Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: Council person Osborne presents Pedestrian plan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I also attended the caucus meeting when her plan was presented. The councilwoman also said she would like to reduce the lanes of traffic on Grand St from four to two and have that traffic go on other streets. That would have a negative impact on York, Montgomery, Mercer streets. Those streets are too narrow to handle that traffic. We need the police department to be engaged in the traffic problems on Grand St. But diverting it to smaller residential blocks is wrong.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City councilwoman outlines plan to boost pedestrian safety Downtown

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City?s Ward E rep on the City Council hopes to boost pedestrian safety Downtown by adding yield signs to a host of crosswalks, increasing fines for motorists who fail to stop for pedestrians and de-synchronizing traffic lights on Grand Street.

Councilwoman Candice Osborne presented her pedestrian-safety plan to the nine-member council at its caucus on Monday night. She said she?s hoping to use unused bond funds to pay for some of her recommendations, while others, like adjusting traffic light timing, can be done in the normal course of city business.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/9/25 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Cops responded to my call and ticketed the giant pick-up with NY Commercial plates that is constantly parked on the street overnight. It is illegal to park a commercial vehicle on our streets. This particular truck takes up 2 regular parking spots that could be used by residents who registered their cars in NJ and paid for a parking permit. Often that same truck is parked in crosswalks and adds danger for pedestrians and drivers. I will be calling the JCPD every night till this guy gets the message.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
If 90 million was chump change, why would you live in Manhattan and not somewhere worth it like a tropical island, or Dubai or many places greater than "the greatest city in the world". It's all subjective, and there probably millions upon millions in the world who can refute the self-titled moniker NYC affords itself.

The bottom line is, in the real world, I'll take JC over Manhattan 10 times out of 10, and twice on Sundays. Period. End of story.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I know exactly what you're saying, and your comparison does not and will never exist.

Even if it did, if I could get the same apartment, same price in NYC that I get in DTJC, I'd still live in JC over NYC. All my life I've said I love visiting NYC, but I love coming home to JC. I couldn't rest in the craziness of NYC, and think DTJC is an oasis amongst the NYC area bustle. I like having a yard, and a quiet neighborhood to which I come home.

Plus the fact that you can't see the NYC skyline when you're actually in NYC makes living there silly. I love my skyline view from my balcony.

That said, I think it's borderline insulting to call NYC $100 and JC $50. All of your points are subjective and based on many (incorrect) assumptions. From my POV, I just don't agree.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I can afford to live in NYC, but I prefer to live in DTJC (over Hoboken), for many reasons.

Let me make it clearer. I think anyone can live in NYC. Starving artists and out of work actors and actresses live in NYC in shared 400 sq ft studios.

What I mean is, given your preference for city living, can you afford to live in the same sq footage with the same building amenities in NYC as you do in JC?

And by NYC, I mean the desirable parts - ex Bronx and parts of Brooklyn.

And if you answer yes, then why aren't you living there?

It's like someone offering you a 100 dollar bill and a 50 dollar bill and you taking the 50 dollar bill....

What if you could have a private fenced yard in NYC and your apartment is just as quiet as your apartment in JC.

With enough money, anything is possible in NYC. A view of central park, btw, is much more valuable than a view of NYC.

Imagine living on the 75th floor of one57 having a 360 unobstructed view of central park.

http://www.one57.com/

If 90 million dollars is chump change to you and you already live in a luxury condo building, why would you live in JC?

If you live in a townhome, there are beautiful townhomes in NYC too.

There is not one area where JC outshines NYC and I like JC too....restaurants, nightlife, transportation, etc.

I'm just saying...JC has the affordability factor going for it. But we can disagree, that is fine.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I know exactly what you're saying, and your comparison does not and will never exist.

Even if it did, if I could get the same apartment, same price in NYC that I get in DTJC, I'd still live in JC over NYC. All my life I've said I love visiting NYC, but I love coming home to JC. I couldn't rest in the craziness of NYC, and think DTJC is an oasis amongst the NYC area bustle. I like having a yard, and a quiet neighborhood to which I come home.

Plus the fact that you can't see the NYC skyline when you're actually in NYC makes living there silly. I love my skyline view from my balcony.

That said, I think it's borderline insulting to call NYC $100 and JC $50. All of your points are subjective and based on many (incorrect) assumptions. From my POV, I just don't agree.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I can afford to live in NYC, but I prefer to live in DTJC (over Hoboken), for many reasons.

Let me make it clearer. I think anyone can live in NYC. Starving artists and out of work actors and actresses live in NYC in shared 400 sq ft studios.

What I mean is, given your preference for city living, can you afford to live in the same sq footage with the same building amenities in NYC as you do in JC?

It's like someone offering you a 100 dollar bill and a 50 dollar bill and you taking the 50 dollar bill....

What if you could have a private fenced yard in NYC and your apartment is just as quiet as your apartment in JC.

With enough money, anything is possible in NYC. A view of central park, btw, is much more valuable than a view of NYC.

Imagine living on the 75th floor of one57 having a 360 unobstructed view of central park.

http://www.one57.com/

If 90 million dollars is chump change to you and you already live in a luxury condo building, why would you live in JC?

If you live in a townhome, there are beautiful townhomes in NYC too.

There is not one area where JC outshines NYC and I like JC too....restaurants, nightlife, transportation, etc.

I'm just saying...JC has the affordability factor going for it. But we can disagree, that is fine.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/18 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I'm FOR walkability, I'm just against making driving a penalty. We live in the US, not Europe. I couldn't get to work, nor visit family in the suburbs, without a car. I shouldn't have to pay $100 to do that.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I wish they would eliminate the bus-stops around Hamilton Park. It will open up parking for residents and slow down traffic when the buses stop for 30 seconds to pick up passengers. There is NO need for the buses to pull over.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/18 15:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
How is raising the cost of a permit by 500% not considered a tax? Oh wait, yes, cause it doesn't affect you because you are too poor to afford a car. I forgot. Let's just have a non-poor man's tax and you can determine what is taxed okay?

Or maybe you're so irked by the suggestion because you're too poor to pay $200/month to park your car in a real lot/garage or too poor to afford a deeded parking spot. I say raise the fee to $1000. It doesn't affect me because I paid to OWN a spot. Only poor schmucks waste half their day moving their cars from one side of the street to the other, and then spend the other half kvetching on JC List when they get ticketed and booted.

I own a spot too in my luxury condo building, with an unobstructed view of NYC, in paulus hook, one of the most expensive neighborhoods in DTJC, the safest and most expensive area in JC. I would love to compare property values and then after, we can compare dick sizes too.

I do it because I want your attention, isn't it obvious?

Getting back on topic, it is easy to suggest a 500% increase in taxes when you are primarily not a driver and the tax doesn't affect you. Whether you own a spot, park in a garage, don't have a car, whatever, you are looking to pass on the tax.

If I suggest a 500% increase in the garage fee YOU PARK IN, I'm sure you will not be happy. I can argue that garages only promote driving and more CO2 emissions, whatever.

So you're finally acknowledging that people disagree with you not because they're "too poor" (one of your favorite, illogical arguments on any topic) but because you're a big dick? Thanks for clearing that up!

When someone proposed a 500% tax on something that does not directly affect them, it could be for many reasons:

1) They are retarded
2) They do not have a car for many reasons, one of them could actually be because they cannot afford one
3) The tax does not affect them and they could care less for other people

In all honestly, I'm actually very much pro-middle class. I just know the reality of things. If you want to live in an urband city and enjoy living in an urban city and work in the metro area, everyone's #1 choice is NYC. If you don't live in NYC, you are too poor to do it. I myself fall in this category.

I've thrown out the poor card because people here think people actually prefer JC over NYC which in response, I say, "No, if you work in the area and want to live in a city, it's because you're too poor to live in NYC."

Now, within JC, people have said they "prefer to live in Greenville versus DTJC" and in response I say, "No, it is because you are too poor to live in DTJC"

Money is not limitless so everyone is poor compared to someone else. I'm just here to speak the truth.

I appreciate you thinking I'm a dick though. Quick question, is it because my property is worth more than yours? haha jk :)

I initially suggested the $100 resident parking fee. I did not thoroughly think about the amount. I was trying to make the point that parking is a privilege and not a right. There is nothing in Councilperson's Osborne plan regarding parking fees.

There is actually a movement called PARK (ing) to demonstrate the need for more public space and less space used for cars. From their website: "The mission of PARK(ing) Day is to call attention to the need for more urban open space, to generate critical debate around how public space is created and allocated, and to improve the quality of urban human habitat ? at least until the meter runs out!"

"A brief history of PARK(ing) Day

Rebar?s original PARK(ing) project in 2005 transformed a single metered parking space into a temporary public park in an area of San Francisco that the city had designated as lacking public open space. The great majority of San Francisco?s downtown outdoor space is dedicated to movement and storage of private vehicles, while only a fraction of that space is allocated to serve a broader range of public needs. Paying the meter of a parking space enables one to lease precious urban real estate on a short-term basis. The PARK(ing) project was created to explore the the range of possible activities for this short-term lease, and to provoke a critical examination of the values that generate the form of urban public space."
http://parkingday.org/about-parking-day/

There is even a PARK(ing) day event planned in Jersey City
https://www.facebook.com/events/530875 ... c851ded95fa09272f7d6224ed

In terms of policy, I like what Hoboken does with residential parking. $15 for the first car, $30 for the second and $90 for the 3rd car in a household. Residents are also eligible for discounts at parking garages. http://www.hobokennj.org/departments/ ... ortation-parking/parking/

Posted on: 2013/9/18 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users

I am not sure if there is any legal term that restricts use of the term "luxury." However, when I was younger and hunting for apartments in NYC....

"Luxury" meant a doorman and an elevator.

"Semi-Luxury" meant an elevator but no doorman (I don't think there are many buildings with a doorman but no elevator!)

"Walk up" meant neither.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

I own a spot too in my luxury condo building, with an unobstructed view of NYC, in paulus hook, one of the most expensive neighborhoods in DTJC, the safest and most expensive area in JC. I would love to compare property values and then after, we can compare dick sizes too.

What makes a condo a luxury condo ? What is the difference between one that is not ?

A combination of Pricing, Finishes, Amenities, and Views of NYC as compared to other condos in the area.

Thank you for the response. I can understand finishes, amenities, and views but not pricing. Anybody can charge what they want plus what really makes a condo luxury is full resident ownership. Having a mix of owners/renters makes it an apartment house with anyone coming and going. You never know who your neighbors are.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 14:13
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/9/18 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

What makes a condo a luxury condo ? What is the difference between one that is not ?

A combination of Pricing, Finishes, Amenities, and Views of NYC as compared to other condos in the area.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
How is raising the cost of a permit by 500% not considered a tax? Oh wait, yes, cause it doesn't affect you because you are too poor to afford a car. I forgot. Let's just have a non-poor man's tax and you can determine what is taxed okay?

Or maybe you're so irked by the suggestion because you're too poor to pay $200/month to park your car in a real lot/garage or too poor to afford a deeded parking spot. I say raise the fee to $1000. It doesn't affect me because I paid to OWN a spot. Only poor schmucks waste half their day moving their cars from one side of the street to the other, and then spend the other half kvetching on JC List when they get ticketed and booted.

Getting back on topic, it is easy to suggest a 500% increase in taxes when you are primarily not a driver and the tax doesn't affect you. Whether you own a spot, park in a garage, don't have a car, whatever, you are looking to pass on the tax.

If I suggest a 500% increase in the garage fee YOU PARK IN, I'm sure you will not be happy. I can argue that garages only promote driving and more CO2 emissions, whatever.

So you're finally acknowledging that people disagree with you not because they're "too poor" (one of your favorite, illogical arguments on any topic) but because you're a big dick? Thanks for clearing that up!

When someone proposed a 500% tax on something that does not directly affect them, it could be for many reasons:

1) They are retarded
2) They do not have a car for many reasons, one of them could actually be because they cannot afford one
3) The tax does not affect them and they could care less for other people

In all honestly, I'm actually very much pro-middle class. I just know the reality of things. If you want to live in an urband city and enjoy living in an urban city and work in the metro area, everyone's #1 choice is NYC. If you don't live in NYC, you are too poor to do it. I myself fall in this category.

I've thrown out the poor card because people here think people actually prefer JC over NYC which in response, I say, "No, if you work in the area and want to live in a city, it's because you're too poor to live in NYC."

Now, within JC, people have said they "prefer to live in Greenville versus DTJC" and in response I say, "No, it is because you are too poor to live in DTJC"

Money is not limitless so everyone is poor compared to someone else. I'm just here to speak the truth.

I appreciate you thinking I'm a dick though. Quick question, is it because my property is worth more than yours? haha jk :)

Posted on: 2013/9/18 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/18 11:29
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/17 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/17 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Jersey City charges $15 a year for resident's zone parking permit. Non-resident pays $300 (Proof of employment in Jersey City Business, must include copy of current W-2). Permits only available to those eligible.

Osborne's Pedestrian Plan does not mention anything about raising fees to $100. Raising the fee was just one suggestion to help pay for enforcement of permit parking and ticketing those who park too close to intersections - since people are complaining that there is no money for any of the Pedestrian Plans - this could make a very small dent. You gotta start somewhere without raising taxes.

I own an apartment and a car, eligible for zone parking (and pay my $15 fee every year for a new one) but park in a garage (reserved spot) because it's too hard to find a space near my apartment and there are too many non-permit cars are parked in my zone at all hours of the day/night plus overnight vandalism seems to be increasing again. If we got better enforcement I would definitely pay a higher FEE per year and maybe then I'd be able find a place to park and not fear our car could be vandalized overnight.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/17 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Fewer young people want cars. In 1995 people age 21 to 30 drove 21 percent of all miles driven in the U.S.; in 2009 it was 14 percent, despite consistent growth of the age group. Living car-free in walkable areas fits younger lifestyles. [Advertising Age, 2010] A 10-point increase in Walk Score increases commercial property values by 5 percent to 8 percent. [University of Arizona & Indiana University, 2010] Homes in walkable urban neighborhoods have experienced less than half the average decline in price from the housing peak in the mid-2000s. [Brookings Institution, 2011] (See also this analysis.) http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neig ... en-case-walkability/1757/

If you are saying a home in DTJC with a garage does not increase it's property value than I have a bridge to sell you.

Options increase property value and the option to take transportation COMBINED with the option of having a garage increase prop values the most.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Jersey City charges $15 a year for resident's zone parking permit. Non-resident pays $300 (Proof of employment in Jersey City Business, must include copy of current W-2). Permits only available to those eligible.

Osborne's Pedestrian Plan does not mention anything about raising fees to $100. Raising the fee was just one suggestion to help pay for enforcement of permit parking and ticketing those who park too close to intersections - since people are complaining that there is no money for any of the Pedestrian Plans - this could make a very small dent. You gotta start somewhere without raising taxes.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/17 21:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I'm a driver and a walker. I drive everyday to work. I was hit by a car by the tunnel.

There's plenty of blame on both sides. In my mind, the bikes are probably the worst, since they often will just drive down the sidewalk or the middle of the street and not care about anything else.

I am all for calming of traffic. But there are JC taxpayers like me that drive to the burbs for work that don't appreciate it when people run into the street, just like I don't appreciate when drivers disobey stop signs.

Also, Hoboken charges $15 a year for street parking...when they are far denser, far wealthier, and far more pressed for space. Yet JC should charge $100?

Actually the benefit of living in JC vs NYC, among others, is that it's more affordable and reasonable to have a car here.

You make it harder to have a car, people will leave the city, property values will be hurt. Enough with the social engineering.

Hoboken has stricter street parking rules and higher enforcement. There are sides of the street where people who are not Hoboken residents cannot park. On the other side of the street, non-residents can park up to 4 hours. Hoboken residents receive discounts at the parking garages. I think JC should incorporate that stricter street parking rules.

http://www.hobokennj.org/departments/transportation-parking/

http://www.hobokennj.org/departments/ ... ortation-parking/parking/

And thanks for the statistic about $15 in Hoboken. I didn't know that. I rescind my comment about $100 but I think it could be higher than what it is now. I do like that Hoboken charges more for additional vehicles in households. Jersey City should do the same.

Hoboken: Fees are $15/year for the first vehicle in a household, $30 /year for the second vehicle in a household, and $90 /year for the third and each additional vehicle in a household
http://www.hobokennj.org/departments/ ... -parking/residentparking/

vs Jersey City $15 per vehicle http://www.jcparking.org/pdf/zonepark%20application%20_2_.pdf

And regarding your inference that walkability lowers property value, it's quite the opposite (take for instance your example of Hoboken. Hoboken is notorious for parking shortages). Also see these articles I posted earlier:

Walkability improves property value.

Here is some data to support that idea (thus debunking your notion that people will leave the city)

"The report, ?Walking the Walk: How Walkability Raises Housing Values in U.S. Cities? by Joseph Cortright, analyzed data from 94,000 real estate transactions in 15 major markets provided by ZipRealty and found that in 13 of the 15 markets, higher levels of walkability, as measured by Walk Score, were directly linked to higher home values.

?Even in a turbulent economy, we know that walkability adds value to residential property just as additional square footage, bedrooms, bathrooms and other amenities do,? said Cortright. ?It?s clear that consumers assign a tangible value to the convenience factor of living in more walkable places with access to a variety of destinations.? "
http://www.ceosforcities.org/research/walking-the-walk/

Fewer young people want cars. In 1995 people age 21 to 30 drove 21 percent of all miles driven in the U.S.; in 2009 it was 14 percent, despite consistent growth of the age group. Living car-free in walkable areas fits younger lifestyles. [Advertising Age, 2010]
A 10-point increase in Walk Score increases commercial property values by 5 percent to 8 percent. [University of Arizona & Indiana University, 2010]
Homes in walkable urban neighborhoods have experienced less than half the average decline in price from the housing peak in the mid-2000s. [Brookings Institution, 2011] (See also this analysis.)
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neig ... en-case-walkability/1757/

NYT Opinion piece by CHRISTOPHER B. LEINBERGER,
A professor at the George Washington University School of Business and a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution.

"Mariela Alfonzo and I just released a Brookings Institution study that measures values of commercial and residential real estate in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, which includes the surrounding suburbs in Virginia and Maryland. Our research shows that real estate values increase as neighborhoods became more walkable, where everyday needs, including working, can be met by walking, transit or biking. There is a five-step ?ladder? of walkability, from least to most walkable. On average, each step up the walkability ladder adds $9 per square foot to annual office rents, $7 per square foot to retail rents, more than $300 per month to apartment rents and nearly $82 per square foot to home values.

As a neighborhood moves up each step of the five-step walkability ladder, the average household income of those who live there increases some $10,000. People who live in more walkable places tend to earn more, but they also tend to pay a higher percentage of their income for housing."
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/opi ... onvenient-place.html?_r=0

and Richard Florida's interview with Jeff Specks:
"The Walkability Dividend is a concept advanced by the economist Joe Cortright and the non-profit CEOs for Cities, a group that has brought me into a small handful of downtowns with the understanding that all the events and amenities in the world won't make a difference in the absence of pedestrian culture. In his 2007 white paper "Portland's Green Dividend" [PDF], Cortright showed how that city's urban growth boundary, coupled with its investments in bike lanes and transit, resulted in a remarkable phenomenon: Portland's per-capita vehicle miles traveled peaked in 1996. Now Portlanders drive 20 percent less than the national average. This 20 percent results in financial savings and time savings that total almost four percent of GDP, ignoring all the wonderful externalities such as cleaner air and slimmer waistlines. Unlike driving dollars, 85 percent of which are sent out of town, much of those savings are spent locally, on housing and recreation. Portlanders are said to have the most roof racks, independent bookstores, and strip clubs per capita ? all exaggerations, but only slight ones."
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neig ... oward-walkable-city/4195/

Posted on: 2013/9/17 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a driver and a walker. I drive everyday to work. I was hit by a car by the tunnel.

There's plenty of blame on both sides. In my mind, the bikes are probably the worst, since they often will just drive down the sidewalk or the middle of the street and not care about anything else.

I am all for calming of traffic. But there are JC taxpayers like me that drive to the burbs for work that don't appreciate it when people run into the street, just like I don't appreciate when drivers disobey stop signs.

Also, Hoboken charges $15 a year for street parking...when they are far denser, far wealthier, and far more pressed for space. Yet JC should charge $100?

Actually the benefit of living in JC vs NYC, among others, is that it's more affordable and reasonable to have a car here.

You make it harder to have a car, people will leave the city, property values will be hurt. Enough with the social engineering.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
No one is requesting bonding money to undo that. There is plenty in councilwoman Osborne's plan that will not cost any money.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 20:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned
Then why can't Fulop follow it? Why can't Fulop just undo Healys deed without taking bond money to do it.

Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Whatever the "complete streets" plan, it wasn't working well. The Healy administration turned Grand Street into a death trap by removing parking and expanding the number of driver lanes. I fail to see how undoing that decision costs the taxpayers money.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Whatever the "complete streets" plan, it wasn't working well. The Healy administration turned Grand Street into a death trap by removing parking and expanding the number of driver lanes. I fail to see how undoing that decision costs the taxpayers money.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 17:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned
Yes, Jersey City has adopted Complete Streets and everything going forward must be designed to safely accommodate all users, including pedestrians and bicyclists.

Going forward with capital and grants, not paying for retrofitting our streets out of our taxes (including debt.)

Ward E and their Councilwoman will push for more spending because more of them live in tax abated buildings and will not feel the spending increase as the rest of us will. Ward E wants services and help desks that the rest of us don't want or need. We need tax relief more than anything else.

Quote:

arcy wrote:
Back to the original topic,
Jersey City passed a complete streets resolution in 2011

The resolution stipulates that all new construction and reconstruction in the city must be designed to safely accommodate all users, including pedestrians and bicyclists.

http://njbikeped.org/wp-content/uploa ... te-Streets-Resoultion.pdf

tp://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... -streets%E2%80%99-policy/

In 2013, The Jersey City Police Department has received a $27,900 grant from the New Jersey Division of Highway to beef up pedestrian and traffic safety in the city.
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... s_jersey_city_police.html

Jersey City has been chosen as a focus city by the FHWA and the NJTPA and they will be participating in a Pedestrian Safety Pilot program

And Jersey City is part of a Pedestrian Safety Pilot program with the DOT
http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike/p ... ction/njersey/njersey.pdf

More info re: Complete Streets
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation ... ydevelopmentguide2012.pdf

Posted on: 2013/9/12 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
Hi everyone -

Here is a link to the recommendations. These recommendations will be vetted with the traffic and engineering departments next week. It surely is not perfect, but I wanted to start somewhere.

We will measure the results, we won't just place things out there and hope for the best. As a part of phase 2 analysis, we will look at those results and the community feedback and do a "start/stop/continue".

http://www.slideshare.net/candiceosbo ... recommendationswardefinal

Best,
Candice

Thanks for providing this, we definitely need a lot of traffic changes. Item #17, btw, has a list of intersections, but no description of what is happening there. I'm assuming it's for stop signs?

edit: never mind, just looked at the actual slides instead of just the descriptions. 7th & Monmouth ABSOLUTELY needs an all-way stop.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 16:25

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017