Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

Re: Jersey City Mayor Seeks to Limit Chain Stores Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
what is there to be proactive about???

Somebody in another thread wrote, "The stretch of Route 1 between Edison and Princeton is littered with chain restaurants of the "casual dining" variety. I have driven through that stretch a few times over the past two weeks, and I always have the same reaction: it looks like every other nondescript suburban area all over middle America."

Do you want Jersey City to look like every other nondescript suburban area in America?

Posted on: 2015/4/16 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Isn't the point of this to address something before it becomes a problem?

By that logic, everyone should get around on motorized scooters before their knees give out, or become a problem.

Being proactive about an issue means recognizing that the conditions that could bring about the issue to begin with are already in place, or taking form, and so you can be proactive about a problem in the making. But, lacking THAT (and, seriously, are we being overrun by chain stores? Are we seeing a dearth of small businesses opening in DTJC??) what is there to be proactive about??? If anything, we have many empty storefronts and spaces, many new businesses (mostly independent ones) and a growing population without the matching amenities.

That is a terrible analogy. For one, the issue isn?t a lack of mobility but what caused the knees to give out. Most likely that cause would be obesity. So, a better analogy might be to look at a potential problem like knees giving out and lose weight when the individual is younger and before the knees actually give out.

According to your analogy, the problem of bad knees still exists. As such, yes, you would like the city to wait for the problem to happen and our streets are loaded with Applebee?s and other crap before it tries to do anything. And by then, the best solution is to get a freaking motorized chair because the body is already broken.

Clearly the city is recognizing the conditions that could bring about the issue of chain stores flooding the market and killing the local charm. Just because chain stores aren?t filling the streets now does not mean they won?t over the course of time. Quite possibly, the mayor and council could have knowledge of potential chains that are looking to come in, flooding the market.

Posted on: 2015/4/16 18:29
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The city building department will open up on Saturdays as part of a month-long pilot program, the mayor's office announced today.

The office, located at 30 Montgomery St. on the fourth floor, will open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturdays beginning this weekend. If demand is high enough, the pilot program may be expanded to include inspections and other services.

Story

Posted on: 2015/4/16 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
If Fulop truly cared about JC's small businesses, he would take steps to reduce the dramatic obstacles and red tape a small business owner faces when trying to open a business. And he would at least attempt to reform our woefully dysfunctional Buildings Department.

But he doesn't really care so instead we get splashy proposals he can cite to as proof that he is the best Progressive candidate for Governor to lead New Jersey forward.

Correctomundo!

spot on.

Posted on: 2015/4/16 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

By that logic, everyone should get around on motorized scooters before their knees give out, or become a problem.

Being proactive about an issue means recognizing that the conditions that could bring about the issue to begin with are already in place, or taking form, and so you can be proactive about a problem in the making. But, lacking THAT (and, seriously, are we being overrun by chain stores? Are we seeing a dearth of small businesses opening in DTJC??) what is there to be proactive about??? If anything, we have many empty storefronts and spaces, many new businesses (mostly independent ones) and a growing population without the matching amenities.

Posted on: 2015/4/16 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/16 14:10
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TwoBootsJC wrote:
"One selling point of chain stores, in a city that?s losing its middle class, is that they can keep prices down. The neighborhood that first enacted a ban on chains, in 2004, Hayes Valley, has become so upscale that its own supervisor, London Breed, says she doesn?t shop there. People who live in the subsidized housing where she grew up, blocks away, ?don?t step foot? in the expensive neighborhood stores ?because they don?t feel comfortable there,? she told me."

The New Yorker on San Francisco's chain store ban. Read the rest of this really interesting piece at:
http://www.newyorker.com/business/cur ... ores-out-of-san-francisco

(Note that San Francisco's "ban" is much more permissive than the ban proposed by the mayor.)

I'd like to see the debate happen when we're "there". Truth is - aside perhaps from Grove St - we're not even close anywhere in JC.

Posted on: 2015/4/16 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, let's discuss, and let's debate, lol. As if the TRUE issue of turning money into more money for the owners of private capital isn't the primary impetus of debate on this most non-sensical and ridiculous thread.

F*$king MONEY-CENTRICS. Die Ya'll.

Posted on: 2015/4/16 2:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 16:02
Group:
Registered Users
"One selling point of chain stores, in a city that?s losing its middle class, is that they can keep prices down. The neighborhood that first enacted a ban on chains, in 2004, Hayes Valley, has become so upscale that its own supervisor, London Breed, says she doesn?t shop there. People who live in the subsidized housing where she grew up, blocks away, ?don?t step foot? in the expensive neighborhood stores ?because they don?t feel comfortable there,? she told me."

The New Yorker on San Francisco's chain store ban. Read the rest of this really interesting piece at:
http://www.newyorker.com/business/cur ... ores-out-of-san-francisco

(Note that San Francisco's "ban" is much more permissive than the ban proposed by the mayor.)

Posted on: 2015/4/16 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There have been enough alternative ideas generated on this forum that merit consideration ahead of City regulation, for example:

1. Use of incentives (how about abatements on business leases to residents)?
2. Preference policy local > franchise > chain
3. Facade improvement
4. Local showcasing within chains

I can think of very few shopping streets in JC that wouldn't benefit from a bigger selection of chains and franchises. Think this regulation may be getting the cart before the horse.

Posted on: 2015/4/15 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
maybe he'll just let this die since he got his 15 minutes....

Anyone know when this is going to City Council?

Doubtful.

I bet first reading next Wednesday, adoption on May 13.

Posted on: 2015/4/15 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
maybe he'll just let this die since he got his 15 minutes....

Anyone know when this is going to City Council?

Posted on: 2015/4/15 11:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
If Fulop truly cared about JC's small businesses, he would take steps to reduce the dramatic obstacles and red tape a small business owner faces when trying to open a business. And he would at least attempt to reform our woefully dysfunctional Buildings Department.

I had a local bar & grill owner telling me JC has really been raising the licensing / certification fees since Fulop took office. Curious if any other bar and restaurant owners are saying the same thing.

As for the Building Department, I keep hoping the DCA will proverbially 'nuke it from orbit', taking over its functions until a new building department (with all new people) can be re-constituted. I had hope after the police raided the department some years ago... but no such luck.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

But he doesn't really care so instead we get splashy proposals he can cite to as proof that he is the best Progressive candidate for Governor to lead New Jersey forward.
how is this proposal even progressive, it is protectionist. the government should not make it a habit of deciding winners/losers when the market is functioning properly

Because it looks like Fulop is "taking on" big corporations, in contrast to conservatives who are commonly perceived as cozying up to big business.

And San Francisco did it first.

It's all about form over substance.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

how is this proposal even progressive, it is protectionist. the government should not make it a habit of deciding winners/losers when the market is functioning properly

Posted on: 2015/4/14 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Correctomundo!

Posted on: 2015/4/14 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/14 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
sorry or happy to say that history is not on fulop's side. they tried carve-outs for the artists...failed. they tried preventing chains in williamsburg...failed. i read that diesel created a new store concept for brooklyn. i enjoy eating in jc's fine restaurants but i don't appreciate others telling me how or where i should make it rain

Posted on: 2015/4/14 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By DAVID MASSONI
GUEST COLUMNIST

Mayor Fulop last week proposed an ordinance limiting the number of chain stores and franchise businesses in Downtown Jersey City in order to support small businesses. Some from outside Jersey City say this hurts business. I couldn't disagree more. This proposal will help keep Jersey City unique and match the diversity of the city. More and more people are moving back to cities for the culture and vibrancy, and to turn our Downtown streets into a typical mall is not what I want.

Even if you have never lived in a city, you can appreciate the concept of big box retailers and chain businesses swallowing up the little guy. Yes, small businesses are the backbone to any local economy, but they are so much more. They create the uniqueness, the identity, the pulse of a city.

They are the ones who were here first helping to remake Jersey City and shouldn't be pushed aside by retail and restaurant chains that are the same where ever you go in the country.

I don't want that here.

Mayor Fulop and his administration are doing right by small businesses and truly understand the challenges small businesses face and the opportunity that they provide for a community. One of the first things Mayor Fulop did after taking office was professionalize the building department, expediting the approval process so business owners could open shop that much faster. The results have been the establishment of Jersey City as a place to be and an unprecedented growth in small businesses. Jersey City in fact has seen more than 150 new small businesses open in the past 18 months including 50 restaurants, 2 of which by me and my partners.

Now, with his latest proposal, Mayor Fulop has shown he recognizes that a city is not a city if it is filled with chain restaurant after franchise retailer after big box store. There's no character. No charm. No culture. That's not the Jersey City I want.

So to have the head of the Chamber of Commerce of New Jersey -- who I am guessing has never been to one of our neighborhood Jersey City restaurants -- call the proposal "ridiculous" and tell The Wall Street Journal "the last thing you want to be doing is turning away business" couldn't be more off base. The Chamber of Commerce is supposed to support business and yet he turned on the small businesses that not only make up over 99 percent of employment firms in the U.S. economy, but more importantly are the lifeblood of the Jersey City renaissance.

Three cheers to the mayor for knowing who the real business owners are in Jersey City and three boos to the head of the New Jersey Chamber of Commerce for not understanding what commerce means in Jersey City.

I am glad Mayor Fulop understands the contributions small businesses bring to a community and what makes a city livable. Not only is his initiative creating jobs and improving the quality of life for residents, but it is smart urban planning that continues to move Jersey City forward. I want to hear the stories that one day my children and grandchildren will tell of Jersey City, because I know that they too will love what we have found here.

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... sey_cit.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2015/4/14 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Welcome to American capitalism buddy. Competition is what it is, and as much as it sucks sometimes, this is completely fair competition. Nothing unfair or illegal about Wal-Mart or whomever being able to outbid you on a space. So which small business in Jersey City do you own?

Rather than expecting the local government to look out for your business, why not offer a superior product or service that gives me a reason to come into your store?

Case in point: the local pharmacy near me(NOT Palace Drugs) has extremely limited hours compared to Duane Reade or any other of the large chains, but the pharmacist there is very friendly and takes the time to explain any medications I'm obtaining at his pharmacy. Duane Reade just fills my prescription and doesn't seem to care whether they get my business or not (and I still regard the people in those stores as friendly too). As limited as the local pharmacy's hours are, I make a point to try and get prescriptions filled over there, because I like the pharmacist/owner there who gives me a reason to use the store. But he can't satisfy my needs all of the time, so I head to Duane Reade, and why should the local government deny me that choice by preventing a chain store from coming into a building?

I have plenty other examples of this and would be happy to provide more. Furthermore, as discussed on another thread, the small businesses are getting much more squeezed by something else anyway - online sales. Should Jersey City prevent Amazon and other online stores from delivering to our residences as well?

City hall might win a few battles here, but they will ultimately lose the war.

I think you should read a lil Adam Smith, Friedman, Keynes, Samuelson, etc... unfettered capitalism does not always result in the optimum result, there are several occasions where government (having the power to impose regulation) is required in order to drive an optimal situation/result. The butcher doesn't sell meat because he cares if you eat, he sells meat to make money, and if allowed to, he will give you meat that is pumped full of solution at as high a price as possible. oh, you will just go to another butcher you say because the quality elsewhere is better... well, unfortunately the conditions that are required for your theory to work aren't present in a world full of significant barriers to competition (i.e. long-term leases, deep corporate bank accounts).

There has to be government involvement in EVERY economy, I get it. I don't need to read Adam Smith, Friedman, or anyone else, I remember it from high school economics that there are times when the free market fails us, i.e. natural monopolies, common pool, external costs, external benefits, etc.

This is not one of those situations.

and there is the crux of our disagreement. I think it is one of those situations because of the nature of commercial leases and corporate backing. This is beyond hs economics. You are assessing the situation as if it was one of economic profits under competition whole the nature of the situation makes it one of economic rents (under competition).

It certainly represents some kind of inequity, but I don't think it fits into any of the situations of market failure discussed by any of those illustrious economists you named. A large corporation having massive advantages over small business(es) in negotiating for a lease does not represent free market failure in my mind, but you seem to think otherwise. If a reputable economist has a theory that follows what you say, I'd love to see it. But this is not an academic panel.

It doesn't really matter though, because if the kind of chain stores people want to buy from aren't in Jersey City, most people will end up buying online anyway (as I do in many cases), although not everything can be purchased online, obviously, or some people prefer not to buy certain things online (i.e. clothes). Even the big evil corporate chain Best Buy has suffered from people buying online.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Welcome to American capitalism buddy. Competition is what it is, and as much as it sucks sometimes, this is completely fair competition. Nothing unfair or illegal about Wal-Mart or whomever being able to outbid you on a space. So which small business in Jersey City do you own?

Rather than expecting the local government to look out for your business, why not offer a superior product or service that gives me a reason to come into your store?

Case in point: the local pharmacy near me(NOT Palace Drugs) has extremely limited hours compared to Duane Reade or any other of the large chains, but the pharmacist there is very friendly and takes the time to explain any medications I'm obtaining at his pharmacy. Duane Reade just fills my prescription and doesn't seem to care whether they get my business or not (and I still regard the people in those stores as friendly too). As limited as the local pharmacy's hours are, I make a point to try and get prescriptions filled over there, because I like the pharmacist/owner there who gives me a reason to use the store. But he can't satisfy my needs all of the time, so I head to Duane Reade, and why should the local government deny me that choice by preventing a chain store from coming into a building?

I have plenty other examples of this and would be happy to provide more. Furthermore, as discussed on another thread, the small businesses are getting much more squeezed by something else anyway - online sales. Should Jersey City prevent Amazon and other online stores from delivering to our residences as well?

I think you should read a lil Adam Smith, Friedman, Keynes, Samuelson, etc... unfettered capitalism does not always result in the optimum result, there are several occasions where government (having the power to impose regulation) is required in order to drive an optimal situation/result. The butcher doesn't sell meat because he cares if you eat, he sells meat to make money, and if allowed to, he will give you meat that is pumped full of solution at as high a price as possible. oh, you will just go to another butcher you say because the quality elsewhere is better... well, unfortunately the conditions that are required for your theory to work aren't present in a world full of significant barriers to competition (i.e. long-term leases, deep corporate bank accounts).

There has to be government involvement in EVERY economy, I get it. I don't need to read Adam Smith, Friedman, or anyone else, I remember it from high school economics that there are times when the free market fails us, i.e. natural monopolies, common pool, external costs, external benefits, etc.

and there is the crux of our disagreement. I think it is one of those situations because of the nature of commercial leases and corporate backing. This is beyond hs economics. You are assessing the situation as if it was one of economic profits under competition whole the nature of the situation makes it one of economic rents (under competition).

Posted on: 2015/4/14 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Opinion: A lesson from Riverhead, N.Y. for Jersey City Mayor Fulop

By Jersey Journal Guest Columnist The Star-Ledger
on April 13, 2015 at  5:18 PM

By RUTH MURPHY GUEST COLUMNIST

Most people have never heard of Riverhead. Far fewer have been there.

The small town way out on eastern Long Island -- also known as Polish Town USA in recognition of its annual festival and large ethnic enclave -- took pride always in its potato farms, good schools and thriving downtown.

I know this because I grew up there, went to school there, met and married my husband, and gave birth to my son there.

But times changed and, with them, the town.

Well-meaning town officials, much like Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop, took pains to attract investment and encourage commercial development as far back as the 1950s.

First they permitted big box stores and shopping malls anchored by national chains to open on the outskirts of town along Route 58, which had been a treed and remote bypass for traffic headed farther east or to points west.

The powers that were then, much like Mayor Fulop, simultaneously discouraged national competition for local businesses in downtown Riverhead. No Burger King was allowed to compete with Poppa Nick's Confectionary on Main Street, where Momma made ice cream and Easter chocolate as Poppa handled burgers and milk shakes.

Jersey City should pay attention. If city officials are fortunate enough to attract a Starbucks or a Target or a Krispy Kreme Downtown, it will only enhance the neighboring businesses of established Mom-and-Pop shops.

The last thing Jersey City wants or needs is for everyone to go to Newport Mall or Route 139 and stay there.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... ad_ny_--_mayor_fulop.html

Posted on: 2015/4/14 5:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
bingo, and the winner is the mayor .... who has succeeded in uniting everyone in support of the big box chain stores, who would have believed it. it is the first few words that wins the day, not the actual impact....

who cares if it is wrong headed, short sighted, or pulling the rabbit out of the hat, who cares if it is not open and transparent government to drop this without thinking it through or researching. who cares, do you?

life is wonderful on the "animal farm", we are living in the world of press releases, it says it, so it must be so. don't we really get the government we deserve?

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
What's particularly disappointing is to see so many people in other online forums (NextDoor being a good example) supporting this initiative. It seems like some/most people that support this idea see it as a "pro mom & pop initiative" but fail to see or acknowledge that limiting chain stores is not necessarily that. The way I see it, those people are like the pro-lifers that try and frame the "pro choice" supporters are pro-abortion. It is disingenuous.

You can support the "pro choice" movement and still not be personally in favor of abortions. You can support "consumer choice" and still not be personally in favor of chain stores.

Plainly put, this initiative is a solution in search of a problem. I hope the council takes a minute to think this through and, hopefully, realize the blunder this will be. If they fail to act sensibly, I really wish commercial property owners affected by this will unite and take the city to court for overstepping their authority.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Now when there are articles about him, they can say how he is a NJ pioneer in "progressive" urban planning, following in the national examples of San Francisco and Newport.

... learning the art of Booker-esque soundbites?

Posted on: 2015/4/14 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
nice examination of both sides in the Times last year:

A Fight to Shackle Chain Stores in East Hampton

Nice link - but JC isn't the Hamptons.

I'll ask again. What JC problem(s) are we trying to solve?

A huge problem: JC hasn't given Fulop enough to make a strong run for governor. This legislation will help fix that problem.

Now when there are articles about him, they can say how he is a NJ pioneer in "progressive" urban planning, following in the national examples of San Francisco and Newport.

The best part is his governor run will occur before we can measure the true impact of this proposal. So he gets the benefit of splashy headlines and press without the accountability. By the time we see that the legislation has actually harmed those it intended to help (or any impact at all), he could be long gone.

Posted on: 2015/4/14 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

Nice link - but JC isn't the Hamptons.

I'll ask again. What JC problem(s) are we trying to solve?

Posted on: 2015/4/14 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Very large retail chains and their parent companies are able to throw so much money at the problem of marketing their brands, that would-be competitors?who might indeed have been able to provide a more attractive product or service?are often profoundly unable to attain the smallest foothold. It has become a phenomenon that can hardly be called ?fair competition? in the spirit of healthy capitalism.

It's some kind of situation all right.

Except many small businesses have survived and thrived right alongside the big chains in Jersey City for years, or even decades in some cases. Not to mention that the internet has leveled the playing field somewhat when it comes to advertising and marketing. Yes, I'm speaking in general terms and yes, the big chains will always have monetary advantages or the small ones, but the small businesses that are serious about competing will not be dependent on city hall to protect them. And, as I mentioned before, online retail has grown tremendously over the years, large and small business alike. I'ld love to see what city hall can do about that. Probably not a damn thing.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Very large retail chains and their parent companies are able to throw so much money at the problem of marketing their brands, that would-be competitors?who might indeed have been able to provide a more attractive product or service?are often profoundly unable to attain the smallest foothold. It has become a phenomenon that can hardly be called ?fair competition? in the spirit of healthy capitalism.

It's some kind of situation all right.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/4/13 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users