Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

Re: Where are all the BJ shopping carts coming from?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

emileigh23 wrote:
While moving my car this morning for street cleaning, I counted six, SIX! Yes! SIX! BJ's shopping carts within a two block radius. One was along side that empty building on Monmouth and Bright, One was simoultaneously being pushed by someone across the street into the Colony plaza, two were in the back of the Siperstein Paint parking lot, one was across the street from those two and the third was in a caged in garbage like area along side the big apartment building on York between Monmouth and Varick. I didn't have my phone with me to take pics, but I wish I did! Six carts in the span of five minutes!

Call the JCIA Inspectors line to have them pick them up!

Inspectors
(201) 432-4645 ext.671

email Councilman Fulop and tell him something must be done about the BJ's carts! Thanks

Jaah

Posted on: 2008/7/1 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
The life of a shopping mall security man - trying to find all the shopping carts. Here's a little piece of a security guy with friends desperately trying to convert him back to his old ways.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyNwLTJ5HP4

Posted on: 2008/7/1 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
anyone up for collecting all the shopping carts and creating a float out of them for the next parade down Newark? Could be kind of fun to then leave the float of carts at a random intersection blocking everything and causing the police to get involved. I'm sure BJ's would love that publicity.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 16:24
utterly deplorable

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/12 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I would think there must be some value in the metal used on the body of the shopping carts. I'm surprised some industrious folks have started collecting them and selling them to a junk man.

The scrap yard on Cornelison won't take them. I'm not sure about the others.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 16:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/1 15:06
Group:
Registered Users
Newport has the most cart thieves. They steal so many they have a dedicated storage area to the left of the East Hampton tower.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/7/1 15:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/10 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
While moving my car this morning for street cleaning, I counted six, SIX! Yes! SIX! BJ's shopping carts within a two block radius. One was along side that empty building on Monmouth and Bright, One was simoultaneously being pushed by someone across the street into the Colony plaza, two were in the back of the Siperstein Paint parking lot, one was across the street from those two and the third was in a caged in garbage like area along side the big apartment building on York between Monmouth and Varick. I didn't have my phone with me to take pics, but I wish I did! Six carts in the span of five minutes!

Posted on: 2008/7/1 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I would think there must be some value in the metal used on the body of the shopping carts. I'm surprised some industrious folks have started collecting them and selling them to a junk man.

Posted on: 2008/6/30 14:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/29 17:50
Group:
Registered Users
This morning I saw 2 guys walking a BJ's cart to the back of City Hall. I guess they use the carts there too for something.

Posted on: 2008/6/30 12:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/15 14:38
From Grove St, Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
No, the people I whited out were my partner and a guy walking his dog. I didn't think it would be fair to associate them with the carts. There was a couple with full carts - his & hers Shoprite & BJs.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Those people in the above post hardly look "innocent". They seem to have pinched a Shop-Rite cart. Scumbags is more accurate.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 18:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just now, waiting for the elevator at Grove Pointe. There was an empty BJ's cart in the hall, and a full one waiting to get on the elevator. I whited out the faces of the innocents waiting for the elevator. Ridiculous that they allow these things in the building.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/6/29 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Resized Image

Corner of Barrow & Wayne at 11 a.m. this morning. Best of all, a dog has already "marked" it!

Whoa -- they are a-multiplyin' at that intersection!

There are now THREE parked in tandem right at the corner of Wayne and Barrow.

At this rate, soon every block will have its own BJ's cart (or two or three...).

Posted on: 2008/6/29 10:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
I agree UrbanRenewal, those are very good suggestions. How do we get this plan moving forward? Should we contact Councilman Fulop to present these ideas? Remember BJ's doesn't really percieve this as a problem. I have spoke to them on several occasions just to be told all detterents don't work. They were very uncooperative in dicussing and finding a solution. Did you know there is already a ordinance on the books(which they don't enforce) that pertains to stealing shopping carts:

Notes to Chapter 284

[HISTORY: Adopted by the Council of the City of Jersey City 11-20-1990 as Ord. No. McC-233. Amendments noted where applicable.]

? 284-1. Abandonment unlawful.

No person shall leave or abandon any shopping cart upon the sidewalks, streets or roadways of the City of Jersey City.

? 284-2. Identification tags required.

No merchant, corporate or otherwise, shall provide shopping carts for the use of his customers without first affixing thereto a permanent tag of identification setting forth the name and address of the merchant.

? 284-3. Seizure; redemption or sale of abandoned carts; fees. [Amended 6-14-1995 by Ord. No. 95-050; 2-26-1997 by Ord. No. 97-007]

All such carts abandoned or otherwise left on public streets, public property or on private property without the express consent of the owner or tenant thereof or the City of Jersey City shall be seized and impounded by the Police Department or the Department of Public Works, to be sold in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.A. 40A:14-157 at public auction as unclaimed property after a period of six months, unless the owner thereof shall claim them from the Police Department or the Deprtment of Public Works within said period and pay the sums as provided in Chapter 160, Fees and Charges, to cover municipal retrieval and storage costs. Such fees shall be paid to the Treasurer of the City of Jersey City for the purposes of the City of Jersey City.

? 284-4. Violations and penalties.

Any person violating or failing to comply with any of the provisions of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be punishable by a fine of up to fifty dollars ($50.).

I'm glad to hear you like the ideas too, jaah37.

How you proceed is up to you of course, but I suppose you could talk to BJ's regional or corporate offices if local management is unresponsive.

While you're trying your hand at that, approaching Councilman Steven Fulop directly may be a smart idea as you suggest -- and please feel free to present any of the ideas I have suggested.

You may want to consider sending him an e-mail with your concerns along with a link to this JCList thread, the Google cart map, our growing collection of cart photos and anything else you find relevant.

At last check, Mr. Fulop could be e-mailed at work via fulops@jcnj.org or via his website at info@stevenfulop.com. His JCList profile also lists his personal Netscape e-mail address as well if you would like to try that route.

You also made a number of good points about the local ordinances that already exist about shopping carts.

I suppose you could call the police non-emergency line about what's been going on or even the JCPA about the illegal "parking" of carts all around the city.

I am guessing officers on patrol have bigger fish to fry than addressing all of the cart gridlock on our sidewalks (but it couldn't hurt to see what they have to say about it when you give them a ring).

Final thought: Whether you're approaching BJ's management or Mr. Fulop, you could also consider creating a free online petition that members of JCList and those across Jersey City could sign.

I believe free online petitions can be made at such sites as PetitionSpot.com (or PetitionOnline.com or iPetitions.com or wherever's hot for that sort of stuff these days).

But before you go to that much trouble, you may just want to get Mr. Fulop on the horn.

As soon as he realizes this is a pretty rampant problem across his ward and given his personal focus on the beautification efforts of the Newark Avenue corridor and beyond, I am quite sure he'll be interested in zeroing in on a smart solution with you and the JCList posse.

Good luck!

P.S.: According to the city's website, Steven Fulop's phone number is (201) 547-5315 and the phone number of his council aide, Althea Burnheim, is (201) 547-5283. Hope that helps!

Posted on: 2008/6/29 10:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

2DogDoll wrote:
UrbanRenewal, your suggestions are brilliant ? just brilliant.

Now to present them to BJ?s management, either through the neighborhood associations or through a group of determined citizens.

This is an offer BJ?s can?t refuse without justifiably incurring the wrath of the whole community.

Awww shucks, thank you for the compliment.

I figured it couldn't hurt to throw some constructive ideas out there into the mix.

Definitely feel free to make them your own and run with them.

Between the efforts of you, elvis, jaah37 and the other concerned JCListers, I am hoping that everyone's neighborhood cart concerns will be eradicated sometime soon.

Best of luck in your mission!

Posted on: 2008/6/29 9:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Breeding in captivity in front of the Exchange Place Path.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/6/28 8:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

astra wrote:
There is one waiting for the elevator on the 21st floor at Grove Pointe. This isn't the first time we've seen one here.

Resized Image

The joys of living in a multi-dwelling building. That moment when you realize you live with lazy scumbags.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Here are mine so far. Click on the pin to see the cart.
View Larger Map as07302's
View Larger Map

Posted on: 2008/6/28 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Corner of Barrow & Wayne at 11 a.m. this morning. Best of all, a dog has already "marked" it!

Posted on: 2008/6/27 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
I agree UrbanRenewal, those are very good suggestions. How do we get this plan moving forward? Should we contact Councilman Fulop to present these ideas? Remember BJ's doesn't really percieve this as a problem. I have spoke to them on several occasions just to be told all detterents don't work. They were very uncooperative in dicussing and finding a solution. Did you know there is already a ordinance on the books(which they don't enforce) that pertains to stealing shopping carts:

Notes to Chapter 284

[HISTORY: Adopted by the Council of the City of Jersey City 11-20-1990 as Ord. No. McC-233. Amendments noted where applicable.]

? 284-1. Abandonment unlawful.

No person shall leave or abandon any shopping cart upon the sidewalks, streets or roadways of the City of Jersey City.

? 284-2. Identification tags required.

No merchant, corporate or otherwise, shall provide shopping carts for the use of his customers without first affixing thereto a permanent tag of identification setting forth the name and address of the merchant.

? 284-3. Seizure; redemption or sale of abandoned carts; fees. [Amended 6-14-1995 by Ord. No. 95-050; 2-26-1997 by Ord. No. 97-007]

All such carts abandoned or otherwise left on public streets, public property or on private property without the express consent of the owner or tenant thereof or the City of Jersey City shall be seized and impounded by the Police Department or the Department of Public Works, to be sold in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.A. 40A:14-157 at public auction as unclaimed property after a period of six months, unless the owner thereof shall claim them from the Police Department or the Deprtment of Public Works within said period and pay the sums as provided in Chapter 160, Fees and Charges, to cover municipal retrieval and storage costs. Such fees shall be paid to the Treasurer of the City of Jersey City for the purposes of the City of Jersey City.

? 284-4. Violations and penalties.

Any person violating or failing to comply with any of the provisions of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be punishable by a fine of up to fifty dollars ($50.).

Posted on: 2008/6/27 18:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 16:15
Group:
Banned
UrbanRenewal, your suggestions are brilliant ? just brilliant.

Now to present them to BJ?s management, either through the neighborhood associations or through a group of determined citizens.

This is an offer BJ?s can?t refuse without justifiably incurring the wrath of the whole community.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:

The Jersey City Parking Authority also rakes in a lot of cash with its boots, parking tickets, etc.

This is, unfortunately, incorrect.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:

4. Removing shopping carts from the premises could be treated simply as SHOPLIFTING (or if that's too harsh a penalty for first-time offenders, then they could be issued a written warning with the understanding that if they are caught again taking a cart they will be arrested for shoplifting).

I did some Googling about idea #4 as a deterrent and found this:

"A minor shoplifting charge can leave you with a permanent criminal record.

MAXIMUM PENALTIES FOR SHOPLIFITING (THEFT) IN NJ

Under $200 - Disorderly Persons Charge - Up to 6 Months in Jail

$200 to $500 - 4th Degree Felony Crime - Up to 18 Months in Jail

In addition to the theft penalty, the penalties for New Jersey shoplifting include:

1st Offense: At least 10 days of community service

2nd Offense: At least 15 days of community service

3rd or Subsequent Offense: A maximum of 25 days of community service. Any person convicted of a 3rd or subsequent shoplifting offense shall serve a minimum term of imprisonment of not less than 90 days.

There is no criminal or civil liability for merchant who causes the arrest of a person for shoplifting, where the merchant has probable cause for believing that the person arrested committed the offense of shoplifting."

Yikes!

Posted on: 2008/6/27 16:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/31 19:15
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Can we please have a Google Map with all the carts on it? I wish I knew how to make that and I would do it myself, but I am inept in such matters.

BJ's Shopping Carts - Downtown Jersey City, NJ

Anyone w/ a gmail account can modify it. Please add any cart sightings you see. I went through the thread and added the ones listed.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
Fines should be issued to people caught with a cart off BJ's property,and if necessary, arrests for repeat hardheaded offenders.

Here's an idea:

The car-towing companies that patrol the BJ's and Shoprite area have made a mint by towing the cars of people who leave that parking lot to shop elsewhere.

The Jersey City Parking Authority also rakes in a lot of cash with its boots, parking tickets, etc.

Why not consider turning this neighborhood problem into a money maker for the city, BJ's and/or the lot's towing companies?

BJ's could post signs that state: "If you are caught leaving the property with a BJ's shopping cart, you will be fined $200."

If a person is spotted flagrantly leaving the general area around BJ's with one (like attempting to cross Marin Blvd., for example), a plainclothes JCPA enforcement officer or uniformed parking guard could snap a cell phone photo of the crime and issue a ticket to the offender right there on the spot.

Who would actually do the enforcing?

I don't know the intricacies of the city or state laws (or how often these carts are being stolen for that matter), but I am guessing at least one of the following four ticketing solutions would be worth exploring:

1. A Jersey City Parking Authority officer could be stationed near the lot area during peak shopping times (or peak cart theft times) on foot or in one of their little JCPA buggies.

2. BJ's could hire a private security officer to enforce the cart theft rules. When BJ's realizes that they could save the $200 to $400 they're losing each time a cart is stolen AND make a mighty profit from the fines, maybe they would be interested. (And if their local management is unresponsive, JCListers could contact BJ's corporate offices with this idea.).

3. Someone could approach Danny's Towing or E-Z Towing about doing double duty for the kidnapped BJ's shopping carts. Since they seem to have already perfected the art of towing autos in that area, maybe they would be interested in starting another business on the side with BJ's permission? Cart enforcement could be easy money since they already have folks planted in that vicinity watching customers as they come and go.

4. Removing shopping carts from the premises could be treated simply as SHOPLIFTING (or if that's too harsh a penalty for first-time offenders, then they could be issued a written warning with the understanding that if they are caught again taking a cart they will be arrested for shoplifting).

As soon as BJ's, Jersey City and/or the towing companies realize there's money to made (and money to be saved) with shopping cart enforcement, I can't imagine it would be hard to get at least one of them on board.

And heck, if BJ's staunchly refuses to take any sort of productive action, maybe the city could look into fining the store itself!

The added bonus of all this, of course, would be the neighborhood beautification benefits for all of us.

While I like having fun with this topic just as much as anyone, I do recognize it is quite a problem as well.

Hopefully the issue gets resolved before the shopping carts rise up and take over the entire city!

Posted on: 2008/6/27 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
saw a 50 Columbus doorman last week, trying to look as cool as possible, strolling down Warren St. pushing a cart back to the BJs lot. I'm sure that was never in his job description!

And for all that hassle, how much d'you wanna bet the residents there are probably lousy tippers come Christmas!

Posted on: 2008/6/27 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Seriously, though, if I lived there or at 50 Columbus, I'd be raising a big stink with building management. For the rents they're charging, they should be busting residents for wheeling and abadoning shopping carts there. Aren't these doorman/concierge buildings? You'd think they would've stopped people from wheeling the cart in. Also, if the building has security cameras, they ought to be able to track down the guilty party, warn them, fine them, whatever.

I saw a 50 Columbus doorman last week, trying to look as cool as possible, strolling down Warren St. pushing a cart back to the BJs lot. I'm sure that was never in his job description!

Posted on: 2008/6/27 14:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/7 2:57
From Pavonia Newport or Newport Pavonia
Group:
Registered Users
Excellent idea jennymayla! I like this!

*smiles* This cart sighting map could quite possibly become the Jersey City equivalent of 'Big Foot' sightings!

Posted on: 2008/6/27 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Can we please have a Google Map with all the carts on it? I wish I knew how to make that and I would do it myself, but I am inept in such matters.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

astra wrote:
There is one waiting for the elevator on the 21st floor at Grove Pointe. This isn't the first time we've seen one here.

Resized Image

WOW -- this truly is the best photo so far!

Who knew that they would start migrating indoors?

Guess it was just a matter of time (given the heat and humidity of summer, of course).

Now I am curious to know if the carts have made their way to other areas besides Downtown Jersey City and Newport.

Have any been spotted in the Heights or Journal Square?

Or wilder yet, have they crossed into Hoboken or other border cities and towns?

It's just a matter of time before we see them sailing down the Hudson River!

Posted on: 2008/6/27 13:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/29 17:50
Group:
Registered Users
I am just waiting for the day when I see a BJ's cart at Liberty National Golf Course. Now that would be priceless!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2008/6/27 13:06

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017