Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

Re: Future of Newport Mall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm fine in theory with a mall existing there, but not at the expense of urban fabric. Currently, the mall exists at the expense of urban fabric.

To give one example, the parking deck has a large footprint, and it is always empty. That needs to go away or be drastically downsized.

When the Newport Mall was built, nobody wanted to come to Jersey City for any reason, so there was ample parking to try to attract people from far away to come in their cars, park, and shop. Times have changed and in an ideal world the architecture would reflect that.

People in this thread have said it's a silly complaint, but I don't agree - the current layout of the mall caters to an automobile demographic and it physically cuts off downtown from the waterfront.

In terms of urban planning, it is about as large of a wart as you can ask for.

It seems like ideas are being floated around that could amend that, but I don't think it will ever be perfect as long as that structure remains.

It's not that hard to dream big, and at the very least, it's fun. An example of a mall space very, very beautifully executed and integrated into the streetscape is the Paseo Nuevo in Santa Barbara, CA: http://www.paseonuevoshopping.com/

Posted on: 2013/9/5 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
LOL. I was distracted by someone saying they were wearing a scarf today.

You know, JCPenny and Sears are only a few years (if less) from going out of business. Don't you think it would be likely that Lord and Taylor and Nordstrom's replace them? Look at what other NJ malls have. We already have a Kohl's so I don't see a Boscov's.

Agree that Macy's is a test store- I like it, great selection. Only issue that it is sometimes very rummaged especially when there is a sale.

The mall isn't going away- it's going to adapt. The area- DTJC, Hoboken, and NYC is full of suburban expats- and we love our malls. The mall has been adapting. I want a place where I can get a cheap meal, catch a movie, buy clothes...I'm younger so I like not just Macy's but also Express and H&M. I like the CVS. I like that there will be a tea store. I like picking up gifts and gift cards.

There is plenty of space for organicky stuff and kale and pseuedo-Brooklynism or whatever else in the rest of downtown. Leave the mall alone.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
Quote:
Ditto on J. Crew and Banana. I wish Eddie Bauer would come back to the mall, but they barely have any brick-and-mortar stores left as it is. Not even in Manhattan.

Oh Joy! A restaurant serving mayo on white bread can't be too far behind in the food court then. Yum!

Yes...I get all my professional clothing from jimmy jazz and journeys and everyone should too...

Posted on: 2013/9/5 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

Even the Macy's there persists in stocking crappier clothing than Macy's elsewhere.

Actually, that is not true - the Macy's in Newport is kind of cool... it's a test site for everything new and tends to keep the latest and greatest... doesn't keep the inventory of Herald square, but I know plenty of people that do well shopping there.

They also keep brands like Ralph Lauren - traditional and classy...

I think JCrew could do well at Newport. I am pretty sure that Eddie Bauer, as a brand, is almost gone...

Posted on: 2013/9/5 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
Quote:
Ditto on J. Crew and Banana. I wish Eddie Bauer would come back to the mall, but they barely have any brick-and-mortar stores left as it is. Not even in Manhattan.

Oh Joy! A restaurant serving mayo on white bread can't be too far behind in the food court then. Yum!

Hey, I'm all for food diversity, but my wardrobe for the most part is white bread, because guess what? I work for a white bread company and I like the steady paycheck. Maybe you have an artsy job where you can get away with dressing edgy? Good for you! I suspect most people here don't. I also have a very average middle-aged body, so Forever 21, Hollister and the mostly teen clothing retailers at the mall aren't for me. But if you like and look good in teen clothes, again, mazel tov. I haven't shopped at Newport in years, and it doesn't seem like I will be anytime soon. Even the Macy's there persists in stocking crappier clothing than Macy's elsewhere. No big deal. It's easy enough for me to shop online or in Manhattan.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Asif, I don't understand your comment. What are you trying to convey?
I'd like to see more middle of the road stores at the mall, so that I don't have to travel so far to shop for work clothes. Yes, I work and need to look professional. I don't want to spend a fortune and I don't want to travel to the suburbs to get to stores that sell clothes I can wear to work. BR and jcrew have great sales in which you can pick up such clothes at a reasonable price.

This is not a bad thing. The mall can use some diversity in its offerings.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2013/9/4 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
I'd like to see the addition of Jcrew and Banana Republic. Getting an upscale department store would probably be asking too much, as this stage.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
I'd like to see the addition of Jcrew and Banana Republic. Getting an upscale department store would probably be asking too much, as this stage.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
How does this have ANYTHING to do with the future of Newport Mall?

Can we start a new thread for this - maybe call it:

"jackasses have semi-racist debate on who carries luxury bags"

This thread used to be interesting/useful... god, this is so JCList.

Bringing it back on topic... I am happy to see the new arrivals. Newport Mall will continue to elevate... Would be nice to see it become a Manhattan accessible Short Hills. If we are lucky, that might be 10-20 years out...

Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
In regards to the comment that every Asian woman has a LV bag - it's only partially true. I'd say that every Asian woman carries a high end expensive bag, branding varies from LV, Prada, Fendi, and perhaps Channel.

So when I see pictures of malnurished kids in India on Chanel 5 is it because their mommies spent the grocery money on a handbag instead of going to the Piggly Wiggly?

Posted on: 2013/9/4 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Nah. It's probably because they're vegetarian.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
In regards to the comment that every Asian woman has a LV bag - it's only partially true. I'd say that every Asian woman carries a high end expensive bag, branding varies from LV, Prada, Fendi, and perhaps Channel.

So when I see pictures of malnurished kids in India on Chanel 5 is it because their mommies spent the grocery money on a handbag instead of going to the Piggly Wiggly?

Posted on: 2013/9/4 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users

When I went to HK ~10 years ago, every local women carried a high end brand. I used to joke with my friends that even the beggar has a LV bag!!!

THe reason is that all the counterfeits were (and still are) made in either China / HK, and therefore there are tons of fakes on the streets. 10 years ago, a good quality LV fake costs about $100 HK Dollars, which at the time was about $12 - $15 US dollars. It's cheaper to buy a fake than a legit local brand!!!

Even though counterfeiting is wrong, I can't say it's right to charge $2000 for a handbag either.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 22:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Funniest line I have ever read on this board. Laughing.

Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Luis Vuitton bags.

Best typo of the day, thank you. But what does one wear as an alternative, Bodega Veneta?

Posted on: 2013/9/3 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dwtnguys wrote:
Quote:

iamboogz1 wrote:

If you needed a place to really discuss how about the importance of the rundown shoprite/BJ's/Pepboys across the street? Do we need this hideous grocery store and pothole filled parking lot or can we replace with somethin?

What is your basis for this statement? All three of these establishments are constantly busy with shoppers. Agreed that they need to spruce up, but they provide vital services to many people.

Kudos to JC Shoprite for being probably the first store to reopen downtown after Sandy. They let people recharge their cellphones in-store, and really went out of their way to help people.

The Hoboken Shoprite in comparison didn't re-open till Feb or so - though I wish the JC store carried the same quality of produce.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Luis Vuitton bags.

Best typo of the day, thank you. But what does one wear as an alternative, Bodega Veneta?

Merde! Hah, a decade in JC and a home address on Luis Mu?oz Mar?n Blvd. have obviously stamped out the froggie influence of having lived several years in Paris. And the irony is I've even met Bernard Arnault.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 20:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/14 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iamboogz1 wrote:

If you needed a place to really discuss how about the importance of the rundown shoprite/BJ's/Pepboys across the street? Do we need this hideous grocery store and pothole filled parking lot or can we replace with somethin?

What is your basis for this statement? All three of these establishments are constantly busy with shoppers. Agreed that they need to spruce up, but they provide vital services to many people.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Luis Vuitton bags.

That's their inner city brands.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 20:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/3 20:39
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The purpose of the mall originally was for a center of commerce for the residents of jersey city so they do not have to travel to NYC to shop as in the 80's and 90's most of downtown was not residential and mostly all industrial. Growing in jersey city, downtown was never a place one desired to make residence at.
Newport mall was the place that everyone used to go to meet up before we hopped onto the path and head into the city. And sometimes on Friday nights, go there to hang out and flirt with girls and try to catch a movie. While I agree that in the 2013 Jersey city, we have to find a better purpose for the mall i also understand that the mall provides plenty of job opportunities to the inner city kids that take the light rail from Greenville to work at one the many stores there. While you all may bash and even ridicule these usefulness of the mall, it does provide some important distractions needed for the youth of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Luis Vuitton bags.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
Newport mall, that mall is still open?
Last time I went in there was about 5 years ago. What a dump!
Why would I pay to park then to go shop.
I remember when It was only 50cents to park there which wasn't bad but now its rediclious.
Screw them!!!

+1 I honestly thought the mall was for teenagers.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 19:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/3 19:04
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JadedJC wrote: I'd rather carry a plastic Shop Rite bag, thank you very much.

+1

Posted on: 2013/9/3 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Comparing LV to Coach is like comparing Armani (Not AX btw) to Gap. There are various other brands on the same level, quality and price-wise, as LV...and Coach is not one of them.

I didn't put Coach and LV on the same level. I KNOW Luis Vuitton bags are priced much higher than Coach. All I'm saying is if I'm going to spend $1000 on a handbag, I sure as hell am not going to get one that every Asian woman owns, nor one that's knocked off so much. You really need to lighten up. Not everyone is as hung up on status and labels as you are. P.S. I am wearing a Gap jacket today with an Herm?s scarf. Try not to let your head explode over that thought.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Isn't there a coach store there

It wouldn't surprise me. My impression is that Coach and Louis Vuitton have become identified as inner city luxury brands. Vuitton is active in the anti-knockoff campaigns and in limiting availability of their product. Maybe Coach is taking a different strategy, such as maximizing sales with less concern for being exclusive.

There is a Coach store at Newport. Its biggest draw is the 3.5% sales tax. I have friends from the city and other parts of NJ who go there specifically because of the lower tax. The savings can add up if you're paying several hundred dollars for a handbag. I wouldn't say either brand is inner-city luxury, everyone I know has at least a Coach and/or LV bag. Coach has adopted what it calls an "accessible luxury" strategy. It's lowest-priced bags start around $250-$300, which ain't cheap but it's attainable even for the working class. And if you're on their mailing list, they'll often send you a promo for 25% or $100 off a bag. LV doesn't go that marketing route, but it seems to me that EVERY Asian woman I bump into has that ubiquitous bag with the LV logo stamped all over it. I have friends in Asia who would die of shame if they were caught in public without an LV bag. I'd rather carry a plastic Shop Rite bag, thank you very much.

Comparing LV to Coach is like comparing Armani (Not AX btw) to Gap. There are various other brands on the same level, quality and price-wise, as LV...and Coach is not one of them.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me. My impression is that Coach and Louis Vuitton have become identified as inner city luxury brands. Vuitton is active in the anti-knockoff campaigns and in limiting availability of their product. Maybe Coach is taking a different strategy, such as maximizing sales with less concern for being exclusive.

There is a Coach store at Newport. Its biggest draw is the 3.5% sales tax. I have friends from the city and other parts of NJ who go there specifically because of the lower tax. The savings can add up if you're paying several hundred dollars for a handbag. I wouldn't say either brand is inner-city luxury, everyone I know has at least a Coach and/or LV bag. Coach has adopted what it calls an "accessible luxury" strategy. It's lowest-priced bags start around $250-$300, which ain't cheap but it's attainable even for the working class. And if you're on their mailing list, they'll often send you a promo for 25% or $100 off a bag. LV doesn't go that marketing route, but it seems to me that EVERY Asian woman I bump into has that ubiquitous bag with the LV logo stamped all over it. I have friends in Asia who would die of shame if they were caught in public without an LV bag. I'd rather carry a plastic Shop Rite bag, thank you very much.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/3 12:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I thought virtually all chains used Sysco produce, with perhaps different dressings. At least they taste that way to me...

http://www.sysco.com/

Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
FYI, pursuant to the Subway discussion: http://foodbabe.com/2012/06/12/is-subway-real-food/

Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

daisyduke wrote:
There is also a subway 2 blocks away from the Grove Street one on Montgomery! So I think it is getting overrun.

Over run by whom ? I've been inside a few Subway shops, it smells, it's hot, and their coldcuts are precut. In this area I like Blimpie Base #3 the best, and the owners/workers are clean and easy to communicate with. SW is just another corporate franchise that anyone and their mother can own. Blimpies started in Hudson County by a few friends and has been a local staple ever since.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 4:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
FYI, pursuant to the Subway discussion: http://foodbabe.com/2012/06/12/is-subway-real-food/

Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

daisyduke wrote:
There is also a subway 2 blocks away from the Grove Street one on Montgomery! So I think it is getting overrun.

Over run by whom ? I've been inside a few Subway shops, it smells, it's hot, and their coldcuts are precut. In this area I like Blimpie Base #3 the best, and the owners/workers are clean and easy to communicate with. SW is just another corporate franchise that anyone and their mother can own. Blimpies started in Hudson County by a few friends and has been a local staple ever since.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/3 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Newport mall, that mall is still open?
Last time I went in there was about 5 years ago. What a dump!
Why would I pay to park then to go shop.
I remember when It was only 50cents to park there which wasn't bad but now its rediclious.
Screw them!!!

Posted on: 2013/9/2 23:47

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017