Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Where to voice your concern/complaint to get safer streets for pedestrians
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
To the douche-bag in the red Cargo Van who tried to pass me on Coles Street today under the Turnpike, Nice Try. And for your sins I drove well under the 25mph speed limit to give you a "time-out".

Posted on: 2011/6/9 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I saw a f**kwit today run a red light today on Kennedy and Newark, Happy to report that they were pulled over and likely issued a ticket.

Posted on: 2011/5/6 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Today I saw a cop writing a ticket for a biker he had pulled over on Marin. He immediately pulled over another speeder when he left the biker. Nice to see especially around rush hour. Thank You JCPD.

Posted on: 2011/5/6 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Robocub wrote:
To everyone who cares on this thread and wants a STOP sign or traffic light installed or improved, direct your ideas, complaints, concerns to where it counts, to the people who can take action... I did and I got the 3-way stop sign and alternating red light at the intersection of 10th & Erie. Sometimes raising your voice works. Try it, you've got nothing to lose. Complaining on this board is not effective.

I admire your initiative, but wouldn't it make more sense to get drivers to know the rules of the road and comply with them rather than making every intersection in town an all way stop?

...and let us know who these action-ready people are?

Posted on: 2011/3/29 0:45

Re: Downtown Jersey City major streets very unsafe and bad access for pedestrians
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Today I was pleased to see 2 speed-traps in downtown Jersey City. I won't mention where but it was nice to see some enforcement on our increasingly dangerous streets. Thanks JCPD.

So where are they ?

Posted on: 2011/3/29 0:39

Re: Downtown Jersey City major streets very unsafe and bad access for pedestrians
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Today I was pleased to see 2 speed-traps in downtown Jersey City. I won't mention where but it was nice to see some enforcement on our increasingly dangerous streets. Thanks JCPD.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 23:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Just remember, as a pedestrian in Jersey City, how fast you move, determines how long you live.

Posted on: 2011/3/23 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Until the traffic laws are enforced, the additional signs make no difference. People do not stop for stop lights and they do not stop for stop signs.

Posted on: 2011/3/23 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Robocub wrote:
To everyone who cares on this thread and wants a STOP sign or traffic light installed or improved, direct your ideas, complaints, concerns to where it counts, to the people who can take action... I did and I got the 3-way stop sign and alternating red light at the intersection of 10th & Erie. Sometimes raising your voice works. Try it, you've got nothing to lose. Complaining on this board is not effective.

I admire your initiative, but wouldn't it make more sense to get drivers to know the rules of the road and comply with them rather than making every intersection in town an all way stop?

Posted on: 2011/3/23 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
A neighbor ended up with a fractured skull on Friday night after being struck by a car which ran the Stop-sign by the Hamilton Inn. Neighbor was on his bike returning from Hoboken. Witnesses said that the two women who emerged from the offending car took time to light up their cigarettes before approaching their victim. I hope he sues them silly.

Horrible story, what is the exact intersection and where are the stop signs situated ? What direction was the cyclist traveling ? Is there anyway we can get an update on the cyclist, and does the cyclist normaly use the bike as the primary mode of transportation ?

10th and Jersey. I believe he was moving southbound on Jersey as he was coming from Hoboken. Stop-signs are on the 10th Street East/Westbound corners. Witnesses from Hamilton Inn say the woman ran the Stop-sign. He is doing as good as can be expected. Temporal fracture with hearing defecit for now. He is expected to recover well although he cannot drive for 3 weeks and that's his livelihood. He is not a bike nut but he bikes more than most.

Well thank you for the reply. I bike myself so this story comes close to home for me. At least the driver of the vehicle didn't leave the scene. With the stop sign regulating the flow of traffic it surely shows that the driver of the car is clearly at fault. Even though there is no question of who has the right of way a sign can only do so much. Please send the cyclist my regards, I hope he makes a full recovery.
I biked for a long time without a helmet but finally decided it wasn't worth it. Hope your neighbor gets better.

Posted on: 2011/3/23 14:01

Where to voice your concern/complaint to get safer streets for pedestrians
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/29 11:21
From Jersey City, Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

I contacted these people and got it done.

Contact the Mayor?s Action Bureau by going to http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/administration.aspx?id=1204 or calling 201-547-4900 and asking that signs and pedestrian caution measures be taken immediately to make this intersection safer.

Also email Director D'Souza at joao@jcnj.org and his supervisor Chuck Lee (director of engineering) at clee@jcnj.org

Steven M. Fulop - Jersey City Councilman, Ward "E"
FulopS@jcnj.org

Posted on: 2011/3/23 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tawaka7777 wrote:
on my corner on monmouth streeet on eight street there are too many accidents because cars come down speedinyou cant cross thr street there are so many accidents that cars \went right into the fence on the corner house i was crossing and a car came speeding down and almost hit me did not even stop to see if anyone was coming when are this city going to learn tout a light here it is a very dangerous corner. this is a big issue here. are they waiting for someone to get killed first before something is done,

With all due respect, it is very hard to read what you wrote. Please use punctuation , check your spelling and be mindful of run on sentences. I think I agree with what you are saying but...

Posted on: 2011/3/22 22:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/2 11:39
Group:
Registered Users
on my corner on monmouth streeet on eight street there are too many accidents because cars come down speedinyou cant cross thr street there are so many accidents that cars \went right into the fence on the corner house i was crossing and a car came speeding down and almost hit me did not even stop to see if anyone was coming when are this city going to learn tout a light here it is a very dangerous corner. this is a big issue here. are they waiting for someone to get killed first before something is done,

Posted on: 2011/3/22 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
A neighbor ended up with a fractured skull on Friday night after being struck by a car which ran the Stop-sign by the Hamilton Inn. Neighbor was on his bike returning from Hoboken. Witnesses said that the two women who emerged from the offending car took time to light up their cigarettes before approaching their victim. I hope he sues them silly.

Horrible story, what is the exact intersection and where are the stop signs situated ? What direction was the cyclist traveling ? Is there anyway we can get an update on the cyclist, and does the cyclist normaly use the bike as the primary mode of transportation ?

10th and Jersey. I believe he was moving southbound on Jersey as he was coming from Hoboken. Stop-signs are on the 10th Street East/Westbound corners. Witnesses from Hamilton Inn say the woman ran the Stop-sign. He is doing as good as can be expected. Temporal fracture with hearing defecit for now. He is expected to recover well although he cannot drive for 3 weeks and that's his livelihood. He is not a bike nut but he bikes more than most.

Well thank you for the reply. I bike myself so this story comes close to home for me. At least the driver of the vehicle didn't leave the scene. With the stop sign regulating the flow of traffic it surely shows that the driver of the car is clearly at fault. Even though there is no question of who has the right of way a sign can only do so much. Please send the cyclist my regards, I hope he makes a full recovery.

Posted on: 2011/3/22 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2011/3/21 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2011/3/21 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
In my opinion, the lack of enforcement from the JCPD, JCIA and JCPA is the biggest reason why Jersey City may never reach it's full potential. Law breakers do not fear being held accountable by the authorites so they become emboldened. Drivers run red lights and stop signs because they know the police never catch them. People illegally dump their household trash in public cans causing overflow time and time again because they know the JCIA is not watching and never issues fines. Driver constantly place the public in danger by parking too close to the corners or on top of the crosswalks because they don't fear being ticketed or better yet TOWED by the JCPA. I walked by the East District Police Station the other day and someone tagged a building right across the street with graffitti. DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET from the police station!! If that's not a sign of what's wrong with JC then I don't know what is.

Posted on: 2011/3/21 21:49

Downtown Jersey City major streets very unsafe and bad access for pedestrians
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
As a year long resident here I couldnt agree more. The problem is that even though there is a law in NJ requiring cars to stop at designated crosswalks, nobody does. Just like there are laws requiring people to pick up their dog's crap, and not throw litter on the streets.

Heres the solution, I think:

1. Get some cops back on the street, either on foot or on bike. This was the case when mayor Bret was in charge, and is very successful in many other cities.

2. Start advertising that JC is going to enforce the law--stopping for peds, picking up dog poo, and not trashing our city. This could be done on utility bills, or simply everywhere that "Mayor Jeremiah T. Healy" appears on trucks, signs, sides of cars, etc.

3. Have those street cops give out tickets liberally to violators. Word will get around fast when a couple of hundred people get $200 tickets. Note that NYC is ticketing bikes running through red lights to the tune of $250! Ouch...

JC has so much potential, but people need to feel like they are safe. Cleaning up the place and showing courtesy to peds could go a long ways in improving our city and not cost us anything.

Posted on: 2011/3/21 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
both Coles and Jersey at 10th should have 4 way stops - they are extremely dangerous as currently signed...

Posted on: 2011/3/21 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Witnesses said that the two women who emerged from the offending car took time to light up their cigarettes before approaching their victim.

Probably to mask the smell of alcohol.

Posted on: 2011/3/21 17:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
Ugh... the intersection at 10th and Jersey is treacherous, especially at night. There's no stop sign coming down Jersey from the direction of the tunnel approach, but I think people assume that there is. And people often run the stop signs along 10th. I hope the cyclist w/ the fractured skull is okay.

Quote:
A neighbor ended up with a fractured skull on Friday night after being struck by a car which ran the Stop-sign by the Hamilton Inn.

Posted on: 2011/3/21 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2011/3/21 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Trambone said:
Quote:

The only stop sign is by that lowsy bar.

Definitely not true! Along 10th St, between Monmouth and Erie, there is a STOP sign at each intersection (total of three) as you head East / West. Most people seem too oblivious to actually stop at some, or all, of them.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 22:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
The solution is clearly to give all pedestrians cars.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 0:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/14 1:55
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
This spring I walked up to a couple of cops in the intersection of Mercer and Jersey. They were directing traffic and clearing the street after an accident that had taken place a short time before.
A car was being towed away, and it looked like that car clipped the rear of another that couldn't get across the intersection fast enough.
I told the police that it was a dangerous spot and pointed to one parked car as an example, saying something like "look, you can't see past that car if you're pulling out."
The cop said, "that car didn't have nothin' to do with it."
I said "but look," and pointed out that at least five of a possible eight cars parked at that intersection were too close to the corners.
Cop said, "We'll take care of this"
They did nothing.

I stopped a woman giving out a loading zone violation from her cart in front of Jersey Wines and Liquors, and pointed out a Library truck parked directly at the stop sign on the end of Mercer and asked her why she didn't ticket it, the law said 50ft! from a stop sign.
She said "I didn't give you a ticket." And drove away. ??

I had another cart guy tell me he just wrote tickets for zone permit violations.

I feel that they look at me as if to say, "What's the matter with you? A guy's got a right to park his car."

I really do wonder why they give a pass to so many dangerously parked cars.

They don't care because they make enough money ticketing people for street cleaning and over 2 hour parking limits. I was surprised they didn't care about the 50 ft either, shit they didn't care when some guy parked ALL NIGHT at the fire hydrant across from my place. However, after seeing how anally street cleaner comes at the first seconds of the cleaning hours, and counting all the tickets I got while I knew all the parking rules, enforcing proper traffic procedures might be more trouble than its worth to JC cops. I mean do you want deal calling a tow truck and all, it;s easier to just write an overtime parking ticket, or boot somebody for not having a parking permit. This poor parking enforcemnts do make both driving and crossing streets very dangerous.

Here's a clip I saw few months ago (although it's not a parking issue, it takes place in JC right on Marin BLVD)

http://videos.nj.com/jersey-journal/2 ... ver_injures_jersey_c.html

Posted on: 2010/9/3 23:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
This spring I walked up to a couple of cops in the intersection of Mercer and Jersey. They were directing traffic and clearing the street after an accident that had taken place a short time before.
A car was being towed away, and it looked like that car clipped the rear of another that couldn't get across the intersection fast enough.
I told the police that it was a dangerous spot and pointed to one parked car as an example, saying something like "look, you can't see past that car if you're pulling out."
The cop said, "that car didn't have nothin' to do with it."
I said "but look," and pointed out that at least five of a possible eight cars parked at that intersection were too close to the corners.
Cop said, "We'll take care of this"
They did nothing.

I stopped a woman giving out a loading zone violation from her cart in front of Jersey Wines and Liquors, and pointed out a Library truck parked directly at the stop sign on the end of Mercer and asked her why she didn't ticket it, the law said 50ft! from a stop sign.
She said "I didn't give you a ticket." And drove away. ??

I had another cart guy tell me he just wrote tickets for zone permit violations.

I feel that they look at me as if to say, "What's the matter with you? A guy's got a right to park his car."

I really do wonder why they give a pass to so many dangerously parked cars.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
At the intersection of Jersey and Montgomery this morning, I counted five cars that went through the red light while the walk sign was on in the other direction. Where is the camera?

Posted on: 2010/9/3 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
The only stop sign is by that lowsy bar.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
And that's twice today we have found common ground...!

The issue with Monmouth is beyond belief. It's hard to understand why the police refuses to do some sort of continued traffic enforcement all along that road. That road is a major shortcut to get around the Marin Blvd approach to the tunnel abused by many out-of-towners. Personally, I also drive on Monmouth to avoid all of the downtown traffic (Jersey Ave, Marin Blvd, etc.) but I do so in a mindful way obeying the traffic signs and speed limits. Still, I am always concerned for my well-being when doing so and actually slow down and/or stop at each intersection (regardless of whether or not I have the right of way) because I am terrified of what I have witnessed in the past and because seeing opposite traffic is next to impossible with so many cars parked so close to the corners. Driving down on Monmouth is no different than Russian Roulette. The same could be said for 10th Street, where most people refuse to observe the STOP signs. I have had some close calls while riding my car and bicycle. What will it take for the city to finally tackle these issues? A pedestrian death? Possibly a kid getting mowed down by some douche speeding down that road???

Posted on: 2010/9/3 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
In this most recent accident this guy couldn't care less about Stop-Signs, parked cars or pedestrians. If I were involved in an accident at any of these corners I would insist that the JCPD record the license numbers of any cars parked too close to the corners. I would then include those drivers in any litigation.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 14:12

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017