Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: NYTimes article "Moving deeper into Brooklyn for lower home prices" -- getting lots of JC comments
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Also, JC really doesn't lack nightlife. There are places as varied as the Beer Garden, Powerhouse, Pint, Lucky 7s, Barcade (better than the BK one) and much of downtown is walking distance to Hoboken.

Saying JC has nightlife is like saying your crazy uncle who is able to pull coins out of kids' ears is a magician. Come on. You bring any Manhattan or even Brooklyn person to JC and take them out, they will be disappointed. There is absolutely no club scene in downtown JC. The bars are a drag and mostly empty.

The powerhouse lounge is a middle aged real estate meeting on most nights.

Beer garden is dead by 1:00 on most non special event nights.

So if your idea of a nightlife is playing with sticky controls in a dank, crowded barcade when the machine actually works and accepts your quarters, then yes, JC has a nightlife.

I enjoy our disputes but for the first time, I have to agree with you. JC night life is pathetic and pretty lame. LOL @ the powerhouse.

The place near grove should not be turned into the 100th pizza place in downtown. It should be downtown's first actual club - how great would that be...

Back in the 90's DTJC was full of night life, but their is a new breed of folks DTJC and I actually do not think a club will sit well with them in their own backyard. Clubs attract folks from other wards, and we can't have that. Most think this is some sort of suburb.

I think clubs will work well over at 440. Maybe the city can make that the club district... :)

No dingy clubs. I'm talking about high class clubbing, the likes of the le bain or pacha. Good DJs, swanky establishments, good dance music, dress code, admission and cover, security, etc. JC offers unparalleled views of NYC and clubs can take advantage of that. This type of clubbing experience will be aimed towards the condo owners/renters in the luxury highrises.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 21:57

Re: NYTimes article "Moving deeper into Brooklyn for lower home prices" -- getting lots of JC comments
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well, the nightlife has come millions of miles over the past couple of years. When I first moved to JC, there really weren't many options, and now, there are at least a handful of good options.

I find it very surprising that there aren't more bar options considering the demographics of downtown. I think it's by design (zoning basically requires bars to be restaurants as well, so most places have more of a restaurant vibe than a bar vibe). Really lame if you ask me. There are suburban towns with more bars than Downtown JC, and a comparable neighborhood in Brooklyn would certainly have more options.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 21:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/19 19:16
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
JC is actually much more on par with Brooklyn than most think in terms of nightlife.

We have a diverse bar scene with everything from old school Latin dives to Hipster hangouts and some very good restaurants.

Hoboken is right next door and is packed with bars and clubs. In terms of distance, its just as if it were another neighborhood of the same city. The same way someone from Park Slope or Carroll Gardens would go to Williamsburg for some action, we can go to Hoboken.

When it comes to a real club scene, only Manhattan has that. Not Brooklyn, Not Jersey, Not Queens or anywhere else for that matter. The City is where the action is, end of story. It has always been that way and no surrounding neighborhood or borough can compete. That's not ever going to change.

Brooklyn has some great neighborhoods, but at the end of the day you can't compare a borough of 2.5 million to a city of 250k. Some neighborhoods are similar, and others are vastly different.

Living in outer Brooklyn where commutes into the city can be over an hour cannot even remotely compare to JC where you have multiple train stops within 15 min of Tribeca, Soho, Greenwich Village, Meatpacking and Chelsea.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you want JC neighborhoods to improve, you have to look at the schools. The public schools in JC are a disgrace. Ferris, Dickson, Snyder, Lincoln - all terrible.

They should first adopt the best practices that have made McNair so successful and then accept kids from all over NJ. They need to be given a timeline to improve and if they do not, privatize or shut them down. Someone mentioned that NJ schools are producing criminals and I agree - with the above schools the highest offenders.

Start with the kids and everything else will fall into place.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Also, JC really doesn't lack nightlife. There are places as varied as the Beer Garden, Powerhouse, Pint, Lucky 7s, Barcade (better than the BK one) and much of downtown is walking distance to Hoboken.

Saying JC has nightlife is like saying your crazy uncle who is able to pull coins out of kids' ears is a magician. Come on. You bring any Manhattan or even Brooklyn person to JC and take them out, they will be disappointed. There is absolutely no club scene in downtown JC. The bars are a drag and mostly empty.

So if your idea of a nightlife is playing with sticky controls in a dank, crowded barcade when the machine actually works and accepts your quarters, then yes, JC has a nightlife.

I enjoy our disputes but for the first time, I have to agree with you. JC night life is pathetic and pretty lame. LOL @ the powerhouse.

The place near grove should not be turned into the 100th pizza place in downtown. It should be downtown's first actual club - how great would that be...

Back in the 90's DTJC was full of night life, but their is a new breed of folks DTJC and I actually do not think a club will sit well with them in their own backyard. Clubs attract folks from other wards, and we can't have that. Most think this is some sort of suburb.

I think clubs will work well over at 440. Maybe the city can make that the club district... :)

Posted on: 2013/3/11 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
For better or for worse, downtown Jersey City's gentrification has raised the price point of housing. Today, downtown Jersey City simply doesn't actually compete with Brooklyn if your primary motivation is price to travel time.

I'd disagree with that assessment. We initially started looking in Brooklyn when we were buying last year and by the time we were in our price range our options were places like Ditmas Park, Bushwick, and other places mentioned in the NY Times article. For the same price we were able to live two stops from Manhattan in Jersey City (Grove St). Two stops from Manhattan in Brooklyn means Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, Fort Greene, etc. PRIME neighborhoods. To get the same space we have in JC in one of those neighborhoods our budget would have needed to be 50% higher (or more).

No matter how you cut it, if you're talking proximity to Manhattan vs. price, JC wins over Brooklyn by a mile. There's plenty of arguments you can make about Brooklyn's superiority to Jersey City but price ain't one of them.

And regarding the taxes being so high in JC (which they are) , you can't discount the savings from not having to pay NYC income taxes.

You are simply wrong. Bushwick, for instance, might be many more stops further out but the L train runs so much more frequently and so much faster, the travel time to 14th street is about the same and the commute to midtown is less.

MTA stations are much closer together than the PATH, which means for more people, the walking component is significantly less as well. Many more people live within a block of an MTA station than live within the same distance of the PATH.

Sunset Park and South Slope are definitely as close to Manhattan -- in terms of actual travel time -- than Jersey City. Of course you can find exceptions. If you work at the World Trade Center site and live at Grove Pointe, that might be a faster commute. Well, except after midnight.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2013/3/11 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I am not bashing JC, I love it, and so do most of my buddies. However JC seems to have the double whammy of high property taxes and public schools that are known to create criminals.

The schools aren't great (though most downtown are getting better fast) but WTF?

There's the problem, a city can not thrive when only one part is getting better. Especially if a person looking in BK with a budget of 400k they simply can not afford 850k for a house dtjc, and not to many folks are looking to raise a family in a condo.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2013/3/11 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2013/3/11 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I am not bashing JC, I love it, and so do most of my buddies. However JC seems to have the double whammy of high property taxes and public schools that are known to create criminals.

Nope no bashing there. It must be the shanking 101 that they offer in the 1st grade. The schools aren't great (though most downtown are getting better fast) but WTF?

Fortunately both Manhattan and Brooklyn are known for all their wonderful, free schools and low cost of living. The problem with taxes and schools is very apparent when comparing JC to Summit or Milburn or Westfield. Not so apparent when comparing JC to Brooklyn.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
For better or for worse, downtown Jersey City's gentrification has raised the price point of housing. Today, downtown Jersey City simply doesn't actually compete with Brooklyn if your primary motivation is price to travel time.

I'd disagree with that assessment. We initially started looking in Brooklyn when we were buying last year and by the time we were in our price range our options were places like Ditmas Park, Bushwick, and other places mentioned in the NY Times article. For the same price we were able to live two stops from Manhattan in Jersey City (Grove St). Two stops from Manhattan in Brooklyn means Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, Fort Greene, etc. PRIME neighborhoods. To get the same space we have in JC in one of those neighborhoods our budget would have needed to be 50% higher (or more).

No matter how you cut it, if you're talking proximity to Manhattan vs. price, JC wins over Brooklyn by a mile. There's plenty of arguments you can make about Brooklyn's superiority to Jersey City but price ain't one of them.

And regarding the taxes being so high in JC (which they are) , you can't discount the savings from not having to pay NYC income taxes.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

I think that is why JC attracts so many gays without children. Within a four block radius of where I live there are more gay couples and singles with cars than straight couples with children.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/11 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Hey I have an idea, let's use this thread as an excuse to bitch about JC. I don't think the other 95% of the threads have enough bitching.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I think Brooklyn has more of a rich history and is more attractive to people arriving to the Metro area.
People associate Brooklyn with big names; celebrities, athletes, & politicians.

Jersey City is known for corruption, a divided city the have's and the have not's, high taxes, only direct transportation to NYC is the path or buses there is no SUBWAY (biggest deal breaker) . the path only stops between JSQ and dtjc, only one good part of the city is safe enough to live in, and mediocre night life.

My house in Brooklyn would be 699k in some of the worst areas in BK, but its Brooklyn. BK, and Queens have much more of a demand for housing.

Jersey City is only known to be nice in the last 10 years and as most point out on this board (daily) that only downtown JC is even worth considering for buying or renting.

So as new home buyers come into the market it is easy to understand why they choose BK over Jersey City. Jersey City is great but it is still use as a punchline.

1) 9 out of 10 people who move to this area from another area couldn't care less about the history of the area, or even really the local politics. They care about what's there NOW, including the amenities, entertainment/dining options, and transportation.

2) The Path IS a subway. It runs 24 hours a day.

3) I don't think Jersey City is any sort of a punchline. I think it was, but in the past 5 years a LOT has changed, and people KNOW about Jersey City. I work in an industry filled with young people who are cool or at least think of themselves as cool, and almost everybody I tell that I live in JC is aware of it and has pretty good things to say. This is drastically different than when I moved to JC 7 years ago.

4) Yes, Brooklyn has a better/stronger national brand than JC. But Brooklyn right now has a better brand than anything in the NYC area, including Manhattan. Remember this - up until 10 years ago, there really wasn't a "cool" perception of Brooklyn at all. Through the 90s, if you met a person from Brooklyn you would likely have a somewhat negative stereotype (loud/obnoxious, thick accent, etc). Remember, the term "bridge and tunnel" referred to people crossing bridges and tunnels from Brooklyn and Queens as much as it referred to people coming from NJ.

Sorry the same way most of you rag on GV most of NJ & NYC rags on Jersey City the same way. So yes, its a punchline, the best one I heard was the episode of 30 Rock when Jack thought Liz new b/f lived in JC if you can youtube it, funny stuff. I had a few friends from Cali who never even heard of JC until I move here, but BK they have heard of.

As far BK not being cool in the 90's not true I went to school in the 90's and had more of a cool factor being from there then any of my buddies from Westchester, or Morris Township. BK is known for its pop culture Like Movies, from "Do the right thing" to "Saturday Night Fever" and its music from Jay Z to Citizen Cope all from BK. I love JC, but I know that I am a minority like most of you, and more of minority because I love living in GV.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm curious on this perception that the Path train is somehow this insanley crowded nightmare. Aside from when things were a disaster post-Sandy I'd argue that it's better than the subway. I take the train to WTC every morning and while it's crowded there's always room to get on. The 33rd street train seems downright pleasant compared to the subway. Probably because the 33rd st train only runs from JSQ but the trains look like they're at half capacity.

Before I moved to JC about a year ago I lived all over Manhattan and Brooklyn. I commuted on the J/Z/A/C/4/5/N/R and every one of them was as bad or worse (sometimes MUCH worse) than the PATH.

Sorry, I know this is a bit of a tangent but every time something about gentrification or development comes up here people start making it seem like the PATH is the Tokyo subway.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
People USED to make fun of Chelsea, Harlem, the MeatPacking area (yuck!), Williamsburg, Bushwicj, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 18:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/11 18:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
4) Yes, Brooklyn has a better/stronger national brand than JC.

Remember that part of Brooklyn's current brand is negative. Just say hipster or ask people where's the Portlandia of NYC.

JC could still use some upgrades, but hope everybody else stays stuck on the mystique of the New York label. It makes life a lot easier on this side of the river.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I think Brooklyn has more of a rich history and is more attractive to people arriving to the Metro area.

Jersey City is known for corruption, a divided city the have's and the have not's, high taxes, only direct transportation to NYC is the path or buses there is no SUBWAY (biggest deal breaker) . the path only stops between JSQ and dtjc, only one good part of the city is safe enough to live in, and mediocre night life.

My house in Brooklyn would be 699k in some of the worst areas in BK, but its Brooklyn. BK, and Queens have much more of a demand for housing.

Jersey City is only known to be nice in the last 10 years and as most point out on this board (daily) that only downtown JC is even worth considering for buying or renting.

So as new home buyers come into the market it is easy to understand why they choose BK over Jersey City. Jersey City is great but it is still use as a punchline.

1) 9 out of 10 people who move to this area from another area couldn't care less about the history of the area, or even really the local politics. They care about what's there NOW, including the amenities, entertainment/dining options, and transportation.

2) The Path IS a subway. It runs 24 hours a day.

3) I don't think Jersey City is any sort of a punchline. I think it was, but in the past 5 years a LOT has changed, and people KNOW about Jersey City. I work in an industry filled with young people who are cool or at least think of themselves as cool, and almost everybody I tell that I live in JC is aware of it and has pretty good things to say. This is drastically different than when I moved to JC 7 years ago.

4) Yes, Brooklyn has a better/stronger national brand than JC. But Brooklyn right now has a better brand than anything in the NYC area, including Manhattan. Remember this - up until 10 years ago, there really wasn't a "cool" perception of Brooklyn at all. Through the 90s, if you met a person from Brooklyn you would likely have a somewhat negative stereotype (loud/obnoxious, thick accent, etc). Remember, the term "bridge and tunnel" referred to people crossing bridges and tunnels from Brooklyn and Queens as much as it referred to people coming from NJ.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I definitely agree that there should be transportation options but that is hardly a deal breaker. The subways are plenty crowded as well.

Society Hill is a $25 cab ride to Hoboken. Is that much different from Crown Heights? Except Society Hill is gated and cheaper and no extra tax on your income.

It's not like the article is comparing JC to Brooklyn Heights, you want to talk stigma, mention many of those neighborhoods to people who grew up around them.

My parents grew up in Sunset Park. I remember going to my grandparents and being afraid to walk near the window. Beyond good Chinese and Mexican food it's not a nice place to live. 8th Avenue makes Newark Avenue look like Rodeo Drive.

Also in terms of subway vs PATH, the PATH is cheaper and cleaner...now of course their response to Sandy was horrific but in the long term PATH is likely better, not saying much though.

In regards to the jitney, it only goes to the PA...this is why JSQ will be the next major gentrification point beyond a few blocks left downtown.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
What do prospective people think when they're considering Jersey City? The PATH is already at capacity during rush hour, so what will happen after the several planned construction projects around JSQ and Grove St are completed? Thousands of new residents will be commuting into Manhattan. Just think Williamsburg without the viable option of biking across a bridge. I guess we're going to have to start getting used to the $6 one-way ferry rides? Carpooling into Manhattan, paying $16 for the toll and then spending another $30 for parking is not an option. I guess the other option would be wake up early and just get on the train at 5-6am? Seriously, there really needs to be another option for the public to commute into the city. The Port Authority monopoly must be broken.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Ouch... there will always be people who are manhattan centric and look upon with disdain others who reside in different boroughs. I'm glad i live in jersey city and do not have the enormous carrying costs of friends who live in manhattan and spend 4000 a month in rent. I pay only a fraction of that in my mortgage and have a much better quality of life with the extra money.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
so true that JC is used as a punchline. I remember bringing something into a charity in manhattan and filling out the donation form. I wrote JC for Jersey City, and the woman said" what's JC?". I explained to her that JC meant Jersey City and she replied: "too embarassed to say Jersey City"

Posted on: 2013/3/11 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

malcontent wrote:
Quote:
We quickly got over the psychological barrier of the Hudson

This is the issue most people have. JC is not 'cool', Brooklyn is.

Cool can cost ya, J.C. a place where you can hang your hat.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 16:29
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/11 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Plenty of wild party animals manage to live in the Heights and get to Manhattan. Take those little jitney buses into Port Authority or take the PATH to JSQ and then cab it. Really! If the price is right, why not?

Posted on: 2013/3/11 15:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/18 7:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
We quickly got over the psychological barrier of the Hudson

This is the issue most people have. JC is not 'cool', Brooklyn is.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Glad to see this article pop up here for discussion. I was reading it yesterday and I'm amazed that people are opting for places like Crown Heights and Prospect-Lefferts Garden over Jersey City. My fiance and I were among those who were looking to purchase deeper into Brooklyn when we realized the places we were seeing were essentially in the ghetto or in areas with very little in the way of amenities. We quickly got over the psychological barrier of the Hudson when we found what was available minutes from Manhattan for the same price range as Ditmas Park, Crown Heights, etc.

I'm torn on whether I want to see JC stay just as it is without the pretensions of the inner ring Brooklyn hoods or whether I am rooting for the full on "Brooklyn-fication" of Downtown JC and the amenities that would mean.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
The Heights, safe or not, lacks the 24/7 Manhattan access...

There are blocks downtown (esp Holland Gardens area but even places closer to Grove St) that are kind of down on their luck, but close enough to a PATH stop to gentrified.

Then you still have JSQ, Harrison, and even the Ironbound in Newark.

I'm buying a condo in JC and I doubt I could get the space and nice building I am, not to mention closeness to 24/7 Manhattan access, in BK or Queens.

Not to mention the fact that I don't fear for my life walking to and from the PATH like I do late at night walking to and from my friend's place in BK. And no NYC income tax.

The only thing "against" the Gold Coast are the outrageous property taxes. Otherwise, I think Hoboken (still chepaer thank BK) and JC are no brainers over BK or Queens.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 15:03

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017