Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Crime is Down, but 4 Cops Shot on Bergen
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SLyng wrote: I believe greenville said "do you even live in this city" - to which i would reply, "can you even read a map?"

The map does not tell the story buddy and apparently your such a weenie that you never walked around their to see the real distance. It's about the 3/4 distance from the Montgomery projects to dixon mills. Close I don't think so.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 18:21
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Seems like we could wait a day (or at least until the condition of the officer in critical condition stabilizes) before we get into ripping the administration and sniping over who knows which block better, no?

Posted on: 2009/7/16 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Indomitus wrote:
I wasn't suggesting anyone go there. Especially those unfamiliar with the area.

You were suggesting they weren't close to either Beacon or SP College... when in reality they are about 4 blocks away. And I was suggesting that whether or not you can *see* the Beacon, or *see* St. Peter's College from the actual street, doesn't mean they aren't close by. So people who were flaming the earlier poster who was asking if the street was close to Beacon were a bit misguided in their attacks when the proof is right there on the map.

I believe greenville said "do you even live in this city" - to which i would reply, "can you even read a map?"

Posted on: 2009/7/16 17:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I wasn't suggesting anyone go there. Especially those unfamiliar with the area.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Is it me, or does chief Porky Pig come off very cavalier in his
news conferences whenever something happens thats news worthy?

This guy is a poster child for everything thats wrong in this administration all the way up to the mayor.

Most large citys hire their police chiefs through a state or national search and not based on political patronage as is the case in JC.

I'm sorry to say, but things are not going to change as long as the status quo is allowed to continue and you can expect to see more of this garbage allowed to exist in JC!

MY 2 CENTS.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Indomitus wrote:
Its not like Sarah Palin seeing Russia from her house. You cannot see Beacon or St. Peters from that part of Reed St. at the corner of Bergen. You can probably see Beacon (off in the distance) from the end of Reed St. that ends on Monticello. One little block between Monticello and Bergen. Thats it. But lots of trouble.

Good Lord... I might not be able to *see* Fatburger or John's Pizzeria from Essex Street, but I know i wouldn't get in my car to drive there if i was hungry...

Posted on: 2009/7/16 17:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Its not like Sarah Palin seeing Russia from her house. You cannot see Beacon or St. Peters from that part of Reed St. at the corner of Bergen. You can probably see Beacon (off in the distance) from the end of Reed St. that ends on Monticello. One little block between Monticello and Bergen. Thats it. But lots of trouble.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 17:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/19 19:54
Group:
Registered Users
it really isn't near SPC or the beacon, really.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 17:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
ahhhh yes. the block that shelley's is on....

across from the chocolatier/ across from hudson catholic, down bergen.

get it right downtown!

Posted on: 2009/7/16 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
ASA-Alum wrote: Reed Street is not near St. Peters.
uh... it's within 4blocks of both St. Peters College (i.e. see that brown area on the map) & the Beacon (the pink-ish area on the map)... See below:
View Larger Map

Posted on: 2009/7/16 17:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/6 7:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

LynnePatrice wrote:
Horrible. Isn't that right near the Beacon?

It is not right near but it is about the same distance away as Van Vorst to the end of the Ferris HS field. It is closer to St Peters then it is to the Beacon though.

Reed Street is not near St. Peters. It doesn't cross JFK and it doesn't cross Bergen Avenue. Reed is about 4 blocks south of Montgomery Street -- about half a block south of Duncan and Bergen. Reed runs east from Bergen Avenue, parallel to Montgomery. About half a block north on Bergen Avenue, Duncan Avenue begins and runs west to JFK.

Reed Street has been a notorious cesspool of drug dealing for more than 40 years in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
I do want to state I agree the officers did a brave job. Unfortunately, its going to take a lot more brave jobs. I'm born and raised in Jersey City, been here going on 49 years. A few family members were Police in JC too and are now retired. I have quite a few friends on the Police force currently. It is not an easy job in Jersey City.

I really don't believe the Administration does enough towards ridding the bad element that they know have been here for years and know the bad neighborhoods. They have not provided adequate policing in a growing city.

To address the crime problem it needs to be attacked! Like him or not Giuliani did just that in NYC, provided more policing and equipped them better. Today we also have great technology that can help fight crime too, lets use it.

If our Administration can hold meeting for abatement's, then they can hold meetings showing their commitment to rid Jersey City of crime and bad element.

The council chambers would be packed with Jersey City citizens and from there with a commitment from the Administration along with taking serious action, more and more JC citizens would get involved...Crime and the Bad Element needs to be put under attack and on notice with Zero tolerance for them to operate in Jersey City.

Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
Quote:

DWNTWN_BRED wrote:
Havent been on in a while but for those who grew up here...Crime is drastically reduced here. You should have been around when I was growing up.

This is why all you yuppies are buying up all the property cause of the change...

For those who know him Officer Molina was the one shot in the back . Or Jr. for those who know him...

Countless "element" go into some of our not so great nieghborhood to flip a buck rather than improve the nieghbor hood and then complain when shti happens....boo hoo...Cry me a river Trust me when i say...sadly enough this is a lot better....

Those who dont like it do have the option to move...change takes a long time......A LONG TIME.......

I don't know why, but this post makes me sad. Maybe it's that the yuppie argument is entering in to something that I wish would be more about the officers and getting better than another boring opportunity to put in a yuppie comment. I hope the officers are okay, they did a great and brave thing.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 17:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DWNTWN_BRED wrote:
One of them is officer junior molina

my sister is good friends w frank. i hope he recovers fast and well.

when we find out the names, let us know.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
As someone who has lived downtown over 20 years I can say that I have actually helped the JCPD put seven people behind bars. The attitude of the police in each case was either very responsive to outright annoyed. We are talking about burglary cases of which I witnessed 3. I always respected cops and my Grandfather was a cop in Newark but some of the attitudes have eroded that respect. They had a very us vs. them attitude. Kind of that same old argument above. You are "yuppies" which is just BS and a cop-out. I understand the danger they face everyday but they go home at night and we live here. That is all. My thoughts are with the wounded officers and a speedy recovery.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Folks, if you do have information on what's going on with these officers, might I suggest you keep it to yourself- The people who need to know are family members & friends- I appreciate that there may be some direct info, but this sounds like just rumors to me- So unless you know first hand, some discretion- You have no idea whose kid may be reading this from school or something.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DWNTWN_BRED wrote:
Havent been on in a while but for those who grew up here...Crime is drastically reduced here. You should have been around when I was growing up.

This is why all you yuppies are buying up all the property cause of the change...

For those who know him Officer Molina was the one shot in the back . Or Jr. for those who know him...

Countless "element" go into some of our not so great nieghborhood to flip a buck rather than improve the nieghbor hood and then complain when shti happens....boo hoo...Cry me a river Trust me when i say...sadly enough this is a lot better....

Those who dont like it do have the option to move...change takes a long time......A LONG TIME.......

I don't know why, but this post makes me sad. Maybe it's that the yuppie argument is entering in to something that I wish would be more about the officers and getting better than another boring opportunity to put in a yuppie comment. I hope the officers are okay, they did a great and brave thing.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I just heard the worst off of the two critical officers had to be revived twice. Not just on the way to the hospitol like Healy said.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/1 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DWNTWN_BRED wrote:

...and thank goodness, I just heard that he's going to be ok

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/14 20:20
From Chilltown Baby!
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/14 20:20
From Chilltown Baby!
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
does anybody have names of these officers? i wish them all a speedy and safe recovery.

please, no more crime.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Quote:

LynnePatrice wrote:
Horrible. Isn't that right near the Beacon?

No it's more towards JFK, do you even live in this city?

Yes I do as*hole. I have lived here for 10 months and haven't had a reason to go over there. That's why I was asking. Thanks for the helpful response.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Residency requirements disqualify from service qualified personnel. Public salaries either must go up to offset the higher cost of living, or add to the public payrolls less qualified persons.

It would help if city employees had more invested other than a paycheck and a pension. Some people hate this city because it is crime-ridden while others hate it because they don't feel that city services are responsive. Just saying. It's kinda like the renters vs. owners thing.

I'm unclear what exactly you mean by the last statement - what does a shooting have to do with renters vs. owners? As far as I'm concerned a shooting like this impacts everyone in JC, whether you rent or own. Some "owners" care little about what goes on in JC, while some renters are extremely involved in their communities.

Hopefully i just misinterpreted what you meant...

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:13

Re: 10 to 20 shots heard in shootout with cops; that block is trouble, neighbor says
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
ENOUGH IS NOT IS BEING DONE ACROSS JERSEY CITY!
The administration has allowed areas for years to be known drug dens and bad element fester and grow in Jersey City. This situation must be addressed citywide.

Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Some of you guys are just plain retarded. I am not a healy fan at all, but WHAT DO YOU THINK THE RAID THAT LED TO THE SHOOTOUT IS ABOUT? if not trying to get rid of the "bad element" of jersey city. So if the admin does try to get rid of gangbangers they get bitched at, and if they dont do anything they also get it from the same whiners.

Quote:

JRL wrote:
Healy Administration, Comey...when the HELL are they going to get serious about ridding the bad element out of Jersey City. They need to address crime, attack it, take whatever means necessary get a handle on crime situation. Healy has run both times on platforms with a campaign promise of safer streets, more policing.

His Administration is too concerned with giving developers abatement's rather addressing a deep rooted issue such as crime.

Let's see city council meeting on the crime issue...People perhaps we need a march on City Hall...Let's call this administration out on crime...Make them provide a serious plan to address the bad element.

If I had my way, I say let's roll through Jersey City in Tanks and equipment for War and go after the bad element...Yes a War on Crime...round them up, do whatever it takes to show the criminasl and the bad element, that they are not welcome in Jersey City and take their business elsewhere.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Residency requirements disqualify from service qualified personnel. Public salaries either must go up to offset the higher cost of living, or add to the public payrolls less qualified persons.

It would help if city employees had more invested other than a paycheck and a pension. Some people hate this city because it is crime-ridden while others hate it because they don't feel that city services are responsive. Just saying. It's kinda like the renters vs. owners thing.

Probably not the right thread to be having this conversation, but I agree with Ian. Artificially restricting the pool of qualified applicants can only insure that you're going to end up with a lower quality organization. If you attach some sort of importance to being "part of the community", which I frankly think is dubious at best, so be it, but that intangible doesn't have a chance against the tangible (at the very least higher civil service scoring applicants, higher level of physical fitness, etc).

I'm not sure what's being suggested here- that officers when hired have to live in the city or that officers have to live here their entire career.

I can assure you that in the case of the latter, Jersey City's loss would be some suburban police department's gain- As a cop gets older, has a family, & looks perhaps to get his kid a yard if that's important to him, you're going to lose all his experience & knowledge- which is of no small value.

Cops are human beings with families & lives. This is a career for them. For some it is also a labor of love, but to pretend that they somehow owe anything beyond their duty is ludicrous. That some do contribute something more is laudable.

Think about the guys who went in on the entry team this morning. They got shot to pieces, with one guy's heart stopping on the way to the hospital. "A pension & a paycheck". Really? I think alot of people, myself included, would have called out on a day like today- These guys volunteer to be on that squad.

Do they get some sort of pay for it? Does it help their career? I'm sure it does. But you can't volunteer for that job based on a rational analysis of the cost/benefit- the potential cost is massive. Just a pension and a paycheck vs. a shotgun blast to the face? I'd say they have something invested in humanity, possibly taking that shotgun blast from some scumbag so that the rest of us don't have to.

So why do they do it? Lots of reasons, and most of them say good things about them, wherever they lay their head at night.

There are some petrified wives, husbands and children this morning- many of them don't live in Jersey City either.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:10

Re: 10 to 20 shots heard in shootout with cops; that block is trouble, neighbor says
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Some of you guys are just plain retarded. I am not a healy fan at all, but WHAT DO YOU THINK THE RAID THAT LED TO THE SHOOTOUT IS ABOUT? if not trying to get rid of the "bad element" of jersey city. So if the admin does try to get rid of gangbangers they get bitched at, and if they dont do anything they also get it from the same whiners.

Quote:

JRL wrote:
Healy Administration, Comey...when the HELL are they going to get serious about ridding the bad element out of Jersey City. They need to address crime, attack it, take whatever means necessary get a handle on crime situation. Healy has run both times on platforms with a campaign promise of safer streets, more policing.

His Administration is too concerned with giving developers abatement's rather addressing a deep rooted issue such as crime.

Let's see city council meeting on the crime issue...People perhaps we need a march on City Hall...Let's call this administration out on crime...Make them provide a serious plan to address the bad element.

If I had my way, I say let's roll through Jersey City in Tanks and equipment for War and go after the bad element...Yes a War on Crime...round them up, do whatever it takes to show the criminasl and the bad element, that they are not welcome in Jersey City and take their business elsewhere.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/7/16 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Five cops shot, 2 suspects killed in Jersey City shootout linked to investigation of June shooting caught on video by Charles Hack and Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal Thursday July 16, 2009, 10:48 AM Four Jersey City police officers and a Port Authority police officer were shot this morning, two critically, and two suspects killed during an investigation into the case of a man shot on Broadway last month that had been caught on surveillance video, sources told The Jersey Journal. Officers were watching a stolen vehicle on Reed Street at Bergen Avenue when a man and a woman exited a nearby building and the man opened fire with a shotgun, shattering the passenger window of an unmarked police car, police said. The officer who was sitting there had just gotten out. The couple then ran back to the building but the man turned around and fire at another officer and struck him in the leg, police said. Police evacuated the building and called in Emergency Services from Jersey City and Port Authority police. When police entered the building, gunfire erupted from inside the apartment, going through the door, police said. A Jersey City ESU officer was hit in the chest and neck outside the door, and he is in critical condition, police said. Another Jersey City officer was shot in the face outside the door, and he is also in critical condition. He had no signs of life when he arrived at the Jersey City Medical Center, where he was resuscitated and is now in surgery, police said. "The fact that we can talk about him being in surgery now is a minor miracle," Dr. Nathaniel Holmes said at a news conference attended by Jersey City Police Director Samuel Jefferson, Police Chief Tom Comey, Mayor Jerramiah Healy, other elected officials and a representative of the Port Authority Police. During the gunfire that erupted, a Jersey City officer wearing a bulletproof vest was shot in the back, and a Port Authority police officer was shot in the arm. The suspects were apparently barricaded in the apartment but were shot and killed, although details are still hazy. The incident began with officers of Jersey City's major case unit watching a parked car that matched the getaway car captured on video after a 43-year-old Sleepy Hollow, N.Y., man was shot at 6:30 a.m. June 18 when he arrived at work at the 30 Minute Oil Change on Broadway. Comey declined to identify the officers saying all of the families had not yet been notified, and he refused to name the dead suspects. Check back with Hudson County Now for more developments.
Surveillance video shows man being shot in Jersey City

Posted on: 2009/7/16 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
This corner has been known for gangs and drugs for a while. It is the headquarters for a local gang known as Darkside and home to some Bloods also. The police have known about Bergen and Reed and the gangs/drug dealers on this corner for a long time.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 15:19

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017