Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
39 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 38

caj11, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 14 »

Re: 2017 Reval ~ Property Inspections
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
What is the source of that rate?

*Sigh* Yvonne relaying words from Councilman Yun. But I oddly enough believe her this time. The 1.62% number was preliminary and did not factor in commercial properties at that time. It seemed way to high since most properties would be paying more while few would be paying less. The 1.42% is more in line of a zero sum. Some will pay more, some will pay less, some will stay the same.

Posted on: 7/11 12:06
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
What is the source of that rate?

Posted on: 7/11 11:42
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
1.42% will be red meat for education fairness advocates.

Posted on: 7/11 11:30
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Is that number official?

Posted on: 7/11 8:19
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
So we are getting are new tax bills this month, due August 10th?

Posted on: 7/11 8:18
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
At 1.62% I am looking at a significant cut in my taxes, even after adjusting my appraised value up significantly. For me this will be a savings of $10k to $15k a year (multiple properties).

That will cover most of my son's tuition, once he is old enough to attend school.

How about at 1.42%?

Posted on: 7/10 22:20
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
I'd say the odds of Trump's tax plan going thru are about as good as the odds of DTJC property taxes staying at 1% of FMV...

1.42% and the plan went through. Good thing you're not a bookie.

Posted on: 7/10 22:19
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
who is bemoaning tax breaks and loopholes? i don't have a problem with tax breaks and loopholes. i said that if congress does not want people to benefit from tax breaks and loopholes that it should eliminate them. a

and, honestly, i don't need you to tell me whether or not i should or should not be distraught over amt. thx

Posted on: 12/20 9:10
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
then congress should get rid of the tax breaks and loopholes if it doesn't want people to take advantage of them. tax breaks and loopholes are supposed to be an incentive to do "good" so why are some people penalized for doing "good"

First you were "distraught" because the AMT was kept in place, (even though it was raised to 500K / 1MM...) and now you are bemoaning tax breaks and loopholes, which is precisely what the AMT is supposed to address (by preventing their abuse to skip out on paying a fair share of taxes.)

Here is what I think: I don't think you have a clue what the AMT is, or what it was originally intended to do. You heard something, somewhere about the evil of AMT and ran with it not understanding what it is you are trying to feel distraught about before writing your post.

Tax breaks and loopholes are NOT "supposed to be an incentive to do "good"" as you claim in your post. They are, in essence, a form of social engineering disguised as federal policy. Did you know that back in the 80s, you could deduct credit card interest? You think that's because encouraging people to rack up debt was a net good for them? Today's mortgage interest deduction is there to encourage home ownership, mostly because there is a widely held belief that homeownership is the path to achieve middle class status. That may have been a solid truth in the past, but nowadays you have lots of upper middle class, and even rich people, who do not actually own a home, and instead choose to rent, for a variety of reasons. Of course, homeownership still remains a reliable path to achieve and maintain middle class status, but it is neither foolproof (remember 2007?) nor the only one.

As Dolomiti points out, the point to this latest tax reform was to streamline and reduce the complexity of the current tax system by eliminating many of the existing provisions and quirks. But, of course, it is impossible to please everyone.

Posted on: 12/19 23:28
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
then congress should get rid of the tax breaks and loopholes if it doesn't want people to take advantage of them. tax breaks and loopholes are supposed to be an incentive to do "good" so why are some people penalized for doing "good"

Erm... Yes, part of the original plan of this tax reform was to get rid of a bunch of custom tax breaks.

The problem is that every single permutation of the tax code has its own constituency, which rabidly defends its perqs.

Posted on: 12/19 21:58
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
tax breaks and loopholes are supposed to be an incentive to do "good"

I think we've identified the source of your problem! Tax breaks and loopholes are mostly pork for contributors. There's a portion that are supposed to create fairness, like SALT, but that has gone down in the partisan bloodbath.

Posted on: 12/19 18:49
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 12/19 18:08
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
whether this affects me or not is irrelevant, why should people be penalized for being successful?

Welcome to the Republican Party.

Seriously, though... you are making the opposite argument of most liberals who advocate for a progressive tax system. That is, incrementally higher taxes for those making more. The more you make, the more you pay, not just in actual dollars, but actual percentages. The AMT was instituted to ensure that very well to do people would not be able to take advantage of tax breaks and loopholes to avoid paying defined minimums. Over time, as salaries have soared for many segments of the population, more and more of us are stuck paying the AMT. And, trust me, it sucks to pay it every year. But, now you are saying you are OK with people not having to pay a minimum amount of tax by taking/exploiting all kinds of loopholes and breaks? I think you got your talking points mixed up.

Posted on: 12/19 17:17
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
whether this affects me or not is irrelevant, why should people be penalized for being successful?

Posted on: 12/19 16:07
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
of course, the tax benefits were gonna go to the 0.1%. get real. trump is no robinhood. lol.

i.m distraught that the senate didn't do away with the amt for individuals.

Distraught over what?! In the final draft, the AMT threshold was raised to 500K for individuals, and 1MM for couples. Unless you are making 500+ K, you need not worry.

Posted on: 12/19 15:02
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
of course, the tax benefits were gonna go to the 0.1%. get real. trump is no robinhood. lol.

i.m distraught that the senate didn't do away with the amt for individuals.

Posted on: 12/19 14:41
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
almost universally, everybody is in favor of more services, more handouts, and more assistance, until it is their turn to pony up money to cover those costs.

Yes, but we didn't get any of those, our tax increase will go to comforting the most comfortable.

Posted on: 12/19 11:32
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Geez, weren't affluent liberals telling us how much they want to pay higher taxes, and now when they have an opportunity to do so, they're whining...

We didn't want to pay those taxes to the 0.1%!!!

The truth is that most Americans are in favor not of taxing the rich, but rather the richer. Even decidedly upper middle class folks (say, couples with a combined income of 400+ K) want to believe they are not rich and therefore should not be subject to a tax increase. Funny how that works... almost universally, everybody is in favor of more services, more handouts, and more assistance, until it is their turn to pony up money to cover those costs.

Posted on: 12/18 23:42
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Geez, weren't affluent liberals telling us how much they want to pay higher taxes, and now when they have an opportunity to do so, they're whining...

We didn't want to pay those taxes to the 0.1%!!!

Posted on: 12/18 22:04
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 12/18 21:52
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Regarding consolidation of services among towns and cities, this happened in our neck of the woods, sort of -

http://www.nhfirefighters.org/

"In 1999 when the five municipalities consisting of Guttenberg, North Bergen, Weehawken, West New York and Union City unilaterally decided to merge their individual fire departments into a single department under the newly created North Hudson Regional Fire & Rescue, they disrupted long term collective bargaining groups and firefighter international and fraternal organizations."

Also, I predict that in 2018 there will be a call for drastic legislation similar to California's Proposition 13. Of course it was a mess in CA when implemented, but people can only take so much.

Posted on: 12/18 21:33
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
maybe more and more jersey cities will consider consolidation in order to be run more efficiently. honestly, i don't understand why hudson and bergen counties don't consolidate into one hudson city which would still be smaller than manhattan.

maybe governor-elect murphy should establish a commission to force municipal consolidation.

That is a ridiculous plan, it's not as if we are The South where all the towns are small and they just go by counties. Plus J.C. cannot keep up with their services and police matters as it is. We have equipment suitable for the size of Bayonne, Hoboken, or Secaucus. Our roads are atrocious and the repairs are a joke. Traffic patterns and parking have become a daily battle of wits and aside from bicycle use transportation options are minimal. North Hudson county has consolidated their fire department and that has worked well only because it has to follow strict guidelines with the state and their job is not taxing till it come time to deal with a fire which is a job in itself.

There was not a single valid argument there. Of course we should be one city, with FAR less highly paid chiefs to indians, but the towns run on patronage, these jobs are currency. Not one town in NJ would vote to give it up.

STATS: if Hudson cty were one city we would be both larger in population and denser than Boston, Denver, Portland, Seattle, Baltimore, and Vegas.

Posted on: 12/18 21:14
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
ok then, maybe more work should be handled by the county. i don't see why every single city needs to have its own board of education, sanitation department, police department...there is room for efficiency gains

Posted on: 12/18 20:00
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
maybe more and more jersey cities will consider consolidation in order to be run more efficiently. honestly, i don't understand why hudson and bergen counties don't consolidate into one hudson city which would still be smaller than manhattan.

maybe governor-elect murphy should establish a commission to force municipal consolidation.

That is a ridiculous plan, it's not as if we are The South where all the towns are small and they just go by counties. Plus J.C. cannot keep up with their services and police matters as it is. We have equipment suitable for the size of Bayonne, Hoboken, or Secaucus. Our roads are atrocious and the repairs are a joke. Traffic patterns and parking have become a daily battle of wits and aside from bicycle use transportation options are minimal. North Hudson county has consolidated their fire department and that has worked well only because it has to follow strict guidelines with the state and their job is not taxing till it come time to deal with a fire which is a job in itself.

Posted on: 12/18 19:48
Get on your bikes and ride !
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 12/18 19:24
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Things looking grim in wealthier NJ suburbs, anticipating no SALT deduction -

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/17/nyr ... -new-jersey-tax-bill.html

While I'm opposed to this tax bill on many grounds, including the removal of the SALT deduction, we won't really know how this affects NJ for some time.

For example: Livingston is an affluent suburb. While there are many middle class and fixed-income residents, the median income is $120,000 per household. That's double the national average, and nearly 50% higher than the NJ average.

It is entirely plausible middle-class residents will benefit from the increased standard deductible, while the wealthier residents will benefit from a variety of other tax breaks in the bill. We just don't know yet.

I.e. A report that "affluent suburbanites are terrorized!" doesn't tell us how their taxes will actually change.

Posted on: 12/18 15:28
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:

Of course, you should feel free to put your money where your mouth is, and if you personally own in DTJC you should sell now. Right?

I live in DTJC as a renter... I have chosen to to sit out the market until things are clearer. Or, if things go sideways, until the dust settles somewhat.

We should know more by mid to late 2019, after the impact of the upcoming tax changes have been fully experienced.

Good luck trying to time the market. From Aesop, The Fox and the Grapes.

Meh. One thing is to try to time a market (local real estate, or the financial ones) and another is to simply choose to stay out of a situation that is clearly not quite stable with many moving parts and uncertain outcomes. But, sure.... sour grapes.

Posted on: 12/18 15:18
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Things looking grim in wealthier NJ suburbs, anticipating no SALT deduction -

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/17/nyr ... -new-jersey-tax-bill.html

Posted on: 12/18 14:42
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
i predict that dtjc will be just fine...while some might sell, i belioeve that the nyc housing market will remain bouyant, sending plenty of "bargain" hunters over to jersey city. while taxes might be going up in dtjc, jc is still a bargain when all in costs of ownership are factored in. time will tell.

Posted on: 12/18 13:29
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:

Of course, you should feel free to put your money where your mouth is, and if you personally own in DTJC you should sell now. Right?

I live in DTJC as a renter... I have chosen to to sit out the market until things are clearer. Or, if things go sideways, until the dust settles somewhat.

We should know more by mid to late 2019, after the impact of the upcoming tax changes have been fully experienced.

There are lot of moving parts to the Federal tax changes. Seems clear that for owner-occupiers in high tax locations the net effect of the changes – limit of 10k for the combination of state, local, income/sales and property tax is negative, making the reval’s impact more severe by increasing overall cost of ownership. However, deductions for property taxes on rental properties might remain deductible (fully or partly) to landlords’ businesses, as could the mortgage interest deduction – being a business expense. Then there’s the matter of how pass-through income for Type S corporations (LLC’s) will be treated.

At this point I’m not certain what made it into the final bill regarding investment real estate– something did as there was some commentary about how it appears very favorable to the president. In any event, it appears now that the tax changes for property tax deductions will be much less significant for landlords. Consequently, the impact of the reval increase looks to be a good deal LESS for landlords than owner-occupiers.

Owner occupiers in high tax areas might respond by renting their houses, and living in a rental themselves. You and your neighbor could “swap” houses, renting to each other, to obtain the favorable tax treatment accorded to landlords. Transfer ownership of your place to the “My place is for rent, LLC.” That would free up the entire 10k to use for state and local income taxes, make the property taxes deductible and as a bonus make the mortgage interest deductible. Obviously, all depends on the actual numbers.

Now that would be some unintended consequence – making the economics of changes for property tax deduction overall more favorable to “high” cost states…. There would be no point in a low tax state to try and turn your owner-occupied property into a rental - it wouldn’t increase your deductions. Of course it all depends on the specifics of the final bill. The devil is in the details, as they say….

Seems very tough to predict what the net, final impact will be on the JC housing market.

Posted on: 12/18 1:00
Print Top

(1) 2 3 4 ... 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017