Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
63 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Music Box 7th and Monmouth
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone tried the new restaurant yet? I've been out of town for the last two weeks, but am interested for when I return. Any good?

Posted on: 2017/3/2 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
It's just Rosa's Le Deli reopening where she was. The McNair kids will be happy.

Posted on: 2017/2/21 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
So new liquor license?

Posted on: 2017/2/21 14:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/28 22:28
From The Village, Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Tuesday, February 21, 2017

New Spanish Restaurant Replaces The Music Box

A new Spanish restaurant is opening today on the corner of Monmouth and 7th in the former Music Box space at 322 1/2 7th Street.

After having been closed and reopened a few times, The Music Box (later, the New Music Box), a local neighborhood bar, shut down permanently late last year. It seems as though the space is owned by the same family, but has been rented out to new tenants who are opening up a casual Spanish restaurant that will serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There is some seating inside and it's a fairly large space, but they anticipate doing more take-out then eat-in. As of yesterday, no official name or sign was posted.

They'll be open today from 7am-7pm with a limited menu to start with and plan to slowly expand over the next couple of weeks.

http://jerseycityeats.blogspot.com/20 ... urant-replaces-music.html

Posted on: 2017/2/21 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
According to another family member the plan is to rent the space to TBD gringo restaurateur. Hope it's a good addition to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2016/8/17 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
This place is being gutted. Anybody know the plan? Rosa's has moved down to 5th st, and she couldn't say what her sister was up to.

Hope they don't have a new liquor license.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 16:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/2 21:46
Group:
Registered Users
the bar is still closed and the neighborhood is safe. that being said, it's still a city. i walk my dog late at night in the area every night and don't worry.

Posted on: 2015/5/14 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCNewbie03 wrote:
I am moving to the neighborhood and reading this is freaking me out! Anyone know if this bar is back open?

Besides this bar, how is the rest of the nearby neighborhood? I've never lived in JC before, but the many times I've walked around I've never felt unsafe (I also never walked around this area late at night), but reading the posts in this forum make me feel nervous walking from the Grove St station in the dark.......

Unless you're going to live in one of the buildings with a window that is facing directly into the Music Box, I don't think if you have anything to worry about, unless people standing outside smoking and dropping their cigarette butts on the sidewalk out front bothers you.

The rest of the nearby neighborhood is perfectly fine, I lived there almost 10 years and I felt safe. Walking from the Grove Street station in the dark was something I did frequently, unless it was really late, in which case I took a cab. With Uber being readily available in Jersey City, you have even more options. Just exercise your street smarts and common sense.

Posted on: 2015/5/14 5:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCNewbie03 wrote:
I am moving to the neighborhood and reading this is freaking me out! Anyone know if this bar is back open?

Besides this bar, how is the rest of the nearby neighborhood? I've never lived in JC before, but the many times I've walked around I've never felt unsafe (I also never walked around this area late at night), but reading the posts in this forum make me feel nervous walking from the Grove St station in the dark.......

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/5/14 4:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/3 2:09
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/14 3:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Is everyone on here a baby boomer?

Posted on: 2015/4/1 12:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
aaaaaaaand we've got a prime example of someone who should have a friendly bartender to cut them off. sir or miss, put down the bottle, consider checking into rehab if this sort of thing happens often

Quote:

score09 wrote:
A lot of negative publicity regarding this once FINE establishment, catering to the revolutionaries, as opposed to the DOMINATED (by corporate culture) haunts such as White Star Bar. And all the other johnny-come-lately CAPITALISTS. Like all the ones imported from MNHTTN and BKLYN. Terrible amount of "corporate"capitalists coming in now, catering to the equally dispicable MBAs walking around working for the Goldman Sachs! This here is GROUND ZERO for corporate capitalist PIGS working for the pernicious WALL STREET WEAKINGS AND WALL STREET WHIMPS!

A tragedy though, that gone is this establishment. Where now can we obtain beer after hours?

Goodie-goodie Capitalists. BY THE THROAT I choke you with a serrated edge knife. Goodie goodies with your six figure income (which by the way, excluding NON MERETRICIOUS bonus) is NOMINAL, even in less expensive parts of America) you mean NOTHING. This was a fine establishment. Regardless of the goodie goodie capitalists who hold fast to the idea that Jersey City, let alone America, is somehow not bought and paid for.

I loved this place, the family that owned it so far nicer than the the complaining businesses and residents nearby! When the revolution comes people -- AND IT WILL -- this corner of 7th and Monmouth will be FAR more humane.

Oh, by the way...to the Wall Street morons (the disgraceful pigs)..,those bonuses? Well those bonouses are NON MERETRICIOUS. Always habe been, and ALWAYS WILL BE!

Lol, lol, till death!

I take it you have missed his previous rambling posts?

Posted on: 2015/4/1 11:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
aaaaaaaand we've got a prime example of someone who should have a friendly bartender to cut them off. sir or miss, put down the bottle, consider checking into rehab if this sort of thing happens often

Quote:

score09 wrote:
A lot of negative publicity regarding this once FINE establishment, catering to the revolutionaries, as opposed to the DOMINATED (by corporate culture) haunts such as White Star Bar. And all the other johnny-come-lately CAPITALISTS. Like all the ones imported from MNHTTN and BKLYN. Terrible amount of "corporate"capitalists coming in now, catering to the equally dispicable MBAs walking around working for the Goldman Sachs! This here is GROUND ZERO for corporate capitalist PIGS working for the pernicious WALL STREET WEAKINGS AND WALL STREET WHIMPS!

A tragedy though, that gone is this establishment. Where now can we obtain beer after hours?

Goodie-goodie Capitalists. BY THE THROAT I choke you with a serrated edge knife. Goodie goodies with your six figure income (which by the way, excluding NON MERETRICIOUS bonus) is NOMINAL, even in less expensive parts of America) you mean NOTHING. This was a fine establishment. Regardless of the goodie goodie capitalists who hold fast to the idea that Jersey City, let alone America, is somehow not bought and paid for.

I loved this place, the family that owned it so far nicer than the the complaining businesses and residents nearby! When the revolution comes people -- AND IT WILL -- this corner of 7th and Monmouth will be FAR more humane.

Oh, by the way...to the Wall Street morons (the disgraceful pigs)..,those bonuses? Well those bonouses are NON MERETRICIOUS. Always habe been, and ALWAYS WILL BE!

Lol, lol, till death!

Posted on: 2015/4/1 4:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
That shitty little country on the Eastern edge of the Mediterranean, and its ETHOS. Gone, gone, gone.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users

Lol, lol, till death!

Posted on: 2015/4/1 3:03

Edited by score09 on 2015/4/1 3:21:10
Edited by score09 on 2015/4/1 3:23:50
Edited by score09 on 2015/4/1 3:26:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I walked by this evening - it seemed to be open, though in a more subdued manner. What's the story?

Posted on: 2014/12/6 5:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
If that means there will be some peace and quiet in the neighborhood, even if only temporarily, great.

I honestly never understood peoples' opposition to that place though. I lived across the street from it for years and never was really bothered by it. Yes, it could get loud sometimes but many people, including myself, moved into the neighborhood knowing full well that the place was there. They chose to "come to the nuisance" as the legal term goes.

People complained earlier in this thread about their kids' bedroom windows facing the noisy building - well why did you choose to live by the place, especially when you have children? This is a city people. You want quiet, tree lined streets 24/7? Move further out into Essex or Warren County. You don't want to live that far from your job? Not my problem. Not the bar's or anybody else's problem. I honestly don't understand people who continue to live in this city when they have school-age children who could easily afford to live in a quiet suburb with decent public schools anyway.

The place met all the zoning requirements and was not breaking any laws simply by being a bar. Maybe they were in violation of noise-related laws but again, this is a city. Live with it.

Well, don't you just have everyone figured out.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Yes, it could get loud sometimes but many people, including myself, moved into the neighborhood knowing full well that the place was there. They chose to "come to the nuisance" as the legal term goes.

When I moved here 17 years ago it was closed after a fire. So there! I understand your argument, but the fact was they were (hopeful past tense) really shitty, inconsiderate neighbors, who attracted a clientele who were NOT from the neighborhood and could not give a shit about who they bothered with their late night mayhem.

A truly neighborhood place like the ones I mentioned are good neighbors because that's they're clientele, their neighbors. Both the bar wants to keep it cool to keep their customers, and the customers know their neighbors or their kids are trying to sleep nearby.

I wonder what the ABC rules are about the licenses. Given that there's no nearby license that common obstacle would no problem for a new business owner. But after being terrorized by "Marias" for decades, I'm sure the neighbors would do all they can to prevent the issuance of a new license, like they did in the space next to Basic when it was an Italian restaurant.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
If that means there will be some peace and quiet in the neighborhood, even if only temporarily, great.

I honestly never understood peoples' opposition to that place though. I lived across the street from it for years and never was really bothered by it. Yes, it could get loud sometimes but many people, including myself, moved into the neighborhood knowing full well that the place was there. They chose to "come to the nuisance" as the legal term goes.

People complained earlier in this thread about their kids' bedroom windows facing the noisy building - well why did you choose to live by the place, especially when you have children? This is a city people. You want quiet, tree lined streets 24/7? Move further out into Essex or Warren County. You don't want to live that far from your job? Not my problem. Not the bar's or anybody else's problem. I honestly don't understand people who continue to live in this city when they have school-age children who could easily afford to live in a quiet suburb with decent public schools anyway.

The place met all the zoning requirements and was not breaking any laws simply by being a bar. Maybe they were in violation of noise-related laws but again, this is a city. Live with it.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
So, I overheard a guy outside the bar saying they sold the liquor license to another location. No idea if they did that under pressure or just for the money, but it sounds like they're gone forever.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:

That is awesome. I just noticed the signs on the outside of the place are gone. I'm trying to not get too excited.

Ditto! I had given up on that place ever going down, they seemed to have too much juice with the cops. I've fantasized about it being a nice quiet neighborhood pub, like the White Star or Hamilton Inn but with a pool table.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
In a city filled with strangely named bars/restaurants, New Music Box Cafe might be the winner. Viva La Mexico Taqueria Kitchen Cafe is another head scratcher.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
JCman24,
Music Box aka Maria's Bar has been closed since last Monday, and not just this last weekend. I asked a friend who is a bar owner in DTJC if he knew why they were closed, and he said he heard through the grapevine that they were in some trouble. He wasn't willing to give details, but said he knew and wasn't surprised they were closed. He said he had no idea if the closure was permanent.
I hate this damn bar...I live across the street from it and the clientele it attracts for the most part are the scum of the earth. I hope they finally got busted for letting folks deal drugs out of there and or for serving those under 21.

That is awesome. I just noticed the signs on the outside of the place are gone. I'm trying to not get too excited.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 20:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
JCman24,
Music Box aka Maria's Bar has been closed since last Monday, and not just this last weekend. I asked a friend who is a bar owner in DTJC if he knew why they were closed, and he said he heard through the grapevine that they were in some trouble. He wasn't willing to give details, but said he knew and wasn't surprised they were closed. He said he had no idea if the closure was permanent.
I hate this damn bar...I live across the street from it and the clientele it attracts for the most part are the scum of the earth. I hope they finally got busted for letting folks deal drugs out of there and or for serving those under 21.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It looks like the Music Box has been closed all weekend. I can't believe how quiet the neighborhood is when the idiots aren't around. Someone PLEASE tell me this is a permanent change.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 4:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
yeah definitely contact the ABC, they're the only ones with power to control things like this and issue fines or revoke license. And they are police, and they're all pretty great people.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 17:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/21 0:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I wanted to say thank you to everyone that posted solutions.
I will keep you all posted to what develops.
Thanks a bunch
-Rush

Posted on: 2014/2/4 17:41

Re: Ghetto Bar on 7th and Monmouth Street
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Write your council member and write the mayor (fulops@jcnj.org). Tell them about the city employees involved. Write to them frequently and encourage your neighbors to do the same.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
File a complaint with the ABC or whatever it is called in NJ. Get your neighbors to do the same. That's how Cafe Brandt - currently Rustique - lost their liquor license.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Exactly. Lots of Hispanic cops hang out there. If you complain you'll get the classic Jersey City shrug of the shoulders and "close your windows" reply.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 16:22

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017