Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Man crossing Jersey City street struck and killed by off-duty Jersey City cop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Please help with a YES vote. This lack of traffic safety enforcement city-wide is a huge public safety problem.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... e.html#incart_river_index

Posted on: 2016/6/27 17:10

Re: Man crossing Jersey City street struck and killed by off-duty Jersey City cop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City cop acquitted in fatal crash to stay on modified duty

"The police department will now conduct its own internal investigation into the crash and Police Officer Michael Spolizino will remain on modified duty until that is concluded, city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said today. Spolizino could face departmental charges, Morrill said."

Maybe some remnant of justice will happen here, but my hopes are not high. This whole thing just makes me sick. The victim lived in my building, truly awful.

Posted on: 2015/10/31 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Chico should hire this lawyer.

Posted on: 2015/10/30 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
You forgot to add..

"if I was a cop."

Posted on: 2015/10/30 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
So what I have learned here is that here in Jersey City I can drive up to 35 MPH over the speed limit and I can hit and kill a person and then I can drive off, I won't be obliged to remain at the scene of the fatality I caused. If there were witnesses I may have to suffer the annoyance of hiring a lawyer and fighting it in court, but I should be OK.

Posted on: 2015/10/30 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Gotta say, the fact that the JCPD didn't give him a breathalyzer, nor tickets for leaving the scene of an accident - despite several 911 callers explicitly calling it a "hit and run" - seems mighty suspicious to me.

Posted on: 2015/10/30 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City police officer acquitted of all counts in 2013 fatal crash

By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal
 October 29, 2015 at 7:33 PM

JERSEY CITY -- There were only tears in the packed courtroom today when a jury found Jersey City Police Officer Michael Spolizino not guilty of death by auto and leaving the scene of a fatal accident in the death of a 24-year-old man in 2013.

"I still have to live with it," Spolizino, 37, told defense attorney Jeffrey Garrigan as he got onto an elevator to leave the courthouse after he was found not guilty on all counts in the April 19, 2013 death of Stephen Clifford of Jersey City.

Clifford was struck by Spolizino's pickup truck on Kennedy Boulevard at Fairmount Avenue.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... hael_spolizino_not_g.html

Posted on: 2015/10/30 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
This just makes me sick. Its an indication of how rampant and uncontrolled speeding is in our city and how the authorities look the other way to it and how attorneys act like its ok to say "everyone does it" as a defense."

Guess the attorneys were right. At the end of the day, a big case like this is decided by a jury of your peers. The jury obviously thinks this was a good defense.

Posted on: 2015/10/29 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

Stunning... not a lawyer, but I assume this verdict would hurt civil litigation. Now he get reinstated with back pay?

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
He was acquitted on all counts... smdh

Posted on: 2015/10/29 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
He was acquitted on all counts... smdh

Posted on: 2015/10/29 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
And the law labels some degrees of speeding as reckless. He is not going to get far with that argument. Driving at Interstate speeds on an in town, winding street, with pedestrian crossings is pretty much the definition to reckless indifference.

Posted on: 2015/10/23 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This just makes me sick. Its an indication of how rampant and uncontrolled speeding is in our city and how the authorities look the other way to it and how attorneys act like its ok to say "everyone does it" as a defense.

"Opening statements began today in the trial of a Jersey City cops charged with a fatal hit-and-run in 2013, with the prosecution stating that Officer Michael Spolizino was driving 35 mph over the speed limit before fleeing the scene of the accident....

He noted that while the speed limit on Kennedy Boulevard is 25 mph, the average speed of vehicles on that roadway is higher than that. He said Spolizino was driving faster than the average but his driving did not represent the kind of recklessness required to convict him of death by auto. Garrigan also said the defendant was not manifesting an extreme indifference to the value of human life, a requirement to convict him of the manslaughter count.

"I could see if there was evidence in this case that my client was drinking or was under the influence of drugs," Garrigan said. "If there was evidence he was going through a red lights or that he went through a red light when he went through that intersection... He was driving at a high rate of speed but you need to consider that in terms of everyday human life. People speed sometimes -- sometimes they are late."

Posted on: 2015/10/23 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/20 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

No deal! Jersey City police officer headed to trial for fatal crash

By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
Follow on Twitter
on September 12, 2015 at  3:00 AM

The Jersey City police officer accused of striking and killing a man with his pickup truck in 2013 will go to trial after he again rejected a plea deal at a hearing Thursday.

Michael Spolizino, 36, is charged with aggravated manslaughter, death by auto, and leaving the scene of a fatal motor vehicle accident. He had until Thursday to decide if he would plead guilty to death by auto in exchange for the other charges being dismissed; and he would serve five to 10 years in prison.

Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Michael D'Andrea said Thursday that no deal was reached and that Hudson County Superior Court Judge Paul DePascale set Oct. 20 as the day Spolizino's trial would begin with jury selection.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... rsey_city_police_off.html

Posted on: 2015/9/12 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Plea cutoff date set for Jersey City police officer charged with death by auto

By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
Follow on Twitter
on August 24, 2015 at  4:52 PM

JERSEY CITY -- A plea cutoff date has been set for next month in the case of a Jersey City police officer accused of striking and killing a man with his pickup truck on Kennedy Boulevard in April 2013, an official said today.

Michael Spolizino, 36, is charged with aggravated manslaughter, death by auto, and leaving the scene of a fatal motor vehicle accident will have until the a Sept. 10 hearing at 9 a.m. to decide if he will accept a plea deal of five to 10 years in prison.  

Hudson County Superior Court Judge Paul DePascale is expected to set a trial date at the hearing if a plea deal has not been reached.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_city_police_office.html

Posted on: 2015/8/25 4:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Every hotspot that has a fatality due to speed or failing to stop at a red light, should be fitted with red light cameras and speed cameras in the specific stretch of road - No if's or but's ... a fatality should mandate an immediate camera.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 22:47
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It seems a plea deal is now back on the table. Originally the judge said no chance for that. WTH happened to change that?

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... p_charg.html#incart_river

And the speeding continues unenforced on this stretch of JFK. Cops have promised us more enforcement ever since this happened, as have Shea and the Mayor. We've yet to get it. Disgusting.

Posted on: 2014/10/22 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... html#incart_river_default

The April 19 fatality of a pedestrian crossing Kennedy Boulevard in Jersey City has led to a community-led effort to increase safety along the busy corridor.

Kara Hrabosky, a Democratic committeewoman who was neighbors with Stephen A. Clifford, the man who died on April 19, said the area has a history of bad accidents.

From Hrabosky?s apartment window, she?s seen moving cars collide, buses crash into bicyclists and tons of ?really bad driving.? But it was Clifford?s death ? a Jersey City cop is set to stand trial on aggravated manslaughter and other charges in connection to the accident ? that spurred neighbors to demand changes.

?We wanted to see some action taken," Hrabosky told The Jersey Journal.

On a Saturday last month, a group of about 25 -- including representatives from Hudson County, Jersey City and the state Department of Transportation -- met on Kennedy Boulevard to examine timing of traffic lights, traffic patterns and motorist and pedestrian behavior along Kennedy between Communipaw Avenue and Montgomery Street.

"We saw all sorts of insanity,? Hrabosky said. ?We saw a guy with a cane jaywalking.?

The ensuing report, to be created by the Rutgers University Transportation Safety Resource Center, will be leveraged to get funding for safety improvements.

Meanwhile, county spokesman Jim Kennelly said the county has already implemented some safety measures, including: new speed rumble strips; a new delayed green signal at Kennedy Boulevard and Duncan Avenue, one of the most dangerous junctures along Kennedy; and tree trimming near lights and traffic signals.

Hrabosky said she hopes community leaders can replicate this kind of study on Kennedy Boulevard in Journal Square. The roadway runs the entirety of Jersey City from north to south, and sees 19,000 cars a day.

Hopefully the new improvements and future plans will help prevent accidents like the one that killed Clifford, Hrabosky said.

?People shouldn?t be dying,? she said.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
No plea deal for Jersey City cop in fatal off-duty crash, prosecutor says

By Anthony J. Machcinski/The Jersey Journal

A Jersey City police officer who struck and killed a man crossing Kennedy Boulevard in April will not be offered a plea deal, Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Micgael D'Andrea told the court this morning in front of dozens of the victim's family members.

Spolizino, 36, who made a court appearance in front of Superior Court Judge Paul DePascale this morning, was informed by D'Andrea that there would be no plea offer in the case.

The officer is charged with aggravated manslaughter, death by auto and leaving the scene of a fatal motor vehicle accident. He is free on $125,000 bail. Initially, Spolizino was cited with four motor vehicle violations, including speeding.

READ MORE

I'm really not sure how I feel about this at all. And to the person making the Healy comment - I concur. To clarify, the accident occurred in April when Healy was still in office and under the former police Chief Comey.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
No plea deal for Jersey City cop in fatal off-duty crash, prosecutor says

By Anthony J. Machcinski/The Jersey Journal

A Jersey City police officer who struck and killed a man crossing Kennedy Boulevard in April will not be offered a plea deal, Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Micgael D'Andrea told the court this morning in front of dozens of the victim's family members.

Spolizino, 36, who made a court appearance in front of Superior Court Judge Paul DePascale this morning, was informed by D'Andrea that there would be no plea offer in the case.

The officer is charged with aggravated manslaughter, death by auto and leaving the scene of a fatal motor vehicle accident. He is free on $125,000 bail. Initially, Spolizino was cited with four motor vehicle violations, including speeding.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/10/7 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Yeah, wait a second, I thought we voted Healy out? How do we still have Healy-era tactics being played out by our wonderful JCPD? Protect and serve themselves-much?

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Good report Terrance.

This is crazy to me. How can the police refuse to say what the speed of the vehicle was? How is that legal in court?:
"Authorities allege Spolizino was speeding ? the speed limit on Kennedy Boulevard is 25 mph ? but have refused to say how fast he was driving. Jersey City officials, responding to a public-records request by The Jersey Journal, provided copies of the summonses Spolizino received, but the handwriting on the tickets is illegible."

Posted on: 2013/9/5 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Good report Terrance.

This is crazy to me. How can the police refuse to say what the speed of the vehicle was? How is that legal in court?:
"Authorities allege Spolizino was speeding ? the speed limit on Kennedy Boulevard is 25 mph ? but have refused to say how fast he was driving. Jersey City officials, responding to a public-records request by The Jersey Journal, provided copies of the summonses Spolizino received, but the handwriting on the tickets is illegible."

Posted on: 2013/9/5 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Listen: 911 calls reveal details of April 19 fatal crash involving Jersey City cop

The Jersey City cop who struck and killed a pedestrian on Kennedy Boulevard in April refused to give a 911 operator his name in the minutes following the fatal crash, newly released tapes reveal.

Michael Spolizino -- who was indicted on Aug. 6 on charges of aggravated manslaughter, death by auto and leaving the scene of an accident -- is tentative on the roughly minute-long call, one of at least 10 made to 911 that night.

?I just struck, I struck a male on Kennedy Boulevard,? Spolizino says in the call, which came in on Friday, April 19 at 10:06 p.m.

He adds later: ?The male, just, he came out?? before emitting what sounds like a frustrated sigh.

When the dispatcher asks for his name, Spolizino says, ?Um, I don?t want to give it right now.

Read more

Posted on: 2013/9/5 11:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/24 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

colleen wrote:
Or maybe because the PO is sworn to UPHOLD and Enforce the law, that first part is important, the us vs. them is a result of the long history of Do as I Say, not as I Do, as Mr. Vigilante points out.

Interesting handle, we all know how the Bradley Beach Brawl worked out for Mayor Healy.

The Bradley Beach Brawler handle was my little smack in the mouth to the Healy administration and especially the former "leadership" in the JCPD. A decade of incompetence and morale destroying decisions by Comey and his crew will not be reversed overnight but I can assure you that we are turning the corner.

Cop's are human and are subject to the frailty and temptation of the human condition. Have you ever been given a break by a cop Colleen?

On a side note 100 permanent walking post's have been established citywide since July 1st.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately JCPD have had a long history of #OOPS# ups - Steroid abuse, officer DUI (relative of Healy) killing a mother and child, officer found sleeping in patrol cars, officers never taking sick leave in over 20 years, detectives assaulting a victim and not the burglar, officers ignoring a cry for help that ended in murder, officer drinking in uniform while on 'private' construction traffic duties, officers buying and selling drugs ...... the list never ends and JCPD isn't even a large police force.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 14:02
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Or maybe because the PO is sworn to UPHOLD and Enforce the law, that first part is important, the us vs. them is a result of the long history of Do as I Say, not as I Do, as Mr. Vigilante points out.

Interesting handle, we all know how the Bradley Beach Brawl worked out for Mayor Healy.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 12:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/24 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
A woman was killed at St. Paul's & Kennedy by a tow truck and none of you people gave a shit. Elderly man suffers massive head trauma after being hit by a bus on Palisade Ave. and not a peep from the Monday morning quarterbacks and legal experts on JCList. 24 year old struck on Tonnele Ave and a cop working an off-duty job on his post gets the description of the car that fled out and renders aid to the victim as other cops quickly catch the fleeing vehicle. The first questions from you people are why was the 20 year old driver given a DWI.

Cop is involved in an accident and here comes the angry mob with torches and pitchforks yet people wonder where the us versus them philosophy comes from. Here's your answer.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 12:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/15 23:01
Group:
Registered Users
Oneskirt, a typo is when you make the mistake one time ,not when you repeat the same mistake.,and before you submit the post you have the chance to change it by previewing your post and if you find a typo or mistake you have the chance to correct any mistakes you made before you submit it. I'd rather be known as a dick then someone who is ignorant.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 12:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a little mystified as to how travelling 1-2 blocks, at night, then returning, can be considered leaving the scene? In the time it takes to get over the shock of hitting something, figuring it wasn't an attack, then pulling over somewhere you consider safe - a couple of blocks doesn't seem outrageous.

Anyhow, I agree with BBB. The cop will have his day in court and hopefully the family of the deceased will get some answers and some closure.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 4:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc344 wrote:
OneSkirt, I don't understand how you can state what PROBABLE CAUSE is since you keep referring to it as probably cause, which makes no Grammatical sense whatsoever . Speeding and leaving the scene (if in fact that happened) again in and of itself are not probable cause for an alcotest. I would tell you and the rest of the people what the probable cause for an alcotest is ,but unless you research it yourself ,you won't learn anything. I suggest you make a trip to the library and research PROBABLE CAUSE for the administration of an alcotest. Just don't look for it under probably cause because you'll never find it.

Umm, it was a typo that I cannot go back and edit. Way to be a dick.

Posted on: 2013/8/12 4:23

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017