Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: Council person Osborne presents Pedestrian plan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

john1952 wrote:
It was not a g-d sample. It was 800 responses from Fulop campaign supporters.

In our case, it was a meeting with the residents of Gulls Cove and Liberty Harbor North. Now I know for a fact that many people at that meeting were not "Fulop campaign supporters." Certainly, our district, like every district in Ward E, voted overwhelmingly for Fulop, but so what?

Plenty of steps to be taken won't cost a dime. Recalibrating traffic signals to allow for longer pedestrian crossings costs nothing. Putting parking back on streets costs nothing. Other costs are negligible.

And I know that at our meeting, Candice forthrightly stated that any measures that cost significant money, such as the installation of "bulbouts" would be a longer term project.

I wouldn't feed the troll. "John1952" is Fletcher Gensamer, the last place loser in the recent Ward E election and Tea Partier/Newt Gingrich supporter. He is clearly on a anti-Fulop crusade which should be entertaining until he finds something else to do with his lonely life.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
I do not feel safe walking around in DTJC because of the rash drivers. So thank you miss Osborne for this plan. And stop attacking her personally, instead of talking about the plan.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 10:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Another poster mentioned a problem that I think is directly related to safety--people parking illegally too close to intersections and blocking drivers' view of pedestrians in or about to enter the intersection and cross traffic. Fixing this problem is just a matter of enforcing existing law.

If increased enforcement doesn't solve the problem, maybe re-painting the curbs and putting new signs up will. Or increasing the fine for this offense.

getting the police (and their pals) to stop parking at the red curbs would be a great start. on my corner, they are the biggest offenders.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, Candice. No process is going to be perfect, but remember this is just the first step. If you are not one of the impressive 800 people consulted, and you feel you have an important point to make that none of them raised, you will have plenty of opportunity as this proposal goes through the legislative process.

Let's leave parking issues for another discussion. We are focused on pedestrian safety.

Another poster mentioned a problem that I think is directly related to safety--people parking illegally too close to intersections and blocking drivers' view of pedestrians in or about to enter the intersection and cross traffic. Fixing this problem is just a matter of enforcing existing law.

If increased enforcement doesn't solve the problem, maybe re-painting the curbs and putting new signs up will. Or increasing the fine for this offense.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 21:11
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone please welcome John1952, JC's latest and greatest troll....

Posted on: 2013/9/10 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

arcy wrote:
And Jersey City is part of a Pedestrian Safety Pilot program with the DOT
http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike/p ... ction/njersey/njersey.pdf

Great report. Worth the read.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 19:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Back to the original topic,
Jersey City passed a complete streets resolution in 2011

The resolution stipulates that all new construction and reconstruction in the city must be designed to safely accommodate all users, including pedestrians and bicyclists.

http://njbikeped.org/wp-content/uploa ... te-Streets-Resoultion.pdf

tp://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... -streets%E2%80%99-policy/

In 2013, The Jersey City Police Department has received a $27,900 grant from the New Jersey Division of Highway to beef up pedestrian and traffic safety in the city.
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... s_jersey_city_police.html

Jersey City has been chosen as a focus city by the FHWA and the NJTPA and they will be participating in a Pedestrian Safety Pilot program

And Jersey City is part of a Pedestrian Safety Pilot program with the DOT
http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike/p ... ction/njersey/njersey.pdf

More info re: Complete Streets
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation ... ydevelopmentguide2012.pdf

Posted on: 2013/9/10 18:07

Edited by arcy on 2013/9/10 18:32:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
As for whether Candice can do what Fulop could not. Fulop was sympathetic to our concerns in Gulls Cove/Liberty Harbor the moment we articulated them. But the Healy administration refused to do anything.

Certainly the councilwoman and the mayor will be judged by their performance. But the early returns look promising.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

john1952 wrote:

In our case, it was a meeting with the residents of Gulls Cove and Liberty Harbor North. Now I know for a fact that many people at that meeting were not "Fulop campaign supporters." Certainly, our district, like every district in Ward E, voted overwhelmingly for Fulop, but so what?

Plenty of steps to be taken won't cost a dime. Recalibrating traffic signals to allow for longer pedestrian crossings costs nothing. Putting parking back on streets costs nothing. Other costs are negligible.

And I know that at our meeting, Candice forthrightly stated that any measures that cost significant money, such as the installation of "bulbouts" would be a longer term project.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Didn't happen to get beat in an election Fletch? Errr John?

Quote:

john1952 wrote:
You all really believe Candice Osborne can do this? Steve Fulop did not even talk about this stuff in 8 years and now she will do it with a sweep of her wand? Remember FixMyPath.com, I am still waiting for it to happen. Again, how are we going to pay for all this?

The city already has an award winning circulation study that has been paid for and needs to be done. Start working on this now. Don't scrap it and start over with crowd sourcing a study.

If you want to know what pre--Sandy Candice Osbourne was like, watch this video only two years before she was put on Fulop's ticket. I can't believe it, can you. So now in another thread she is the Mayor's heir apparent. First start rejecting tax and spending increases then look to the next chair.

Waiting for the video on the next Fulop elected councilperson. Maybe it will be the guy who lied about his high school degree.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 17:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned
You all really believe Candice Osborne can do this? Steve Fulop did not even talk about this stuff in 8 years and now she will do it with a sweep of her wand? Remember FixMyPath.com, I am still waiting for it to happen. Again, how are we going to pay for all this?

The city already has an award winning circulation study that has been paid for and needs to be done. Start working on this now. Don't scrap it and start over with crowd sourcing a study.

If you want to know what pre--Sandy Candice Osbourne was like, watch this video only two years before she was put on Fulop's ticket. I can't believe it, can you. So now in another thread she is the Mayor's heir apparent. First start rejecting tax and spending increases then look to the next chair.

Waiting for the video on the next Fulop elected councilperson. Maybe it will be the guy who lied about his high school degree.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think anyone would object to improving signs and road markings aimed at pedestrians. For example, the red-brick crosswalks can be confusing, and have different meanings depending on whether they're at a stop sign or at a traffic light.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 16:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/9/10 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
+1 Getz

Quote:

getz011 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Not saying she does not address other issues or even issues I support, my comment is that getting the opinion of 800 people out of 49,600k Ward E residents (last census)....

A sample of 800 in a population of 49,600 is pretty impressive - that translates into a margin of error of +/- 3.44%. I have Fortune 500 clients at my market research & polling company who would kill for a sample that robust, but they don't want to pay for it.

Keep in mind that most polls in national political races are based on a sample of ~1000 to 3000 respondents, resulting in a margin of error of +/- 2% to 3%.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 16:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

You should drive on columbus at 8-9AM and you'll see dozens froggy across columbus on a green light - everyday.

You just hit on a big issue - and a reason (among many) why the opinions of drivers need to come a distant third (behind pedestrians and cyclists.) If I stood anywhere along Columbus between 8 and 9 am and picked cars at random, how many would be Ward E, Jersey City residents? Probably about 1.8%. How many would be Jersey City residents at all? 10% maybe?

This plan - similar to plans adopted in cities throughout the country - is a recognition that times have changed and urban streets can't be the sole province of cars. Whereas in the past, cities would build residential buildings with 1:1 apartment to parking space requirements, now dense urban environments are allowing ratios below 0.5:1 in many cases. Car ownership in urban areas has declined over the past decade. Total miles driven in the U.S. have declined since 2007 by almost 10%.

No one is saying people shouldn't own cars. No one is saying people shouldn't be able to drive their cars. What is being said is that for far too long, the prioritization of moving cars along through city streets as quickly as possible has trumped all else. That practice has come at the great expense of lives and safety, noise, air pollution and blight.

More pedestrians were killed by cars in 2009 in NYC than people who were killed by guns. No drivers were killed by pedestrians. If you have the time, spend an hour on the Transportation Alternatives website - it not only discusses various traffic calming and pedestrian and bicycle safety topics in detail, you can see the results of the efforts NYC has made over the past decade.

To my liking, this plan doesn't go nearly far enough, but I recognize that it's a start. We need strict enforcement of speed limits, not lip service or electronic signs that flash your speed like a high score on a video game. I would have liked to have seen bike lanes, the mere presence of which have been proven to calm traffic, incorporated into the first phase. There are probably at least a half dozen spots downtown that would greatly benefit from a blocklong pedestrian plaza. Rush hour bans on left turns at the major intersections along Columbus and Grand would greatly eliminate, if not reduce entirely, the incentive for Holland Tunnel bound traffic to get off the turnpike.

But.... for the first time, someone is willing to make this issue a priority and do the lifting and for that, I am grateful.

Yes, I am running for mayor on my plan below - do I have your support?

1. Turn 10% of the roads to pedestrian only plazas

2. Make the rest of the roads toll roads

3. Remove all traffic lights and replace lights with stop signs!

4. Reclaim all parking lots and turn them into homeless shelters

5. Reclaim all driveways and turn them into artist dens!

6. If all the above do not work, think of other things to alienate the tax paying, middle income residents of Ward E!

Why would you turn the parking lots into homeless shelters?

Pay for parking lots are great.

People should have to pay a premium for parking. When I lived in NYC, I did not think I was entitled to free street parking.

As another poster mentioned:
Walkability improves property value.

Here is some data to support that idea (thus debunking your notion of turning away the middle class)

"The report, ?Walking the Walk: How Walkability Raises Housing Values in U.S. Cities? by Joseph Cortright, analyzed data from 94,000 real estate transactions in 15 major markets provided by ZipRealty and found that in 13 of the 15 markets, higher levels of walkability, as measured by Walk Score, were directly linked to higher home values.

?Even in a turbulent economy, we know that walkability adds value to residential property just as additional square footage, bedrooms, bathrooms and other amenities do,? said Cortright. ?It?s clear that consumers assign a tangible value to the convenience factor of living in more walkable places with access to a variety of destinations.? "
http://www.ceosforcities.org/research/walking-the-walk/

Fewer young people want cars. In 1995 people age 21 to 30 drove 21 percent of all miles driven in the U.S.; in 2009 it was 14 percent, despite consistent growth of the age group. Living car-free in walkable areas fits younger lifestyles. [Advertising Age, 2010]
A 10-point increase in Walk Score increases commercial property values by 5 percent to 8 percent. [University of Arizona & Indiana University, 2010]
Homes in walkable urban neighborhoods have experienced less than half the average decline in price from the housing peak in the mid-2000s. [Brookings Institution, 2011] (See also this analysis.)
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neig ... en-case-walkability/1757/

NYT Opinion piece by CHRISTOPHER B. LEINBERGER,
A professor at the George Washington University School of Business and a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution.

"Mariela Alfonzo and I just released a Brookings Institution study that measures values of commercial and residential real estate in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, which includes the surrounding suburbs in Virginia and Maryland. Our research shows that real estate values increase as neighborhoods became more walkable, where everyday needs, including working, can be met by walking, transit or biking. There is a five-step ?ladder? of walkability, from least to most walkable. On average, each step up the walkability ladder adds $9 per square foot to annual office rents, $7 per square foot to retail rents, more than $300 per month to apartment rents and nearly $82 per square foot to home values.

As a neighborhood moves up each step of the five-step walkability ladder, the average household income of those who live there increases some $10,000. People who live in more walkable places tend to earn more, but they also tend to pay a higher percentage of their income for housing."
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/opi ... html?_r=2&ref=realestate&

Posted on: 2013/9/10 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Not saying she does not address other issues or even issues I support, my comment is that getting the opinion of 800 people out of 49,600k Ward E residents (last census)....

A sample of 800 in a population of 49,600 is pretty impressive - that translates into a margin of error of +/- 3.44%. I have Fortune 500 clients at my market research & polling company who would kill for a sample that robust, but they don't want to pay for it.

Keep in mind that most polls in national political races are based on a sample of ~1000 to 3000 respondents, resulting in a margin of error of +/- 2% to 3%.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

You should drive on columbus at 8-9AM and you'll see dozens froggy across columbus on a green light - everyday.

You just hit on a big issue - and a reason (among many) why the opinions of drivers need to come a distant third (behind pedestrians and cyclists.) If I stood anywhere along Columbus between 8 and 9 am and picked cars at random, how many would be Ward E, Jersey City residents? Probably about 1.8%. How many would be Jersey City residents at all? 10% maybe?

This plan - similar to plans adopted in cities throughout the country - is a recognition that times have changed and urban streets can't be the sole province of cars. Whereas in the past, cities would build residential buildings with 1:1 apartment to parking space requirements, now dense urban environments are allowing ratios below 0.5:1 in many cases. Car ownership in urban areas has declined over the past decade. Total miles driven in the U.S. have declined since 2007 by almost 10%.

No one is saying people shouldn't own cars. No one is saying people shouldn't be able to drive their cars. What is being said is that for far too long, the prioritization of moving cars along through city streets as quickly as possible has trumped all else. That practice has come at the great expense of lives and safety, noise, air pollution and blight.

More pedestrians were killed by cars in 2009 in NYC than people who were killed by guns. No drivers were killed by pedestrians. If you have the time, spend an hour on the Transportation Alternatives website - it not only discusses various traffic calming and pedestrian and bicycle safety topics in detail, you can see the results of the efforts NYC has made over the past decade.

To my liking, this plan doesn't go nearly far enough, but I recognize that it's a start. We need strict enforcement of speed limits, not lip service or electronic signs that flash your speed like a high score on a video game. I would have liked to have seen bike lanes, the mere presence of which have been proven to calm traffic, incorporated into the first phase. There are probably at least a half dozen spots downtown that would greatly benefit from a blocklong pedestrian plaza. Rush hour bans on left turns at the major intersections along Columbus and Grand would greatly eliminate, if not reduce entirely, the incentive for Holland Tunnel bound traffic to get off the turnpike.

But.... for the first time, someone is willing to make this issue a priority and do the lifting and for that, I am grateful.

6. If all the above do not work, think of other things to alienate the tax paying, middle income residents of Ward E!

Absolutely, where can I send a check? My only caveat - you run for mayor of anyplace but Jersey City. As my grandmama might of said, You stink of the petit bourgeoisie.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/10 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

matt07302 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
If you want to be fair to both drivers and pedestrians, then get both sides of the story.

Could you please find the stats on drivers injured or killed by jaywalkers?

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
At the end of the day, even if you walk across the street on a green light and a car hits you, it's the driver and not the pedestrian's fault.

Have you ever been hit by a car? I bet not. Well here is a little bit of inside information. It sucks. "At the end of the day" is a little bit of an understatement. At the end of my day I was picking asphalt out of my skin.

Do not reduce the importance of pedestrian safety to an us vs. them argument because you have a gripe about moving your foot two inches to the left for a few jaywalkers when the majority of pedestrians are obeying the law. The argument is weak if not insulting.

ummm. I did not know that in order to comment I had to be hit by a car. I guess everyone in this thread has been hit by a car - which is why I advocate for my six point plan on pedestrian safety.

The only reason why I brake for an idiot crossing on a green light is because I go to jail if I don't. It is the pedestrians fault that he/she crosses on the green no matter how much people on this board rationalize it - it's still illegal!

And Candice's plan does not address this issue. And yes, it is an issue.

Not saying she does not address other issues or even issues I support, my comment is that getting the opinion of 800 people out of 49,600k Ward E residents (last census), going by your council of mostly pedestrians most likely, and doing a street audit IS NOT eliciting the opinion of drivers - who are mostly affected by this plan.

I partly joke about people being too poor to afford cars but after reading some comments (raising parking permits to $100, taxing homeowner driveways, rationalizing jaywalking), I am no longer kidding. I think you can buy a new kia for a few grand now right? You guys should look into that - driving is a whole new experience.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Yes and no. dickish pedestrian behavior can cause deadly driver behavior (swerving, stopping short, etc.).

Quote:

moobycow wrote:

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

True enough, but mostly that's because the traffic signal is setup for cars and not pedestrians. If you show up and no one has pushed the pedestrian button you simply won't get a walk signal. So if you walk up to the light looking to cross you're left wondering if you really can't cross or if no one pressed the button.

Of course some people are dickish and will force their way across the road. At the end of the day dickish pedestrian behavior is an inconvenience. Disckish driver behavior is potentially deadly.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 15:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

jklm wrote:
City of Jersey City/JCPA needs to raise the yearly residential zone Permit Parking from $15 to something approaching $100 - then we can try to pay the officers needed to enforce the permit parking 16 hours a day, 365 days a year.

That's silly, all we need is the JCPA to have the productivity of any other citys parking agency, then they would be filling the city's coffers in addition to paying their own way. Get rid of the clowns like that guy who was a full time JCPA supervisor AND a full time teacher. He's a poster child for how the city is viewed by the "old school" as nothing but a cow to be milked.

Hopefully JCPA will combine resources with the Police Dept. - that JCPA supervisor could be out of a second job.
Fees for the privilege to park on Jersey City streets should come from vehicle owners. What's the point of creating permit parking without enforcement? Someone has to pay for this, why not the car owners instead of the property owners? Right now the city also gets a portion of the violation $$ collected, right?

I agree with raising the fees to $100 or more. Parking is a privilege and not a right.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

True enough, but mostly that's because the traffic signal is setup for cars and not pedestrians. If you show up and no one has pushed the pedestrian button you simply won't get a walk signal. So if you walk up to the light looking to cross you're left wondering if you really can't cross or if no one pressed the button.

Of course some people are dickish and will force their way across the road. At the end of the day dickish pedestrian behavior is an inconvenience. Disckish driver behavior is potentially deadly.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
I live near Jersey Avenue. When I step out of my home to cross Jersey Ave. and Erie to purchase cream for our morning coffee? We joke that I'm taking my life in to my own hands. It's only two streets, one with a crosswalk, and yet, the vehicles driving to work with zero interest in yielding to a pedestrian? I wait, and wait and wait, I step out to be seen, I wait...it's unbelievable the amount of almost hits I've endured over six years. I've been skimmed by cars (where I've been able to touch their windshield as they speed by ignoring me on the crosswalk), I've jumped out of the way - to think all I have to do is cross two intersections to purchase an item at a bodega and I'll think twice about doing it because of safety concerns...I don't need to jaywalk as there are crosswalks everywhere...but no vehicle ever, ever, ever, EVER stops at one to let me cross.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Oh, and people who make claims such as "most people who do XYZ" or "most Ward E residents are drivers" please cite actual confirmed stats or just stop doing this. It's your opinion and not fact, based on a sample size of 1 (you), rather than 800.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
La_verdad,

I think you missed the point of Vindication's post. Vindication was pointing out that pedestrians weave in and out of cars to cross streets while the light is green, on very busy intersections. This is a big problem.

Overall, I, and others on here, are not putting the blame squarely on one thing. Osborne's plan is a good start, and it addresses drivers primarily. What we're saying is that all three points (drivers, pedestrians, bikers) need to be addressed in totality to affect positive change with public safety.

Lastly, a sample size of 800 is statistically significant to have a confidence interval between 90 and 95%, so stop being so damn critical. Again, IT's A START!

To everyone else, instead of just hammering away at the solutions given, let's be more constructive and offer up additional ideas/solutions that are realistic and make sense. And, as I've said a million times to little or no avail, rather than just bitch here about it, get on your local neighborhood council. Attend the meetings. Have a real voice, and not just one on here.

Otherwise, you're just pissing in the wind. And that's messy (I've done it hahahaha).

Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/10 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
City of Jersey City/JCPA needs to raise the yearly residential zone Permit Parking from $15 to something approaching $100 - then we can try to pay the officers needed to enforce the permit parking 16 hours a day, 365 days a year. Make downtown permit parking 8am-midnight, 7 days a week, especially near the PATH.
I suggest making those with driveways pay a yearly fee as well (less parking spaces because of the driveway) if they don't already.

Resident home owners already pay a tax for their driveways through the assessed value of their properties which results in more tax revenue for the city.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 12:22
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/10 11:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
If you want to be fair to both drivers and pedestrians, then get both sides of the story.

Could you please find the stats on drivers injured or killed by jaywalkers?

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
At the end of the day, even if you walk across the street on a green light and a car hits you, it's the driver and not the pedestrian's fault.

Have you ever been hit by a car? I bet not. Well here is a little bit of inside information. It sucks. "At the end of the day" is a little bit of an understatement. At the end of my day I was picking asphalt out of my skin.

Do not reduce the importance of pedestrian safety to an us vs. them argument because you have a gripe about moving your foot two inches to the left for a few jaywalkers when the majority of pedestrians are obeying the law. The argument is weak if not insulting.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 6:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
btw, driver input = ward e residents who drive more than walk/take the train.

saying you got driver input from people who leave their car behind 5 days a week and walk/take the train to work and only drive on the weekend is like surveying a voting group and labeling someone a democrat when they voted 99% republican except when they voted for bill clinton that one time...

Posted on: 2013/9/10 4:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
I can't honestly say I've come across egregious pedestrian behavior when I'm driving. If someone happens to jaywalk, I slow down and let them cross the street. No big deal, because I accept that I live in a densely populated city and I shouldn't be going faster than 25 mph anyway. If I see a yellow light, I actually slow down and stop rather than floor it to try to beat the light. I know this doesn't make me popular with other drivers, but screw them. This is the city I live in, and how I want drivers to behave starts with me.... Now, bicyclists, on the other hand... They really need to start cracking down on the wankers who bike on sidewalks and against the flow of traffic!

Yeah, when pedestrians break the law and jaywalk, it's okay cause you know, we live in an urban environment.

Where have I heard that before....homeless thread....dog poop thread.....litter thread.......

Posted on: 2013/9/10 4:27

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017