hour get the word out about a problem, but only 3 minutes to say it's been fixed.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 18:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/5 20:55
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I reiterate . . . PATH doesn't give a sh**! With very little to no competition, they don't have to. If they're enjoying their monopoly and all their federal and state funding, then it's time for our elected officials to do something about this mess!

Posted on: 2010/1/8 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
More on train etiquette...

I came across this brilliant site today about people doing douchey things on the train:

http://www.subwaydouchery.com/

This is pretty funny stuff taht's I'm sure we've all seen on the PATH from time to time.

Posted on: 2010/1/7 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
A bridge to Manhattan that also allows pedestrians would be my absolute dream.

What about an underground people-mover, like in airports? I know this would NEVER happen, but is it even feasible?

Think about it ... you'd never have to wait for a train, you'd just step onto the people mover. No wait = amazing. Even if the belt only moved at 5 mph, it'd be better than sitting somewhere waiting. Also, no need to pay conductors and maintain signals = cheaper operating costs. Plus, most people would pay MORE for this. It'd be more profitable, in theory.

Too much liability? For people stepping on and off? Drunk people, etc?

Is the people-mover a total fantasy? LOL, I already know the answer ... SIGH.

Posted on: 2010/1/6 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
They're never going to build a tunnel for pedestrians, and once you put trains or cars in the tunnel they're not going to allow foot traffic so that is out.

It is possible to build a bridge that allows cars/trains/pedestrians, but it isn't going to happen, ever, for a bunch of reasons dealing with available land area on the NYC side, traffic and cost.

Get a kayak ;)

Posted on: 2010/1/6 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
a bit off topic:
Would it be feesible to build a bike friendly/pedestrian friendly tunnel or bridge to NY from here? It is seriously frustrating trying to get around transit problems. I spent 2.5 hours trying to get to work this morning. I admit part of the delay was my fault for taking the train to Newark in a failed attempt to change to NJ transit. I could have walked to work in less time. Also wouldn't it make sense in emergencies like the blackout (or god forbid worse) to give people another evacuation option instead of relying on the ferries?

Posted on: 2010/1/6 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
About train etiquette:

I invite all of you to join me in retraining people. Yes I'm the crazy lady that talks to people and occasionally yells at people when their not following the basic rules. Most of the time you will get people to respond nicely if you ask nicely. Here are some ideas:

1. when people start crowding onto the train before you get off, start yelling "Let us off first!"

2. when people are talking too loud next to you while you're trying to read say "excuse me, terribly sorry to interrupt, would you mind talking a little quieter so I can enjoy my book?" or in the mornings "so sorry to interrupt, would you mind talking in a whisper, I'm really hangover and your voice is making me nauseous"

3. when people crowd around the poles or don't move in say "pardon me, would mind moving in or aside so we can fit more people on the train"

4. when people discard their garbage on the train platforms or on the floor say "Sorry to be a pest, but maybe you could take your garbage with you and discard it in trash can, improperly discarded garbage causes track fires and makes you look like an uneducated a$$hole"

5. when you see a pregnant, injured or older person give that person your seat. if you're standing, ask that person if they would like a seat and find a seat for them. Just quietly ask a row of three people "would any of you mind giving up your seat for someone?"

6. when someone spills coffee, I scold them saying "that is exactly why food and drinks are not permitted on the PATH"

Ok so maybe I'm nuts and have a bit of a napoleon complex. People have barked back at me like mind your own business, but most of the time I see other people smile at me across the train in agreement.

On NJ: I still like my home state of CT better than NJ, but NJ has really grown on me and I love it now.

Posted on: 2010/1/6 22:04

« 1 ... 50 51 52 (53) 54 55 56 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017