Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
48 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 48

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Re: Torico's Ice Cream
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cuse04 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

cuse04 wrote:
Anyone else noticing that Torico have gotten really stingy with their cones in the past year or so? I don't mind paying $4 a cone if it's huge like they use to be, but now it's getting a little ridiculous. I still love the place, but it's getting hard to rationalize spending $8 on two cones for me and my girlfriend every time we go.

I have to admit, I still think their cones are pretty big. Just last weekend I was thinking to myself that they are awfully generous. Maybe you got an unlucky scoop?

Definitely a luck of the draw thing. Two visits ago, my daughter was served a ridiculously small scoop, and I am pretty sure we were also charged wrong. Next two visits: good sized cones and slightly lower total price. Our last visit, two weekends ago, we got two cones with plenty of ice cream in each.

yeah, i think part of it is that we typically go on sunday nights -- which have always been busy, but are now insane.

You are quite possibly correct! We normally visit in the early afternoon. Every time I have driven past that corner in a weekend evening, it is a madhouse of people queueing up in lines, cars double parked (undoubtedly the drivers are just "running in to grab some ice cream") and people milling outside. It's always nice to see a local shop being supported and patronized by the neighborhood at large, but it really gets very crowded in there.

Posted on: 2015/8/6 15:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 13:37
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

cuse04 wrote:
Anyone else noticing that Torico have gotten really stingy with their cones in the past year or so? I don't mind paying $4 a cone if it's huge like they use to be, but now it's getting a little ridiculous. I still love the place, but it's getting hard to rationalize spending $8 on two cones for me and my girlfriend every time we go.

I have to admit, I still think their cones are pretty big. Just last weekend I was thinking to myself that they are awfully generous. Maybe you got an unlucky scoop?

Definitely a luck of the draw thing. Two visits ago, my daughter was served a ridiculously small scoop, and I am pretty sure we were also charged wrong. Next two visits: good sized cones and slightly lower total price. Our last visit, two weekends ago, we got two cones with plenty of ice cream in each.

yeah, i think part of it is that we typically go on sunday nights -- which have always been busy, but are now insane.

Posted on: 2015/8/6 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cuse04 wrote:

I imagine that you or your friend get a raise every year for the same work. Everything costs more, everything goes up every year.
Electric, Heat, Taxes, Maintaining the store, supplies, product.
employees pay.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's a function of 3 factors: how hard the ice cream you want is, whether the server uses the small scoop or the big paddle and how tired her/his arm is at the time you order.

Go early, order from the softer gelato case and insist on the paddle. You'll get a huge cone for sure!

Posted on: 2015/8/5 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

cuse04 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/8/5 9:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
I have not noticed that. Then again, we took a break from Torico to go to Milk Sugar Love, and after having a few of their toothfairy-size scoops, Torico seems more than generous!

This. As much as I love MSL's ice cream....the size of the scoop is a little ridiculous. For almost $4.00 I expect a bit more....

Posted on: 2015/8/4 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cuse04 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/8/4 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
I have not noticed that. Then again, we took a break from Torico to go to Milk Sugar Love, and after having a few of their toothfairy-size scoops, Torico seems more than generous!

Posted on: 2015/8/4 17:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 13:37
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/4 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Torico's was on Food Network earlier.

Tue 8/4 12:30AM
Sat 8/8 3:30PM

Great American Food Finds

Mac and Cheese in a Pie, Please!

Join brothers Adam and Andrew Erace as they seek out hidden, amazing food treasures. First, a purveyor in Delaware Water Gap, Pa., makes mac and cheese just like your grandmother, but puts it in a pie crust. Then, they're off to try uniquely flavored pierogi in a Wolcott, Conn., garage, before landing in Jersey City, N.J., where they meet a family who creates an unforgettable vegetable ice cream made from purple yams. Finally, when the brothers spot a Belgian waffle van on the street, they can't help but follow that truck back to company headquarters! (Episode: GM0101H)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/grea ... eese-in-a-pie-please.html

Posted on: 2015/8/4 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

croft wrote:
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
I wish there was an alternative option to Torico's in town. They are way overpriced and super stingy on their cones. Ever have one of their milkshakes? Its pretty much 90% milk and 10% ice cream. Runniest shake I've ever had.

for many years i scooped ice cream and made cakes at magic fountain on the boulevard (which originally was a carvel.) an ice cream shop opened on india square (kwality ice cream i believe) and knocked us right out of business. everything we did was homemade so going to torico's reminds me of those days, just a bit pricier.

there's still amourville on central ave in the heights, but they seem to be more cake oriented than cones/shakes.

From today's NYTimes:

10. Kwality Ice Cream

No food made me quite so giddy this year as kulfi from Kwality Ice Cream in Jersey City, a minuscule shop among Newark Avenue?s henna parlors, half-camouflaged temples and cash-and-carries dealing in ghee and Ayurvedic toothpaste. Kulfi is a Mughal-era Indian dessert akin to ice cream, made with milk cooked down until caramelized and verging on chewy; here it comes sliced in nearly inch-thick cakes that I ate out of a foam box outside the PATH station at Journal Square, beside myself at my good fortune. Kwality also offers American-style ice cream in distinctly Indian flavors like faloodeh, rosewater crunchy with basil seeds, and pan masala, which stings with menthol, cloves and lime, until they are the only flavors you remember. 787 Newark Avenue (J.F.K. Boulevard West), Jersey City; 201-377-1862.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

croft wrote:
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
I wish there was an alternative option to Torico's in town. They are way overpriced and super stingy on their cones. Ever have one of their milkshakes? Its pretty much 90% milk and 10% ice cream. Runniest shake I've ever had.

for many years i scooped ice cream and made cakes at magic fountain on the boulevard (which originally was a carvel.) an ice cream shop opened on india square (kwality ice cream i believe) and knocked us right out of business. everything we did was homemade so going to torico's reminds me of those days, just a bit pricier.

there's still amourville on central ave in the heights, but they seem to be more cake oriented than cones/shakes.

From today's NYTimes:

10. Kwality Ice Cream

No food made me quite so giddy this year as kulfi from Kwality Ice Cream in Jersey City, a minuscule shop among Newark Avenue?s henna parlors, half-camouflaged temples and cash-and-carries dealing in ghee and Ayurvedic toothpaste. Kulfi is a Mughal-era Indian dessert akin to ice cream, made with milk cooked down until caramelized and verging on chewy; here it comes sliced in nearly inch-thick cakes that I ate out of a foam box outside the PATH station at Journal Square, beside myself at my good fortune. Kwality also offers American-style ice cream in distinctly Indian flavors like faloodeh, rosewater crunchy with basil seeds, and pan masala, which stings with menthol, cloves and lime, until they are the only flavors you remember. 787 Newark Avenue (J.F.K. Boulevard West), Jersey City; 201-377-1862.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
per a sign out front, Torico's is donating all proceeds of tomorrow's 1-scoop cone sales to Philippine Typhoon relief.

Posted on: 2013/11/15 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Toricos fans who cruise up, park illegally, leave their car running, windows down, with bass-thumping music blaring at 10:55pm on a weeknight while they saunter inside for a (badass, yo) ice cream cone, should not be surprised to find something special waiting for them in the driver's seat.

this has been a Public Service Announcement from the Neighbors of Toricos.

enjoy your cone.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
went to Torico's last night, no line

Posted on: 2012/6/19 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/15 0:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Hey ice cream lovers I know a place that would love the overflow traffic. Why wait in line behind a ?yuppie??

Have you DQ?d today? You must have DQ?d at least once in your life. Why not again?

Take a trip over to the wild side of JC for a refreshing treat. Plenty of parking in their big lot. The lot that sales Xmas trees in the winter

Dairy Queen
513 Westside Ave

http://www.dairyqueen.com/us-en/store-details/5043/

While strolling down Westside with your cone check out these places of business.

For the latest sneaks and North Face gear?

HEIRS MENS SHOP
525 WESTSIDE AVE

http://heirsmensshop.com

For some hip sh*t ?.

SUVAS (store should be in DTJC?word!)
510 WESTSIDE AVE

http://teamsuvas.com

Hungry after the cone?

Step on over to this 440 original ?

KELLOGG GARDEN
520 WESTSIDE AVE

(NOT to be confused with the ?new? KELLOGG GARDEN that stole the ?old? KELLOGG GARDEN name and just opened up in one of the store fronts next to K-Mart.) (tip: don?t ask the ?old? KELLOGG GARDEN people if they have anything to do with the ?new? KELLOGG GARDEN. You will get yelled at in a foreign tongue or worse yet? whipped with a wet noodle.)

To wash things down hit the Dunkin Donuts on the corner of Union and Westside. (you may need that extra jolt of java in case you have to run after the dudes who just ripped off your GPS, tires, rims, etc) (just kidding)

Enjoy JC! We don?t bite!

Posted on: 2012/6/19 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I visited Sunday also. Line was fairly short and we didn't have to wait too long. Was worth it - Glad they're open again.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 16:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/1 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
We went yesterday (sunday) around 6pm and the line was just outside the door, but moved very quickly (maybe 5 mins?)

It was our first time, and found it to be quite enjoyable. What I don't understand, however, is what the hell took so long for them to reopen? It was a pretty basic brick box with freezers, not a whole lot in terms of interior design.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Is it just me??? I don't recall the line being out the door in the past. Have that many more yuppies $4.00 ice cream cone lovers moved in during the two (?) years they were closed? Or have we just been that deprived of their delicious ice cream and everyone's simply freaking out cause they're open again? Reminds me of tourists in line at Cake Boss in Hoboken or Magnolia in the city.

Either way, 20 mins in line for ice cream seems a little crazy. I don't think I'd wait in line that long for a free cone and $5 cash back.
Tommy Two Scoops just got another customer or maybe I'll visit Torico's on a rainy day.
I didn't see lines yesterday. It's just the opening rush, the place has been closed for 18 months, Tasti De-Lite disappeared, people were eager for ice cream and to see the new space. Don't understand why people like you think everything has to do with damn yuppie scum.

I wouldn't wait behind welfare recipients for 20 minutes for ice cream either.
I have no problem with "yuppie scum" per se (at least in this instance) it just so happens that is who/what was in line. Same reason why I seldom go to wonder bagles anymore.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 18:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/11 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Went last night - Waited at least 30 minutes - both lines were very long. Didn't mind the wait since it was a nice night and a Sunday but probably wouldn't wait like that again.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
I am sure it is people who have been waiting for Toricos to re-open after all of this time.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Is it just me??? I don't recall the line being out the door in the past. Have that many more yuppies $4.00 ice cream cone lovers moved in during the two (?) years they were closed? Or have we just been that deprived of their delicious ice cream and everyone's simply freaking out cause they're open again? Reminds me of tourists in line at Cake Boss in Hoboken or Magnolia in the city.

Either way, 20 mins in line for ice cream seems a little crazy. I don't think I'd wait in line that long for a free cone and $5 cash back.
Tommy Two Scoops just got another customer or maybe I'll visit Torico's on a rainy day.
I didn't see lines yesterday. It's just the opening rush, the place has been closed for 18 months, Tasti De-Lite disappeared, people were eager for ice cream and to see the new space. Don't understand why people like you think everything has to do with damn yuppie scum.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:

it's been mentioned upthread, but bears repeating: Two Scoops's Tommy has a close relative in the JC buildings dept. Toricos's opening was delayed for months by the JC buildings dept. But I'm sure there's no connection. Carry on.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/6/18 16:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
Went by last night at around 9. Line out the door.

These guys can earn a living being open 3 months out of the year.

The place is packed every time I walk by. There selection of flavors looks great. Have to stop by with my gf one night.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 16:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/2 10:31
Group:
Registered Users
So excited!!! Went last night! They were pretty much sold out of most things, but I took what I could get!

Posted on: 2012/6/6 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Went in on Sunday about 11:30 am. No line whatsoever and the Coffe & Cookies ice cream was as good as ever. I like the old hand-crank machine on display but I have to say it looks like it's from the 1860's not the 1960's. Can that really be what they used when they first started or is it just for show?

Posted on: 2012/6/5 18:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
Not bad.

stood in line friday evening for about 20 minutes. I enjoyed what I had from Cool Haus more, but torico's was a pleasant treat.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
So psyched to have them back. But, as their close neighbor, I must ask a favor of my fellow JClisters:

When you sit on one of the nearby stoops to enjoy your ice cream, please take your trash with you when you leave.

Torico's return means another summer of digging cups/spoons/napkins out of my plants, and that somewhat dampens the joy.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2012/6/2 21:42

Re: Torico's Ice Cream - Free Ice cream today
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Ummmmm, it was soooooo good!!!

Yeah, line was long, but it was moving fairly fast...

Posted on: 2012/6/1 23:07

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017