Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
75 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: The Hamilton Inn
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
if the owner reads the board, then he probably gets the idea what didn't work opening night ... and if the problem persists, he has only one person to blame ....

if it survives, fine ... if not, someone else will try to run the place, instead ...

case closed ...

Posted on: 2010/4/3 3:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 1:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
To Sad Moment, I am a patron who lives in HP, not the owner. I did meet the new owner who is a great guy, invested alot of money into a business which has been open for one day and is subjected to aholes who are professional critics, the same happened when The Embankment opened and they never recovered. I also frequented when Maggie had it, the place was dirty, unkept , with horrible service, decent food, NO MUSIC, and NO TV"S to watch a game, and if she was doing great, which she wasn't , she would have kept it. So Sad Moment stick to politics and give someone who took a risk in this economy, in Jersey City, a helping hand .

As the old saying goes, free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, but here?s some free advice anyway for ?mattm????

Whatever your affiliation with Hamilton Inn, you?re never going to successfully grind any axes with this crowd. This is hardly the forum for defending what doesn?t need to be defended. People?s reviews will be whatever they are --- and quite frankly I don?t think that the review by ?tommyc_37? was out of line. The three biggies --- food, surroundings, and service ---- got above-average marks, which is pretty darn good for opening night!

If you are the owner, I would invite you to simply judge any and all reviews at face value and make adjustments in your operations as you wish ---- or as you wish not to. This blog is hardly full of rocket scientists, Rhodes scholars, or people who are going to split the atom anytime soon. Most of the people here couldn?t count their balls and get the same number twice (and that becomes so much truer based on the higher number of posts!). Nevertheless, these are the current patrons and the potential patrons of your establishment, so their opinions matter (to varying degrees) if you want them to spend money.

If indeed you are simply a patron who lives in HP and who has met the owner (as you claim to be), be assured that you are doing the owner a colossal disservice by engaging in the reactionary way that you have thus far ---- by being overly-defensive, by referring to a couple of reviews as ?aholes who are professional critics? and by taking a back-handed swipe at Maggie?s operation.

The fact is that options are woefully scarce on this end of town for a decent place to go. Coupled with the fact that there is a respectable amount of coin to be spent by people in this neighborhood, it?s the perfect storm for someone to really cultivate a loyal clientele for what could become the ?go to? place. Personally, I would absolutely want the most candid feedback in real-time that I could get if I owned and operated such an establishment --- even if that meant little review cards on the table for people to fill out for the first month or two of operations.

No one here would discount or dismiss someone taking a risk in this economy (your phrase from your post) to start such a business ---- and no one in their right mind would want to see it fail! Everyone in this neighborhood and beyond wants a new restaurant/bar option, and certainly no one wants to see another empty store front. By virtue of the fact that people share their candid reviews can be proof-positive that they actually do give a sh*t.

The truth is that the people here don?t have to be the ?professional critics? that you referenced because they already have an even greater credential ---- these are people who will be spending their money in this establishment! Their opinions matter whether you like it or not.

I would encourage you to see the early feedback here as a blessing and not a curse. Again, if you are actually the owner, then you?ve chosen the wrong business because you can?t be this thin-skinned about a few peripheral points of criticism like the decibel level of the music and the need for a few more beer selections.

And by the way, the current status of the Embankment has nothing to do with early reviews on this blog. The Embankment has continued to flounder because it has some of the worst service to be experienced anywhere --- a situation that they have not improved even after seeing the grilling it got here.

See? If they had only listened to the early candid reviews! Don?t make the same mistake of hubris.

Posted on: 2010/4/3 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mattm wrote:
... the same happened when The Embankment opened and they never recovered.

The Embankment never recovered from bad reviews on JClist?
Really?
I think you give us too much power.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Next time you talk to the owner tell him to turn down the music.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 22:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 22:06
Group:
Registered Users
To Sad Moment, I am a patron who lives in HP, not the owner. I did meet the new owner who is a great guy, invested alot of money into a business which has been open for one day and is subjected to aholes who are professional critics, the same happened when The Embankment opened and they never recovered. I also frequented when Maggie had it, the place was dirty, unkept , with horrible service, decent food, NO MUSIC, and NO TV"S to watch a game, and if she was doing great, which she wasn't , she would have kept it. So Sad Moment stick to politics and give someone who took a risk in this economy, in Jersey City, a helping hand .

Posted on: 2010/4/2 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mattm wrote:
I would like to visit Tommy C at his place of work spend a few hours there and then issue my report card to all of his vendors, is that really an appropriate way to treat a new business owner?

mattm, you're gonna get honest, opionated feedback here. A good owner will listen to customers and try to improve what they find deficient. My take on your place is that everyone loves your burgers but the noise level and music played are too loud and music is top 40 which a neighborhood bar needs to have an identity that is more personalized than chains. Also, sounds like your selection of beers is poor as most that go to bars here downtown have excellent selections of ales, craft brew beers and less of the bud, miller, coors selection. Also, many of us downtown remember when Maggie (Skinner's Loft) owed it and loved what she did with the place. The owner after her ran the business into the ground.

Dun & Bradstreet's Guide to Business Ratios list restaurants as the #1 rate of failure as some feel if they like to eat they can run a business. Listening to your customers, or potential customers, is a good way to insure you beat that failure ratio. Most here just want to find places they can frequent in their neighborhood rather than having to go to NYC or stay in NYC after work as their local bar is a failure. Take these comments to heart and try to improve what folks want might ensure your success.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2010/4/2 21:49
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mattm wrote:
I would like to visit Tommy C at his place of work spend a few hours there and then issue my report card to all of his vendors, is that really an appropriate way to treat a new business owner?

There's nothing inappropriate about what he wrote.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 20:51
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
i am getting the vibe that the expectations for this place from the standard slew of jclist malcontents were just a tad too high ... for anyone to achieve ...

Posted on: 2010/4/2 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mattm wrote:

People rate restaurants/bars all the time. What's the big deal? People like to get an idea of what the place is like before they go. I'm sure most people who read tommy c's review will go to the Hamilton Inn anyway and decide for themselves.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 17:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 22:06
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/2 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Oh, the music was not only way too loud, it was TERRIBLE music!

The only soundtrack I heard was screaming children. And I mean screaming. This had me and the huzzy running right outta there before even looking at a menu.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I dunno, I liked the spacious feel of the place which they accomplished by taking down the second door of the former vestibule. It will still maintain it's comfortable feel. This place has a great deal of potential and is likely to do really well. They've hit the ground running. But they just have to really lower the music, but it was exceptionally LOUD. My voice is horse from trying to converse while in there.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, the music was not only way too loud, it was TERRIBLE music! It was Top 40 crap. Who blasts Top 40 crap at a bar/restaurant? Seriously, any other type of music (jazz, non-pop rock, ethnic) would be OK, and even somewhat acceptable at that volume. But Top 40 music, BLASTED? Completely ruined the vibe, and gave it a SERIOUS corny factor.

Terrible, terrible selection of beers. This was far and away my biggest disappointment. This used to be an ale house, and now there is the most standard selection of beers. Extremely vanilla.

Although the decor is nice, and remains somewhat classic, the neighborhood bar vibe is completely gone. The layout is much more airy and open, which is good in a way, but again, destroys the cozy vibe that I personally liked. And the blasting Top 40 music puts the nail in the coffin on the neighborhood bar vibe.

It wasn't all negative though. My burger was really amazing. And I understand the vibe they are going for - more of a party bar at night, restaurant in early evening. This place will probably be pretty crowded and festive on weekend nights, which to be honest, the neighborhood has lacked (whether or not that'd good or bad in your opinion).

Here's my report card, for the first night:

Burger: A
Decor: B
Service: B
Beer selection: D
Music: D

Posted on: 2010/4/2 13:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I stopped in last night to show my support and wish them luck. The place looks great, the staff worked hard and were friendly. I did have a burger which was really good. My only one comment is it was really really LOUD in there. I asked the bartender to lower the music and he did, but it was still really LOUD. A few of my neighbors stopped in and shared my observations including that it was really LOUD.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 12:40

The Hamilton Inn
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Just got back. Had a burger and fries for $10. Good Angus burger with Swiss Cheese, thin sliced roma tomatoes and some lettuce. Fries were thick cut with a little skin on them and were slightly presalted. Tiny portion of cold foccacia bread and oil came out late. Waiter was attentive but very inexperienced and many others seemed that way. All to be expected for an opening. I'll certainly try them again and wish them luck. No refills on the soda. Only real negative in the experience. Was charged $2 each time for a small coke. $10 for burger, $4 for soda, $1 tax and $5 tip = $20 for whole thing. Looking forward to trying the paella on my next trip.

The Hamilton Inn
708 Jersey Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07302

Posted on: 2010/4/1 22:17

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/4/2 5:02:16
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017