Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Satis Bistro -Cafe - Gelato in Paulus Hook
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
What's up with the graffiti on the planters outside Satis, is it vandalism or art?

Posted on: 2013/2/16 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Lessons Learned, and Put on a Plate
A Review of Satis, in Jersey City
CONQUEST The name of the restaurant Satis, which is on Washington Street, means ?enough? in Latin, as in satisfied.

By FRAN SCHUMER
The New York Times
Published: January 11, 2013

When I first moved to New Jersey in 1987, residents of downtown Jersey City who cared about the latest trends in food did their dining in Hoboken. In 2001, Marco & Pepe opened to accommodate the growing influx of urban homesteaders, and now there are Madame Claude Cafe, the Light Horse Tavern and Thirty Acres, among other notable restaurants. There is also Satis.

Michael Fiorianti, formerly a chef at Goldman Sachs, became the executive chef at Satis when it opened in December 2010. (Satis means enough in Latin, as in the word satisfied.) Now the rest of us can enjoy the dishes he mastered by observing his Italian-American grandmother in her Brooklyn kitchen and, later, celebrated chefs like Thomas Keller.

I learned these facts during a telephone interview with Mr. Fiorianti after my visits, but only by tasting his pillow-soft ricotta gnocchi or lusty hanger steak can one appreciate how thoroughly he has absorbed these lessons. I ate simple dishes at Satis (bread, cured meat and cheese) and complex ones (a duck rag? entwined with stracciatella cheese), and all of them had the same effect: I wanted to move to within walking distance of Satis so that I could eat Mr. Fiorianti?s dishes every day.

Other talents helped create Satis. Michael Garcia and Geza Gulas, the owners, discovered a century-old building where Eastern European immigrants who settled in the area in the early 1900s bought their bread and meat. The soaring space inspired them to create a restaurant that had at its heart a salumeria. From here, patrons can purchase cheeses and meats to go ? Satis orders them from Salumeria Biellese, which also supplies Eataly in Manhattan ? or they can sample them in any of three beautifully renovated dining areas.

Each of these dining areas, a loft, a main room and a wine bar, is outfitted with a mix of functional accessories, like filament bulbs, and romantic ones, like swooping velvet drapes. The elegant marble bar is a copy of one that Mr. Gulas admired during a trip to his beloved Budapest, where he was born.

The best way to begin a meal at Satis is with a chef?s selection of meats and cheeses. It might include Murcia al Vino, a buttery goat cheese from Spain with a wine-soaked rind; or tartufo, a peppery, spiced salame whose smoky essence is the product of fragrant black summer truffles.

The bread that accompanies these items is appealingly tangy, and no wonder: it?s made using wine in the starter.

The apricot confit served with the chef?s selection is the essence of ripe, summer fruit. It and every other item on the platter may tempt you to make an entire meal of bread, cheese, cured meat ? and wine. The bar offers a vast selection, including 47 that you can order by the glass.

Beyond the products of the salumeria are other treasures. An involtini, or delicate eggplant roll, oozes peppery La Quercia prosciutto and melted buffalo mozzarella cheese. The p?t? de campagne that Mr. Fiorianti prepares from duck and pork livers exemplifies the best of country cooking: it emphasizes fat and highlights its virtues.

In contrast to these heartier appetizers, the arugula salad is both ethereal, thanks to a vinaigrette that Mr. Fiorianti lightens with fennel, and seductive, a result of the extra-sharp parmigiano-reggiano he shaves onto the greens.

Seductive also describes the restaurant?s signature dates wrapped in bacon ? sweet, salty, smoky packets of pleasure. Everywhere you look around the candlelit space, you see people tossing these back like candy.

You expect a restaurant built around a salumeria to feature perfectly cooked meats, and Satis obliges. It produces a filet mignon so rich it pops in the mouth with the lusty flavor of ripe beef, and a hanger steak with a hard crust and a silky, moist interior.

But can a restaurant so devoted to beef and salami work the same magic with seafood? The creamy diver scallops, each about an inch in diameter, prove that it can.

Brussels sprouts, which accompany the scallops, are also available as a side dish, afloat in a golden stew of caramelized Vidalia onions. During the weeks after I ate them, I ordered brussels sprouts in every restaurant I visited, but eventually I gave up. No place makes them like Satis. As one of my companions said, ?Everything here is just better than the usual version of everything anywhere else.?

Desserts include an irresistible sweet potato maple pecan cobbler, a German chocolate cake sundae and gelati in unusual flavors, like ricotta, custard and Elvis Presley (banana with a peanut butter swirl).

All restaurants have flaws, but when I asked the five people who accompanied me to Satis to name any, only one person could: The baby carrots served with her hanger steak were undercooked and a little bitter.

Well, maybe, but otherwise our meals were almost perfect.

Satis
212 Washington Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 435-5151
satisbistro.com

DON?T MISS
THE SPACE Functional (brick walls, filament lights) and romantic (antiques, draperies and candles). The main dining room seats 38; the loft, 36; and the wine bar, 20. Outdoor seating for 26 in milder weather. The main dining room and one of the restrooms are wheelchair-accessible.

THE CROWD Mostly young, hip and serious about food (watch people trading tastes).

THE BAR Impressive selection of spirits, including single malts, bourbons and ryes; cocktails from $9 to $11. New and old world wines ($27 to $110 for Veuve Clicquot Ros?), including 47 by the glass ($8 to $20). Bottled beers, $5.50 to $12.

THE BILL Appetizers, $6 to $11; chef?s selection of cheeses and meats, $24 to $44; entrees, $19 to $32; desserts, $6 to $8.50. American Express, MasterCard, Visa and Discover.

WHAT WE LIKED Ricotta gnocchi; hanger steak; chef?s selection of meats and cheeses; involtini or rolled eggplant; p?t? de campagne; dates wrapped with bacon; arugula salad; filet mignon; diver scallops; duck rag? with stracciatella; brussels sprouts; sweet potato maple pecan cobbler; German chocolate cake sundae; gelato.

IF YOU GO Brunch, Saturday and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dinner, Tuesday to Thursday, 6 to 10 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 6 to 11 p.m.; Sunday, 6 to 9 p.m. Reservations recommended. Parking on street and in nearby lots.

RATINGS Don?t Miss, Worth It, O.K., Don?t Bother.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/nyr ... -in-jersey-city.html?_r=0

Posted on: 2013/1/12 1:53

Re: Satis Bistro Now Open For Brunch Daily
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/16 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
I thought it was a very odd decision to stop serving lunch in the summer. I work in one of the big office buildings on the waterfront and I had been spreading the word to anyone who would listen about this great new place nearby. Several of my friends tried it and loved it.

So it seemed quite odd that you would just close up shop during the first year you're in business, while word of mouth is still growing. Most of the times I was in there for lunch it seemed reasonably busy.

Anyway, what do I know, I'm no restaurateur. I'm just glad you're back. I think the lunch menu is actually better than the dinner menu. I'll definitely be coming by.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 20:36

Satis Bistro Now Open For Brunch Daily

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/12 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Hello! I just wanted to let everyone in JC know that as of tomorrow, Satis Bistro will open for BRUNCH DAILY. Dinner hours remain the same, but the fall menu begins 9/20. Check us out at www.satisbistro.com. Thanks for your continued support! Best, Mike.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
While I love the food here - especially the short ribs and charcuterie the service here needs to change.

For the third time, we have been refused seating on the main floor - though it is totally empty (instead put in the upstairs that has no air conditioning - and yes I understand the concept of reservation - we had one for the past 3 weeks - I can understand one or two special tables being reserved but every table?) and served by possibly the worst waiter ever. He spent most of the evening checking his facebook or whatever on his phone, sulking in the corner drinking his water (while our glasses were empty) or rudely hanging over my dining companion to get a better look at the action downstairs.

We were told that the downstairs is reserved for the local regular customers - well I am local and I would be a regular if you didn't treat me like crap every time I come in for a meal.

Please fire the guy who is always serving upstairs...and get the AC fixed! I know its hot but run to home depot and grab a $99 AC so its comfortable in there

we'll be sticking with takeout from now on

Posted on: 2011/8/5 3:09

Re: Satis Bistro - THUMBS DOWN
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

balthazar wrote:
Went here for brunch last weekend. The waiter could give a hoot that we were actually CUSTOMERS. "Hey guys (we are both women), want to sit here?" Gee - thanks for the welcome, pal. Oh, and it was worst seat in the house (right by the door on a cold day) when others were empty. My friend and I both had the fritatta - was like a pile of Elmer's glue. Thankfully, we brought wine to slug it down with. What a waste. Next time I will head back to Le Source, where the bartenders and staff are charming.

Yeah-Le Source, where the staff is not charming, and the food sux. Stay there. I'll take your table at Satis anytime. Great service, great food, byob.

You are clearly a tool.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

balthazar wrote:
Went here for brunch last weekend. The waiter could give a hoot that we were actually CUSTOMERS. "Hey guys (we are both women), want to sit here?" Gee - thanks for the welcome, pal. Oh, and it was worst seat in the house (right by the door on a cold day) when others were empty. My friend and I both had the fritatta - was like a pile of Elmer's glue. Thankfully, we brought wine to slug it down with. What a waste. Next time I will head back to Le Source, where the bartenders and staff are charming.

Let's see:
1) First post, and user joined 5 minutes before posting.
2) Name checks and recommends competitor restaurant (one which at best gets mixed reviews)

Shill probability: 65%

Posted on: 2011/5/26 0:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

balthazar wrote:

Nice first post, however Le Source is tied with Hard Grove as the worst restaurant experience in downtown.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 23:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/11 22:52
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/5/25 21:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/25 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Catzeem wrote:
Any thoughts on the gelato @ Satis?

I've been a few times and found the woman at the counter somewhat rude. Also, I think the product @ Tommy's Two Scoops is superior and his flavors more inventive. On both occasions there was a worker or two smoking in front of the door and the whole place smelled like cigarettes. The front is walled in concrete, not the place for employees to smoke and not what you want a gelateria smelling like.

I?m quite fond of the restaurant but feel a disconnect with the gelateria next door. Any thoughts or experiences?

If we're talking about the same lady, she's one hot Czech!and not rude at all.

With regards to their Gelato, doesnt hold a candle to the real deal and unfortunatley JC has yet to have a locale that sells really good GELATO...

Its all about the Milk fat Baby!!!!!

Posted on: 2011/4/27 2:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 17:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Any thoughts on the gelato @ Satis?

I've been a few times and found the woman at the counter somewhat rude. Also, I think the product @ Tommy's Two Scoops is superior and his flavors more inventive. On both occasions there was a worker or two smoking in front of the door and the whole place smelled like cigarettes. The front is walled in concrete, not the place for employees to smoke and not what you want a gelateria smelling like.

I?m quite fond of the restaurant but feel a disconnect with the gelateria next door. Any thoughts or experiences?

Posted on: 2011/4/26 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
It was probably a NY accent, not a "jersey accent".

That's hilarious.

Posted on: 2011/1/27 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:

Unlike the diner who described the crowd as diverse, on the night we dined the crowd was nearly all tacky jersey-shore types. For example, the woman next to us had puffed hair and fingerless gloves on while dining. Lots of flashy tops, loud jersey accents, etc. Is this the usual crowd or did we just hit it on an unusual night?

It was probably a NY accent, not a "jersey accent".

Which brings me to my next point - if this restaurant was in a trendy neighborhood in Brooklyn full of transplants, and some diners overheard some fellow diners speaking in a loud obnoxious "fuhgetaboutit" Brooklyn accent, do you think the trendy patrons would be opposed? I think not. I think they would smile and say "ahh, this is an authentic Brooklyn experience!" Haha, funny.

I'm having dinner tonight at Satis with a small group for the first time, and I look forward to it.

Posted on: 2011/1/27 15:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
We really enjoyed our dinner here too-- the food and service at least. Oddly, my boyfriend did have pick out lots of very small chicken bones out of the coq au vin, so would not recommend that particular dish unless they've changed the preparation. Loved the black forest cake gelato dessert.

Unlike the diner who described the crowd as diverse, on the night we dined the crowd was nearly all tacky jersey-shore types. For example, the woman next to us had puffed hair and fingerless gloves on while dining. Lots of flashy tops, loud jersey accents, etc. Is this the usual crowd or did we just hit it on an unusual night?

Posted on: 2011/1/27 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
This place is great! The short ribs were excellent, the bacon wrapped dates were delicious and the gelato was perfect! It's BYOB which makes me happy!

A welcome addition to Jersey City!

Posted on: 2011/1/27 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Going again this Saturday night with out of town guests.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Been there twice. Loved the experience both times. Fresh food. Loved the selection. Nice to have another option in the neighborhood. Satis, keep doing what you're doing. Ignore the haters, they seem suspect. Besides, they won't be the ones frequenting your place. We will.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We had the same experience as yours last Saturday! and plan on going back at least once or twice a week! I agree totally. Can't wait to return :)

Quote:

jcnight wrote:
We went Saturday for Brunch and our meals were very good to excellent. I love the atmosphere and design of this place and would strongly recommend the brunch and cannot wait to try their dinner.
We sat upstairs and slowly watched the resturant fill with the diverse crowd that Jersaey City is so well known for.
Our appetizers were out of control AWSOME. Wild boar prosciutto, Pate's and diffrent cheeses to compliment each other ( and our wine) perfectly. Our waiter was fantastic with his recommendations for both wine and food.

Braised beef short ribs, boursin scrambeled eggs, pouched eggs, basil hollandaise, crispy pancetta, foccasia crestini and a few other items all were a part of our meals that we shared beacuse we could not decide on just one menu item. My favorite was the braised short ribs. OMG. The owner could not have been nicer and more open to hear suggestions or recommendations for his place. He brought over so many diffrent items for us to try includeing a creme brulee to die for.
My plans for next Saturday are to go to Satis for Brunch I cant wait!

Just want to add. They do have a wine menu. You pick and they run to the store down the block and get. SEAMLESS.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 4:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/3 18:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
We went Saturday for Brunch and our meals were very good to excellent. I love the atmosphere and design of this place and would strongly recommend the brunch and cannot wait to try their dinner.
We sat upstairs and slowly watched the resturant fill with the diverse crowd that Jersaey City is so well known for.
Our appetizers were out of control AWSOME. Wild boar prosciutto, Pate's and diffrent cheeses to compliment each other ( and our wine) perfectly. Our waiter was fantastic with his recommendations for both wine and food.

Braised beef short ribs, boursin scrambeled eggs, pouched eggs, basil hollandaise, crispy pancetta, foccasia crestini and a few other items all were a part of our meals that we shared beacuse we could not decide on just one menu item. My favorite was the braised short ribs. OMG. The owner could not have been nicer and more open to hear suggestions or recommendations for his place. He brought over so many diffrent items for us to try includeing a creme brulee to die for.

Just want to add. They do have a wine menu. You pick and they run to the store down the block and get. SEAMLESS.

Wow. I had the complete opposite experience. Hopefully they've worked out the kinks since.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/1/24 15:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/2 11:39
Group:
Registered Users
the food at satis was very good. had the soup of the day and coc a viv and it was excellent. i woul recomend this place to go for a good dinner. the only problem the tables are too close together and the chairs were uncomfotble. i would go back again and the dessert was delicious and the foof is not overpriced.

Posted on: 2011/1/18 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Spoiled by Lighthorse? That's possible?

Posted on: 2011/1/14 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Tried Satis the other night and enjoyed it quite a bit.

The food we got was very good - bacon-wrapped dates, bresaola, short rib, and jumbo prawns. The gelato sundaes were also quite good as well.

Given how busy the place was (there was a very large group plus a full house) the service was good. Food came out pretty quickly, which is more than I can say for Marco & Pepe. I didn't get a particularly brusque tone from the waiter as some others seem to have.

I thought the prices were quite reasonable, although the appetizers were a tad on the small side for the price. In any case our total bill was quite reasonable. And BYO certainly helps on the cost front.

Posted on: 2011/1/14 22:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/27 17:46
Group:
Registered Users
tried it the other night, food was ok, service was decent, they need to have more room between tables as it was hard to walk by someone without hitting their chairs!

what surprised us was the bill, the fish special was $28, which is substantially higher than expected for the quality and the portion. I guess we were spoiled by light horse.

not sure if we'll go back again.

Posted on: 2011/1/14 21:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/13 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote;

JCProducer wrote:
I love how people say their are "lots" of options in the neighborhood and DTJC as a whole. There are like 6-8 decent restaurants in all of downtown JC. If you slice that down to Paulus Hook you have less then that.

Lighthorse is pedestrian. Its a pub. Its a place for a good burger and a beer. Anything else on the menu could be made by a 22 yr old grad of the CIA. Presto is an upgrade to the Olive Garden. Yes its good. But that is it, its not pushing the boundaries of Italian Cuisine in any way.

When many people say italian is good, they are usually just saying americanized southern family style italian fare. Its like when Old people call a restaurant good - Really they are just saying its cheap and there are big portions. The flavors are not dramatically impressive or sophisticated. They are just good.

Spirt if Laximi is great indian. I dig it and its worth going in for.

Johns pizza is ok. Not impressive. Paulus Hook Brick oven is a good slice, but is not going to make me compare it to the pizza of Naples.

Now Satis. Satis takes balls. Satis is a place that reminds me of Babo or Lupa its in design. But makes me feel comfortable, like as if I was at a Trattoria in a back street in Florence. Its a balance of design and atmosphere. That is what I expect from a restaurant especially when I am paying for that experience.

I love a good burger from Corner Bistro, and its plebeian decor is what adds to my love for it. But Satis, clearly has nailed the experience. But experience without heart and soul is nothing. Kind of like like driving a Ferarri with a 4 cylinder engine.

Satis has heart. It has soul. It has spirit and that is delivered in the form of a plate of love. Satis in the end has balls. And there is nothing like it in JC and maybe not all of Hudson County. It reminds me in its own way of Culinariane in Montclair. Same level of sophistication, atmosphere, taste and top notch service.

Mike keep up the great work and continue to have the guts to do what you do. Envy and Jealousy are transparent and they will nip at your hells, but overtime, they will come to shine your shoes and you bask in your glory.

RESPONSE;

The light horse is pedestrian ... hmmmm. Interesting commentary. But your analysis is fraught with bias, sir. We frequent all of the Paulis Hook restaurants weekly... have been doing so since they all opened. Objectively, each offers quality, unique depth in atmoshere, and variations to please the masses. While we are not Naples or Florence in good old Jersey City, is it important to pretend we are? How cool is our little village with all that offers? Four cycliner Ferraris (can you say Italianphile)? Enough digressing.

Satis as the "new kid on the block" will certainly be welcomed warmly. But honestly, in our neighborhood, do we need a place where the help has an attitude? Everywhere we go, the owners, managers and wait staff are friendly, warm and add to the neighborhood feel. Pretentiousness and bad manners are just that. It takes away from the taste of the food.

In fairness, this place is going to need some time to find its way. But with great food at resasonable prices, the missing ingredient
appears to be a well behaved staff.

I do not know about all of you out there, but we prefer to have a nice respectful discourse when paying for a dining experience.
Maybe even a smile and a few laughs, yes?

The most important thing for the owner of any patron driven business to pay attention to is: customer SATISfaction.

It is better to create smiles when someone enters or leaves your establishment, than it is to create great meals no one comes in to eat.

SatisQuote:

emergent wrote:
I saw a sign on the front of Satis Bistro about their grand opening. It's supposedly happening on December 9th. You can make reservations on Open Table.

It looks fairly interesting, and it's nice to have a BYOB option in the area other than Presto's and their crappy wine glasses that taste like dish detergent.

Satis Bistro on Jersey City Guide with photos

212 Washington Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302

Posted on: 2011/1/13 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stevewg22 wrote:
Well, finally sat and had dinner there last night. It was...just okay. First, I hope whoever the head waiter guy is, he isn't a partial owner of this place. Because if he is, he will surely be the demise of Satis. As when I first went there (and left), it was a very odd greeting. Like sort of angrily asking if you have a reservation. We did. Got seated, looking at the menus we decided to pick a few of the small plates to start. We ordered Prosciutto de Parma and the Murcia Al Vino cheese. When the waiter brought it over I noticed that the ham looked a little light. I tasted it and it was definitely not Prosciutto de Parma. The cheese was also not the cheese we ordered. When I called the waiter over to ask about the ham he said "we have a special kind of prosciutto, um, it's like a combination of Parma and San danielle. From the same region though". This was complete b.s. he just made up. Those hams in fact are specifically named for the regions they come from. It was more like a plain french ham. This waiter gave us the feeling that we don't know what we're talking about and he was ready to argue so I just nodded my head ok. I ate the ham anyway, which was really good. It just seemed odd to me not to say, I made a mistake or I don't know, let me check with the chef.

Wow, I'm not the only one who had this same experience. My wife and I ordered the Croque Monsieur which was supposed to be made with Prosciutto de Parma and Gruyere and what we got seemed to us to have little to do with either and it was obviously the same gruff waiter who greeted and served us. My wife immediately said that it was just typical ham and the gruyere was in a sauce that was poured over the top and not inside the sandwich as expected. Not exactly and improvement on this classic french dish IMHO.

Posted on: 2011/1/13 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, sorry to hear of your bad experience :(
Guess we have been lucky all 3 times we have gone...Great Food, Great Service. We will certainly be returning again and again. Love this place. Not a fan of Marco and Pepe's. But we can all find our own special places where we love the food and the service and Satis is ours for sure :)
Love the food and the prices. Love that we can bring the wine(s) of our choice too :)

Posted on: 2011/1/13 2:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/3 18:44
Group:
Registered Users
Well, finally sat and had dinner there last night. It was...just okay. First, I hope whoever the head waiter guy is, he isn't a partial owner of this place. Because if he is, he will surely be the demise of Satis. As when I first went there (and left), it was a very odd greeting. Like sort of angrily asking if you have a reservation. We did. Got seated, looking at the menus we decided to pick a few of the small plates to start. We ordered Prosciutto de Parma and the Murcia Al Vino cheese. When the waiter brought it over I noticed that the ham looked a little light. I tasted it and it was definitely not Prosciutto de Parma. The cheese was also not the cheese we ordered. When I called the waiter over to ask about the ham he said "we have a special kind of prosciutto, um, it's like a combination of Parma and San danielle. From the same region though". This was complete b.s. he just made up. Those hams in fact are specifically named for the regions they come from. It was more like a plain french ham. This waiter gave us the feeling that we don't know what we're talking about and he was ready to argue so I just nodded my head ok. I ate the ham anyway, which was really good. It just seemed odd to me not to say, I made a mistake or I don't know, let me check with the chef.

On to the entrees, we got the Gnocchi and the short ribs. The Gnocchi are decent, but be warned they are very cream heavy and mine were way over seasoned (very salty). The short ribs on the other hand were very good.

So, the odd waiter behavior continues. We look at the desert menu. Having just come back from Italy I was really looking forward to the Gelato here. We ordered Mint chip and Cookie dough with a chocolate syrup. When we took our first bites we looked at each other and said, "there is no mint or cookie dough in this at all." It was two vanilla scoops. We were a little intimidated to ask about it, because the waiter was so strange. I did anyway, he proceeded to tell us it was the chocolate syrup masking the taste. And we can't taste the mint because it is very subtle and we may not be used to that. Isn't the point of gelato to taste the fresh ingredients it's made with. So he returns with two new scoops (one still not cookie dough) and the syrup on the side. Obviously because my palate is not refined enough to taste mint through chocolate syrup. Again, not owning up to a mistake or not knowing what is what in the place.

Sorry for the loooong post, but I just think people should know whats going on with the wait staff here. This guy really doesn't know anything about the food in the place, and when called out, gets really weird on argumentative. He seems to be the boss of all the waiters (we saw him lash out at a few of the other staff).

Also, as far as the wine delivery thing. Not sure thats happening. Overheard him say to one patron, if you want wine theres a store down the block. Maybe they can't do the delivery thing without the fee everyone was describing.

Overall we had a really odd experience. Mostly because of this waiter. He was the same waiter that made me feel odd on sunday when I walked out. The food was pretty good. Marco and Pepe is still way better food and service. Still contemplating wether I'll ever go back. Not sure I will. Especially if that waiter is still working there. I really hope the chef reads this, as not all chef/owners know whats happening front of house.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
My husband and I went there on Sat; we needed to make reservations but they use OpenTable, which is good. We've been missing a great, continental-style sit-down, sorta-special occasion place since Ox's demise ... and Satis delivered. Food was really, really great; we sat downstairs and tables were a bit tight, but we didn't mind. Because of BYO, the meal was an incredible value for what we got (meat/cheese platter for app, two entrees, shared gelato sundae, coffees) for $88 (incl tip).

I wish it was a bit closer because the sandwiches/lunches look great. We'll definitely return in the Spring (it's about 30-min walk in the snow, which clearly is relentless for this winter :)

Posted on: 2011/1/12 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
We went there over the weekend with friends. The food was fantastic. The service was competent, if a bit cold. (I don't think we got a single smile from any of the waitstaff). You definitely need reservations, and make them at least a day in advance. Great addition to JC.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 13:42

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017